Br 111 With Modus-wagen For Main Spessart Bahn

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jolojonasgames, Dec 30, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    78.0%
  2. Yes, but only with the proposed timetable revision in a 'gameplay expansion pack'

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Maybe, if on sale

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all, usually I don't re-do suggestions already (sort of) suggested before, but this time I felt like making an exception as I have made a timtable revision suggestion for Main-Spessart-Bahn, that includes a 'gameplay expansion pack' with the loco and coaches this suggestion will be about as an option. I therefore felt like making a suggestion for the BR 111 with Modus-Wagen myself to 'flank' the timetable upgrade suggestion. I would like to note that I have taken pictures and some information from this, and would like to thank it's original creator for these.

Besides that I also think this loco add-on is a very interesting concept on it's own, as it includes a very interesting loco and some interesting new coaches aswell. Therefore this loco could come as a standalone add-on, but also in a 'gameplay expansion pack' like the one currently being developed for the core routes, including a new revised timetable for MSB like the one I suggested.

[​IMG]
    A BR 111 hauling Modus-Wagen being overtaken by an ICE 3. These ICE 3 services are part of my suggested timetable revision.

[​IMG]
    A rake of Modus-Wagen being pushed up the Spessartrampe by a BR 111

BR 111
    The BR 111 was developed during the 70's, combining design features of the BR 110 from the '50s and '60s that had proved well with new technologies that would make the new locomotive more fit for the modern passenger traffic demands. The BR 111 was designed as an universal passenger locomotive, hauling local traffic and long distance traffic alike, with only the most important express duties being relegated to the BR 103 exclusively. In reality the BR 111 was mostly used on regional services, especially after the end of InterRegio services and the division of DB AG into DB Regio, Cargo and Fernverkehr, whith all 111's going to DB Regio. On local traffic it could initially be seen hauling n-Wagen, but later also Dostos and the unique Modus-Wagen that are part of this suggestion. The BR 111 has a top speed of 160 km/h, and it is the last German passenger locomotive to reach this speed using conventional thyristor controlled AC technology, as all locos after it used three phase AC traction. However, the BR 111 was the first German loco to introduce an improved and standardized drivers cabin, with a more ergonomical layout, which would be used and improved in subsequent German locomotives. Later in its working life the BR 111 was fitted with destination displays for local traffic, increasingly operating with modern and climatised Dosto coaches. The BR 111 is currently mostly being phased out, but due to it's marriage of proven and new technology, it has proven extremely reliable and useful over it's nearly 50 year carreer. Many are rented out by DB (some in special heritage liveries) or operated by private railway operators in both frieght and passenger services. The BR 111 was seen on the Main-Spessart-Bahn a lot, and hauled the Modus-Wagen, but also Dostos, on which it could sub in. In addition to that, the BR 111 could sub in on the Dosto services on Köln-Aachen, Müchen-Augsburg, Haupstrecke Rhein-Ruhr and Rhein-Ruhr-Osten, as it could or can be seen on all these routes in real life, and future routes may hold even more potential. With all the substitution options and the fact that it would be the first electric West-German locomotive (with only the diesel powered 363 and upcoming BR 420 EMU also being from the BRD) I think it will make a great supplementation to the game's array of locomotives. More info on wikipedia.

Modus-Wagen
    The Modus-Wagen are the result of an attempt to re-use the bases of older DR local traffic coaches (Halberstädter Mitteleinstiegswagen, designated Bmh) to create new coaches and cab cars for operating local services with push-pull formations at a lower cost. The new coach was constructed using an aluminium body shell. These coaches used a cab car design derived from that of the well known Dosto cab cars. The coaches had a very modern look to them for the time, caused by the continuous line of windows along the sides of the coach and the streamlined cab car. On the inside the coaches had large multi purpose areas for wheel chair users, bicycle storage, or the tranpsort of prams. 55 coaches were produces, of which 11 cab cars. Further orders were never placed however. The sets were mainly used between Frankfurt, Würzburg and Nürnberg, thus being a perfect fit for the Main-Spessart-Bahn. Here they were mainly hauled by the BR 111, but the BR 146.2 and 143 could also be seen hauling these coaches, and could substitute in on some services in-game. During the mid 2010's the sets were phased out. Currently some sets are in use in the African nation of Gabon, after being modernized in Romania. These coaches would help add some variety to the Dosto dominated Main-Spessart-Bahn and game in general, and will therefore make a great addition! More info on wikipedia (German)

[​IMG]
    A BR 143 (again, another substitution option increasing the variety in this route) hauling Modus-Wagen at Heigenbrücken, being overtaken by an IC service (also part of my revised timetable suggestion).

[​IMG]
    A picture of the Modus-Wagen interior.

[​IMG]
    Modus-Wagen behind a BR 146.2

[​IMG]
    Modus-Wagen being pushed by a BR 146.2

[​IMG]
    A BR 111 pulling into Heigenbrücken with a Regional service consisting of Dostos and Modus-Wagen. An interesting scenario perhaps?

[​IMG]
    A BR 111 on its way to Gemünden hauling Dostos.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 19
  2. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

As usual, just here to voice my support for anything vaguely vintage in terms of German content.

• Like Like x 5
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

DB BR111 also operate on Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen with a Dosto 761 with Ruhr-Sieg Express VRS stickers VRS is Ruhr Sieg Tariff. RRO RE4 1980s X-Wagen S8 Mönchengladbach Düsseldorf Wuppertal Hagen

4. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

Same

• Like Like x 1
  5. jolojonasgames

The support of both of you is greatly appreciated! TSW is in need of some older German content, especially from the West-German Bundesbahn. This add-on should of course only be the start, but with MSB being well liked with lots of people owning it and DTG never having produced their own DLC for it (the BR 205 is Rivet), it seems a good candidate for a loco add-on.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lamplight

Admittedly, I‘d prefer a 151 DLC for MSB for obvious reasons, but your suggested 111 DLC would also be a day-one purchase for me. Whichever way we spin it, MSB could use a loco DLC and TSW desperately needs some more West German vintage content :)

7. jolojonasgames

The BR 151 is also a perfect fit for MSB, due to the fact that it operated pretty much all banking services there. Seeing such a DLC, with an accurate representation of the banking servicea would be great.

And the BR 111 and 151 both have a lot of layering potential, being seen on so many routes where they could just sub in instantly (as the services are already there, with Dostos and the BR 146.2 or frieght with the 185) after the DLC being added.

Honestly, both these add-ons are comoletely justified to make for MSB. There are enough players that own MSB, there is enough demand for both locos, and both locos would add something unique to MSB, without conflicting because they're a passenger and a freight loco (so each would have their unique set of services, keeping the value of one DLC high even when you already own the other).

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lamplight

Agreed on all points. One of the reasons why I love RSN is how alive it feels with both the 155 and 363 layer. Something similar could happen to MSB with the 111 and 151 (and the 204). Apart from that, you‘re also right about the layering/substitution potential. Both the 111 and 151 can or at least could be seen all over Germany pretty much.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

would love to see the Br111 :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Might need to consider there are two couplers available for DB BR151 a buffers and Chain then C-Akv couplers with yellow warning triangles fitted on the sides like DB BR189. DB BR151 C-Akv are 6 kt when fully loaded with Iron Ore that would require a third locomotive with C-Akv couplers equipped when running on Main Spessart Bahn Laufach Heigenbrücken section.

11. jolojonasgames

I have made some changes to the original post, adding in information and motivation as to why this locomotive with these coaches would help add variety to the game and will fill a hole in TSW's current DLC lineup. I still really hope to see the BR 111, be it for MSB, a differnt route, or even a future route. It's just too much of a staple of German regional traffic not to be in game, and would add least to a certain degree fulfill the demand for West-German vintage content, with a period route seeming unlikely.

• Like Like x 1