Year In Review Q&a - Ask Your Questions Here

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by DTG Natster, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Munkey82

Munkey82 Member

In 2022 do you hope to get out to actually visit routes in person and take lots of pictures and sound recordings of engines?
    Once steam is out, Would you consider going back to previously released routes and consider adding historic Steam engines that used to operate on these routes? Sherman Hill would be a great example for this to bring out the Big boy or the other one that Union Pacific does actually run to this day.

• Like Like x 1
  2. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

What countries are possible to be added to TSW2?

• Like Like x 1
  3. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

All of them but DTG have stated they will be adding no more than what we got as they would want third parties to do it. Trouble is third parties don't want to, the ones over at TS1 anyway.

4. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 5
  5. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

That is because the brakes have not released fully, it can take up to 10-15 minutes to fully release; particularly on the SD40- the F7 brakes release at a faster rate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. oakleymoss#1362

oakleymoss#1362 Well-Known Member

I have a few questions:
    1.When will we get an update on Spirit of Steam?
    2. What do you look for when adding a new route to the game?
    3. How often do routes/locomotives being suggested from the forum getting added the game or even considered?

• Like Like x 4
  7. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

Another question I have is when is that bloody stupid "Do you want to give up control?" question going to be removed? It's not like real rail managers chase each and every driver around their routes asking that question when the driver's have to leave the train to change points or uncouple the last half dozen trucks of a mile long train so why do we have it in the game?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  8. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comment. I am fully aware of the need for patience and way it works, but that is not the issue. In a few drives, this is going wrong, while in with other heavy trains I do not have the issue.

9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

• How many of the people working on the Train Sim World and Train Simulator titles are train enthousiasts?
    • Do you and your colleagues play Train Sim World and/or Train Simulator in your spare time, as a hobby?
    • Do you play other games, perhaps in a similar genre? Do you do it as a hobby (for fun), or professionally (to see how competitors solved certain challenges)?
    • Do you 'borrow' good ideas other games have implemented? ;)
    • Is there any specific route or locomotive that you personally would love to see created for the game?
    • What is your vision, your plans, for TSW in 2022?
    • How well did the Diesel Legends gameplay pack 'experiment' go? Do you consider it a succes? Can we expect similar packs in future?
    • In the past several people have expressed their wish for more option to customize the UI and HUD to their own desires. What is your opinion about it? Is it something you'd consider implementing?
    • For Train Simulator DTG created a few historic steam routes for the UK and US, but the few steam routes for Germany all seem to be heritage routes. Is there a problem with creating a historic German steam route? In the spirit of Spirit of Steam, can we expect a German route set in the time period steam locomotives were ruling the railroads?

• Like Like x 3
  10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

In the good old days, the windmills at the Sandpatch route would only turn if there was wind. At some point in time this awesome feature got lost. Why? And, please can we have it back? Now even if there is no wind, they will turn their rounds.

20211219093340_1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

- Can we expect a steam release for the "big three"?
    - Will the steam release be loco only or with a route?
    - Can we expect a new third party in 22? What about the idea of some kind of trainee programm for experienced people who want to become 3rd party?
    - How come we had not a single new loco-DLC since the very first roadmap? Can we expect 2022 to have loco-DLCs again or has this been abandoned?
    - Why are loco DLCs tied to a route? What is the technical explaination and can this be changed?

• Like Like x 2
  12. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I feel like this one can be answered by looking at Matts stream comments. He said that the locos were done and now it was just as much work as a regular route. That kind of implies that it will be a route release. The fact that there was an article supposed to come about historical research on routes also makes me feel like it will be a proper steam era route and not a heritage line, hence my suggestions for a British steam route (the Riviera and South devon main line in the fifties) and recently also a German steam route (the Moselstrecke in 1970-71).

I feel like releasing spirit of steam with period routes is absolutely the right choice, it will make for a very immersive experience that hopefully captures the ambience of the steam days very well. I however don't know if all thr 'big three' will get their own route, and if all of those will be period routes. I do certainly hope so however!

• Like Like x 1
  13. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

jolojonasgames And depending on the route and time period, this opens up the opportunity for much more historic rolling stock. Probably some UK locos could be layered in and if the german route is electrified, it's possible that we at some point have loco DLCs like the 110, 141 etc :)

14. jolojonasgames

I don't know how common the running of steam engines below wires was in Germany though. I know that the practice was uncommon in the Netherlands and the UK due to the smoke from steam engines coating the overhead wires over time, which wasn't good for the electric locos running under them. That's even an issue with diesel locos under wires, as I knoe that in the Netherlands the few last areas where that happened had to have a regular cleaning of the overhead wires.

In addition to that, especially in the UK, there are problems with steam locos getting the overhead wires to arc to them, I've seen a few videos of them. IIRC certain classes of steam engines weren't allowed to run near overhead wires for that exact reason, as they were so tall this arcing would happen quite a lot.

Then again, don't know if Germany had a different approach where steam and electric were used on the same lines. Perhaps a seperate electric vintage route would be better though.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Another question. Especially some large railway stations have bridges over the tracks, for example London Paddington, but also Munich. These bridges are a perfect location for rail fanning, but until now I have never seen them to be accessible in first person mode. Why? It would be awesome to have this as a route feature.

• Like Like x 3
  16. jolojonasgames

Yeah, this was really nice to see on the Meißen branch, where one of the bridges over the tracks is in fact accesible by foot. Locations like Munchen Hbf or Paddington would be even better due to the high frequency of trains going through it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Are there any more third party developers in the pipeline? What is DTG planning to attract them?

Just the diversity of routes is what makes TS Classic awesome and I would love to see that here.

• Like Like x 1
  18. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That depended on local conditions. In general DB of course preferred to use electrics where they could. But practical reality meant that often a given train's entire route was not fully electrified, and thus either steam/diesel was used, or engines had to be swapped out. And even this could lead to overlap- for one example, the first stretch of the left-bank Rhine railway to be electrified was from Remagen to Cologne, but since the bahnhof at Remagen was too small to switch locomotives the steamers ran on to Koblenz, even under wires.

The upcoming Chemnitz route reflects a modern parallel: the portion of the route we are getting has OHLE, but the diesel 612 runs on it because a big section of the further run to Nuremberg is still wireless.

• Like Like x 2
  19. jolojonasgames

Hmm, well Köln - Remagen might be a route fit for a large selection of vintage locos :). It definetely happened, and with diesel power still does, so hopefully somewhere in all those unique lines, there is one fit for TSW that includes a large variety of older rolling stock.

20. solicitr

Almost any part of the Linke Rheinstrecke would be awesome. Personally I'm holding out for Koblenz-Bingen

• Like Like x 1
  21. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

A quick reminder for newcomers to a Q&A stream - any question starting with "When..." is likely to either get a really vague answer, or not be included because in most cases we simply don't know. This is why the roadmap exists.

• Like Like x 5
  22. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

When did you decide to hold the Q&A stream on a whensday?

• Like Like x 9
  23. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Whats the plan on creating longer routes for tsw like tsxx

• Like Like x 1
  24. jolojonasgames

Do AI freight trains run to a train-specific speed limit (i.e. only 100 km/h because that's the max speed of the wagons, even though line speed is 160 km/h)? It always feels like AI freight runs very fast to me.

• Like Like x 3
  25. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing how many of these make the cut, I've been trying to get them all on a spreadsheet and there's 150 odd so far

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  26. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

How are DTG going to sort out the consistency with adding DLC to the roadmap for the mid- to -long term release timeframe?

What I miss is having quite a few routes and rolling stock to look forward to. For instance, there is currently not much for me on the roadmap that really interests me. I know the Class 313 was on it for ages, but still, it provided an element of excitement because it was confirmed a while in advance - additionally, knowing what is in planning far ahead helps to budget for what I would potentially want to get.

I appreciate plans change, and that's understandable, but for now, it makes the 'If it's not on the roadmap' hard to grasp.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

Dinner for TSW every year

Let's hope that there will be renewals in 2022. Wanting to drive a steam-powered train alone is more than unrealistic, as it requires at least two people.

Let's just hope that the survey in 2022 shows what the community wants and DTG says again:
    We don't care.

12 years of DTG and still no revolution in sight. Just new lines and trains. Unfortunately, I believe that DTG will not bring us a renewal in 2022 either. And continue to only publish DLCs, because I think the year 2022 will be really "boring" again, before features will hopefully start on 23/24. In 2021 DTG created so many construction sites for itself due to a lack of beta testers that it will be a mere bugfix year ... Sees

Route information system in all (German) locomotives / trains / railcars? (Ebula)?
    (see Microsoft Train Simulator (20 years ago) -> Switching off the HUD
    Multiplayer? (Survey: Role System)
    Save function (see my post in the forum) in the tab menu (without this disturbing the flow of the game (for streams & video recordings) / or being interrupted (without an active confirmation message that it has been saved. Just a note: Save Game) on the screen
    - Reporting bugs ingame (F1 -> window with selection -> Submit)
    -as a kind of extra function for those interested in beta
    - Include more active partners for TSW2 (more DTG addressing German (...) streamers / Youtubers etc.)
    After all, this year we spent dozens of hours streaming your game to people.
    - weather system? - Dynamic events (apart from timetable) -> load a timetable, and then e.g. a dynamic story (e.g. HBF XY is currently under renovation. Therefore, due to construction work on the track, the employees ask to drive more slowly) It doesn't even have to be implemented in real terms via a signal, but this already conveys a little story within the 24-hour timetable.

• Like Like x 1
  28. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

.Is there a great eastern route planned?

.How do you think 2021 has gone for TSW?

.Any regrets (TSW)?

.Anything you are looking forward to (TSW)?

29. solicitr

Is that Givenchy you're wearing? And a Harry Winston necklace?

30. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Probably should've said that when making this thread at the beginning

• Like Like x 1
  31. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

I'm going to ignore today's article nonsense for this question... what is your genuine and honest opinion about how 2021 was for the DTG and the TSW franchise? There's been a lot of great DLC releases this year, but every...single...one of them has been completely overshadowed by bugs or things being wrong. What actually sticks with me more though, is that each of these DLC (particularly since rush hour) have gotten a lot of press for a couple of weeks after their release, some even got dedicated forum threads for tracking issues (see Dresden and Brighton timetable threads) with a couple of patches, and then everything goes silent and gets replaced by the next DLC and it's bugs. Meanwhile, we have no idea if it's actually still in the immediate list of things to do or been pushed into the infinitely growing "things we'd like to do" list.

This is particularly frustrating as I have several routes that I paid for, but get limited play time for one reason or another: Boston's ATC and signalling (its not fixed until there's not a 30 mph speed limit for the last 4 miles into providence for no reason) and the F40's brake stand getting fixed, Dresden's performance issues and AI freight trains running backward..., LIRR: no comment, Sherman Hill: brake release time b/c no DPU simulation & and always starting off, performance issues, and the save bug.

Speaking of the save bug, will attempting to get a fix for this become a priority in 2022? This is something that really needs addressing before more multiple-hour to complete routes are added.

• Like Like x 2
  32. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I have seen that apparently for the G6 loco it is possible to set engine speed limits, even for a specific service. How do you think about implementing this for other locos as well? It definitely would add to realism.

• Like Like x 1
  33. frabjousvector

frabjousvector Well-Known Member

1. Do you plan to do any routes set in the past that aren’t the 80s-90s? I’d love to see some routes set right at the start of the privatisation period!

2. Will Great British Railways affect the future of Train Sim in any way?

3. As a matter of fact, are there any British Routes being considered at all for next year? There were quite a few recently, wouldn’t be surprised to see a cutback in ‘22

4. Why are some stations (Hove, Coulsdon Town, Reedham, London Road etc) marked as stations on the map, yet not accessible in London Commuter?

• Like Like x 2
  34. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

1. How are you going to address the statement of ‘it's more like a game than a simulator? Are you planning on increasing the functionality in the trains themselves? Are they're any plans of introducing any features to the simulation like a guard mode or AI guard like in TGV?

2. Do you think TSW 2 fails or succeeds in attracting hardcore train fans or hardcore simmers?

3. Do you think having a mostly casual player base has affected the level of detail and accuracy the team puts into the routes and trains?

• Like Like x 3
  35. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I have one question for the Q&A…

What measures are being put in place to sort out the numerous big issues that currently exist and to manage the development processes to ensure more don’t pile on top of or compound those that already exist? It currently appears that the process to correct things is painfully long and that can’t be sustainable when more game-breaking issues keep appearing, seemingly with every update.

• Like Like x 3
  36. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I would like to know if bugs/problems that we report here on the forum are logged or do we need to submit a ticket for a bug to be logged?

I would like to know if there will ever be a tracking system for bugs, it would be nice to know if a problem I've come across is known by DTG or not. I don't get to play the game as much as I would like due to time, I certainly don't want to spend time reporting bugs if it is already known. However I am willing to do it if it helps bring about a fix.

Will this stream be posted to YouTube? I likely won't be able to watch it live.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

• A while back DTG dedicated a stream to list the most suggested routes. Would it be possible to do another such stream in future? Is DTG still actively tracking the most suggested routes? Any idea if there's any movement in popular suggestions or would such an updated list be pretty much identical to the previous list of most suggested routes?
    • A while back in several streams it was mentioned that DTG community managers would rate forum posts with a 'like' or 'helpful' to let people know their post has been read. On stream, it was even said that'd be a relatively easy thing to do. But as far as I know, it never happened. Why? What's up with this?

• Like Like x 4
  38. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Has Moggy been well behaved this year?

39. jolojonasgames

I did have one of my multiple preserved collection upgrade wishlists marked as helpful by Adam, but that's it. Would love to see it happening more as it gives the feeling your message has been recieved.

• Like Like x 1
  40. solicitr

Specifically, it was said that they would be doing this on the Technical Reports forum, not all of them: but so far, not even there.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Are dtg aware of how badly the end of this year has gone , and how they can avoid getting into this mess again ?

• Like Like x 1
  42. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

I was wondering about the state of Xbox sales and gamepass?

Some people like myself don't play enough games to warrant getting game pass and I understand its a good tool to get new players into the game but it feels like the player base who play regularly dont get much for it as there hasn't been an xbox dlc sale for months now and other games like ESO and others seem to get them all the time?

P.S I know its been a rough year for DTG but I'm really looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with next year!

• Like Like x 1
  43. akshay26

akshay26 Active Member

What are the issues with the Thameslink License?

• Like Like x 1
  44. akshay26

akshay26 Active Member

Are you going to do an Australian route in the future?

45. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I came up to two more questions.

- As you know the game save function is not working well. Can you comment on the solution for this issue?
    - Why are so many switches in yards automatic? Have them all manual would be more flexible for gameplay, especially for the scenario planner. For example at the WSR route some switches in Williton are automatic, but in other stations you can enter the yard using a manual switch.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I can answer that one for you - the loco itself . It would be relatively easy for dtg to obtain the thameslink license , but it is because the 700 is built by Siemens and they are very strict with licenses

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. solicitr

It wouldn't do much for realism to substitute manual switches for real-life remote switches.

• Like Like x 2
  48. solicitr

HBL freight wagons:

As it stands, these have wound up orphaned: slightly revamped and thus different "models" from the old MSB/RSN freight wagons, but then they were revised yet again and are therefore yet more different "models" in DRA. Now, while the Dresden versions are marked improvements- especially the ability to set braking modes - this has left the HBL wagons rather isolated: i.e. alt-liveries done on these only apply to the Hamburg-Lubeck route, and no other; and since I would imagine that going forward future German routes will use the DRA models, this will remain the case.

Would it be possible to backfit the Dresden wagons into HBL?

49. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

When will the passenger information display system on Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen be activated? That should have been done last year

50. acela2000

acela2000 New Member

why won't you add the Acela. like it is literally the running buddy of the acs-64.

• Like Like x 1