Further Expansion Of The Rhb Routes & Rolling Stock And Enhancement Pack Suggestion.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MarcoK1999, Jul 3, 2018.

?
  1. Yes, I am interested in both

23 vote(s)
    76.7%
  2. Yes, I am interested in the Bernina-Bahn only

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Yes, I am interested in the historic material only

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. No, I am not interested

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. I don’t really care

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. Other (comment below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MarcoK1999

MarcoK1999 Member

Hello! First of all, this is my first post on this forum, so if this is in the wrong board I apologize, but I’m a bit confused. Anyway here goes, ever since my holiday in Switzerland I’ve wanted to go back to finish what I started. Travelling every line of the RhB. So far I’ve been everywhere except the track from Reichenau-Tamins to Disentis. At the moment the dlc for the albula-lina and arosa-line are available and I’ve really enjoyed it so far, but because I’ve been to many of these places, I think the RhB has a lot more potential for more routes and rolling stock.

An overview of the RhB tracks currently in operation
    [​IMG]

(Source: https://www.rhb.ch/de/service-souvenirs/streckennetz)

The Bernina-Bahn (St. Moritz - Tirano)
    The RhB currently operates on various lines, one more exciting than the other. It’s one of the few railways in the world that have an UNESCO world heritage site status. A part of this track has been added to the game, yet one of the most fascinating pieces of track are not available as dlc. (Yes it’s available as freeware, but I do believe that the makers of the previous stated routes have done such a great job, that I think they should give this one a go as well!). I’ve been fortunate enough to ride the Bernina Express myself in these panoramic wagons which is an experience I’ll never forget. That’s why I believe that the Bernina-Bahn would be a very nice addition to the collection of DLC available for this game. Here are some iconic pictures of the in real-life route: https://www.rhb.ch/en/panoramic-trains/bernina-express

This route could feature some unique landmarks along the route, like the Morteratsch Glacier:
    [​IMG]

And the Brusio Spiral Viaduct:
    [​IMG]

The Rolling Stock
    The Bernina-Bahn uses AC instead of the usual DC used by the RhB. The “Allegra” trains have been equipped with pantographs for use on both systems, but for the other locomotives this has resulted in some rolling stock unique to the Bernina-Bahn. Aside from that, the panoramic wagons are also something not to forget.

RhB ABe 4/4 III
    [​IMG]

Bernina-Express panoramic wagons
    [​IMG]
    Interior of a 2nd class panoramic wagon

[​IMG]
    Outside view of the Bernina Panoramic wagons

Ideally this route and the rolling stock provided would be compatible with the Albula and Arosa bahn and vice versa.

Is this it?
    Nope!

RhB Enhancement pack 03?
    As a big lover of steam trains and old rolling stock, I think the RhB has some potential here as well! I don’t think I’m the only one interested in this, and asidd from that the RhB has a beautiful collection of old steam engines and electric trains which still operate to this day! Here’s a quick summary of what that would look like:

RhB G 4/5 No. 107 “Albula” and No. 08 “Engadina”
    [​IMG]

RhB G 3/4 No. 1 “Rhätia”
    [​IMG]

RhB G 3/4 No. 11 “Heidi”
    [​IMG]

RhB Ge 6/6 I “Krokodil”
    [​IMG]

RhB Ge 4/6 I
    [​IMG]

And last but not least, a set of (a few) of these historic trains, wouldn’t look right with modern coaches. So here’s a picture of the historical coaches of the RhB:[​IMG]

I can go into further detail about the locomotives, routes and rolling stock, but ofcourse I am curious how many people are interested in this and what the reaction of the developers is, hence why I added a poll. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to PM me or comment below I’ll do my best to answer as soon as possible!

Thank you for taking the time to read my input, and have a nice day.

All credit for the images used goes to the creators. If you have any issues please contact me through PM.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Wolf

Wolf Member

I really like those suggestions of yours, especially for the Enhancement pack 3, I'd love me some crocodiles and steam locos on the RhB.

I also like your idea of the Berninabahn extension, it is indeed spectacular, been there in real life and the old freeware version is getting a bit old, lacking modern assets and correct signalling.
    Just a small thing, the Berninabahn is the one who is DC, the rest of the network is AC.

Other than that, why not extend the RhB first to Chur and then westwards to Disentis?
    As then we could start on the old FO (Furka-Oberalpbahn/Furka-Oberalp-Railway) now part of the MGB, which would include cogwheel railways and some spectacular routes, like not just the mainline but also the Schöllenenbahn and the "Mountain route" over the Furkapass which is today operated as a steam railway.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MarcoK1999

MarcoK1999 Member

Yes I agree with you, but I think that would be pushing the developers too much. And eyah I really think not extending the line to Tirano was a missed chance, and I hope the historic engines would be considered.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GWR5029

GWR5029 Member

I would love to see the Historic Stock you suggest in enhancement 3. Very similar to what I suggested to DTG's page earlier as far as the Kroks and steam, or to Thomson and SHG for 107/108. That would be lovely to see, but my true Swiss Simulator dream is to see Furka or Brienz Rothorn Bahn.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MJLevy1118

MJLevy1118 Member

Having had the old freeware Albula/Bernina line for quite a while, and being familiar with the real-life line, I was first very excited to see the announcement for Thomson's Bernina line DLC - and then pretty disappointed to see that the line is truncated to end at Poschiavo, and that no ABe's of any generation would be included.

A full (payware) version of the Berninabahn, complete with its iconic rolling stock, would be a beloved addon for the TS community.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mattg17

Mattg17 Member

Having only just managing to stumble onto this forum (I rarely appear on here) and the fact that I am a fan of the RHb, I wouldn't mind seeing more RHb content. Personally I wouldn't mind having the section from Chur to Thusus with the ABe 4/16 (4 car Allegra), and maybe the Davos Filisur line.

7. MarcoK1999

MarcoK1999 Member

I’m sorry for the bump of this topic, and I realise I might be a little late for the Bernina, but the others are quite new, but I have to share this with fellow RhB enthusiasts:

Bernina Express:
    http://www.thomsoninteractive.com/berninapass-overview.html

ABe 4/4 III announcement:
    http://www.thomsoninteractive.com/rhbpack03-indev.html

Ge 6/6 “Krokodil”:
    https://www.simtrain.ch/pi/RhB-Krokodil-Ge-6-6-I.html

G 3/4 “Heidi” and “Rhätia”:
    https://www.simtrain.ch/pi/RhB-Dampflokomotive-G3-4-Heidi.html

I hope someone is going to put effort in creating my all time favourite, the G4/5 steam locomotives as well :D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

No need for the apology for the bump and thanks for the links. These will be on my wishlist.

9. MarcoK1999

MarcoK1999 Member

I could’t resist buying the two, despite not owning the Heidi Express route....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Nice, your screenshots do more justice than their product pages.

11. Mattg17

Mattg17 Member

On nice! So we are getting a Pack 3 after all. I'll have to get it and possibly check out the other stuff when I net a chance.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  12. MarcoK1999

MarcoK1999 Member

Further details of the pack should be announced soon

And turns out simtrain isn't done yet either:
    https://www.simtrain.ch/pi/Apine-Classic-Pullman-Express.html

• Like Like x 1
  13. MarcoK1999

MarcoK1999 Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pectacq

Pectacq New Member

I would like to see the RhB BDt added to the game and the davos - filisur line and the scuol - pontrensina line

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  15. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Thomson have said they are working on more. They did a dev Q&A a while ago and it is pretty much 1 guy doing everything, I think the reason he didn't end up going to Tirano was time and budget constraints, maybe it'll get extended in the future.

16. MarcoK1999

MarcoK1999 Member

So this is bump number two, again sorry about that.

But things are going really well by the look of things;

The GE 6/6 II is in development
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...-the-rhb-enhancement-pack-04-ge-6-6-ii.19565/

... we've got an extension to Tirano
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/ts20-bernina-line…-out-now.19488/

and we've got the Surselva line
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/ts20-surselva-spectacular.19150/

At this point I really hope they go on and complete the entire network (It is relatively small compared to most railways). And I would love to see some more historic rolling stock at some point, especially a G4/5, because those steam locomotives run several times a year over the mainline. We'll see what the future brings us then!

• Like Like x 3
  17. glenagalt

glenagalt New Member

Agree with the desirability of everything suggested above, and have a handful of suggestions of my own, focusing on what would give additional gameplay bang-per-buck rather than a shopping list of All The Things.

1) A shunting locomotive would breathe new life into freight activities- any shunting loco: A Te or Ge 2/2 would be a delight, although the latter would be confined to the Bernina line as a DC machine. Alternatively either one of the larger diesels like Gm 3/3 or any of the numerous Tm 2/2s would suit as well as being able to venture out from under the wires.

2) Diesel/dual power. There are a fair number of non-electrified sidings on the various routes which are largely decorative. Any machine with its own onboard power would enable a lot more action to be squeezed out of existing track and freight assets. Any of the diesel shunters mentioned above would be good. Even better would be the Gem 4/4 dual-power main line locomotives. Although confined to DC (Bernina line) territory on the juice, their onboard diesel engine is powerful enough to make them useful anywhere for through freight, or engineering or "thunderbird" activities when the wires are dead.

3) Control car/steuerwagen. Any of the numerous passenger driving trailers would be a welcome companion to loco-hauled passenger operations on the metre gauge lines, particularly partnering with Ge 4/4 IIs on the Arosa line.

4) Carflat: Although the only line currently offering transport of private cars- Vereina tunnel- is extremely limited scenically so not likely to appear as a route, the same service was offered between Thusis and Samedan until relatively recently, allowing motorists a relaxed alternative to driving through the mountains. This would enable a serious "beefing up" of the Albula line timetable into something very busy while staying within the bounds of realism.

18. MarcoK1999

MarcoK1999 Member

I agree with the control car and shunter, other ones would be very nice, yet not absolutely necessary. Cars over the Albula have been a thing of the past ever since the Vereina tunnel I believe. Dual power would be nice, but I can also imagine that it must be an absolute nightmare to make.

Anyway we’ve got some historical content with the Ge 6/6 II in green: https://www.rivet-games.com/product/rhb-enhancement-pack-05/
    Though this might not be the most interesting historical content at this moment, at some point in the near future all 6/6 II will retire, except for one that will be built back to its original condition, along with some of the coaches being painted in green. (Source: Historic RhB)

And we’ve got the Engadin line: https://www.rivet-games.com/product/engadin-linie-pontresina-scuol-tarasp-route/
    On this line you could, in theory, complete a steam ride as well whenever we get the big locomotive, or you could use the crocodile with the blue carriages, very interesting. This is where we miss the control car most though however.

This means that the only part we are missing is Thusis - Reichenau - Chur - Landquart - Davos - Filisur (However This will probably be cut up in several small lines, if they are planning to release it, as it is quite a length).

19. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

My understanding is Chur is probably going to be the problem area. TS does not do mixed gauge (Chur to near Reichnau is dual standard and metre) - with rails missing through junctions - JT had similar issues with their Underground route trying to put the 4th rail through junctions and the fact it wasn't possible. While you can just about get away with a lack of conductor rail through a set of points, you can't get away with a missing running rail!

20. Mattg17

Mattg17 Member

If one is able to develop a trackrule that has the standard gauge with the meter gauge inside of it then I could see Chur being possible. Not too sure about how junctions would look though.....