Year In Review Q&a - Ask Your Questions Here

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by DTG Natster, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

What steps are being taken to address the number of bugs in the game. I appreciate no game can be bug free, but the number of bugs in TSW 2 is excessive in my opinion and some bugs have been around for a long long time. I think DTG needs to take this issue more seriously and work harder to get rid of the bugs - especially long standing ones.

• Like Like x 10
  2. dosto762

dosto762 Well-Known Member

Are you considering updating night time reflections on older routes? As many players have been asking for better night reflections for a long time, hopefully it will be the same system as BRD

• Like Like x 1
  3. jarryd7470

jarryd7470 New Member

Understand about how much more challenging it is loading 1 new unit into memory vs multiple of the same but for the London Commuter on the PS4 would there be any plans to add at least the class 375 layer onto the ps4? Having the 377 and the 387 already I think it would be really cool to have the whole Electrostar units available to drive in the different liveries on the 1 route.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cookiemonster1983

cookiemonster1983 Member

Its in Pennsylvania, USA.
    The curve itself is pretty spectacular looking by the looks of it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

What is the reasoning for seeling access to the creator's club in a bundle with the SPG/SKA/BKL expansion? There doesn't seem to be any link between the two.

• Like Like x 2
  6. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Why are loco functionalities such as distance counters no longer being included in modern routes when they were functional in older routes.

Is this over-simplifying loco controls the direction DTG are intentionally taking?

• Like Like x 5
  7. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the uk diesels such as the cl20, 31 etc.

So how about the future plans of classic uk diesels?

There were a lot of suggestions like the class 25, class 50 or class 56.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I do wanna get in some questions about new countries, Matt has commemted a few times that nothing should be expected for new countries, because it would be unsatisfying to only have one route from that country and then having to wait years before getting another one from that country. Me and some other forum users have quite differing views on that, wanting to see for example Dutch railways, even if it's just one route.

I mainly wonder if DTG has noted this feedback, and is willing to keep an open mind, but also if future third party devs could bring a change to this, with rivet already having introduced Switzerland. I really do hope 3rd parties get on board and start developing more diverse content, does DTG have plans to help new developers get into the game, because a lot of them now feel like it's too big of a hurdle to take.

I also wonder if DTG has plans to get more out of the countries already in game. For example, France is in the game, with a lot of security systems for it being functional and signals etc. existing in the game already, what's stopping DTG from doing a French commuter route for example? That would already offer a great increase in variety without new signalling and safety systems having to be developed. But DTG can also get more out of the 'big three'. For example with German diesel or vintage routes, or with an UK mainline with overhead electrification (i.e. the WCML or ECML). It seems to me that even within those countries DTG seems very restricted to the content they make. With the BR 612, a tilting DMU there finally seems some change in this, but the same route also has the same Dostos with cab car we've seen 4 times before already...

I'm mainly concerned with increasing gameplay variety, as I've been noticing that I'm getting bored with the current content types since Hamburg - Lübeck.

Concrete list of questions:
    • Matt has made multiple comments indicating new countries are unlikely from DTG as he feels if would be unsatisfying to only have one route from a country, and then having to wait ages before a new one comes around. The community has indicated that they'd rather have one than none, has this feedback reached DTG and changed their minds?
    • Are more 3rd party developers on the horizon? If yes, can we expect them to introduce more gameplay variety like Rivet Games did by bringing both narrow gauge and Switzerland to the game with the Arosa Line?
    • Multiple potential 3rd party developers have indicated that they feel like there is a considerable hurdle to get into developing for TSW. Does DTG have any plans to lower this hurdle and get more developers involved, to increase content variety and with that the longevity of TSW as a brand?
    • Is DTG planning to get more out of existing countries? Will we for example see more French content as the safety systems and signalling assets are already in game?
    • To expand on the previous question: If it's not planning on putting more focus outside of the 'big three' countries, is DTG at least trying to create more varied content within these countries (i.e. German vintage routes, German diesel routes, UK mainlines with overhead electrification such as the WCML and ECML)? It seems as if DTG is currently very restricted with the type of content they make within these countries, and a bit more variety could help boost player interest.
    • We have seen a lot of rolling stock re-use in the past year (we for example got two new iterations of the same Dostos with HBK and DRA), are there reasons creating new, unique and interesting rolling stock is no longer economical for DTG or can we expect to finally see some more variety over the next year?
    • A little out of the general subject of my questions: Matt mentioned that there still is a desire to get the IC cab-car in the game somehow, any news on this?

I'd hugely appreciate if some of these questions were answered. Enjoy the holidays!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  9. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Will the Hsp46 locomotive from the MBta commuter rail be available for rolling stock on the north east corridor Boston sprinter route be available sometime next year in the future?

10. LondoSpark

LondoSpark Member

Going for a light-hearted one: Given that most staff have their names as their forum handles what was the reasoning behind DTG Protagonist getting that handle rather than his name?

• Like Like x 6
  11. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Matt mentioned they can only release fixes if they they release other upgrades to the route at the same time. Sounds like excuses to me but I feel frustrated for Adam as he has done a load of fixes for the preserved routes but they are still not being released, why not release them as a bundle. Here is an idea, if you are not going to release a fix anytime soon then offer a refund? hahaha, like that would happen.

In the last stream Nat mention people were frustrated at the lack of fixes being released, and they have been waiting for months (years?) and wanted to know if it would be another year before they would be released? I then looked at Matt's and Adam's face and their was no look of 'of course it won't be another year' It was more a look of 'that is what is planned'. I bet the reason these fixes are not being released is that DTG have not realised how they can make money out of them.

I wonder at the people who are getting fed up with TSW2 with no fixes for older routes, core updates, rush hour ETC and are giving playing TSW2 and so lose revenue in potential sales? I've stopped playing the game and refuse to buy any more DLC untill GWE gets RD support at the very least. They couldn't even be bothered to add RD support in the Brighton route despite saying Loco's for new routes will have it. And apparently RD support is really easy to do, this was said by DTG themselves but still we wait.

Then their is the problems on the consoles. DTG don't seem to have time or the will to release fixes but do have the time for liveries that do not exist in the real world, money, money , money, eh? Surely at some point even the bean counters at DTG have to realise that with all the outstanding bugs, fixes, upgrades, updates ETC they will have to release something to keep their customer base.

• Like Like x 3
  12. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

If you admit that upcoming projects get announced way too early... Why do you still keep announcing then way too early?

• Like Like x 5
  13. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

With the big issues with bugs recently will you consider bringing in a new bug reporting system purely for reporting bugs and crashes where people can easily report and view the progress of all bugs ever reported and provide help?
    Other games like minecraft for example have systems like this in place currently and I think they work quite well.

• Like Like x 3
  14. evolution33192

evolution33192 Member

Why haven't you fixed the blur to stay off?
    Why haven't you changed the "would you like to give up control", to default to no?

It's been a problem since tsw 2 literally came out, I think it's time even if it's low priority.

Will we ever see a complete overhaul to the awful UI?

• Like Like x 3
  15. LondoSpark

LondoSpark Member

Given that a lot of the issues that have been brought up as immersion-breaking are sound related, do you feel in hindsight that the importance of sound was underestimated?

How do the team feel about the Raildriver and is there a plan to allow customisation/api access so that we can build our own configs/controllers? Having electrostars on different routes with buttons in different places feels a little odd.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jeremy#2905

jeremy#2905 Member

Is multiplayer a priority for you guys, do you think it will be available in the near future?
    Are you guys planning on ever releasing a MacOS version now that their silicon has progressed to a point where they are decent for gaming?
    Are any rail driver upgrades planned in the near future (custom bindings etc)?
    Once the pandemic is over, will there be more opportunity to make international content, such as Australia, or asia?

• Like Like x 2
  17. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Because using your real name on the internet when you work in entertainment in any fashion is a dangerous idea. There are some people who take enthusiasm for a topic way too far, and anything to put an extra hurdle in the way of a potential overzealous gaming person is sensible.

Regrettably this policy was never introduced at DTG hence my multitude of nomme de guerre were rendered less effective. Also, this is the monicker I've used professionally for 20+ years, so may be recognisable to some community members who will be aware of my track record to some extent.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. NQuarter

NQuarter Member

Or have it not pop up at all, and have a selection in the options to give up control when you want to give it up. Massive immersion breaker when trying to explore on foot. "would you like to give up control?".... "would you like to give up control?"...."would you like to give up control?"...."would you like to give up control?"...."would you like to give up control?"...."would you like to give up control?"...."would you like to give up control?"...."would you like to give up control?"...."would you like to give up control?"...."would you like to give up control?"...."would you like to give up control?"...."would you like to give up control?"....

NOOOO I DON'T!

• Like Like x 8
  19. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Question for Q&A

What is the biggest thing that came to TSW 2 this year that you thought went down well, and what is the thing that you think didn’t ?

• Like Like x 3
  20. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I would like to get some insights into DTGs future plan, especially when it comes towards prizing. There is an established price for routes and locos, and it has been often said that DTG feels unable to change these. But at the same time there is something called inflation, and I am curious how DTG wants to deal with this in the future. Will the amount of work put into routes be reduced (something we already see these days, where routes only come with at most one new train, whereas older routes came with up to three new ones) or will prices be increased to keep the same amount of work put into a route feasible?

• Like Like x 1
  21. grob-e

grob-e Well-Known Member

Are there plans for releasing scenario planner 2.0 in 2022?
    Do you consider the release on Epic Game Store as successful?
    Including the third Party dlcs you released 19 dlc this year, will there be a similar number of releases next year?

• Like Like x 2
  22. breblimator

breblimator Guest

DTG, were you naughty or not, this year? :D
    HO HO HO

• Like Like x 1
  23. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I have two questions:
    Considering the fact that the 4.26 update brought with it a ton of problems at least on the console side of the game, does that make you reluctant to upgrade to a new game engine in the future?

My final question is what has been the feedback overall on the new UI now that the update has been out for a while now? For me personally I haven't gotten used to it and there have been some that still feel like it wasn't a great design choice. I feel like having the abandoned station when choosing your train isn't a great design choice because you can't see the livery chosen, you can't see the the intensity of the rain/snow when you move the slider, you can't see how much clouds I would set and finally when moving to select the part of the weather to change, when you scroll up or down, you dont know if you moved to the right option because there is no indication that the player has done so apart from the scrolling sound

• Like Like x 2
  24. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

Are there any 'real' plans to add new countries to TSW? And are they maybe already things in production for it

25. met_cui98

met_cui98 Member

It's possible the dynamic pathing for London Underground they referred to in the latest roadmap stream could address it, although since they ignored my chat question about it, I'm thinking not. I would be content with Clinchfield if the northbound trains got proper diverging indications.

100% agreed on this. It seems DTG has little ability/desire (take your pick) to get signaling and safety systems reasonably accurate on US routes (with Peninsula Corridor being the one notable exception).

• Like Like x 1
  26. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

Yep. It is very infuriating having that prompt come up constantly, or on the flipside; when you want to abandon a service and the prompt never comes up.

• Like Like x 2
  27. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Can you confirm what will now be a standard level of quality/ features list on future dlc

eg.
    No more sound substitutes
    Dresden night lighting
    Rush hour passengers
    Busier time tables

At the moment we get a great feature and it’s disappeared on the next route.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  28. chieflongshin

Will we have the option to limit frame rate on menus and choose a diorama whereby we can see the train and weather?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  29. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

Why have more recent trains lost features that older trains had?
    For example being unable to operate the Demister on newer trains but it being pressable on the 166. A train from the second route ever made

• Like Like x 2
  30. chieflongshin

i believe this is same with distance counter from sand patch isn't it redrev1917 ?

31. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

I asked this last time, and I'll ask it again:
    What is your favorite rail related memory that you have?

And I just learned a new way of saying things.

32. davidus#4217

davidus#4217 Well-Known Member

Will TSW2 explore new countries in 2022, and if so will the Netherlands be on the list of countries who might get added in 2022?

• Like Like x 1
  33. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Should be a button in the pause menu

• Like Like x 2
  34. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

Why so many bugs in general?

• Like Like x 3
  35. ethanafro#1375

ethanafro#1375 Active Member

Could it potentially be the case that you make a secondary roadmap saying about bugs you are fixing? Right now the community seems a bit in the dark when it comes to bugs being fixed

• Like Like x 4
  36. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

So my question for the Q&A
    Regarding the Creator club and liveries for PS4 and PS5.
    So fictional liveries I have created onto the PS4 and uploaded to the Creator Club Hub, Would I be able to thendownload them via the hub onto my PS5 and use that way seeing as they are planned to be cross platform?

My set up. PS5 with TSW 2 Rush Hour for the PS4 installed on a 4TB external Drive. PS5 version of TSW 2 installed on the jokingly massive 825 gig SDD

Regards

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  37. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Would DTG consider in future DLCs including a second, advanced tutorial covering things like safety systems and more obscure functions (e.g. vac/air switchovers in older British locos)?

• Like Like x 3
  38. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

I hear you I should never have used my real name as my user name. Everyone finds me because well Potatos is not that common of a last name. And yes my first name is Baked. Don't blame me that my parents were hippy comedians.

I had to quit my community cable job because people would harass me.

Thank god phone books are gone, all the prank calls I used to get drove me mad.

• Like Like x 1
  39. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

What are your plans for 2022? Will you chance your concept on making routes? Will there be longer routes? Are any new features planned? And will there be any changes how you will develop the routes?

• Like Like x 1
  40. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

This is what I also wanted to ask. The topic is now on the roadmap for a year. A long time ago it was announced to create youtube tutorials for all locos. but this process stopped soon. It is a waste to have so many undocumented features. What is going on here? Even though much appreciated a three hour stream with Matt is not a good way to explain how to drive a 100 wagon train downhill at Sherman Hill, to give one example. Or,ACSES/ATC which needs some more explanation.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

My feeling is that issues with new routes are not resolved in a reasonable pace. For instance, the tunnel lighting issue for SEH is only fixed half, and we never heard of it again. For Clinchfield a few services do not work properly, the train will not exceed say 2-3Mph speed at startup. I thing the journey issues with the BRB363 are not yet solved. These are quite essential errors that affect gameplay.

What are you doing about this? Did you achieve any progress in development quality? (You should be aware that fixing bugs after release is far more expensive than fixing the same bug during development). Did you change the development process to find issues earlier?

I think Adams team is doing a good job and we appreciate this effort and results a lot. But I feel there is a big backlog between Adams team and the actual release. I have worked in software development on high impact systems, but we learned to release fast and often. This keeps changes small and this is a big factor in reducing release risk.

• Like Like x 3
  42. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I support this question, and in addition I'd love for TrainSim-Matt and his colleagues to give us a more detailed answer to the questions I've posted in https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...ap-update-16-11-2021.48776/page-2#post-413180 in reply of his earlier statement. The reasons Matt has given us so far, raise more question than answers, and still don't make much sense to me. I'll quote my post from that topic to make it a little easier for the community managers. :)

• Like Like x 2
  43. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Here another Question about the German Rolling Stock features:

In the "Nahverkehr Dresden" DLC the Wagons got upgraded with the feature to change the brake mode. I always like when DTG is paying attention to those details.

So my first Question:

Will this Features be standard in future for German rolling Stock?

Second Question:

Will the Wagons on the other german Routes get upgraded with changing Brakemode like in Riesa Dresden?

44. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Is the PS4 to PS5 save game transfer listed on the roadmap definitely happening and what progress has been made on this since August?

Are you still planning to release loco DLC as you haven't added any to the roadmap since its first iteration in August 2020?

• Like Like x 2
  45. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Why don't you add separate additional timetables on gen8 consoles for all routes with missing layers. I know, those wouldn't have all AI traffic. But it would be far better than what we have now: nothing. I'll gladly sacrifice the AI traffic if it means I get more variety of trains I can drive myself. And last but not least, we paid the same price as those who got all layers. Please add those missing layers asap.

• Like Like x 1
  46. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

In 2022 can you add anyone from the console playing community to the DTG Ambassador programme? It's important to be able to see how new releases play on all platforms and current ambassadors seem to be all PC. Also would be nice if all the current ambassadors/early release key holders play the game with all the correct safety systems on etc

• Like Like x 4
  47. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

When is DTG going to fix the lighting issues? Especially the Stations, they look utterly ridiculous (if you could see them). The fixes/upgrades to the preserved routes done by Adam really needs to be released, I find it insulting the older routes have been ignored for so long.

• Like Like x 2
  48. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

When we will get any WCML part? For example my favorite Preston to Carlisle or Brimingham New Street to Wolverhampton.

• Like Like x 2
  49. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

What are your plans to address some of the relatively minor, yet still sub-optimal, user experience issues with the game?
    Some examples include:
    • Duplicate German locos because a new route came with an updated version -- and no way to tell which is which.
    • Having to select "livery" on Long Island to change the number of cars. (And the resulting automatic filtering of the timetable making it harder to select a service if you don't already know how many cars it has).
    • Locos seem to sort by something other than "these came with the route" so that railtour options are presented before the main services.
    • Still no hotkey or menu option to trigger the "give up service" prompt.
    • Still no working toilets.
    I'm not asking for specific answers on these questions, just wondering how much effort you might put into addressing smaller issues in 2022.

• Like Like x 2
  50. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

DTG When will see dynamic weather be added? When will see Train Announcment on the platform and station and on the train added? When will see Multiplayer Added? Will see More new weathers added such as lightning, snow storm? When will we see different roles and postion added to the game such as being a train dispatcher, guards on the platform, Conductor controlling the door? When will see the passenger dynamic changes in term of activities they will be doing on the train and platform? When will we see a full routes from the real world added to the game? When will be able to operate train back and forth 24 hour, like in the real world? When will we get better camera fuctions that allow us to snap to the next track or object and take railfan photos?

• Like Like x 4