Whats Your Biggest Niggle With Tsw?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Mar 31, 2022.

1. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

More dynamic NPC's (lots and lots of them) and more life to the scenery. NPC guards. Modern day passengers with phones. Really working railroad workers. Railroad workers that are not always on break. Railroad workers at the depots. Factory workers around factories, farmers on the land, Suits near offices, pedestrians in urban areas. Wildlife, air traffic like balloons on the country side on specific dates, helicopters and planes on routes where they fit in. ....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

The map is simply outdated and very rudimentary. It only serves as a rough orientation and has nothing to offer apart from setting the course. This is a pity!

In particular, stations or track numbers and branches should be displayed. It would also be nice if e.g. Bridges, tunnels or topographical features could be highlighted. It would be even better if you could toggle this info on and off as needed.
    I would also like to be able to switch to any other location in pedestrian mode via the map. Just to be able to explore everything comfortably.

And I would be very grateful for a decent night vision. This pitch-black darkness with spotlights and no ambient light just looks spooky and doesn't let you delve a bit into the depths of the night.

The start menu could be cleaned up, with a filter by country. The submenus could certainly be made more organized. And it would be great to integrate the Drivers log from DTL-live!
    And I really don't need 3 intros until I'm finally in the game.

• Like Like x 8
  3. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

The juvenile scoring system. I don't need to be awarded points for driving under the limit. That is a given, why would i run the game if i wasn't going to try and do it properly. The absolutely mental cabsway motion, particularly at 100% setting. More like being at sea in a force 8. TS20xx does it much better. The completely unrealistic sterile surroundings, routes just do not have any tangible life. This is supposed to be a better game than TS20xx, but in a lot of aspects it has gone backwards. Give me the older game over this, all day long. Oh and the disabling of the stupid markers in the settings. No matter how many times i disable the mission or whatever it's called marker. When i start the game subsequently. There the ba***rd is again floating around outside the windscreen, immersion killer or what. Get a grip DTG, this game could have been so much better than it is. EDITORS.................................. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Like Like x 8
  4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I mean the game has been out for 5 years already. My post about that was also meant to he sarcastic as well. You have a point that DTG may never fix the save system at this rate. But hey you never truly know I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  5. space_ace96

space_ace96 Active Member

My biggest niggles would probably be:
    Sound: DTG has known for years that sound hasn't been up to par. I get that COVID restrictions were around for a time, but that now starts to sound like an excuses. US commuter railroads right now have no restrictions other than mask mandates, yet DTG hasn't visited the US in years to record sounds accurately. The balancing is off and horns and motors are too quiet.
    Announcements/PIS: I just played a FREE ROBLOX game of all things that has working announcements recorded by actual UK railway announcers, and it's dynamic, announcing both on board and on platforms, and even adapting to longer trains, telling passengers which coaches won't open when you pick a longer train. It's hard to believe this would be impossible to do in TSW2. Also, it seems really inconsistent whether we get realistic PIS and whether you can select the destination on trains or not.
    Lighting: Lighting just seems so unnatural in-game. The sky is way too bright compared to the surroundings in cloudy whether, US train headlights aren't bright enough, and platform lighting is inconsistent. The buildings and surroundings are just too dark in cities.
    Reduced Features: When TSW first came out and in the first few DLC, so many things were clickable. You could control passenger lights, local door control panels, open engine bays, open freight cars and other little things. It seems like with each DLC, the features become more bare bones. And finally,
    Manuals: Remember when TSW DLC had manuals? It seems DTG just gave up on doing them. Even Rivet for all their issues write manuals. The tutorials only explain the core features of each train/route and I'm not going to watch through a 2 hour stream of Matt playing every time I want to know what a particular signal means or how ACSES works or what position the brake lever needs to be in to satisfy ATC. New players aren't going to either. For those of us who want to play more realistically or get every feature out of trains, we need manuals.

• Like Like x 10
  6. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

This. I also think what they have done to the GWE is criminal or rather what they have left out, all the way to Cardiff if I had my way.

I think what other things annoy me with this game have mostly been said but I think lighting at the stations really should be addressed, it is embarrassing how dark Town and City stations are plus the sound.

Personally I'd love clearer dials so going hudless is an option. I suffer from double vision and the digits are to blurry for me so I have to have the hud on.

• Like Like x 2
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

And one other thing that can be categorised as a niggle, which I have mentioned before...

The distance shown on the various markers and HUD display should be the actual track/driven mileage, not as the crow flies/direct.

• Like Like x 10
  8. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

sun shine + shadows on the tracks when it is completely cloudy and raining outside

also my train wipers are moving they are casting moving shadows on other trains
    even with my cab lights off

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  9. Railmaster

What really annoys me are the frequent camera collisions in the exterior view!
    Even when the camera feels a few meters away from the object. On some routes there are hardly any collisions, on others the outside view is hardly usable in sections. There is no uniform standard here. Why do we even need these collisions? This massively disrupts the immersion!

The outside view is particularly strange when you drive into a tunnel and then you are in an "in-between world".

That doesn't look very professional...

• Like Like x 6
  10. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

One more thing grinds my gears: the lack of manuals. This is simply unbelievable for a software pretending to be a sim.
    No, streams, video tutorial or community provided guides are not a solution. This type of software should come with manuals.
    Now I'm playing with the newly acquired 612, with the new GNT and guess what? No manual, no tutorial, no nothing. This is BS.

• Like Like x 8
  11. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

My biggest niggle is:

Im a customer willing to pay a lot of cash into good quality addons. Right now im thinking about unistalling the entire thing and do my stuff on real trains. Unfortunatley i cant find the quality anymore, which brought me here in the first place.

Missing tracksounds, cutted features and not improving routes (at least in my opinion).

• Like Like x 3
  12. Cellersaver

Cellersaver New Member

My biggest niggle? It is not being able to print out (or transfer the file) of keyboard and controller assignments. They are in options but I have not found a way to make them available while I play the sim.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Railmaster

DTG should publish the hotline of the QA in India who are also testing the DLC. Shouldn't they be able to help with any problem?

I mean, manuals are so old-school and not smart enough. Who RTFM? Call the hotline!

In these fast moving times there is simply no more room for manuals... :(

• Like Like x 1
  14. tallboy7648

On the topic of manuals, does anyone know why DTG don't do manuals anymore?

• Like Like x 1
  15. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

They quite literally said “We don’t have time to make them”.

I wish I could say this is a joke, but unfortunately it isn’t. DTG’s priorities are all over the place with TSW. Even they don’t seem to know what to do with it.

• Like Like x 7
  16. tallboy7648

Surely they would have a team that can do manuals though right? If rivet games can make manuals then surely DTG can. Perhaps they will do it again in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  17. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Interesting translation

• Like Like x 1
  18. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

Heavy rain, full cloud and bright sunshine? TSW2_Coppo_1648917805_00.png

• Like Like x 6
  19. PBrogaard

PBrogaard Active Member

Hi.
    First, I read the title days ago and thought 'Oh, no yet another complaints thread", but looked into it today, and it's a really good thread redrev1917 thanks for starting it. Very good input from all users.

I can only join the choir on most topics, Save function, sounds, lighting, but also glad the train guard idea has come to light.

Only to add something different - I've posted about it before, and I will make an update on the topic at a later point - but the modelling of points and crossings is simply too simplified/incorrect. Apart from very very few, I think one or two routes, that I have come across, places you can experience points with more point machines. Especially driving on high speed track, I laugh in the face of virtual death at every point and crossing, as the whole shebang is held in place by a rusty metal bar and a single point machine. Would it be so much of a stretcher bar to make the infrastructure as it actually is?

This thread is full of great ideas and thoughts on topics that are really missing in TSW. For once not a moaning competition, I like it (Disclaimer, I moan myself).

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Mistakes happen, but as an example, dtg's complete inability to sort out simple issues such as ensuring routes have the correct number of accessable collectables on routes like sherman hill just shows the utter contempt with the way they treat their customers.

Sorry dtg, all the excuses just don't cut it with me anymore, you've had plenty of opportunity to sort issues like this. I am no longer buying your content.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  21. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

In no particular order :
    - Announcements (before departure, before arriving train and so)
    - AI whistles.... (that would be a nice addition !)
    - An option to start with all system on and breakers on, in,stead of speeding to manually swittch them on
    - Evry thing that would add immersion / life, works, people, static trains etc...
    - Dynamic weather, come on it exists in scenarios and flight sims have it since, well 20 years or more.

• Like Like x 7
  22. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

The lack of unrealistic track joint flange, squeal, screeching sound, and the rumbling sound of the train going on the track, and especially like so many people here mention the dynamic weather, not changeable, especially in timetable mode, where it constantly changes every few hours which i think they should also have an option of in real-time weather, AND one more big thing it THE SAVE FUNCTION, still not fix yet, which is preventing for a longer route. :|:(

• Like Like x 6
  23. dhekelian

There was a German? bloke (sorry, forgot name) who did some excellent manuals for Loco and route. They really were in brilliant detail, why the hell DTG did not use this person to make manuals officially I will never know, I doubt DTG could match his detail. Honestly, it would of been a perfect fit.
    If they don't want the hassle of printing one out they could have an android app so people could use the manual while driving.

And like someone said above, why can't we print out the controls? It would be so useful to players, especially new ones and players that don't know how to turn on the safety systems, etc. Come on DTG it isn't that hard.

• Like Like x 1
  24. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

for me, the lack of 'joystick' input,
    but thats because i like to make controllers and simulate driving a train by moving the levers on my desk, instead of pressing keyboard keys / game controller buttons or using a raildriver... which is based on an american switching loco, and totally daft for european locos.

• Like Like x 1
  25. londonmidland

Still no proper map with labels, despite the game being several years old now.

I like the way TS1 does it, even if it doesn't look very 'modern'. I like how you can see the head codes and service names of other trains on the map.

• Like Like x 10
  26. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Some stuff which didnt get priority during core creation, takes now a giant effort to realise or implement.

The 3 car / 2 car substitution is a thing, different loco versions and the map too.

My only explanation to the basic map is, that dtg created those maps enclosed to the routes and its dlc.
    So a change of the map isnt a core update, it would require an update of each dlc. Thats why they dont touch it, despite all the suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Railmaster

If you switch to the pause menu during a service, you can also display a map here. This at least shows the stations. We now have two maps, a universal one would be better.

Of course, each map is individual for each DLC. Nevertheless, a completely new map would also be a core update for new and future DLC. The PC crew would then be required for the existing ones, but I think they already have enough to do. It's ok if that isn't handed in later.

Either way, the map thing isn't really a problem, but it's also anything but satisfying. And yes, this construction site will not be small.

28. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

What they did on GWE is fine too me. What they did with GWB(Great Western Blue) was Pure WTF what were they thinking material. And the severe wasted potential on this route

• Like Like x 2
  29. PBrogaard

PBrogaard Active Member

The map in the menu when choosing a timetable service would also be great if it could show place names, at least start and finish. No I don’t remember from route to route which is city is A or B and for the longer runs the route showed is hairline thin and the start and destination marker which I after several years playing still can’t tell apart, are microscopic.

But thats nothing compared to the afore mentioned basic map even being a.. basic map.

Train Sim World maybe emphasizing the experience in the global orientation and world we’re simulating would be WAY cooler than offering icecones, litter, logs and wooden goats all over. I ofc appreciate people want to find this stuff, my personal niggle with the map is something I’m confronted with every time I play.

• Like Like x 1
  30. dhekelian

I agree although I have a Raildriver and yes it is based on an American Loco but I would say it is the best at this time. On the Alan Thompson website there were a couple of controllers made for UK stock and looked really good but alas even though they are quite expensive they were made for TS1 with limited functionality. There is also a thread on here that shows you how to build your own and is really tempting (although I think I would balls it up). It is in one of the Raildriver threads I think.

31. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Id be in the market for a new UK style rail controller but theres zero way I could build my own even if there was a simple way to use it in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  32. PBrogaard

PBrogaard Active Member

The Alan Thomson AWS plunger has massively improved my TSW experience. Also having a huge push button connected via USB gives soo much street credit.

• Like Like x 1
  33. londonmidland

Hey guys, I posted a fresh thread, of some of which highlights the issues explained in here. I'm hoping after today's stream, the developers will actually take notice and take action with what's been said.

Take a look here

• Like Like x 1
  34. NSMotherSlug#881

NSMotherSlug#881 Active Member

I'd like to see working Mirrors for those of us that like to play in cab always, an option to move the Seat View closer or further away and to Raise and Lower the seats in cab. A timetable sheet that shows Speed Limits and grades to the indicated milepost would really be nice to have given a lot of locomotives have clipboard paper holders make them hold Timetable info. Better Stronger HEADLIGHTS that i've been asking for since TSW that never got still.

• Like Like x 3
  35. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Bugs

• Like Like x 3
  36. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

I would like an external camera view (2) that stays a set distance from the train as in TS 2022.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Kevinsim1046

Kevinsim1046 Active Member

For me it would be the shunting. I can’t stand the way they do shunting on TSW, every time I try and do a shunt scenario or service, I cringe. The fact that to flip a switch from one track to the next, they make you go a mile down the track as far from the switch as possible, then make you go all the way back once you have flipped it. In reality, they literally stop the train just beyond the switch they have to flip, and I mean like a meter beyond the switch, not a mile away.

I think switching would be a lot more fun if when loaded up, they just tell you what cars need to be put and where, and then it’s up to you to do it.

Another small niggle is of course the rain in tunnels and sometimes covered stations…I mean come on.

And as many have mentioned already, the lack of consistency throughout DLCs. Sometime we get wheel flange squeal, other times not. Sometimes we get good night lighting, other times not. Sometime we get more detail, other times not. Sometime we get more interactivity, other times not. It’s just so inconsistent that I find it frustrating.

Another one for me is station and train announcements, without them a lot of the routes feel dead, especially Bakerloo. I have spent hours on WoS3 as it just feels alive, where I can’t play the one on TSW as it feels empty and dead.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I think many ( if not most ) of us use the 2d map to throw switches in the game. The engineer would not be constantly leaving his cab to do it, so just pretend you're a kind of yard hostler instead. Or, if you want to be more hands-on, use the free camera to " fly " around.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Kevinsim1046

Kevinsim1046 Active Member

I do use the free camera to kind of pretend to be the shunter, however, the fact that one has to take the train so far from the switch just ruins the experience for me. I get completely thrown out of the realism and just want to hurry up and get the service or scenario done as quickly as possible so that I can move on. This is why I mentioned it under here. For some it might be fine, but for me it is something I can’t stand.

• Like Like x 1
  40. OldVern

I either use the 2D map or the "8" view where possible to work manual points. However there are a few scenarios where I think you have to get down from the cab and walk/run to the location.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Crosstie

I know the tutorials always want you to get out of the cab and do it manually, but, since I've never seen this done on a stream, I never do. Same for coupling/uncoupling. Switching scenarios would take a lifetime to complete manually, although goodness knows I could use the exercise. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  42. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Play hard, go pro :D

43. NSMotherSlug#881

What Dovetail needs to do for Switching Scenarios is make a stand in player character in the engineer's seat as you can control the locomotive BUT you are NOT the actual ENGINEER instead, you're a BRAKEMAN on that train and can walk all around while controling the locomotive I would say just make a RCL ( Radio Controlled Locomotive ) but Dovetail never listens been asking since TSW the first game back in the Beta and never heard a word from them. EA I mean haha Dovetail makes you travel a mile down track to make the gameplay Longer so it feels like there's more game time to play, is the only reason I could think of as I have worked as a Brakeman & Hump Master for 31 years in real life and in game its Not how Freight Railroads do it Time is Money.

• Like Like x 2
  44. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

My biggest niggle?

This game is a poor imitation of what it could and should have been. DTG were meant to be starting with a clean slate and making a next-gen Train Simulator. Instead they imported many of the design problems inherent in TS20XX, added a few more for good measure, picked an engine that in all likelihood wasn’t suited to train simulation and after a strong start with GWE slowly but surely made the game worse from there. Instead of learning lessons, they repeated many of the failures.

My second biggest niggle?

It is very clear indeed that DTG simply don’t have the resource, the skill or the will to right the wrongs and fix this game going forward. Train Sim World will never be more than something that could have have been amazing but is, in fact, just a bit rubbish. Yes it can be enjoyable at times, but it fails in so many respects and has done for so long that I no longer waste my money on it. For all the talk, for all the apologies, virtually no progress has been made since this game was released.

I believe DTG are very lucky indeed that they are the only show in town…God help them if anything else comes along. This isn’t a niche market as the apologists like to keep saying so that is no excuse. You make the game good enough and it will attract players who had never, ever considered spending money on a train simulator. I was one of them, and I got into it because I saw people showing Armstrong Powerhouse’s content off on YouTube. The truth is though that TS20XX was as big as it was largely in spite of DTG, not because of them. The vast majority of DTG content for TS20XX had fairly nice exterior models, but terrible sound, rudimentary physics, basic systems simulation and were almost all bug ridden to hell. Many of the scenarios that came with routes couldn’t be completed because of bugs, and they remain that way to this day. As is standard DTG always promised to fix these bugs but they never did, they just marched on to the next DLC release. Across all the content the only consistent thing was a distinct lack of consistency.

Does that sound at all familiar?

Despite the clear passion from so many for this game to succeed the reality is that a leopard doesn’t change it’s spots.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 10
  45. NSMotherSlug#881

TOTALY AGREE 100%

Dovetails down fall was porting it to Consoles as PC players have to feel the Console players fate of not being able to handle certain things in game like Performance Scale Detail Etc, so it's been dubbed down because of that reason as many companies do this when they get Money Hungry. Just look at TS2022 a game that's a Decade old and still sells Locomotives and Routes that aren't ever finished or fixed. Horseshoe Curve was the last Route that I bought only because it's a Route I've been asking for since TSW and now after I seen what I waited for I'll go back to Run8 and Railroads Online both Companies that Listen to their Players Feed Back and actually answer questions on Live stream and their Forums. Last I looked Nobody asked for a Creators Club Livery maker I believe everyone asked for a Route Builder I'm I mistaken.

• Like Like x 5
  46. OldVern

And the fact it has gone so quiet on the release front, other than Spirit Of Steam and A.N. Other German route, makes me wonder what’s happening behind the scenes. Have they really put all their eggs in the steam basket? What happens if SoS turns out to be a complete disaster either procedurally or commercially, given the person hours put into it? As I said earlier either in this thread or another, this is the company with a history of fire and forget when it comes to releases or in the case of Flight Sim World take the money, declare out of early access then, “Oops, sorry folks, project cancelled.”

If Paul Jackson decided tomorrow he wanted a simulation of his favourite golf courses, or his mates at EA got on the phone asking for one, you could bet the train sim team would be getting a memo that from next week they are working on Golf Sim World… (not that I wouldn’t mind a decent golfing game on the PC as there’s been pretty much a dearth in recent years).

• Like Like x 3
  47. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

I was mightily hacked off when they announced the first engine update and that they were leaving the old content behind, and rightly so. However, right now I honestly think the best thing DTG could do is break free from TSW and consign it to history. Not release TSW3, I mean bin it completely. Start again.

It needs a fresh sheet of paper and a complete redesign from the bottom up. Whether that game runs on a completely different engine or UE5, it must come with an editor/SDK that allows 3rd parties to make and sell content. It is working for FS2020 and it would work for a train sim. As amazing as flight sim is, were it not for the 3rd party content I am in no doubt that it simply wouldn’t be what it is today. If a company with the resources of MS & Asobo can’t do it all by themselves then what hope have DTG got?

TSW is a busted flush. The management team behind it have made some woefully poor decisions along the way, from the initial concept to the critically fateful decision to pick an engine that didn’t allow a Developer Kit bolt-on. From that day on this mess was always inevitable and has got to the point that it is very clearly unrecoverable.

In my humble opinion it’s high time they acknowledge that fact and start again. Admitting you got it wrong or made a mistake is flippin’ hard to do, but relentlessly throwing sticking plaster on a sinking ship is only delaying the inevitable.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  48. dhekelian

I hope someone from DTG reads this and takes it to heart.

If DTG wanted to take TSW2 to the next level they should release a full editor. So we can get routes we want from modders, so that the routes can be fixed, dynamic weather, bugs addressed, perhaps even a scoring system that made sense. All these things could follow if a full editor was released to the modders but they won't as they want full control.

DTG are still making money from TS1 so there isn't much excuse and for those that do not like mods then don't download them, simples.

• Like Like x 2
  49. londonmidland

I don't know why but I've always had this thought that DTG have refrained from releasing the editor because they're scared modders and/or freeware creators may be able to do a better job at them when it comes to route building, which may harm their sales.

Could be complete nonsense but I've always had this suspicion.

• Like Like x 5
  50. Crosstie

I don't think so. A very healthy percentage of routes and locos in TSC are built by 3rd parties, both payware and freeware and this has always been actively encouraged.
    The lack of an editor has more to do with licensing I think, both UE and the rail operators. For some reason, licenses are more restrictive for TSW than for TSC.