Ntp: Class 122 "bubble Cars"

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by finntd#7891, Sep 6, 2021.

1. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

Hi, This suggestion is about the
    Class 122 "Bubble Cars"
    These are Single unit DMUs with dual cabs, and DTCs with 1 cab for 2 Car Units.
    quick note about the DTCs, it is Unknown whether some of the DTCs had Gangways or not, so it would be a Cool variation on it.
    BR Class 122 DBS.jpg

Liveries:
    These units can come in B&G And just All Blue.

Services:
    These units can gain there own Services how ever 2 Car sets can be made for the standard services via the DTC Or just coupling 2 of these together, they may also appear on the ends of class 101 trains, i would also like to see Coupling and Uncoupling services.

Layering
    These units can Layer into TVL, DL, and WSR, Along side other routes around the same time period.

Shameless plug to another suggestion:
    If you want to see another suggestion with some more Old British DMUs, considering checking out this suggestion of mine, Light Passenger Pack: A Ntp Suggestion | Dovetail Games Forums.

The End:
    Thats the end of this one, a Quickie but imo NTP Needs another loco added, anyways if you liked this check out LPP As i shamelessly put in like a second before it, goodbye.

• Like Like x 9
  2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

It's unlikely that driving trailers built specifically for use with Classes 121 and 122 would have gangway connections because there'd be nothing for one to connect to.

3. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

NTP is a great route and anything that can be added to it is a win.

• Like Like x 1
  4. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

The Class 122 plus classes 123, 124 and 128. Take my money DTG.

5. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I'd personally also recommend the Class 124 TransPennine Express units, they were six-car units specifically built for the Trans-Pennine route and were in their last years of service around the time our version is set, at that time operating as four-car units mostly. 1280px-04.09.83_Hull_Class_124_(5931457833).jpg

The 124s were replaced by Class 31/4s operating with four coaches, which I believe was what the 31 was originally intended for in TSW but supposedly some technical reason meant it wasn't possible and the loco was a Tees Valley add-on instead. Perhaps the preservation crew can introduce this to the timetable as a new layer when they get around to NTP.

Either way, the Northern TransPennine is one of my favourite routes in TSW (in part because I went to uni in Manchester so I've ridden the route a fair few times to Leeds and York) so any additions and new layers on the route would be a big win for me.

• Like Like x 5
  6. finntd#7891

I wanted the Class 124s when i joined this Forum too, I did put it in my LPP Suggestion as i shamelessly linked in this suggestion, so check it out

• Like Like x 3
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

They were built specifically to be used by them even not being gangwayed. They were to extend capacity. Non gangwayed vehicles were common on the railways and were still used on Network South East up to the late 80's/early 90's.

However class 122's were never used on the NTP, I think Newton Heath had a couple of sets for a short while but it is very unlikely they would have been used on the NTP route, I think York too had a couple. The class 122's were pretty much based in Scotland, the West Midlands and the South West. The upcoming Cornish route is a suitable route for the class 122's.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

How late were the 122s used in Cornwall? That would be an interesting one if it overlaps with the period of the route.

9. elarthur

Until around 1993/94 I think.

• Like Like x 2
  10. elarthur

This still makes the other first generation dmu classes a worthwhile alternative as they would have still been in use at the time NTP was set. The main difficulty is that there were no survivors from classes 123, 124 and 128 and to recreate them would have to be done via old photos, drawings and documents rather than physically measuring up. Fortunately they pretty much had the same or similar engines and equipment as the already featured Class 101. It would be so nice to experience these (and other) long defunct British Rail classes as they were withdrawn and scrapped before I became interested in railways.

11. finntd#7891

i can see where you are coming from with the whole "they where not really used on the IRL NTP" but The sources i saw did state they where used in the Midland Region, and some where allocated to Newton Heath, even if they were not used on the Route IRL, The TSW Version could IMO Use a new Loco or DMU, and these units felt unique enough that i felt it would fit, The 108s would be nice but they are very similar to the 101 may as well have them in a New Route, besides I already suggested the Very fitting 123,123,128s before.

I Sais once Twice maybe even 3 times, but the Albion 230hp of the 123/124/128s still exist on Class 114/115s so they can hopefully source sounds from them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. theorganist

There were class 122's at Newton Heath for a very short time and I doubt they would have been used on the NTP route they would have been used on more local services. A class 108 would have been a better choice than the class 101 for the period the route is set in as both Neville Hill and Newton Heath and Longsight had many more of those. A class 108 would be a very useful addition to the route as would a class 104 possibly. The class 123/124 would be very nice to have.

• Like Like x 2
  13. theorganist

It will do I imagine and two of them were painted in Regional Railways livery.

• Like Like x 2
  14. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

Newton Heaths 122s I think were the exclusive domain of the Stalybridge to Stockport services, I don't think they ever ran across NTP proper with one exception, the 122 Route learning DMU in the early 80s did make the occasional trip along the line, but not in passenger service for obvious reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  15. finntd#7891

i still see the whole worry about it not being realistic, i can Understand now the 2 main sources i use for First gen DMUs seem to disagree, no worries i have determined another, probably more fitting class, im currently in the process of making a new Suggestion.

16. theorganist

Well the class 122 is still a good suggestion for the new Cornish route, they were certainly used on the St. Ives branch.

• Like Like x 2
  17. finntd#7891

definetly, most likely though if its made it would probably layer to NTP, DL, TVL, Esc
    also i need an Opinion, how would the Class 120 fit on NTP?

18. theorganist

Newton Heath had an allocation of class 120's in the early/mid 80's, some of them running with class 101 centre carriages. I haven't seen any evidence of them operating over the NTP route but they may well have done. I have a suspicion they more likely were used over the North Wales Coast and maybe services to Blackpool. They were getting quite tired by then as they were generally high mileage units being used for longer distance Cross Country services for most of their lives.

• Like Like x 1