Starting The Sd70ace With Intermodal Services

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by KDTW Flyer, Nov 26, 2021.

1. KDTW Flyer

KDTW Flyer New Member

Hey has anyone had success getting intermodal services to get moving forward?

I went through the hill start training session (with success) and I've tried to use a similar technique with these services.

But I get the throttle up to 4 and the train stretches out and stops then I try throttling up to 5 and the wheels just spin like nuts. then I reset the throttle to 0 and the train contracts again. It's like the end of the train is tied down or the brakes on the cars aren't releasing. All the services I've tried start on level ground.

2. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

You need to give the rear a LOT of time to release. On the display there's a BP pressure and one number is described as "rear", don't even try leaving unless that is at least 70-75.

3. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I had this problem, because I forgot to press a yellow button (I don't remember its function), on the console.

4. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

The banker com button above the console where the throttle and other control are located. Also you have to give it at least 5 minutes for the air to pump up. Do not pay attention to the HUD, look at that small figure on the screen that says rear it is under the left large number for the brake pipe pressure. Once that gets to 70 you can now apply some power to get moving. We now have a sim that is closer to real life but not there since I doubt many of us would wait the actual 30+ minutes it takes to pump up a long train.

5. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

Working exactly to real life would get the moaners out in force - IRL it takes a US loco 15 to 30 minutes just for engine start and the systems and MFDs to boot. Multiply that by 5 locos and then pressurize the brake system - goodbye half a morning!

6. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Why has no one mentioned using sand? Also, some screenshots would help in many cases.

7. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

I wouldn't use Sand unless you have genuine poor adhesion - even on a hill start you should be able to get moving without sand under normal circumstances once the brakes are off - in fact on a level start, notch 1 is all you need to get rolling once the brakes are off. The key is waiting for those brakes.

8. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Matt, and if we had a leaflet, that would be good.

9. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Update the cab with a paper, where all the notes are handwritten :D There's some room next to the Atari joystick holder, so it could be used for this

10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Think how much confusion and moaning would have been saved with a manual......

• Like Like x 6
  11. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

This is such an underrated comment -
    We shouldn't have to re-invent the wheel to understand how it works.

My day job is in Knowledge and Information management, and effective use of this can save soooooo much time, money, effort etc

12. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Or at least the in-game tutorial telling you "this may take several minutes, look out for the rear pressure value on the display".

13. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

100% this.

So, what, exactly happened with the manuals, I wonder? Was it too expensive? Did they lose a technical writer? Whatever the case it's surely coming back to bite them a little now.

I'd be satisfied with a 2-page summary: Basic setup info and any setup quirks on one page and , basic route map, and signalling summary on the other.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

If the number of streams Matt did over the last couple of days combined with the excessive number of train doesn‘t move threads since release are anything to go by, it would certainly seem so.

Indeed. I don‘t get why new players aren‘t told to watch for the pressure at the rear in the tutorial. If I was new to US trains, I‘d probably wonder why my train won‘t budge, too, just based on the in-game tutorials.

15. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

This is the kind of thing that community members can do on their own without access to inside info or proprietary software, so probably not a priority for DTG.

As a lawyer, let me add: people can’t write for s*** these days.