1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stop Using Ap Files

Discussion in 'Content Suggestions & Proposals' started by Bradders, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Bradders

Bradders New Member

One thing that I'd like to see is DTG stop using AP Files. I don't understand why they're used at all or the point of them. They're annoying, completely unnecessary, they cause some scenarios to fail because of missing stock, despite already being there. And if we wanna do a reskin, we have to extract the file which takes up more place. The AP file should be dropped and revert all add-ons to the way before the AP File was created

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    • Downvote Downvote x 2
    • Upvote Upvote x 1
  2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I am afraid I will have to disagree - IMHO, to not provide content in a compressed format for transmission would be ludicrous.

All the AP is is an archive format just like rar or zip. I have yet to have a scenario not find required stock if I have it on my system. I also appreciate the fact that the AP waste less space on my hardrive. For reskins -the fact you do have to extract the file and now the reskin and any sound modifications exist outside the AP means the reskin and sound mods are persistent and if you need to run a verification of files - that process will not require you to re-install your mods. So in my view the AP is an improvement over the old method of distribution.

If you want to expand all the APs on your system, RW-tools has an option to do it for you, or you could write a very basic BAT file to do the same.

Of course that is only my opinion, but it comes with over 6 years and 4500 hours of experience with the Railworks/Train Simulator franchise.

• Upvote Upvote x 2
  3. jpmackay

jpmackay Member

Well I agreed with LeadCatcher because I had severe problem with my program of Train Simulator 2018. For the last two weeks I noticed that the Contents and Assets folder have ap files are empty in the main folder and it's a good thing that I still have ap files to extract the files to empty folders. I am not sure why is that happen to my program of TS 2018. Yes I did sent a support ticket via kayako.dovetailgames.com and got the message from them -- they don't know why is that happening with my program of TS 2018. It's a big pain to extract ap files but it's worth to have the ap files in the folder to replace the empty folders.

John

4. AlexNL

AlexNL Active Member

.ap files also help with game loading times on conventional hard drives. As .ap files are just one huge file instead of thousands of tiny files, hard drives store it on physical blocks which are close together. This in turn leads the hard drive's head to have to move around less (seeking) as it can basically continue reading. Tiny files are stored all over the place and thus need more seek operations to retrieve everything.

Regarding reskins:
    It is my understanding that files which are stored in the same folder as the .ap file (and respecting the folder hierarchy) are combined with the files in the .ap archive.

5. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I can vouch that mods do not need to be inserted into the .ap file to work. I've made multiple mods and just stuck them outside the .ap file without any problems.

6. 749006

749006 Active Member

Sometimes it's necessary to verify the game files. The Steam system checks that you have an *.ap file of the correct size in the correct folder and Ignores it. If it finds it missing it replaces it. Much simpler that downloading Hundreds of files for a route and asset.

I have NEVER had a scenario fail due to an *.ap file and I have had this game since 2013.
    If you decide to modify or delete an *.ap file that would cause a Scenario failure.
    When you install a reskin it sits in the same folder as the *.ap file and the game checks the external files first then the *.ap file.
    If you have installed a reskin but not copied the correct files from the *.ap file then the Reskin won't work.

Peter

7. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

Can we create .ap files from any program?

8. 749006

749006 Active Member

Why do you want to create an AP File? It's basically a zipped archive like .zip or 7z.