New Timetable For Main Spessart Bahn With Playable Diverted Ice 3 And Ic (br 101) Services

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jolojonasgames, Dec 30, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

51 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. Yes, only if it came as a free upgrade

17 vote(s)
    20.2%
  3. Yes, only if it came as a 'gameplay expansion pack' with the BR 111 and Modus-Wagen

15 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all, a while back I made a preserved collection upgrade wishlist for Main-Spessart-Bahn. This wishlist contained the wish for a new timetable that included not only IC and ICE services as AI, but also as playable 'diverted' services.

First of all it is important to understand how these services usually run on Main-Spessart-Bahn, and why services would need to be diverted to be playable. In regular operation, ICE and IC services stop at Aschaffenburg, after which they continue non-stop off the map, diverting onto the Nantenbacher Kurve that leads onto the Hannover-Würzburg high speed line in the direction of Würzburg. This means that IC and ICE services only have one stop on the route, at Aschaffenburg, making it so that players can't drive any of these services as playable services require a start and end point. These services could be AI at the very least though (currently they're not in because neither the ICE 3 or BR 101 existed when MSB and it's timetable were created).

However, there is also a way to make these services playable, I think. Once in every while the high speed line gets closed, due to accidents or maintenance or some other unforeseen circumstance. This causes IC and ICE services to be diverted, via Gemünden, meaning that, if an extra passenger stop is introduced at Gemünden (or at least a stop point in front of a red signal), IC and ICE services could be introduced that are playable, as there now is a stopping task for the player at each end (both at Aschaffenburg and Gemünden). Usually the line closures only last a few hours, but even three hours of diverted services would result in 11 playable ICE services and 3 playable IC services (basing on the 2011 timetable and assuming the ICE 3 will sub for not only ICE 3 but also ICE-T services). If some more artistic license is taken this number could be even bigger. To make it all even more interesting additional AI services through Gemünden that include ICEs and ICs coming from the north, off the Hannover-Würzburg High Speed line that also have been diverted along the Gemünden-Würzburg classic line. Besides these passenger AI services during the 'diverted hours', extra AI freight services throughout the day could be added at Gemünden, as these are there in real life but not currently in game, and would help the in-game Gemünden feel more prototypically busy. These AI services at Gemünden would cause the line in that area to be busier and more interesting, very fun for trainspotting.

Finally, the revision of the MSB timetable would also allow for MRCE loco's to finally substitute on freight services. The BR 425 could also be introduced as a layer for RB services, which has been long requested. Additionally including services for the BR 363 and DB G6 shunter could be looked into, aswell as more (unique) services for the BR 204.

Of course not all players would like a timetable that repeats the same 'rare' situation of diverted services, but the new double timetable option introduced a while back with DLOTGW allows this new timetable with diverted services to be a secondary timetable, allowing players to also choose the original timetable.

To 'pay' for this timetable upgrade, an introduction of the BR 111 with modus-Wagen as a loco add-on could come with this new timetable (just like how the upcoming gameplay expansion pack for SKA and other core routes will introduce the BR 423 with new S-bahn services). This loco add-on is a really good fit for the route and very interesting on it's own. The Modus-Wagen in this new timetable can also be hauled by the BR 146.2 already present on MSB, or by the BR 143 from RSN and DRA. Additionally, the BR 111 could sub in front of the Dosto services currently operated by the BR 146.2.

All in all I'd just absolutely love such a new timetable, as it brings a ton of live into MSB. I wish I could make it myself, and if DTG would request it I'd be more than happy to make an excel sheet with the full timetable I'm proposing like the Excel sheets shown on stream. MSB has gained a lot of untapped potential after it's release due to new rolling stock coming into the game, and a new timetable could fully exploit this untapped potential!

[​IMG]
    A BR 111 with Modus-wagen being overtaken by an ICE 3. With this proposed timetable expansion this could become an in-game sight aswell!

[​IMG]
    A BR 101 with an IC overtaking a BR 143 at Heigenbrücken

[​IMG]
    An ICE 3 in Partenstein

[​IMG]
    An ICE 3 coming out of the Schwarzkopftunnel near Heigenbrücken

This is the video that gave me the idea of a diverted service timetable. It's a German video covering the temporary closing of the Hannover-Würzburg High Speed line that caused long distance traffic to be diverted through Gemünden.

Another video, this one shows ICE's and Modus-Wagen, aswell as freight and BR 146.2s going through Partenstein.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 21
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Absolutely like this proposal and if one stands in the late night hours 00:00-05:00 on Main Spessart Bahn Aschaffenburg-Gemünden the Aschaffenburg Lohr section via Heigenbrücken sees DB BR182 in the form of ÖBB1116/1016 sleeper trains here right now it can be done with IC Coaches DB BR182. Another way to look at it is Have freight use the Lohr connector line during late nights because selected German Schnellfahrstrecke lines are used by freight trains such as Schnellfahrstrecke Hannover Würzburg.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  3. jolojonasgames

I believe that back in 2011 (when MSB is set, IIRC) no ÖBB Nightjet services operated on this route. Perhaps some CityNightLine services did, but I have no idea.

Nightly freight services using the High Speed line, diverging at Lohr, are a possibility though. I would reccomend giving them a 'stop at location' assignment at Lohr though, so they're playable between Aschaffenburg and Lohr, becoming AI only services headed of map onto the High Speed line only after Lohr.

• Like Like x 2
  4. driverwoods#1787

That I was talking about and at that time Nightjet was called ÖBB Euronight 420/421 Innsbruck Düsseldorf with autoracks Ddm 915 a longer Laaers 560s.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jolojonasgames

Perhaps that could be looked at then, although I wouldn't expect new coaches or skins to be made just for one nightly service.

• Like Like x 1
  6. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

That's a great idea, a timetable update would be great, also including ICEs and ICs for other routes like HRR and co. The only thing I don't like are Modus Wagen, I would replace them with the N-Wagen because they fit much perfectly to the 111 than the Modus Wagen, but that's my opinion

• Like Like x 1
  7. jolojonasgames

In general the BR 111 was indeed more often seen with n-Wagen than with Modus-Wagen (mostly due to there only being 55 Modus-Wagen), but on this route in the year it was set, no n-Wagen could be seen, but lots of Modus-Wagen, so I chose for the Modus-Wagen as to me for this route they make more sense.

• Like Like x 2
  8. driverwoods#1787

Happy New Year. Definitely a good point and DTG will make DB BR111 N-Wagen with Karlsruhe Cab Car (Dutch language a
    Stuurstandrijtuig) if they decided to have them with Bahnland Bayern RMV Stickers assuming BW Frankfurt Am Main has them for Main Spessart Bahn or DB BR111 Doppelstockwagen 781 766.2. On the other hand if Modus Wagen were to be made I wonder where would they get the physical model to render the scrap yard for them is on the Inselbahn Stralsund Sassnitz

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  9. jolojonasgames

The Karlsruher Kopf cab cars would definetely be fun to see, but, onceagain, are probably better for a different route.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

We really need this! MSB is an very good and fun route but it need more variatiy, since we have the ICE3(M) & BR 101 they easy can sub them into MSB!

• Like Like x 2
  11. carter

carter Active Member

I would prefer ic and ice as AI only.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

Why AI only, it add more gameplay to MSB which what we need

• Like Like x 3
  13. jolojonasgames

Thats exactly the reasoning behind my suggestion. People desperately want more BR 101 services and ICEs on MSB, and the diverted timetable would achieve that without being too unrealistic (as evidenced by the included videos and info). I appreciate your support on this!

However, for those that want the services as AI only a secindary timetable could also be included, the changes are small (only 3 hours of ICE and IC services that have to be diverted into a portal) so should be achievable. I do understand that standpoint aswell.

• Like Like x 2
  14. driverwoods#1787

If you want those playable run them as Aschaffenburg Lohr because IC31 ICE Line 41 use the High Speed line after Lohr so is the Late night DB BR182 freight and the sleeper train the 02:01 or 01:51 Aschaffenburg Hbf to Würzburg Hbf 02:41. If TSW2 needs sleeper trains.

• Like Like x 2
  15. carter

carter Active Member

Because it’s realistic.

• Like Like x 1
  16. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

I know it might not be that realistic but I’d appreciate it if the ICE services used the ICE3M instead to allow a more players to use these. Then the ICE3 (403) could substitute in. Perhaps the 182 in one form or another could sub in for the 101 as well. Then this would improve gameplay even more.

• Like Like x 2
  17. jolojonasgames

It's not like it's not that unrealistic either. IMO it's quite a good compromise, and as long as both a timetable with and one without diversions are supplied averyone should be happy! :)

• Like Like x 2