Fix For Bnsf Routes And Locomotives Now Worldwide Yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trainsimplayer2020, Apr 9, 2022.

1. trainsimplayer2020

trainsimplayer2020 Well-Known Member

Has this things been fixed yet for us in the rest of the world so we do not need to tick and untick a lot of things everytime you do a completely new reinstallation of the game?

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You have purchased you add-ons thru Steam.
    If you had to reinstall the software just by installing Steam anything you purchased would still be available for download.

You would only need to tick/untick DLC if you did not want them installed or to reinstall

Around June of last year I was running out of space and I installed a new drive just for this game.
    I installed Steam on that G: drive and it Automatically installed everything I had purchased
    I purchased Cajon Pass on Dec 24th 2011 and I have it on my machine even though it was freshly downloaded in 2021

3. trev123

trev123 Active Member

I'm not sure what you are talking about but BNSF DLC has now all been released for the ROTW. Bnsf Routes And Locomotives Now Worldwide! | Dovetail Games Forums

4. trainsimplayer2020

Talking about the nonmarkings BNSF stuff and other stuff for the rest of the world.

Wonder if DTG have deleted those stuff in their server so next time on reinstallation we will get the correct download without needing to tick and untick stuff?

5. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

No, you'll still have to untick

- Racetrack ROW Livery package
    - Montana Hi-Line: ROW Assets
    - Clear Creek ROW Livery pack
    - Clear Creek Old Timers Pack ROW Livery Pack
    - Arizona ROW Assets
    - Product ThreeHundredThirtyFour (704280) which is Raton Pass ROW assets

DTG won't delete them because it could lead to legal issues. People might insist they have paid for those unbranded DLC.

6. trainsimplayer2020

Then I think that DTG should post instructions exactly what to do to get the brandings on the BNSF stuff and other stuff even that players have already solved it here on Forum.

Because it is no fun to search the whole forum just to solve it by yourself.

7. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

It has been posted at the time of release, either by DTG, Rob Jansen or Cyclone I think. A sticky announcement would be useful, you're right.

But once unticked, it should stay like that even if you reinstall the game unless you're deleting your appmanifest file.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2022
  8. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Yes, we posted about this. You need to remove both sets of assets (to ensure unbranded is cleared) and then recheck the U.S. one once Steam is done the removal.

9. trev123

trev123 Active Member

I have just been through my BNSF DLC etc and unticked the ROW DLC luckily I only had 5 items to untick as most I had before the ban. The 5 were Arizona Divide, Raton Pass, Montana Highline, and Clear Creek Railway, and a scenario pack that I purchased for it I think it was called Old Timers Pack.

10. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I noticed I had to do the same after trying to run a BNSF route and found it unbranded after my recent reinstall. I had to go back and do the unticking and reticking again.

11. Cyclone

A stock pack, actually. Scenarios would not be branded or unbranded, they use the stock provided in either version.

12. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Not always true. Stock for the Clearcreek railway and the old-timer's pack had there own branding for that route.

13. Cyclone

Not what I meant. I think the files for both the correct branding and the faux branding or unbranded versions, while in different RWP files, was still aliased to the same location. If i am mistaken, feel free to prove me wrong. I don't have the faux branding. I would still say, if they ARE different, to now give all customers both, but I don't think they can because they use the same location for the different files. This is why Just Trains products don't work sometimes, and also the source of the Union Workshop issues with the Asia asset pack in two different versions with updated cabbage fields and such. Routes don't work properly if multiple versions of a file try to load, but whatever is outside an RWP file will take precedence.

14. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Just Trains installations are... messy! I know for sure...

15. Cyclone

I am working on a spreadsheet (delayed with my drive failure) documenting files in every single JT install on Steam and intend to demonstrate that uninstalling one can cause breakage in another. Or even in content purchased directly via JT. They really need to get their installs figured out, and I intend to prescribe a solution for that. The problem is they use the same folder for everything, though with the amount of space required it might not be surprising. What they really need is a Common Library AP file that they can provide separately so that route assets remain with the route.

Fortunately, that file is on Google. So the research so far is not lost.

• Like Like x 1
  16. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

If you ever have the reason to uninstall one, just remove the route folder and keep the assets.

And yeah, I've had that "Union Workshop" effect when adding JT Cornish Main Line to Steam SWEX. Crash when creating blueprints.pak! Unpacked everything and merged them to my own .ap (CommonLibrary, GreatWestern folder). When installing non-Steam JT stuff I always install to a seperate RailWorks folder to see what will be overwritten and then copy files manually.

People who are not aware what to do will be lost, because Support will not help.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2022
  17. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Btw the thing is done and there's nothing to fix. There's two versions you can choose of. And how often do you want to reinstall? Just a few clicks...

18. Cyclone

Support for Steam or for DTG? Steam Support will not know what to do, and DTG Support kind of has its hands tied because they can only report to JT and not fix the problem themselves. Hence why a full analysis of what is wrong and a user reporting to JT will hopefully help with getting everything working for everyone, not just the small subset who knows how to use the Steam folder.

19. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

DTG / Steam support will not help for 3rd Party stuff - in this case stuff directly purchased from JT. And vice versa. All they tell you is to verify/reinstall. The biggest support you can get is still the forums, with some of us having experience with many issues and fixes.

I had this issue with the missing coaches, 202 MB ap file. DTG showed me a screen shot with unpacked folders and a 3kb .ap file, completely stripped off all content. So clearly they don't even know what's inside the packages they distribute. I managed to retrieve the Steam download by using a separate install. (All Steam support did was to verify that I was in possession of the Mk1Coach DLC)

I mentioned to DTG support that I had the Cornish Mainline from JT installed afterwards, which was reason enough for DTG to apologize for not being able to give me support on the coach issue because of 3rd party content. But the issue was already there before I had installed CML... anyway fixed it myself...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2022
  20. Cyclone

I have a link for this one when I get home later. I found a 3 kb AP file. I think it was SWEX or something like that.

21. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Thanks, I have the full correct 202 MB .ap file as SteamDB.info lists it. JT distributes the Mark1Coach pack in CML as unpacked files without a scenery folder that contains some nameboards which come with the Steam version of the Kyle line.
    What's inside the .ap file? Probably just a preload or it's just empty and the 3kb are only metadata.

Edit: Just checked, an empty .ap takes up only 22 bytes. Please let me know what is inside the ap so I can check if it's present in the big one. What a mess :D

22. Cyclone

Mark1CoachAssets is the interesting file here. I have run a backup of the existing JT folder (as Bristol-Exeter is already installed), so I'll have to run a peek to see what's in there.

upload_2022-4-17_22-31-23.png

23. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Ok, but can you show me what files are inside the tiny Mark1CoachAssets.ap? It seems like it's just some kind of placeholder.

This could be the reason for the problem I had. SWEX comes with the small Mark1CoachAssets.ap, Kyle Line with the 202 MB one. Having both on Steam makes reticking the separate app Product TwoHundredFiftyOne (500213) to not download anything. It does not know which file to install or thinks it is installed because SWEX is still ticked - That's why it only worked on an install without SWEX as I had figured out. Neither Steam nor DTG support could figure that out.

In case you missed my original thread
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/solved-just-trains-the-kyle-line-missing-coaches.53434/

24. Cyclone

Not until it finishes downloading. :D

And now that it has...and note, I already predicted this may be empty...I would bet a picnic basket that downloading SWER after getting a route with an identically named AP file will replace that bigger AP file with the one missing everything.

upload_2022-4-17_22-42-5.png

So let me explain it this way. RailVehicles is the only folder at the opening of the AP file, you dig to this. Digging into either folder to either branch gives absolutely no files. I'm not kidding.

upload_2022-4-17_22-42-45.png

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

THANKS!

No I know exactly what happened.

1. Installed Kyle Line (Steam) - Mark1CoachAssets.ap (202 MB) is installed, containing lots of coaches in different liveries

2. Years later I installed SWEX (Steam) - Mark1CoachAssets.ap (3 KB empty) overwrites this.

So I play SWEX, everythings alright (as the coaches are not used by its scenarios)

I fire up Kyle line and get the "Unable to load..." coaches error. I go "What the?"

I look into the folder and see this small .ap. I delete it, check SteamDB, leads me to 500213, untick it, retick it - nothing happens. So SWEX is the cause of that!

Thanks Cyclone again

26. Cyclone

And this is why, after the Union Workshop incident, I decided this research was overdue. :cool:

BTW, Cornish Main Line has the Mark 1 as well. Also replaced.

27. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I have informed DTG support to forward this information to JustTrains.

28. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Yes - but the Cornish Main Line is lacking the nameboards that come with the Kyle Line :D - so another different version!

So the thing I'm doing: Install JT stuff separately and see what files to overwrite and to merge with my main install.

What a fruitful hijacked thread :cool::D

29. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

30. Cyclone