PC Hsc Gevo Dynamic Brakes Overpowered

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by breblimator, Apr 13, 2022.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This feels very wrong... something like the hypothetical total value is used per loco or even per axis.

Going downhill with 5k tons behind, with no air, using just about 15% dynamics, 2% grade, no problem - say what?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they didn't implemented Sherman Hill's SD70ACe physic which by far is the best American locos in terms of physic and operational handling.

• Like Like x 2
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

100% agree

I expected SPG & SH mix but this is more about SPG & BR 187 mix

Still, I like the purchase but objectivly we have to think about this DLC as broken.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Who is that whizard in DTG responsible for SD70 seput? He has done a great job and I want that he teach Skyhook guys his new tricks. Also SPG AC4400CW should be sent to his care for some time.
    A suppose that he is very bussy with other problems, but please, if you can do a thing in graet way (SD70) don't go under that bar again (ES44). Maybe, there is some work hidden in the shade of very slow bugfix releases?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I don't know what happened to you. I had a 10kton train. Set the dynamic brake to max. At 20Mph I started to apply the autobrake, baled off , set the autobrake higher and so on and got a runaway train. used the emergency brakes and tried again, same thing. Runaway. Yes I set up banking comm and the DPU switch. I tried a third time but had to apply the emergency brakes again. NB I started using the dynamic brakes right a way at a very low speed.

Did I miss something? Or is this bugged? I will give it another try. At SHM I did not have problems going down with same train weight.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Is that at eastbound run? The one that got 2.4% ruling grade?

7. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

How many locos did you have?

I haven’t done many services but I noticed some of them seem to have a lot of power units for how much they weigh. I think that would contribute to how effective dynamic brakes are since they are powered by traction motors.

For example in this thread: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/hsc-intermodal-train-weights.53860/

All the intermodal trains in HSC are 74 cars but only 2653t. That’s 35t per car super light compared to intermodals on SPG and SMH which are around 76t per car. But the light HSC intermodals are powered by 4 GEVOs (2 front, 2 rear). So that’s 17,600hp or a whopping 6.6hp per ton. I am pretty sure that’s much higher than anything you’d ever see in real life (target for Altoona hill is apparently 1.5hp/t). My first service I tried was a intermodal from Altoona to Johnstown, and as you can imagine that train had no problem rocketing up the steep grade keeping the speed limit even without full throttle, and then down the other side (not as steep, 1% mostly) I only needed a few notches of dynamic with no air at all. Even notch 1 dynamic would slow it down if I left it too long so I would run notch 1 for a while then cut it, then put it back, and so on.

I am not a real engineer so I don’t know what is strictly realistic but the train and power setups in HSC seem to make it “easier” compared to the other big freight routes. That said I haven’t tried going down the steep direction yet.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Make sure the control is off in your trailing loco. I ran into this in a scenario where all the trailing locos had control on, so they are not really responding to your lead loco.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Thanks for your advice. I think we should report these issues. It is not very hard to correct them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

11. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

The issue seems to be with the intermodal train which have their weight set way too low, 2653 tons on all of them, so it's very easy to control them down the east slope, even when going down main 1 and the slide at Glitizen. On SH DTG uses a weight close to 8600 tons for their IM trains.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

When you divide train weight by number of cars on SMH and SPG they are both around 76-77t per car. HSC intermodals are only about 34t per car. If they bumped up the average car weight to similar numbers for HSC it would probably help a lot of the feel.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 3