What's The Next Big Thing Tsw2 Offers Up

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Jan 22, 2022.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

As I sit here in the middle of an Eastern English city pondering the world and watching vagabonds go about their day I ponder.....

There's been some ambitious developments in the last 2 years. We've had engine changes , larger routes, an impending steam and creators club as well as track ir and rail driver creeping in.

Reflecting on the good as the caramel refills me I think about the bad ( though as pc it's been minimal) and ponder the question. What next?

What is already stacked up behind the scene?

Aside from multiplayer , vr and route mergers I have to think what next? None are on the road map so we have to assume they are not in development (like others that weren't but have before)

New countries appear to be a third party risk to take on so potentially rule that out for a while.

So considering and avoiding any of the above my question is What else do you think could be developed or in development?

• Like Like x 5
  2. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

New Jersey transit route or Worcester/Framingham MBta route.

3. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

If not route mergers, at least something like portals that allow respawning between routes that interconnect, using the existing scenario portal mechanic. It would need to be programmed to detect whether you own both routes first for it to be active. Ideally respawning somewhere in common or where you would walk between, such as the gateline at Paddington on GWE to the bottom of the escalators at Paddington on BKL, or to the same position on the platforms at Brighton on ECW and LC. Weather and time at respawn should be kept the same from the previous route too.

• Like Like x 6
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Probably another Electrostar third rail route in Kent or Sussex... ;):cool:

Seriously I think they ought to be looking at how to further develop the "world" side of the gameplay. Maybe as I pondered in the steam thread, on a single track route you have to exchange tokens (whether manually with the signaller/NSTR equipment) or via RETB in the cab if we ever get such a route. Steam also brings the possibility of preparing and turning locos, manually unhitching the water crane to replenish the tender.

I think they need to start looking at narrow gauge, even within the current geographical and Covid travel restraints, maybe transit and trams too (I know opinions are divided on the latter).

Fill out the classic UK traction side of things.

We definitely need longer UK routes with less of a start/stop feel to them - equivalent to the German Tharandater.

More routes where you actually do something, serving industries not just A to B and back again until you get bored.

That's a few thoughts, maybe others can add more.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  5. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

This is something I myself I've been thinking about for a while. What's next? Beyond Steam and Creators Club, there's nothing else that seems obvious to come.

Of course, many will call for the editor. I don't see it happening. Multiplayer, it would be possible, no doubt, however I don't see it happening for a while.

I think that longer routes, or those with more stations are more likely in the future, considering they now have 2 route building teams.

Missing the point of the thread. +1 Point.

• Like Like x 3
  6. chieflongshin

This would be a question that would be interesting to get a take on from the team.

7. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Hopefully more USA Passenger Route, more High speed, and tilting route, and steam route, now that we have steam.

8. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

You have to love it when people use these threads about what the "next direction" should be of the game to suggest routes/locos/features that they want.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

The BNSF license came out of nowhere and was something many people expected would never be doable. I expect there's always silent background work happening to allow expansion into new things. Chicago being the country's primary rail hub with ridiculous amounts of potential routes to work with, I'd be surprised if there hasn't been work ongoing to incorporate that into the game somehow.

I'll make it more general and throw in a guess at the American Midwest finally getting some love.

• Like Like x 2
  10. chieflongshin

Just as a clarification on original post, I'm thinking beyond new routes, there's hundreds of those threads

More so features for the game. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  11. OldVern

My reference to the UK traction types was simply to illustrate the broader context. If it offends or not in the spirit of the OP, I will edit them out.

12. chieflongshin

Nah your cool OldVern as is other poster above. I just thought it would be good see/speculate beyond routes and locos to see what's bubbling in peoples heads feature wise

• Like Like x 1
  13. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

NJ Transit routes including Raritan Valley Line and NJCL. Down the road ÖBB routes these will change HMA Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen and finally permitting the DB BR182 to attain max speed of 230 kmh 145 mph

• Like Like x 1
  14. penguinmatt#1924

penguinmatt#1924 Active Member

Maybe something like guard mode, or being able to take on another (non-signalling) railway role.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The next big thing would have to be environmental. Either a big improvement in night lighting and/or dynamic weather. These changes could come with a new build, starting with UE4.27 and up.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  16. OldVern

Well actually it would be nice to see a 3D version of the old SIAM traffic control games, http://www.siam.co.uk/conc5/ (hope it's okay to post a link) where you have to run a station or area. That includes allocating locomotives to trains, dealing with incoming traffic, making arrangements to shunt release the loco or drag the stock to the carriage sidings etc. If anyone has ever played these games (some of which still sell for an eye watering price despite being MS-DOS era titles) you will know how engrossing they can be, especially the Silver, Gold and Platinum versions.

17. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I would guess that continued dispatching upgrades begin to build to the holy grail of dynamic pathing.

• Like Like x 4
  18. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Firstly, we have Spirit of Steam around the corner and outside of the later to be announced UK route, we don't know what else that will consist of. Is Spirit of Steam the nickname of the new route, like London Commuter, Boston Sprinter, etc or is it a Rush Hour style project?

Either way, following that UK route release we'll probably see GER/USA equivalent steam projects follow the UK one.

Most new gameplay features I can think of don't relate to driving trains but rather other roles like signaller and guard. Multiplayer would also allow you to partner up with a friend or two and do more realistic shunting operations instead of using free cam, you could use voice chat to assist the driver and set the points/switches.

I personally think rather than jumping into another big, new gameplay feature after Spirit of Team that DTG should instead focus a bit more on refining/upgrading what we have now while continuing to expand the TSW catalogue with new routes/locos, pushing the total mileage of new routes up in the process.

I'd like to see the next big thing be 100(+) mile routes. Routes long enough to have a high speed service with more than 1 or 2 stops.

• Like Like x 4
  19. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

For me none of the above.
    When will we get an Italian route?
    Great and varied scenery from the lakes of the North, down the Apennines to the further south, "where the baked cicala dies of drouth"
    Great variety of locomotives too.

What dev wouldn't want to go to do research and take photographs etc..

20. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Hopefully, more realistic louder train propulsion, bell, horn and track sound, such as crossing track, crossing bridge, go over junctions, turning tight curve, going straight, screeching

21. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Improved dispatcher, better and actually useful map, improve visuals like night lighting or headlight flares.

As you've said, there aren't many things that could be added as entirely new features (at least not anything I can think of), but there are many ways to improve on things we already have, and I would really like to see that.

• Like Like x 2
  22. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

First thing would be to release all the fixes that have been done for the preserved routes.

But also Crosstie and Penguin beat me to it. A guard mode would be good but I would go further and introduce a career mode, one set in the three main locations. You could start off as a guard and then qualify for a driver and then go round on your different routes for whatever region you are set in. And get continually assed as per your performance with consequences if you mess up being late ETC. It would transform the game into something that had a real purpose to the game. It would have to be optional of course.

And then the lighting really needs to be addressed. For me the stations are just not bright enough, you look at a real station and they are lit up light beacons but in game driving at night is near impossible. And then sounds could do with enhancing as well.

• Like Like x 1
  23. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I think route mergers will happen sooner rather than later, we have seen, especially in the UK and GER that they are focusing on big clusters around certain cities, which can be connected with relative ease, for example the whole Rhein-Ruhr area and ECW, BML and SEHS. It's not even techically hard, as some modders have already joined up RRO and RSN, but it's more of a timetable/gameplay job (how to implement it so that it's still fun for who doesn't want 1h+ journeys, and how to sell it). This feature would really set TSW apart from any current or future competition, and I think (compared to other big implementations) is relatively low-hanging fruit.

I also think we might see a new and improved dispatcher not too far from now, from the Q&A I got the impression they are actually going forward with it, which will hopefully allow for more high frequency lines being implemented, new subways and metros. Not my personal favourite, but seems like in high demand.

I also think that they could be waiting for multiplayer before adding a guard mode, I personally can't see AI drivers being good enough to allow for a realistic guard mode, but of course I could be wrong.

Also I think multiplayer might still be a possibility, given the fact they showed they are capable and willing to invest in server infrastructure, to for example host the livery and scenario sharing.

But personally I think the actual biggest breakthrough will be to allow acces to more third parties, I can see DTG maybe wanting to get into Dutch routes or more French routes, but third parties are our only realistic hope to see anything outside the big 3 markets, and I can't wait for it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  24. driverwoods#1787

Duisburg-Oberhausen-Arnhem Amsterdam via Utrecht can work you introduce Netherlands that way 2hr 12 if using Locomotive hauled trains from Duisburg Hbf 2hr 3 using Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen DB BR406 needs ATB ETCS switch working. Distance for it is 200km 125 mi

25. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Mostly echoing above, but i think after Steam is implemented, a period of refinement of core systems is needed:

Dispatcher 2.0 has to be top of the list as it's the limiting factor of route complexity. Want longer routes/mergers/networks? This is the way to get there.

Lighting system is a mess and needs to be improved and standardized across all content. This would probably also involve upgrading at least some in-game assets to properly react to improved lighting.

Sound system also needs be improved and standardized across all content. It's especially dire on Xbox.

Find a solution to DLC size cap and trophy issues on Playstation.

Start thinking about the transition to TSW3, which seems likely to happen in 2023 or 2024. Will 8th-gen consoles still be supported? If not, communication and honesty will be crucial.

Personal wish- proper implementation of DPU operations on US Freight routes, and making the longer train lengths of Sherman Hill standard going forward.

• Like Like x 3
  26. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I think this is a sensible question one which I suspect DTG will avoid for now until the 9th generation sales pick up considerably otherwise they will have a big hole in their budget. I think this a tricky situation for DTG with Matt wanting to go forward but the bean counters saying 'hang on'.

27. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Speaking of MFD functionality, another possible feature would be a working EBuLa for German trains. That would be a revolutionary feature for immersion and a tremendous aid for HUD-less driving as well as a useful resource for those driving with HUD.

• Like Like x 7
  28. chieflongshin

I think initial investigation is underway here

29. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

I would think they would be moving away from last gen consoles, they can't support then forever unfortunately.

• Like Like x 3
  30. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

I'd love to see some manuals and bug free content. The first one would be a comeback, while the second a very welcome new addition. Maybe after selling so much stuff during the ongoing festival they can finally afford a proper QA team rather then just claiming they have that.

I also wonder what will Rivet's next blunder be...

• Like Like x 1
  31. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

The only thing to expect is the unexpected. Joking aside, I think it's a bit pointless speculating at this point what's to come. While debate and discussion is good, there needs to be a fine balance not to exceed unrealistic expectations.

Please remember that many people actually like driving such routes and their potential integration with existing routes/DLCs they can offer, in turn providing additional layers etc. Nothing wrong with having more such route additions in the future, although as long as there are also some modern UK routes/DLC in different parts of the country too.

32. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

A proper DPU setup with fencing for US freight would be nice.

• Like Like x 5
  33. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

Pointless adding more route requests here. I would add my support for more flexible dispatcher and more extensive system support - DPU with fencing, EOTD etc, plus Ebula for German (and Austrian) routes. The only doubt I have in relation to Ebula is that it would be difficult to read on the average monitor (the GNS output on the 612 emphasizes this) and an immersion-breaking pop-up might be needed (guess I am talking myself into an outsize monitor!).

• Like Like x 3
  34. Lamplight

It’s perfectly readable when zoomed in. I’d assume EBuLa would be treated much the same. Besides, you don’t need to constantly look at it, checking the EBuLa screen (via zooming) every so often works perfectly fine (speaking from my limited Zusi experience).

• Like Like x 1
  35. Ferrovipathe67

Ferrovipathe67 Well-Known Member

Yes the 'radio sol train' for the TGV or all french train the GSMR or the Ebula I hope this is the next big uptade with fonctonnality

36. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

Here's my take which can be sort of split into 2 strands which probably re-iterates things said before
    1. Gameplay
    I find myself drawn to scenarios more than timetabled services. Some of the scenarios are better than others.
    I also like to see full/realistic routes with lots of other traffic
    I think random events, dynamic weather etc would bring something to the Sim. Something that improves on the current
    drive A->B->C and stop for X seconds. In real life, this only happens in an ideal world. The randomness will then at least make each run slightly different. There must be a load more things that make it more real world.
    If I do a timetabled route, that is likely the end of my Sim session. I think bringing in a career mode which has you progressing as a driver, maybe having to prove your skills on one loco before being able to drive another. I'm not very inventive. But looking for something that will encourage me to play a bit more in order I get to the next level. I play Transport Fever 2 and I find myself saying, just another 15 mins and then find I have lost 2 hours (which may or may not be a good thing!).
    Multiplayer - I can't see a real good way to utilise this unlike in Flight Sims where you fly together etc.
    VR would be great. It really does add another dimension to the immersion factor

2. Techinical Improvements
    - Sound
    - Lighting
    - Sort out the bugs. especially some of the whoppers that occur at release time (at least in a timely fashion)

37. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

An upgraded dispatcher/dynamic pather that could allow you to create your own run in scenario editor and keep the existing route's timetable (i.e dynamically path trains between fast/slow tracks for passing, not fall in a signalling heap and create backlogs etc.)

• Like Like x 2
  38. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I definetely think an upgraded dispatcher is in the works. Dynamic weather and pantograph or 3rd rail sparks are not unlikely to come either. I also think the new particle effects for steam might bring an upgrade to diesel exhaust fumes.

Route mergers are a bit more of a tricky one. The biggest hurdles are getting the game user-side to know when to give a player a merged route, and to create a timetable for merged routes that is interconnected, busy, interesting and varied withkut overloading PCs. There is however a lot of potential, in for example Southern England or especially the Ruhr area. With two to three new routes the existing 4 Ruhr routes could all be linked into a mega-network, though the required timetable makes this less likely. A while ago I actually made a thread where I suggested making route mergers come as a loco pack, allowing DTG to generate revenue on them. That still seems like an option that holds great potential to me.

• Like Like x 1
  39. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

The one feature I want more than anything else is randomised events in the game so every run has the potential to be different. Give me AI trains only driving at 75% efficiency. Give me late running services to take over at the start. Give me broken down trains to negotiate around. Give me engineering works and temporary speed restrictions to deal with. Give me freight services where I've got to enter sidings and wait for late running expresses to pass me.

Obviously none the above is possible until we have a dispatcher system which can react and reroute services.

• Like Like x 12
  40. Lamplight

Good one. Sorry to bring up Zusi again, but I’ve had to deal with temporary speed restrictions and even signal failures in Zusi, which was quite nice. I’d love to see something like that in TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  41. robert_LH

robert_LH Member

One more vote for randomised events.

Would make the whole game so much more dynamic and unpredictable.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  42. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

That won’t happen for a good while longer. Approximately 2/3 of TSW2 sales are on consoles, of which only about 15% are gen 9, which means over half of total TSW2 sales are currently on gen 8 (source: Dovetail stream). And although MS stopped XB1 production in 2020, Sony continues to churn out PS4s. I can only see that console market share increasing as new PC graphics cards are even harder to get than gen 9 consoles, and given the exorbitant price of RTX cards at retailers, some PC folks are actually turning towards consoles.

• Like Like x 1
  43. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt be suprised if we slowly start seeing DLC solely for PC & Gen 9 well before Gen 8 is stopped being supported.

• Like Like x 2
  44. BlaringHorn

BlaringHorn Well-Known Member

I could see VR implementation being the "next shiny big thing", and even though I don't even have a headset, it does feel like the most "obvious" lacking "next gen" feature compared to other modern games?

Regarding route mergers, are there any routes in the game that would greatly benefit from it? Is it worthwhile merging two routes that only share the same terminus, for example, when you would have to change the train anyway to use the other half of the route? I feel route mergers make sense if they merge "organically" with each other. Like for example finishing the Ruhr-Sieg Nord route to Siegen from Finnentrop.

45. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

At this moment that is unlikely, we have to make the game better first. That is the main priority, also wait until Multiplayer and other functions come to the game first.

46. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

Thank you. My god can they not spend 20 minutes enjoying what they already have?

• Like Like x 1
  47. Lamplight

For the German routes, the short answer is no. Merging Riesa-Dresden and Dresden-Chemnitz wouldn't make sense because they're set in different time periods. Merging RSN and RRO would allow you to run freight from Wuppertal straight to Finnentrop, which would be welcome, but I don't think there's any passenger train you could run without changing in Hagen Hbf.

48. driverwoods#1787

If that were to occur what would Hagen Gbf be used for because both RSN & RRO freight End/Start There? For this option, Hagen Gbf can be used to re shunt RRO freight trains to form a freight train for RSN using G6 & DB BR363 DB V60. Because DTG didn't make the actual yard where this occurs in Normal operation Hagen Vorhalle a hump yard

• Like Like x 1
  49. OldVern

Read above. This is not a suggestions thread, more a direction of the sim discussion. Start a suitable topic on the Suggestions board if you think a particular train or route is a good idea.

• Like Like x 2
  50. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

For me it would be enhancements to performance and graphics (e.g. to allow for forests to appear in full on Arosa). I'd also like to see the end of the weird tunnel effect where it always appears brighter further ahead, and the sun shining in the cab when there is a solid wall behind you, and some reverb in the tunnels...

• Like Like x 1