Speeds For Passing Warning (amber) Signals

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cattivo, Feb 1, 2022.

1. cattivo

cattivo Member

Probably a dumb question, but is / are there any formula(s) or protocol(s) for what speeds to decelerate to when passing an amber signal?

Obviously this will be different for different countries, and whether it's a first or second (or more?) warning, just wondering if there are any guides?

Or is it just down to driver route knowledge?

TIA :)

2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

These guides should be of help for the U.S. There are a bunch of speed rules to memorise even beyond amber signals. It varies by railroad even.
    Union Pacific
    CSX
    CalTrain
    Note that the CalTrain rules include both route and speed signalling rules depending on where you are on the route. There's quite a bit to memorise here.

For Germany it is simpler: follow the displayed speed limits on the signs and signals. If you see anything less than a solid green and there is no number displayed, assume 40 km/h. For more details and nuance (there is a lot), check out these signalling guides for the systems currently represented in TSW2:
    Ks signalling
    Hp signalling
    Hl signalling
    Bonus! PZB (a complex safety system) rules which gives more context to the signalling rules but isn't strictly necessary to know.

Ironically, I can't help you with UK signalling despite it being the simplest. I'll leave that to someone more knowledgable. :)

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

AIUI, in the UK there are no prescribed speeds for double and single yellows; it's up to the driver to use his best judgment. It varies with circumstances as well- is that double yellow the prelude to a stop two blocks up, or are you just following another train?

• Like Like x 1
  4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

For germany if you follow the PZB speeds you should be OK

EDIT:
    In the UK some companies have a driving policy of doing no more than 20mph, 200 yards away from red signal. Some companies say 15mph and freight is usually 10mph. In snow or low adhesion conditions, 10mph for passanger too. 200 yards is usually where the AWS magnet is but be careful as some AWS magnets are far closer than 200 yards particuarly on the SEHS route.
    Source - Credit goes to Olaf the Snowman

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  5. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

For the UK, it’s different for 4-aspect versus 3-aspect signalling.

With 3-aspect signalling, the distance between the signals is, as a minimum, the full service braking distance from line speed to a stand. So you can pass the single yellow at line speed (which is essential - bear in mind that in thick fog or with a signal with limited visibility, due to curvature for example, you may not see it until you are virtually upon it) but you then need to get the brake into full service, and get the speed down quickly.

With 4-aspect signalling the signals can be closer together, so you need to react at the double yellow. There is no strict rule as to the speed you need to be down to as you pass the single yellow. One of the operators I worked for applied a ‘rule of thumb’ that you should be at no more than half the line speed, with the brake applied, as you pass the single yellow - but there were exceptions. For example, if the line speed was 15mph, you wouldn’t seriously be expected to pass the single yellow at 7mph - so most operators simply say that the Driver must use their knowledge of the route and braking capability of the train to ensure that speed is reduced sufficiently.

One instruction which is very widespread, though, is the speed when you are 200m from the signal. The AWS magnet is normally located 183m from the signal, so it’s easy to know when you’re about 200m from the signal. For most passenger operators the maximum speed when 200m from the signal is 20mph. I believe freight operators tend to say 15mph.

• Like Like x 7
  6. lcyrrjp

P.S. There are no amber signals on UK railways. They are yellow. Traffic lights on roads are amber. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. MatsH

MatsH Active Member

In one of Matt's streams years ago he gave the following advice regarding british signals:
    • double yellow - two thirds of line speed
    • single yellow - one third of line speed
    That's the rule of thumb that I use, and it's working quite well I think :)
    Oh ... and be prepared to stop after passing a single yellow ;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  8. cattivo

cattivo Member

Thanks all. Helpful stuff there, appreciated.

9. cattivo

cattivo Member

:)

10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

With the UK there's an additional thing which is knowledge of the signal spacing. There are times where the signals are more than a mile apart, so a double yellow would mean "prepare to stop in two miles (or more)", then there are places in major cities where you'd be able to see the next several sets of lights (from New Cross to London bridge is a great example of very close spaced lights and a very straight length of track to boot)
    So for me I would say double yellow on high speed tracks would mean "be able to stop within a mile, be aware of next signal", whereas when signals are closer together I would stick to 66% on doubles, 30-35mph on singles and then as slow as you can up to reds - this is because in the UK they prefer to keep trains rolling, even slowly, rather than stop even for a few seconds

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

As a rule of thumb, I drop to 50mph passing a double yellow, 30 at a single yellow but it depends on the route and although I don't have the next aspect shown on the HUD I do leave the distance up.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

Hi. thanks to the OP for raising this question as I was going to ask the same re UK routes so am grateful for the responses. As a side question do others find the signals hard to see from a distance or is it my set up? I’m driving Brighton Mainline and trying to do it without the HUD but can’t see any signal colour generally until I’m right on top of it.

13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Sometimes it is hard to see them upcoming, especially the ones where they're buried in the treeline to the side of the tracks

14. lcyrrjp

I find them OK as they are, but there is a patch to make the BML signals brighter:

https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/m...es/i1800-brighter-led-signals-london-commuter

15. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Whereas on the other hand, on GWE in good conditions you can see them a mile off.