[poll] Dlc For Great Western Express

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by NorthRail1, Jan 20, 2018.

?
  1. Thames Valley Branches

90 vote(s)
    50.3%
  2. Reading - Oxford Extension

105 vote(s)
    58.7%
  3. Class 57 Night Riviera

51 vote(s)
    28.5%
  4. Class 387

79 vote(s)
    44.1%
  5. Class 800/802

71 vote(s)
    39.7%
  6. Class 165

35 vote(s)
    19.6%
  7. Freight Locomotives (Please specify in comments)

23 vote(s)
    12.8%
  8. Extension to Swindon/Bristol/South Wales

58 vote(s)
    32.4%
  9. Class 180

35 vote(s)
    19.6%
  10. GWR Castle Class and other heritage locos

22 vote(s)
    12.3%
  11. Reading - Westbury Extension

28 vote(s)
    15.6%
  12. Reading - Westbury Extension

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  13. Reading - Basingstoke Extension

19 vote(s)
    10.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

There have been many proposals for add-ons for Great Western Express in this forum for both route extensions and locomotives. Like the previous Rapid Transit dlc poll, https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/new-locomotives-for-rapid-transit-dlc.2674/, I have set up this poll to give the developers an idea which locomotives and route extensions for Great Western Express people want to see the most. If you have any other suggestions I will add them to the poll. You can choose up to 6 options in the poll.

If voting for Reading - Westbury, please vote for the first option only!! I accidentally put that option in the poll twice.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Anything that expands existing DLC rail networks gets my vote period rather than just adding new isolated short routes. I would prefer extensions that go off in different directions to create variety, but also extensions that lengthen the main route of course. But I am a little unclear if this is actually planned by DTG, or just something everyone keeps talking about hoping it will happen, but not really knowing for sure.

I also checked freight locomotives above, not for any specific model engine but in general to add more than just people movers to the route. Freight usually involves longer trains than passenger service, or switching operations, as well as more hiccups due to being 2nd priority to passenger services (having to hold at a red waiting for high priority traffic). At least if the scenarios and services are designed to match the real world, that would be the case for freight. Less predictable, more dynamic.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

How about having a reading to cardiff/bristol extension? Why only oxford? Id vote for that in a poll :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. NorthRail1

DTG would not make the route as far as Wales because it would take too long and they wouldn't be able to make a profit out of such a long route, this is why all current routes are less than 50 miles. Whilst Wales would be too far, Didcot and Oxford would be a more reasonable distance for DTG to make.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

Thats fair enough i suppose but still you should be pushing the boundaries to exceed expectations.......if they will offer several extensions seperately for a price then thats good but as a train driver and passenger, 50miles is pretty poor if thats the limitations they will offer in future.......you want up to 2hours driving time one way.....and the same back, thats my thoughts anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

How come a Great Western Castle Class steam locomotive pack and an extension to Swindon are not options in this poll? I'd choose those over these options because I think those are necessary DLC options for Great Western Express.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JackRyan

JackRyan Member

I would prefer an extension to Swindon as well, maybe with class 800/1 in the pack.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NorthRail1

When I created this poll, it was a compilation of the different proposals already on the forum, I did not find a Castle Class proposal. At this stage in the development of Train Sim World, i doubt that DTG would be able to make a steam locomotive due to the complexities of making such a locomotive. Also, if they were to bring the Castle Class to TSW I would prefer a Great Western-era steam route for it to run on rather than the modern day Great Western Express route.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NorthRail1

Swindon, like Wales which I mentioned earlier, would probably be too far at this stage which is why I put an Oxford extension as an option. Hopefully in the future, if the route is extended to Oxford, they will be able to extend to Swindon as well.

10. JackRyan

JackRyan Member

Swindon to Reading is 40 miles, much of in in the middle of nowhere so it could be achievabile in my opinion, but we'll see.
    For the moment I casted my vote for Oxford

11. NorthRail1

• Like Like x 2
  12. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Just Trains have the Western Mainlines (Paddington - Bristol/Cardiff/Exeter) for Train Simulator 2018, they have an extension from Exeter St. Davids to Plymouth and they are working on extending the route all the way to Penzance. They also have other long routes such as the Chiltern Mainline (London - Birmingham, 112 miles), Newcastle - Edinburgh (125 miles), Paris - St-Pierre-des-Corps (136 miles) and more.

While DTG might not see a business case for such long routes, other parties definitely do. So come on DTG, release the tools :D

• Like Like x 4
  13. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Over the weekend, I started looking at 3rd party extensions for current routes for Train Simulator and I was surprised to see it seems to only exist for the UK. Was I just not looking hard enough?

For example the "Wycombe Railway & Joint Line" from Steam Sounds Supreme which when coupled with DTG DLC (Riviera Line 1950's, Falmouth Branch, Woodhead Route, Isle of Wight and West Somerset), you get an entire rail network all tied together covering hundreds of miles as part of a single map. See the map here: http://steamsoundssupreme.com/page_fwrp01.html).

I see now why this poll came up for the GWE because it seems there has been a pattern of doing these route extensions for the UK routes. I guess my point is, given the relative shortness of the TSW routes, I have been hoping and assuming all along that route extensions would be a lot more common (perhaps released by DTG as well as 3rd party). But again, I haven't actually seen posts by DTG saying that this is going to happen. Is this a confirmed (one day, but confirmed) plan by DTG, or just a hope by the community that DTG will say yes.

For TS, the North East Corridor was expanded a couple times by DTG, and I have that DLC. I would hope one day, though, so see TSW (and TS if it doesn't already exist) tie the entire NEC from Boston to DC or something reasonable in between. NEC NY for TSW takes the first step of actually going through NY Penn station. All the TS DLC ends at NY Penn (goes NY Penn and North, or NY Penn and South, but you can't drive a train straight through the station). So I am hopeful that will change for TSW.

I can also see that I will likely be upgrading my DLC for the UK (for TS) because it seems so well supported.

14. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

DTG has never officially said that they are extending any DLC for TSW. Its only been said that they look into how they could do it and would be interested in it.
    The only DLC that has "extended" something so fart is the GP40-2 that has brought some Scenarios and changes into Service Mode in Heavy Haul.

15. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt they will extend the GWE or any other route now that they have Xbox one to contend with as that limits how complex the routes can be.

16. JackRyan

JackRyan Member

They seriously need to reconsider they strategy. So far TSW is a failure from a commercial point of view: reviews on steam are mostly negative and sales are not going well (via steamdb.info 60k copies sold and they are not increasing and 200 players a day so imagine ho many bought the dlc). And that’s on pc wich is the most friendly environment for a simulation. If they keep limiting routes and publish that kind of contents, they will fail very soon.

• Like Like x 3
  17. LTEcactus

LTEcactus Active Member

There's one route that's missing from the poll, the Berks & Hants line from Reading to Westbury.
    It's a lot more interesting than Reading to Swindon/Oxford.
    It has better scenery, and a lot of tight corners therefore there's changing speed limits to keep you on your toes.
    There's variety in Services with Semi fast services to Bedwyn and Stopping services to Newbury operated with the class 166, and intercity services towards Exeter & Plymouth operated by HSTs.
    There's extra slower HST services that stop at Newbury & Pewsey.
    Obviously a lot of freight trains from the Somerset quarries as well.

18. NorthRail1

Reading to Westbury now added. Due to the increase in options, 6 votes now allowed.

Please vote for the first Reading - Westbury option only!! I accidentally added it twice.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  19. DANNYBOY2487

DANNYBOY2487 Active Member

Won't Stop having bigger longer routes in PC Version

• Like Like x 4
  20. NorthRail1

It would be a mistake for Dovetail Games not to extend GWE because this poll shows the demand for an extension with 65% voting for an Oxford extension and 50% for Thames Valley branches. If limitations posed by the Xbox version stop these expansions from coming to PC, it would be very disappointing.

• Like Like x 5
  21. DANNYBOY2487

DANNYBOY2487 Active Member

I'm sure the PC Version and the Xbox Version are coded differently

22. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Both the Xbox and PC use DirectX to render games, and Microsoft's goal was that the Xbox is very nearly a PC regarding game development. The coding is relatively similar. Also, Unreal Engine 4 is designed to make cross platform development easier (PC, Xbox, Playstation, etc.) by offering a common coding and data environment. I'm sure that is a key benefit why DTG chose UE4.

So the issue, I assume, is more a matter of the complexity of the graphics objects (polygons, texture quality, level of detail, lighting and other effects), not the quantity of them (i.e. not the length or expansiveness of the route). TSW only has to render what the user can see, so route length should not matter unless it is a matter of storage space for the world data. I assume most Xbox users get large USB memory sticks with more than enough space to store lots of games, or swap them when storing data for large world games like Skyrim or TSW. I mean, over time, short route or long, if DTG wants to sell DLC to Xbox users, the user will have to have a large USB stick, or dedicate a stick just for TSW DLC. But that shouldn't prevent making long routes or extending existing routes.

I assume the reason DTG is making shorter routes is simply a matter of development time due to a more complex graphical world (more objects, or more detailed objects), but having little or nothing to do with the Xbox.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Kentora

Kentora Member

you could replace the second Reading - Westbury option by the Reading - Basingstoke option

cheers

24. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

This is the likely reason; TSW doesn't have an large asset library like TS does so route making is taking longer, it involves a lot of custom creation. Also, it appears the development are not being given a long time to develop either. Maybe three to four months. I'd expect longer routes down the line or possible expansion of existing routes.
    This is a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
  25. NorthRail1

Unfortunately, once you've added an option to a poll, you cannot change or remove it.

26. JackRyan

JackRyan Member

Route building in ts is just a matter of creating the rails, creating the assets and placing them beside the rails. In tsw i think it’s quite the same, but with the difference that many assets have to be created from scratch since this is a new simulator. Once they have more, the process will expedite.
    And extending the gwe might be easier since many object already exist. So I wouldn’t think that this is a remote possibiliy

• Like Like x 2
  27. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

I hope you are right, just have to wait and see.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

OK, showing my ignorance... I just realized that the Xbox (most models) do have a hard disk and of course you can attach a USB hard disk, not just a USB memory stick. I thought this was the case, but before posting my previous comment, I tried to confirm and all I saw was USB and disc (Blu-ray, etc.) storage. So my previous comment about storage space for DLC does not apply. There is plenty of space available on the Xbox. I am even less concerned about how the Xbox will affect DLC for the PC now.

29. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

My thought from DTG would be: "We'll cross that bridge when we get there". As for DLC, Xbox accessories has exterior storage devices that will go up to 1TB. So, wouldn't be worried yet until further news with both more new DLC or Xbox in general

30. SeaHawk14

SeaHawk14 Member

Has any dev seen this? I'd really like some feedback to see how much our suggestions actually count towards future content.

• Like Like x 1
  31. NorthRail1

They probably have seen it but they probably won't comment and probably won't use this to decide which dlc to create.

• Like Like x 3
  32. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

It might give them a rough idea of what people want though.

33. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

IMO it would be sweet to have every future UK route DLC as a further extension, starting from GWE, which will expand rail network while remaining fully interlinked. It hurts diversity though, but still...

34. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

It would be a very fundamentally decisive path to take if they were to just expand existing things, and changing the methodology is something I also expect DTG not to do. They clearly think they need more content right now, even if it’s rushed, so they’ll probably just keep getting routes out from random places, but at the same time without leaving their safe spaces in the UK, US, and Germany.

• Like Like x 1
  35. NorthRail1

Agreed, it will be a long time before DTG expand away from the UK, USA & Germany. Hopefully in the future they will expand some routes like they have done with TS1 routes recently such as the Airport extension to West Rhine and the Salt Lake extension to Soldier Summit. At the moment though, they probably will just release random new routes.

36. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Well, you could do the Reading to Gatwick airport extension. It runs through Guilford and gives you a jumping off point for South West Trains and Southern.

Or aim for Wales.

• Like Like x 1
  37. NorthRail1

In my opinion, I think DTG would go in the direction of Wales, not Gatwick. There is probably more demand for Wales as well.

38. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

This vote is obsolete. We all know that the 387 is coming. We've all seen the datamined video.

PS: If you don't have an integrated sarcasm detector, I recommend you check the functionality of your external one.

39. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

With the BR Class 47 coming with WSR, I hope that the Class 57 makes it to GWE soon after.

40. A3fan

A3fan New Member

I think DTG should add a class 35 for freight services as it would work brilliantly with the diseil legends of the great western add on as it will give palyers another option to relive 60s and 70s western nostagla. As it is always fun having an diseil hydralic locomotives on an route. Also the class 57 night riveria is a brilliant option as class 57 were used all over britain wiht many liveries and some sleeper coaches. However instead of sleeper coaches it should be Mk 1 or 2 pullman coaches as it would be brilliant making an blue pullman service being pulled by a class 57. For heritage locos i think the Gwr castle class and Gwr 14xx as they are perfect for this route as you could have a 14xx pulling a suburban train while having a castle class pull an express train between didcot, oxford and Paddington. I think you should add an option to the poll asking if their should be any kinds of new rolling stock (coaches, locos and etc) that should be added as their are so many options for this route.

41. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Chose Class 57 Thames Valley 800/802 & 387 extensions to South Wales via Swindon & Bristol because it makes GWML London Paddington to Reading. One of the special paint trains can be 800 321 with a Face Mask paint scheme. Can lead to SEHS getting its own version 395 002 & 395 017 WCML South 390 042 & 390 112

Class 387 do commuter and stopping services to Newbury & Didcot longer runs to Bristol if no Class 800/802.
    Superlabs Travel Class 387 Bristol to London Paddington

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  42. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

North Downs Line is a good choice and will link Reigate with Reading.

43. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

By all means leave out signalling, stations, platforms etc... you know, everything the player interacts with. And then you have portals and so on.

Yes, scenery building is "make assets, place assets", but making them work in game is a bit more than that, for example when you place rails you have to say which direction they work in, what speed etc. If you don't do that then you might end up with odd speed changes on the HUD (such as those South of ECR on BML) or sidings which you can drive into but not out of (which was on one of the Glasgow 3rd party routes in TS1)

• Like Like x 2
  44. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

freight locos:
    Class 67
    Class 47 (in EWS livery)
    Class 08 (in EWS livery)
    freight wagons:
    FEA's
    MJA's
    VGA's
    HHA's
    and more that i can't remember

• Like Like x 1
  45. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Regardless of the practicality I do think route extensions must come. Paddington to Reading is one of the most frustrating runs, 22 minutes in the HST and you’re done. Oxford is the logical end point for the LTV service followed by the branches, including the freight only lines. I don’t think Reading to Bristol will come, Swindon would add a slightly longer route to nowhere, and believe me living in the place it’s exactly that!

• Like Like x 2
  46. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

47. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Swindon would be the extension to enable further extensions. It may be a pokey backwater on the way to hell (driven past the place many times and never seen a need to stop there bar the Steam museum...), but it would unlock Bristol, South Wales, up towards the Midlands and down towards the southwest as possibilities:
    BTM (via Bath): 41 miles
    Cheltenham Spa (via Stroud): 43¼ miles
    Westbury (Wilts)(via Trowbridge): 32½ miles
    Newport (South Wales) : 56 miles

In other words for the price of six DLC we could have a proper network for HSTs to run on as well as 166, 345, 66, 60, 50, 59, 80x etc etc etc. If only DTG could solve their timetabling and trophy issues we could have an actual "train simulator" that can grow

I can understand why DTG chose to start with Paddington, it is a very "prestige station" after all, but really it shoots them in the foot as far as "building a proper network" is concerned simply because everywhere the railways go at any speed is so far from that terminus

48. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

All of them, but to choose 2 specific ones, its the extension reading to oxford (or longer) and as loco dlc the cl57.

20mins of HST as it is now, is just showing of the potential which could be with a longer route.

49. BMW M3 GTR 2005

BMW M3 GTR 2005 Member

The loco is like to see is a freightliner Class 90 or a 57

50. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

You would not see a 90 on the GWML. One of the most iconic locos at least second gen diesel would be a Class 59 for the Mendip stone trains. If the route were extended to Westbury via the B&H, these would be an absolute must along with Mendip Rail stone wagons.

• Like Like x 2