Train Sim World 2 - Spirit Of Steam Arriving Soon!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, May 10, 2022.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Looked love,ly and the amount of track… wow.

I do hope this gets one or two loco dlc fairly sharpish to breath not only fire, but life into countryside

• Like Like x 2
  2. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I must admit this was the first live stream I watched from start to finish in a fair while, The route looks phenomenonal, so much work and detail put in. The Locomotives and carriages are extraordinary and I'm glad to see space has been left for any future DLC's as well. I can't wait to buy this one.

• Like Like x 2
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Everything looks ultra good for me... except mentioned above. I am like Jon Snow so I know nothing about steam and the safety valve but I realy want to know what is DTG opinion about it & possible solution. BR o7

• Like Like x 1
  4. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

We're planning on doing a couple of tutorial videos for release to check out. Also, the tutorials are pretty comprehensive (and focus on other things than just 'look up, down, left and right').

• Like Like x 3
  5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I thought for the most part the route and stock look lovely, very well modelled and well detailed. Clearly a lot of effort has gone into the loco's and stock, the stations and the masses of track which characterised the railways in those days.

I was a bit perturbed about the very intrusive safety valves, I think they can be annoying in TS Classic sometimes but you can usually control them quite easily, I think they have the ability to get annoyingly jarring on this route, I hope a solution is found.

Save from the now oft mentioned catering vehicles, the lack of which I hope is addressed at some point, the stream did highlight the fact, for me at least, some extra DLC is needed in the future to really recreate the route as it was, or a close as realistically as possible. A local train DLC for stopping services I would say is a must, preferably not with mark 1 vehicles either, as such trains would have probably been non corridor Stanier stock if not older or ex mainline corridor stock cascaded down by the mark 1's. A shunter of some kind also I would say is required. Everything did look a bit too clean I would agree although for me it isn't a deal breaker.

It all looks positive so far and I will be purchasing as I want DTG to want to make more routes from this period.

I do think however if in a years time there has been no DLC for it and none on the horizon it will feel like this route will have become a damp squid and will probably become very uninteresting certainly from an enthusiasts point of view.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  6. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Great to see the engines in motion! The Jubilee is looking & sounding great! Shame some of the viaducts did not get shown off, too busy in the cab waffling on when they went over Vale Royal & Dutton viaducts, also got a few locations wrong such as Cheshire CLC line which was immediately after Hartford.

I loved the cows

Can't wait for the next one!

7. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

So I watched the stream again (without the annoyance of the chat, yes I know I can choose not to have the chat on but I like to be interactive lol ) Anyhow I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am really looking forward to the release and the task of driving one of the kettles. Couple of points that I noticed. One was passengers in the coaches appearing and suddenly disappearing as you zoomed either in or or out. And there was a fair amount of pop up (yes I know it was on console, Series X), I will be using PS5 and PS4. I also didn't notice any "whistle" boards along the route, is there supposed to be some?
    But Yeah that really isnt going to distract me from the enjoyment.

I think I can safely say with 15 and a half thousand views on the stream (really should have monetised it DTG :p ) it was a popular stream to watch. Obviously not everyone was impressed, well thats for them to deal with. I personally liked it and I particularly liked the movement of the loco and tender moving independently. Not sure whether I heard any trackjoint sounds but I will need to listen when I get it on release. Its going to be an interesting few weeks / months to say the least.

Could we see the odd 0-6-0 Jinty type loco shunting around there or on a couple of trip freights as DLC in the near future, who knows?, but it does look promising. As to the people who wants diesels on the route why, its a steam based route. If diesel / electric is your thing and not steam then well if you buy it you can use scenario creator to your little heart's content and put diesels all over it.
    I know I am going to have a go. when I have played the steam trains on it.

Hentis

• Like Like x 7
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

With those huge yards, it’s crying out for shunting action. You could lose yourself for days in there.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Gswales

Gswales Member

Fantastic Stream last night and was so enjoyable to see a preview of the Spirit of Steam for Train Sim World 2. Everything I saw looked great sounds and detail of the locomotive both inside and out for me looked perfect.

A lot of work and effort to get steam trains working right for the game and me myself the wait has been well worth while. I am happy that DTG has decided to give the manual firing extra time to get it right big thumbs up from me on that. I can see me getting stuck into this on release day

• Like Like x 1
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to seeing some community scenarios using either the Route or Steam locos or both.

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

The very last thing any of us want to see is a damp squid. They should at least be kept somewhere between moist and saturated. :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

I expected and followed yesterday's stream with great excitement. And yes, I'm excited!

Due to a lack of experience and knowledge, I can't understand many of the points of criticism mentioned and I have to see whether and what of them could reduce my sim fun.

However, it is long overdue for Steam to make its way into TSW. It is also a certain first for DTG to present a first steam route in TSW. I expect neither miracles nor exact reality and detail loyalty. The important thing is - it's a start and it looked very convincing to me! Either way, SoS will be a milestone and thus have a unique selling point. I'm already hoping for a lot more steam and, above all, more classic and historical stuff!

Since I'm still on the PS4, I hope it's playable at all and doesn't keep crashing like Dresden-Riesa/Chemnitz and LCM.

Still, I can't wait! :D:love::D

14. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

One thing that I want to bring up here, and something that was briefly mentioned in the stream last night, was about layering and where else could we see steam pop up on the existing UK routes we have at the moment. I've seen a few ideas for stuff like rail tours on the modern routes to finally getting steam hauled services on the West Somerset and I wanted to try and go through some of these ideas and see if they would be possible to implement them on TSW2.

Starting with steam rail tours services, although right now there are no plans to go and do this on the existing routes, I do feel like this is something that will be implement on any future modern UK route going forward. Like if we do get another UK route set in modern times (and if the route is appropriate for such a thing) then it's highly like that we will get a steam-hauled rail tour using the locos and Mk1 coaches from this route.

But when focusing on the current modern UK routes we have right now, I could only think of two right now that would actually feel appropriate to put a steam rail tour on it. The first is Great Western Express as that route in real life has seen several such tours over the years, including one hauled by a Jubilee last year. The other is actually a rail tour that straddles both Brighton Main Line and East Coastway, where in 2014, to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Seaford branch, a special steam-hauled rail tour ran from London, down to Seaford and then along the East Coastway. On Brighton Main Line, the rail tour would start at London Victoria and run down the main line to Wivelsfield before turning off towards Seaford. On East Coastway, it would do the following:
    • Start at Lewes and run down to Seaford
    • Have a diesel pull it back from Seaford to Brighton
    • Steam train then takes it all the way to Eastbourne
    • Diesel takes the train back out of the route and on towards Hastings and then on back to London.
    Apparently this tour was so popular that another was arranged for the following day, but started at Kensington (Olympia) instead of London Victoria, which would mean in game, the tour would join the route at Clapham Junction. But either way, this would actually be quite a fun rail tour to implement on these routes and especially in the case of East Coastway, be a far more interesting and complex rail tour than the one that is currently available right now for those who have NTP.

The other UK modern routes don't seem to offer much potential or don't seem to make much sense to put such a rail tour on it in the first place. Like, Bakerloo Line is an underground route, so steam can't even run on that route in the first place (unless you wanted one running down the WCML portion), I could find one that ran on North Kent/Chatham Main Line portion of Southeastern High Speed (or at least one that ran on there in recent years) and Cathcart Circle is too small to put such a steam tour on it, unless again, you wanted to put one on as AI at Glasgow Central.

But going away from rail tours and onto the West Somerset Railway, I feel like it's only a matter of time before that route finally get's a steam loco, but the question is, how do you get around to pulling this off? Do you use wants available with Liverpool-Crewe? Or do you make a whole steam pack for that route? I tend to lean towards the latter as the problem with the former is that the neither of the two locos are based or have ever been based on the WSR at any point during the railways life. That's not to say either loco have visited the railway, as the railway visited twice by an 8F (one in 1993 and another recently in 2016) and 3 of the 4 surviving Jubilees have been to the railway on rail tour duties, one in 2016 and two last year. But as it's was on a rail tour, they never ran beyond Bishops Lydeard as the tours they were running were taken over by a resident WSR loco for the leg up to Minehead.

So I feel like the best way to do this would be to make a separate West Somerset Steam Pack which comes with two resident WSR Steam locos (my preferred choice being the GWR Manor Class's and the West Somerset own mogul 9351 (covered from a Large Prairie Tank)) which contains a separate steam timetable that allows you to run those locos in service mode on that route. That way, at least it feels more authentic to have a steam experience on WSR that actually comes with what is actually based on that railway in real life. Plus, the two locos that do come with that pack can always be subbed with the locos from Liverpool-Crewe and whatever UK steam locos that just so happen to come after the release of LPC in just under 2 weeks time.

So it seems like there are some decent ideas to bring steam to other UK routes in TSW2, whether that be rail tours on existing routes using the Liverpool-Crewe content, or steam expansions for routes such as West Somerset. But I also have one more idea...

…but it's idea that is too good to share here, so I'm going to make a separate suggestion thread for that and leave you all with the ideas I have left right above you.

All I say on what I have in mind is... watch this space....

EDIT: I have made my suggestion, which you can find here. To give you a hint, it's for Northern Trans-Pennine, but it's not a railtour service, but rather something much grander and far more ambitious.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Gswales

Gswales Member

Already have a custom scenario in the making for West Somerset Railway just need to find time this week to test it for timings and passing of other services that I have put in. Obviously I am using a diesel train to fill in for the steamer until it is released

• Like Like x 2
  16. JealousSheep768

JealousSheep768 Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Matt Could you give any more details on how the timetable is pared down for gen 8. If it's not the volume of services, what is it? Still going to be an amazing route though!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Not got around to watching the stream yet as I too like someone posted earlier was keeping up with events behind the sofa with the Everton game.

I'm a little disappointed to hear about the number of services. I was wondering about other AI, will we see off map services like to/from Manchester, Scotland, Chester/Holyhead, Shrewsbury & Derby/Stoke?

18. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

So apparently they've left the services fairly realistic to allow to additions of dlc in the future so they can get the correct locos running the correct services. Which is why its a bit empty :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

IM just watching the stream again and there’s some beautiful looking area but also a lot of trackside detail looks like freshly mown grass. It seemed like there’s scenic sparsely in places, not sure if it’s to save fps or a console thing. British countryside. This wasn’t the whole route and it did look nice. I’d like to see with the radial blur fix.

I’m excited by this still and hope they hustle out some loco dlcs to fill that route out asap. I did notice when the game clock was at 11:20-23 the train passed under a gantry and it looked like steam sliced it in two

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

In addition to this, I thought it would be great if they did a sort of "Preservation Pack" for the Jubilees, which would feature all four of the preserved Jubilees, in their current liveries (so in addition to BR Green, 45593 Kolhapur would be in LMS Crimson Lake and 45690 Leander in BR Black with the earlier BR logo). In addition to this 45596 Bahamas could have it's double chimney. The pack could come with plenty of scenarios for modern British routes. I think I'll make a more detailed post on the Suggestions section.

• Like Like x 1
  21. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The stream was very nice. Although matt and jamie kept talking over each other constantly but you can tell they are extremely passionate about this project. Hopefully this comes out with as little to no problems as possible and that the people who do get it will enjoy it. Im not into steam and with the current problems going on with the rest if the game, I won't be buying this but hopefully it will be fun for those that do get it.

The scenery did look quite bare in some areas almost like it was a rivet style route but if that's how it was in the 1950s then it's fine

• Like Like x 1
  22. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Fair enough you're not a fan, but do you really have to keep making such statements, especially when it's not even related to the topic, starts to get a bit tiresome and repetitive I'm afraid. :|

• Like Like x 5
  23. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I've been seeing a few comments about "bare in some areas' which is worrying me a bit, I remember getting the Liv-Man route on TS1 and although they got St John's tower in Liverpool modelled, both cathedrals/church were missing which are major land marks! Please tell me they are modelled on this TSW2 version!

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  24. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Sorry you can’t take a bit of whimsy…

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

After watching thursdays stream on replay yesterday, I'm really impressed. The developrers hit the nail on the head with regard to steam locomotives. The sound, the fireman, the updated motion blur and most important: the well-recreated steam simulation with a smooth frame rate are absolutely convincing! Of course, getting it so good took a lot of work, testing and development from the entire team.
    The pulse of the times was also captured very well, among other things with the old advertising posters or the vintage cars.

Jamie's background knowledge was also impressive, next to JD's professional moderation and a very good driver. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  26. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I thought there were some scenery thigs done especially well: the churned, up, dirty ground in yards, and the blending of ballast with the surrounding vegetation. This may be the best route yet in terms of handling ground-level surfaces, even Clinchfield which is pretty darn good.

• Like Like x 2
  27. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

The pop-in/out of track sleepers was awful and not very far from the front/rear of the loco.

• Like Like x 1
  28. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

What the developers have put into this route, it’s appearance and game play, the value of this game exceeds £24.99, so am not at all surprised there is no pre-order discount. I would happily have paid £29.99 so a £5 discount gives it a fair price of £24.99

Thank you to everyone at DTG for a fantastic product.

• Like Like x 2
  29. solicitr

Console.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. fabienlimp95

fabienlimp95 Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly sure what stream you saw. The Fireman animations didn't work and it seems the Auto-Fireman also just fired the loco up to max. pressure all of the time so when you turned of the regulator, the safetyvalves almost immediately went into action, which means all you have to do basically is to control the regulator to drive the Train, which is far from the excitement I personally expect from driving a steam engine

The promised Wheelblur-fix wasn't in place at all.

I don't want to just moaning about what I did saw. The Models of the Locos, the coaches and wagons and the route with its massive yards looked absolutely great (expect the entrance of Limestreet which I think was way to dark (I know lighting is a general problem) and the padden of the walls was a bit close mashed) but okay that's not a deal breaker.

But I was looking forward to an absolute challenge to drive a steam train, where you constantly have to manage and fiddle around to keep it alive and it seems that this isn't the case at all. DTG should have not rushed it and should have taken its time to release it when it's completely finished, with the options of controlling all of the injectors etc.

Edit: I'm sure the Development Team will take our discussions into consideration and im looking forward to the next stream when we finally can see the 8f in action. And maybe there is a quick fix for the boiler pressure 'problem'.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  31. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

They are working on the manual firing. I hope the connect the update with releasing a loco dlc for this route.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

When I first saw there was "only" 135 activities I was a little bit disappointed but I've been spoiled with London Commuter, the scenery and sidings look amazing, I also learned that the road bridge at Runcorn wasn't built until a lot later lol. I'm glad room has been left for future DLC's and regardless of what happens on launch, the team who worked on it do deserve a round of applause and a well earned drink.

• Like Like x 2
  33. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Yep and for those who play on console it's not great.

• Like Like x 2
  34. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

I bet the smoke will drop significantly the fps and performance on last gen but I still have some hope it will run fine on current gen

35. JealousSheep768

JealousSheep768 Well-Known Member

Matt has replied to a thread about this saying while Crewe causes FPS drops. The smoke doesn't and you even get 40 FPS on some sections

• Like Like x 2
  36. solicitr

It never is.

• Like Like x 1
  37. hoagy

hoagy Member

Please yes! They must surely have done this route around this set time?

• Like Like x 1
  38. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I really really hope dtg doesn't ruin this feel good route effort by trying to shoehorn in the br 101 again.When what's really wanted is a steam shunting engine.Even if it's thomas or percy.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  39. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

Yes, the fireman looked so busy, he could have been a government worker!

• Like Like x 3
  40. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Well at least he wasn't standing on the roof of the loco or inside the firebox.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

Which part of "development build" and "fireman animations not in this build" did you not understand ?

Belittling the developers on the basis of an incomplete development build is nasty.

• Like Like x 5
  42. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

That was answered in the stream.

• Like Like x 3
  43. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Thomas was a LBSCR class E2 so would be even less realistic on the route than the class 101. A Jinty or class 08, 11 or 12 shunter is what would be required for the shunting duties.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...of course it has been said that the fireman isn't animated yet and that it will be fixed later. But all in all it was a convincing stream and the motion blur was activated. Just made a screenshot, because I like how the steam is looking. ;)

Spirit of Steam Screenshot.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  45. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

That's fine if DTG churned out new British DLC every few months but they don't. Last UK DLC we had from DTG was 8 months ago and with no UK route or loco on the roadmap at the moment it'll probably be at least Christmas until we another one. That's 14 months between non-steam routes!! If DTG only have the resources to make one UK route every 8 months they need to make sure it appeals to as wide an audience as possible. There was a good opportunity to layer in some diesels into Spirit of Steam but they've wasted it.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  46. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

But for the steam fans there has been nothing which necessarily appeals 100% to them since the start of TSW which was about five years ago so I see nothing wrong at all having a steam era route with just steam locos on it.
    So which diesels would be able to be layered in with the in game livery and equipment they already have then?

• Like Like x 4
  47. solicitr

Not just livery and equipment- other than the 08, none of the existing British diesels were in service in 1958, aside than the 101 which wasn't in the area. (In fact, across all of TSW only the F7 and V 60 (363) were in service then)

• Like Like x 2
  48. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Exactly the point I was trying to prove.

• Like Like x 2
  49. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

You both speak as if some divine power forced DTG to set the route in 1958. They could have easily set the route later when both steam and diesel were present on the line if they had wanted to. Or at least layered in the 08 for some shunting.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Well, they planned to do 1955 but the sources they had meant that 1958 was the easier year to model so they didn't necessarily have the freedom to choose the exact time period.

• Like Like x 2