How Does Atc System Work?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Luk396-e464, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Luk396-e464

Luk396-e464 Active Member

Hi, does anyone know how ATC system works?
    I tried to play with it on Boston Sprinter on board of ACS 64 but i had some problems: for example if i'm running at 125 mp/h and the ATC suddenly shows me the maximum speed is 90 mp/h when i go over a flashing green signal, i press the confirm and i begin slowing but after 5 seconds the ATC system sounds again and the emergency brake activates. So i don't have the time to join that speed's limit.
    Is it normal the time of reactions is very little?
    Can anybody tell me how it works?

2. bensconnolly

bensconnolly Member

ATC is traffic control. It's looking at the line ahead and slowing you down based on hazards ahead - other trains, switching tracks, etc. What you need to do:

Acknowledge ATC
    Cut the power and put the Brakes into Suppression.

You need to do the above steps in a set number of seconds (unsure exactly) or it will set itself into Emergency.

Tip - you can take yourself out of Suppression braking if you want, there's no time limit on how long it should take you to get down to the lower speed. It may ATC you again in this time, and you just follow the steps again. Also, if you get an ATC alert and you're already below the reduced limit, just acknowledge but no need to brake.

3. Driver8666

Driver8666 Active Member

5 seconds. That's the time you've got. I'd keep the brakes in Suppression, until you get close to the target speed. You can increase this to shorten the time.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Sounds like you applied the brakes, but not to the required degree (suppression) in time

5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

There's a 'US signalling' stream tonight. Perhaps Matt will also discuss this topic. I recommend that you reserve your time :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Luk396-e464

I think you are right

7. Luk396-e464

If i was running at maximum speed of the route and i set the brake on "suppression", in real life, do you think the passengers would be annoyed by the suppression brake's force or the subjected force is tolerable too?

(the question is a bit twisted)

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If that's how it works in real life, and I would imagine it's equivalent to step 2 on a standard UK braking system, then no, the passengers wouldn't be getting thrown about. If the train is on a line capable of high speed then the signalling would be set far enough apart so that the driver could respond in time and set the braking force well in time to slow down without being too aggressive about it

9. Luk396-e464

Anyway, thank you very much for informations

10. Luk396-e464

But the rule of 5 seconds have to be applyed also for the F40PH?