Tōkaidō Shinkansen In The 1990's - Tokyo To Shin-osaka

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by [UK] Alien Baltan, Apr 14, 2022.

1. [UK] Alien Baltan

[UK] Alien Baltan Active Member

[​IMG]
    The first bullet train route, and one which forever changed high-speed rail across the globe.

I have a hunch this has probably got multiple suggestion threads for it, but for a twist, this route's set in the mid 1990's, at a time when the original 0 series was still going strong, and was joined by its younger running mates, the 100 and 300 series.

This route is famed for its beauty; running from the urban metropolis of Tokyo, through rolling hills and plains and alongside rivers, plus the iconic section of the line that runs right past Mount Fuji through Shizuoka Prefecture.

Rolling Stock
    0, 100 & 300 Series Shinkansen
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the majority of your time, you'll be running the 0, 100 and 300 Series trains. Of the three types, the original 0 Series had by far the longest lifespan, running on the line from its introduction in 1964 all the way up to 2000, though the type remained in service for a further eight years elsewhere on the Shinkansen network. The newer 100 and 300 Series were introduced to supplement the 0 Series in the 1980's and 1990's, respectively, and each have their own unique aesthetic about them - while my favourite of the three is the 0 Series, I have a particular soft spot for the 100 - it has the face of a jet airliner, with its long nose and windscreen that reminds me of a 737!

Bonus: 0 Series Test Train 'Doctor Yellow'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While the UK has the "Flying Banana" New Measurement Train, and France has the TGV Iris 320, Japan has its own lineage of track inspection units for its high speed lines, and quite fittingly use modified bullet trains to do so. At the time period this line will be set in, that role belonged to an 0 Series unit, which carried special equipment to gauge the condition of the tracks and ensure they were safe to run on at full speed. Quite fittingly, these trains quickly gained the nickname 'Doctor Yellow', which has become more or less official over the subsequent decades. It's said that seeing them in operation is a good omen, as their schedules generally aren't made available to the general public, thus making witnessing them in action down to a spot of good luck.

These units in particular ran on the line for even longer than their standard counterparts, only finally being withdrawn in 2005, 41 years after their introduction, with the arrival of the second of two new Doctor Yellows based on the much newer 700 Series - from 2000 to 2005 (when only one of the two newer units had been introduced) the two types had operated together.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  2. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

This one is probably a bit long as things stand - nice as it would be!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

Added to the master list.

• Like Like x 1
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This runs on SEHS St Pancras to Ebbsfleet lower level.
    Excellent idea and if and if this were to be made I would be playing this from Kyoto to Tokyo because I've seen my Mum's sister born in 1980 take the Shinkansen between the two cities frequently.

• Like Like x 1
  5. [UK] Alien Baltan

[UK] Alien Baltan Active Member

Very true - I guess if the route were to be pared down, it could probably go as far as somewhere around the midpoint from either direction.

6. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

I too would welcome this new route. However, would the game be able to handle the long distance of 552km?

7. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

As far as I know the game can (though it would need to be under 64GB) - but recreating 550km of Japan would be an issue for the team in terms of time and budget!

• Like Like x 1
  8. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

Another Tokaido shinkansen thread put forward the section from Shizuoka to Odawara (91km) to be featured. Which I agree is an ideal and achievable section. It features the most iconic and famous trainspotting spot in Japan, with the shinkansen passing in front of Mt. Fuji, all while travelling at high speed along a more winding path than the most of the line. There is multiple stops in that section and a variety of service patterns. The route also would have more variety than just A to B services as some trains terminate at Mishima Station because there is a depot there.

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/the-tōkaidō-shinkansen-line-from-shizuoka-to-odawara-view-to-mt-fuji.16167/

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Sharaf

Sharaf Member

Excellent suggestion my friend :) Hopefully they add this route to TWS2 soon

10. karan#5946

karan#5946 Well-Known Member

I really like those trains in Japan so I will say that yes we should add this train route to the game