Stop Using Ap Files

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Bradders, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Bradders

Bradders New Member

One thing that I'd like to see is DTG stop using AP Files. I don't understand why they're used at all or the point of them. They're annoying, completely unnecessary, they cause some scenarios to fail because of missing stock, despite already being there. And if we wanna do a reskin, we have to extract the file which takes up more place. The AP file should be dropped and revert all add-ons to the way before the AP File was created

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I am afraid I will have to disagree - IMHO, to not provide content in a compressed format for transmission would be ludicrous.

All the AP is is an archive format just like rar or zip. I have yet to have a scenario not find required stock if I have it on my system. I also appreciate the fact that the AP waste less space on my hardrive. For reskins -the fact you do have to extract the file and now the reskin and any sound modifications exist outside the AP means the reskin and sound mods are persistent and if you need to run a verification of files - that process will not require you to re-install your mods. So in my view the AP is an improvement over the old method of distribution.

If you want to expand all the APs on your system, RW-tools has an option to do it for you, or you could write a very basic BAT file to do the same.

Of course that is only my opinion, but it comes with over 6 years and 4500 hours of experience with the Railworks/Train Simulator franchise.

• Like Like x 5
  3. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Well I agreed with LeadCatcher because I had severe problem with my program of Train Simulator 2018. For the last two weeks I noticed that the Contents and Assets folder have ap files are empty in the main folder and it's a good thing that I still have ap files to extract the files to empty folders. I am not sure why is that happen to my program of TS 2018. Yes I did sent a support ticket via kayako.dovetailgames.com and got the message from them -- they don't know why is that happening with my program of TS 2018. It's a big pain to extract ap files but it's worth to have the ap files in the folder to replace the empty folders.

John

4. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

.ap files also help with game loading times on conventional hard drives. As .ap files are just one huge file instead of thousands of tiny files, hard drives store it on physical blocks which are close together. This in turn leads the hard drive's head to have to move around less (seeking) as it can basically continue reading. Tiny files are stored all over the place and thus need more seek operations to retrieve everything.

Regarding reskins:
    It is my understanding that files which are stored in the same folder as the .ap file (and respecting the folder hierarchy) are combined with the files in the .ap archive.

5. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I can vouch that mods do not need to be inserted into the .ap file to work. I've made multiple mods and just stuck them outside the .ap file without any problems.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's necessary to verify the game files. The Steam system checks that you have an *.ap file of the correct size in the correct folder and Ignores it. If it finds it missing it replaces it. Much simpler that downloading Hundreds of files for a route and asset.

I have NEVER had a scenario fail due to an *.ap file and I have had this game since 2013.
    If you decide to modify or delete an *.ap file that would cause a Scenario failure.
    When you install a reskin it sits in the same folder as the *.ap file and the game checks the external files first then the *.ap file.
    If you have installed a reskin but not copied the correct files from the *.ap file then the Reskin won't work.

Peter

7. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

Can we create .ap files from any program?

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Why do you want to create an AP File? It's basically a zipped archive like .zip or 7z.

9. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

So, if I was to replace a horn on a locomotive with a custom one, can I just copy and paste the proxyxml file into the .ap file?

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

NO.
    The .ap file is a Compressed File that Steam uses for File Verification if you change it the size changes and Steam will replace it.
    The game looks first for files Outside the .ap file and if it does not find them it looks inside the.ap file
    You just need to have the Horn sound in the correct folder with the same name as the default horn.

Find the .ap file of the loco you want and use 7Zip to open it and see where the horn should be.

Example - I have the DTG BRBluePack01 which has a number of locos including a Class 55 Deltic
    If I open the BRBluePack01Assets.ap file I find these folders \Audio\RailVehicles\Diesel\BRClass55\Exterior\Horn\
    Inside the Horn folder is T_55_Cab_HornLo.dav
    If I replace that DAV file with another file that has the same name it would play when the Class 55 Horn is used

First I would need to recreate the file structure in the BRBluePack01 folder
    Audio > RailVehicles > Diesel > BRClass55 > Exterior > Horn and place the replacement file there

Peter

11. budtheweiser

budtheweiser Active Member

I'm using AP Ehancement pack & Roling stock pack to run train services

12. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

If a scenario is failing due to it can't find stock when you have it, it's most likely because the author of said scenario has extracted that stock's .ap file incorrectly (I, for all my sins, did this years ago).

• Like Like x 2
  13. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Wrong kinda AP buddy. This thread's talking about the file type, not the developers.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

P749
    The .ap file is a Compressed File that Steam uses for File Verification
    Actually .ap files are zero compressed files so if the .ap is 1GB in size if you extract it the extracted files will be 1GB ie 2GB in total.
    It is actually DTG that uses them for file checking (during TS loading) and game file verification via steam. Checking 1 x .ap file is quicker than checking hundreds as it did in 2013! Unfortunately, verifying the game files is no faster as the .ap files are pretty large and take time to dl.

15. dudleybrooke

dudleybrooke Member

How about TS 2021 extracts the files after downloading, or gives the option. I prefer to play on Linux with Proton, and trying to extract all these files is a nuisance, or impossible. Other than that TS2021 plays quite well on Proton.

16. ceejay#9369

ceejay#9369 New Member

Yeah, I have seen this happen too. Or Reskins with no sound. The paths just need correcting. You need to check it with TS-Tools, and you can see that is what they have done. Or its an old version of a reskin that has been used, you either just replace it with a better version. Or sometimes, the "real thing" or an Armstrong Powerhouse EP, has been released since with that livery, and its better and cleaner to use that, so you replace it. (if you can)