Core Update (8th September) Feedback - High Gpu Usage & Temps In Main Menu

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by HeyYoPaulie!, Sep 8, 2021.

1. HeyYoPaulie!

HeyYoPaulie! Well-Known Member

Having just installed the latest update, I'm still experiencing very high GPU usage and temperatures when navigating the main menu.

For context, I'm experiencing higher GPU temperatures in the main menu than when in-game. Something isn't right and requires optimisation.

A couple of questions for DTG:

1. What does this entry in the patch notes for today's update specifically relate to?
    • Improved performance on the route selection menu navigation
    2. Are you aware of / experiencing high GPU temps when using the main menu and if so, is this on your radar to fix?

Thank you.

Note: Results based on a vanilla Engine.ini file.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

It is absolutely normal if in normal gameplay you are CPU limited. Then in the menus (which are also 3D scenes) there isn't much CPU processing required, so the GPU can go as fast, as it is able to. This is totally safe. My GPU is at 95+% usage all the time, because I'm gpu limited.

But if the temps are in the operational range, there is no reason to be worried. And if they are not, then it is something you have to address ( de-dusting the GPU cooler). It isn't something that the SW should address.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  3. HeyYoPaulie!

Hi, I have a new high-spec gaming rig.

GPU utilisation being higher in the main menu than it is in gameplay suggests something hasn't been correctly optimised.

This issue has been reported elsewhere by myself and others:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/main-menu-overheating-of-the-gpu.44021/#post-359428
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/new-ui-high-gpu-temps-utilisation.44423/

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

From my side, crash when closing the game seems to be disappeared. Performance in the menu is better. Cannot say about high GPU usage in the menus as I have my fps limited, so it wasn't a problem for me before.

5. Winzarten

"I have a new high-spec gaming rig." doesn't mean much, and doesn't change what I've written.
    Even with with something like 10900k, or 5800x you can be CPU limited in-game, becasue TSW doesn't spread the load evenly on all cores, as it is very difficult to parallelize things like physics.

So if you pair a modern multicore CPU with something like a 3070, or 3080, you will easily get CPU limited in-game.
    In menu the scene is alowed to run as fast as possible, becasue there isn't much CPU stuff do be done, thus increasing loads and temperatures.

According your links, your maximum GPU temp is 60 degrees... Nvidia GPU have a temperature target around 85 degrees - this is the temperature when they will limit boosting, so they stay at this temperature. So 60 is totally safe and nothing to really worry about.

6. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Where is the patch notes location? Thank you in advance

7. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

8. Skyz2020

9. aladdesign

aladdesign New Member

My rig is rather slow (i5 7500, 16 Gb, GTX 1650, WD Black SSD), 'High' preset, render scaling 102% (I call it 'better FXAA') and I've noticed some improvements. On East Coastway the lagging is minimal and not noticeable most of the time, on some heavy routes as GWR it still lags (especially at full speed 125 mph) but not so often. With 2-3 more optimizations like this it can be normal UE4 game I believe )

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jinoss17

This update doesn't improve performance in-game.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. HeyYoPaulie!

The GPU is running between 90% - 100% in the main menu

The GPU is running between 80% - 91% in game

The CPU is running between 40% - 50% at all times, in menus and in-game.

12. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Is it really a high priority issue that the GPU usage is high in the main menu? I'm getting very high fps there anyway. Unless you are actually lagging in the main menu I'm not seeing the issue with high GPU usage (I guess coil whine could be one thing but that should only occur if you are running with unlimited FPS afaik).

13. Jinoss17

Wasted electricity.

14. Winzarten

This is your performance chart, from your linked post.

chrome_2021-09-08_15-47-41.png

You can see that the CPU usage is much lower in menu.
    This is textbook CPU limitation in-game, that dissapears in menu.

This is totally normal, and nothing to be concerned about, and really nothing the devs should fix. Unless you want them to move to the TS style 2D menu.

Unless you limit your framerate, optimizing the menu scene would change nothing, as you would still be GPU limited in them, and the optimization would just result in higher FPS in menus, but the usage would stay at 100%..

15. Victor4815

Victor4815 Member

• Reduced the volume of performance spikes reported during game play.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I have a I9 with 32GB RAM and a 3080Ti and there is nothing normal about the PC fans sounding like it's about to take off just because I'm scrolling a game menu. As soon as I start the route the fans switch off

• Like Like x 4
  17. HeyYoPaulie!

GPU utilisation is higher / worse in the new UI than it was in 4.23.

Updates are supposed to optimise and enhance performance, not negatively impact it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Skyz2020

Not sure if you guys are getting what we are on ps4 but the 08 is borked in Livery designer. Try a Livery designer 08 in scenario planner and you will find it spawns wrong way and creates red signals... just a heads up (I have logged a ticket for Adam's team)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  19. Winzarten

Higher isn't worse. You cannot judge performance optimization by GPU utilization.
    If you give a GPU a 3D scene, no matter how well optimized, it will always try to render is as fast as possibly, if possible utilizing the GPU by 100%. This is the native state of the GPU, it is what the GPU driver aims for.

The only time when you will not get GPU utilization to 100% is when something is preventing it to do so, either the CPU is not capable to deliver rendering data fast enough (this is what is happening for you in-game), or when you manually cap the framerate.

If you want to judge performance optimization you always need to be looking on FPS, but mainly of frametimes chart. And you should be looking on it in the same scene. TSW Rush Hour menu is not the same scene as the old menu.

My GPU utilization is the same in menu as it is in-game (100%), as this is always system dependant.

20. FeralKitty

I agree it's not normal.

In fact, an MMORPG had recently been bricking a certain manufacturer's video card (due to overheating), because the game's main menu wasn't frame rate limited. The issue was fixed by limiting the main menu's frame rate.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  22. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

The bricked 3090s are the result of a manufacturing defect. Limiting menu framerate is a design decision, not a hardware safety decision.

As for people asking for "optimisation," what exactly do you expect? Optimising the menu would just result in higher FPS in the menu. The solution to stressed GPUs would be a combination of a framerate cap and fewer objects/lights to raster.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  23. FeralKitty

A defect exposed by the game’s uncapped main menu FPS.

To suggest it’s the card’s fault, not the game’s fault, would be ignoring the responsibility of the game developers (who did something to fix the issue rather than ignoring it).

Again, it should be a responsibility, not some excuse to neglect an issue. No one needs this particular menu to run at an uncapped frame rate.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Ignoring what developer responsibility? The game developers weren't executing malicious code or intentionally exploiting a hardware flaw. It's the fault of the hardware manufacturer and they took responsibility for it. It is that simple.

Cheers

25. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Hmm, my menus are only hitting around 34fps, where the actuall meat of the game is 60fps (I have set max 60 in game settings) Is there already a menu frame limiter?

The menu is still causing 95-100% GPU usage and a high fan speed though. I'm no expert but it doesn't seem right that a simple screen is doing that!

• Like Like x 2
  26. Winzarten

EVGA Confirmed that it was a production issue, a soldering issue
    https://www.mmorpg.com/news/evga-new-world-gpu-issue-caused-by-production-issue-2000122991

Those cards were defective from production, sooner or later they would fail. Similar high FPS situations are very common if you try to play older games.
    Devs "fixed it" becaue it was the sensible and easy thing to do, as game bricking cards is not good PR, even though the SW can never be the root cause.

Regular user level SW is not capable to brick HW. You just tell the HW, via standard DirectX, OpenGl, Vulkan API, what you would like to draw. It is the responsibility of the HW to regulate all power and temperature parameters to do it safely. I mean, the manufacturer is the only one that really knows the architecture, components used and their limits, why would somebody else by responsible?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  27. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Regardless of everything you're saying, whether it's safe and fine and perfectly healthy, people don't want their systems sounding like a plane taking off and chucking out Quite A Lot of Heat while their game is supposedly sat "idling" in the menu screen. If it's a simple task to limit the frame rate or whatever in the menu to make this no longer happen, then it's a good design decision. Clearly quite a lot of paying customers are asking for it.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Winzarten

Becasue lots of paying customers make the errornous assumption that HW stopped working when playing this game, it must be the games fault... People had the same card bricked playing other games, but because there were usually older titles that didn't had the amount of players, it never reached headline.
    And we're talking about a $1500 MSRP card, $2500+ in this economy.. Are you really suggesting that it is ok to tiptoe around these kind of cards, worrying that you might load it too much? Seriously?

Yes limiting FPS in menus makes sense, becasue rendering a menu at 1000+FPS makes no practical sense, but it should never be a reliability issue.

But this is not TSW case, i.e. I'm reaching similar FPS in menu than playing, becasue the TSW menu is a full fledged game scene. So, what do you want to cap it, 30FPS?

So, I still don't understand what the problem is. Becasue the way TSW is behaving in menu is totally normal when you consider that TSW menu is regular in-game scene, just without the physical procesing that would load the CPU. It is not reaching insane temps, or loading the card in an unusual way. So what people want? A 2D menu?

29. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

You're entirely missing the point, once again. I don't care about graphic card reliability. I don't care about special hardware or people who think a $2,500 graphics card for a gaming PC is money well spent. I don't care about some other game breaking or not breaking people's PCs.

I care about my PS4 Pro making a right old fuss about displaying a menu screen, when literally every other game can be left in the menu without the fans spinning up and without feeling like an actual radiator. I honestly don't care whether they cap it to 30fps or 10, or if it's even still a 3D scene at all - I just want to be able to choose a route quickly and easily without the system having to do everything it can to keep cool. I don't think that's unreasonable.

• Like Like x 7
  30. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

well i just swapped out the 3080TI for an old 1080TI I had sitting around and its exactly the same. the PC sounds like its about to take off in the menu screen so I dont buy that its an harware issue esspecially as its happening on consoles

• Like Like x 3