A Whiter Shade Of Shame | Sherman Hill

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by breblimator, Nov 25, 2021.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Great DLC, almost...

The technical aspect cries out to heaven for vengeance. Your (DTG) explanations, blaming customers (.ini) stopped being funny a long time ago. Get to work. Or maybe we don't know something - turnover is inversely proportional to Steam ratings?

You've lost control of the code.

The darkness isn't as thick as it was on Skyhook's recent stunts, but that's a small consolation.

Conceptually, the game is evolving, and this is heartening, but the recent DLCs are messy. You bury a lot of potential under a pile of dirt.

I'm afraid, it's not just my opinion (recent reviews of your products).

Stop misleading customers and change the "hardware requirements" sections to suit the realities... for a good start.

BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  2. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Hey breblimator just to explain a little more, there will be instances where players.ini settings are causing problems.

However as was discussed on the stream we acknowledge this won't be responsible for everyone.

If anyone is experiencing performance issues such as fps drops it would be really helpful if you could provide us with as much information as possible detailing when and where this is happening. (Pictures and video footage would be extra helpful)

The recommendation at the moment is to adjust your foliage settings from "ultra" to "medium".
    I understand this is less than ideal and we will investigate why these drops in performance are happening.

I see why you recommended we change the hardware requirements, however you shouldn't need an unnecessarily powerful machine in order to play this route.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

the specs are 8 GB RAM but people have found the Dresden route consumes 9GB RAM, so the specs cannot be correct anymore.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Whilst I disagree with a lot the OP states, I do agree that the advertised minimum specs are too low in order to get a good experience from the game, upto Rush Hour my RAM and CPU where both min spec, I really struggled with the rush hour routes on this spec. Upgrading my CPU and doubling my RAM to 16GB fixed the issues.

• Like Like x 1
  5. metro north railfan 224

metro north railfan 224 Active Member

The specs you are referring to are the minimum requirements which means that with those specs you can play the game only at the lowest settings. With specs like the ones that are mentioned in the minimum requirements that means you can run the game at the lowest settings without it crashing. Anything lower end then the game would freeze and crash

• Like Like x 1
  6. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

very good route i like

• Like Like x 1
  7. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

My pc is 12 years old, and i was tired of beeing around min requirements.

So i upgraded my ram to 64gb, 4gb graphics and changed to ssd. After a cpu quick service with thermal paste, its working at low temperatur again.

Sherman hill runs with no performance issues, settings around medium.

• Like Like x 1
  8. redrev1917

8GB RAM does cause the game to stall, stutter and crash on all 3 rush hour routes which is why I believe the min spec in this regard is wrong

• Like Like x 3
  9. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

Actually I am concerned about this too.
    If the functionality of existing DLCs gets damaged with new updates (on PC and console alike), this is not a good sign at all. This seemed to have happend to Hamburg (link, link) a couple of weeks or months ago, now to Cathcart (link). Both not legacy stuff, but full blown DLCs released after TSW2.
    And nobody seems to give a damn.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

8GB of ram shouldn't cause the game to crash, if you didn't mess with windows page file settings.

That said, I think DTG should realy try to address some of the core that have been plaguing this game for a long time - broken savegames, routing and dispatching error causing red lights. And really shorten the time it takes for these fixes to reach us... like how long are we waiting for the broken Talent 2 PZB fix on Rapid transit?

I wonder if this isn't linked to the recent changes to AI behavior in relation to red signals. I know that that change has broken several runs on Clinchfield. Cause is DTGs love to put the stop marker 5ft from the signals, this is causing the AI, with the new behavior, to stop for the red signal, before reaching its objective. So the AI never reaches its goal and blocks the line.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. tygerways#2596

Add Clinchfield (one of my favourite DLCs) to the list then.
    The congestion and red light issues may very well be connected with that. The fact that you can't get through the Cathcart introduction anymore most probably is not.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

The issue seems to be a lack of standardisation. Every DLC has different features, and none of them are centrally controlled in the core.

Locos are a prime example. Instead of having a central pool of locomotives, we've ended up with two 66s, three 143s etc.. Each version is slightly different to one another (or in the case of the 143s pretty majorly), and we end up with different bugs on each.

DTG have made their life so much harder by doing things this way

• Like Like x 10
  13. redrev1917

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kevinsim1046

Kevinsim1046 Active Member

Interestingly from my side, everything runs fine on my machine at ultra, except Risa - Dresden, that route is unplayable for me no matter what I change. I am running an i5 with 8GB ram and a GTX 970. Yes I do not get a stable 30FPS, but this is how I’ve played since launch, so it’s actually fine for me.

On SMH, I’m getting a stable 22FPS, but sometimes a bump up to 25-30FPS (with everything on ultra) with a few stutters in like 3 locations throughout the route, I’m impressed with it and loving it!

P.S. I have never touched any of my .ini files.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I recall that DTG's initial recommendation for TSW2 called for 16GB of system ram. I'm not sure when and why it was changed to only 8GB. I think we all know that 8GB is really insufficient to run the game at medium settings with reasonable fps. If you play at "low " settings or with fps in the teens, it's not much fun and not worth the price of admission.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kevinsim1046

Kevinsim1046 Active Member

I disagree. I am running on 8GB ram and on ultra I’m stable at around 22FPS, but if I drop foliage to medium and leave everything else as is, then I get a stable 30FPS. I think these FPS are perfectly acceptable. I can understand if you normally run at 60FPS and then drop to 30FPS, that you would be irritated, but this route runs just like any other route for me.

• Like Like x 2
  17. meridian#2659

I have no hardware problems, tsw is running with no problems when it comes to performance.

Totally agree about the loco versions. Every route has its features and rolling stock. Possible this is getting to a real problem.

Until now the amount of dlc wasnt as high. But how is the plan to keep the giant amount of growing content for tsw2 up ti date if its made peace by peace.

If dtg not nail this problem and solve it sooner or later, dtg will hire employee to fix the 17 different class 66 and 25 different electrostar versions.

Common..., that was the reason many companies broke their neck on real products. Standardisation physically isnt easy, but i dont understand why dtg put stones in their own path.

• Like Like x 4
  18. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Base ps4 and xbox one run on 8GB of ram and the game ran fine pre rush hour. Now it's just a mess on base last gen consoles. Current gen even has it's own problems and those have higher ram

I don't understand though why dtg makes sepreate versions of the same locos for tsw2. We have two different versions of the 143 and 146. Two different versions of the Class 377/4 as well. Why can't they just take the oringal and just add the improvements and update the route that the orinigal train runs on to accommodate for the updated train. There's no reason to sepreate things if they are the same and then have to wait for the Preserved Crew to add the updated train in a future update

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

On one hand there is too much DLC for some systems to cope with and even having it installed slows the game slightly.

On the other hand there are 3-4 versions of the same items.

It needs a bit of a rethink about versions etc so if possible it references one item with multiple ways of unlocking it e.g. one 101, unlocked via any of TVL, NTP or DL. When you want a new route to include that item, you put the updated item in the system replacing the old one and reference it from all the other dlcs and add the new route to the list. Liveries can be separate so there is e.g. one 363 and two liveries, the livery file is attached to the relevant DLC, you could even then sell liveries separately, locos separately etc. There are so many Dostos and yet you only need 2, one with high doors and one with low doors.

• Like Like x 3
  20. meridian#2659

Its similar with the class 47 and the 09:

- The cl. 47 from wsr has a different 3D model, and uses another sound model than the more accurate cl.47 from ntp. Here the Problems seem to show, thats for some reason its a big thing to apply upgrades, because every dlc is unique, instead of sharing a pool.

- The class 09 is basicly a class 08 with a different gearbox. Right now it lacks all the detailed features of the 08. With all the dev tools it should be possible with a small amount of effort to add those features, because they exist in the detailed version cl.08:

- Working Brake selector positions
    - Main battery switches
    - Manual fuel transfer Pump
    - Exhauster speed up
    --......... and so on.

With the dlc system now, they would need to build the 09 from scratch, thats why probably an upgraded version never will appear.

• Like Like x 1
  21. tygerways#2596

You are right, AI trains are not leaving the map in Elkhorn city (e.g., CRR Extra 3007 North, Journey Mode).
    So (at least) 3 DLCs I bought recently are bugged significantly after updates.
    And still no word on this from DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  22. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The quality does not keep up with the development of the game.
    In my opinion, this is a wrong approach.

Customer dissatisfaction resulting from this escalates faster than the excitement of new features.

• Like Like x 7
  23. meridian#2659

I have reproduced the issue right now:

Spawned on Foot at Elkhorn around 16:55, when the service 3007 is arriving, then i took over the train. --> Seems the AI stopps at the Red signal, but hasnt reached the stopping marker. So the task is incomplete and the train waiting in a loop.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1