Question Thread - Spirit Of Steam Preview (thurs 19th May, 19:00 Utc)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by DTG JD, May 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

I hope dtg can get around to talking through some of the main questions here like the safety valve etc as a lot of the other big things from the previous thread didn't get touched on at all which was a bit of a shame!

• Like Like x 1
  2. trencolin

trencolin New Member

Will we have any DLC for Spirit of Steam of British Locomotives like the Mallard or the Flying Scotsman later? FB_IMG_1648593557343.jpg FB_IMG_1645928773532.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. maxthum

maxthum Active Member

Just thinking about it, A3 4472 "Flying Scotsman" will turn 100 next year (centenary of the legendary loco) as it was built in Feb 1923. Considering DTG does have a licence with Railway Museum York... it is certainly possible.

4. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Those A1/A3's & A4's would be suitable for L.N.E.R territories, let's hope someday DTG or other 3rd party developer would develop ECML in the 30's-50's.

• Like Like x 2
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Problem with Flying Scotsman or any A3 (or A4) is that it has a relatively limited application - i.e. top link passenger services. The Jubilee might not have been the best choice for the forthcoming route but it could be seen on a range of services. Something like a B1 (which was effectively the LNER equivalent of the Black Five) would have more versatility. Just as a Hall class would be a better all round choice than a Castle or King for a GWR/BR(W) route.

• Like Like x 2
  6. prawnsonastick

prawnsonastick New Member

Will the guard carriage have an operational handbrake?

• Like Like x 1
  7. oakleymoss#1362

oakleymoss#1362 Well-Known Member

but do they have the license to use the LNER apple green livery.

8. oakleymoss#1362

by operational you mean able to stop the train or even slow it down? probably not due to the scripting of AI trains..

• Like Like x 1
  9. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

This is true, however I think I'd personally rather have a few services with the more iconic express locos than have more services with an all rounder. I'm still quite disappointed we got a Jubilee for this route, I'd have much preferred a Royal Scot or even a Princess Royal Pacific (to be fair this would never have made it as neither of the two preserved are currently operational) for this route, even if it meant sacrificing local services. I'd be up in arms if they did a period ECML route without an A4 or A3, or if a GWML route came without a Castle or King, unless of course the point of the route WAS that it was a local route. If you're gonna make an iconic express route I feel like you should have iconic express engines.

Of course this is just my opinion. And for what it's worth I don't think the Jubilee is a terrible compromise.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. oakleymoss#1362

We will have to wait if DTG announced any locomotive packs for Liverpool - Crewe. I would love to see such locomotives as the BR Standard 7s, Princess Royals, Ivatt Class 2 Tanks, Royal Scots and Standard 4 Tanks on Liverpool - Crewe or just generally in TSW2..

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I'd much rather have a B1 over an A3 or an A4 but that's because I'm a GEML lad and I want my local trains ;)

12. james64

I'd be more interested in a B17 for that route, especially if a few had the A4 style streamlining!

13. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I most certainly would not complain there either, lovely locos

14. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

Any hints for an American steam locomotives?

15. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

I’d like to see the turning the trains round operations and how you get the steam train unit ready for return journeys

16. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

What didn't you feel got answered? We tried to cover as much as we could, at least in top-level terms. Will add them to the list for tomorrow if so.

17. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

We need firm answers and timescales over the manual fireman, I was also concerned by the following comments by Matt in another thread.

Now as someone who hasnt purchased WCL solely because of the fictitious nature of the timetable I am deeply concerned that I am going to end up buying SoS only for it to be possibly ruined in the future by an update to the timetable running trains with incorrect locos or even worst mixed eras.

Combined with the lack of manual fireman, the route has gone from a probably purchase on release to being consigned to the same category as WCL as a never buy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OldVern

From the top of my head then...
    1. Where are the track sounds? Should be solid jointed track. Nothing in evidence from what I saw on the Jubilee stream including when the camera was panning the train or alongside the coaches so not potentially drowned out by the loco or safety valve.
    1a. On the subject of sounds has any effort at all been made to get reverb off bridges, cuttings and tunnels plus different run sound over bridges been made for this release?
    2. Lack of lineside fencing and very bare looking terrain almost gives this an early MSTS look in places. Are there plans to finish putting in this sort of detail?
    3. Current state of the AI fireman is unacceptable at release. It either needs to have the "intelligence" programmed in to the "AI" or there needs to be a toggle on/off to give the player some control over the situation.
    4. Outstanding physics issues, in particular the lack of a steam chest delay while it fills on opening the regulator.
    5. Should DTG consider delaying release until some or all of the above or any other issues picked up from the stream are fixed? Otherwise...
    5a. What assurance have we got following release this will not become just another "fire and forget" debacle added to the long list of DLC that never got properly fixed?

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  19. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

It feels like the Queen Jubilee weekend was a hard and fast "it must be released by this date",

I question if the change of day from Thursday to Tuesday was done to buy the team a couple of extra days build time for this release.

I also think the lack of a manual fireman is a direct result of the release deadline.

This is looking increasing like its another rushed released, despite DTG spending the last few months promising the community they werent going to rush this out and it would be ready when its ready.

• Like Like x 4
  20. james64

All I want to know is whether or not the issue with the safety valves will be fixed. Many people on here have complained and it'll drive players nuts with them turning on every time you coast. I'm shocked Matt ran around Lime Street for ten minutes at the end of the last stream without acknowledging it.

One other issue that I suppose is of less importance (and one no one else seems to care about) is the whistle. It sounds dreadful. I've heard Stanier hoots from Jubilees before and what's in the game simply isn't good enough. Something must have been wrong with the whistle the sounds were recorded from. Go to about 44 seconds in the video below to hear what it should sound like.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Completely agree with Redrev, the whole thing is quite worrying really, not only is this route precisely what Paul "envisaged" a few years ago but it seems to be hitting a pretty fixed deadline of end of May irrespective of whether it is feature complete. This would suggest that the whole company is little more than a toy and the people who actually understand the issues around making software are not being listened to at all. The only hope left is after this route is released that the itch will have been scratched and people may be left to their own initiatives going forwards.

Onto my questions:

Does the level of coal shown in the tender reduce as it gets used up? How possible is it to drive HUD-less given the new HUD elements? Are the points more forgiving for speeding given there is no speedometer present other than on the HUD?

• Like Like x 1
  22. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

1. I may be repeating others, but how long until we see manual firing in Spirit of Steam please? Weeks or Months will be be accurate enough.

2. Does the reverser position animate the valve gear?

Thank you. Cheers.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Bertil Persson

Bertil Persson Active Member

Just explain how a decent setting of throttle and reverser would be set in different situations to keep the pressure on a good level. A good subject in a tutorial. I see that the reverser is easier to handle than in Black Five addon in TSClassic using a controller.

• Like Like x 2
  24. PBrogaard

PBrogaard Active Member

Can we please have just 20 seconds during the stream where we see the valve gear or the 8F in profile close up and at the same time experience this with no talking, no HUD, no motion blur, no camera movement? Preferably starting from stationary and running slow a couple of yards.

SoS obviously must emphasise the look and feel of the locomotive. Please let us have a proper look at those features, which no other locos currently have, the valve gear in motion, steam effects and sounds, the big wheels and track joint sounds. Locomotive sway on the Jubilee was spot on.

On the note about listening to the sounds, if the safety blows while doing this, I will laugh in your general direction if you do not let us have 20 seconds more wihout it ;)

Other than that, I will have the same question as the rest of the community regarding fireman and proper steam engine simulation.
    I also second the question regarding 3D assets for wires, cables and other signalling infrastructure bits, asked earlier. Apologies if this was answered during last stream.

Looking forward to the stream, the best part of last Thursday's stream was no doubt the coasting and acceleration out of Crewe.

• Like Like x 3
  25. OldVern

I am actually beginning to wonder if this is really a good investment of my £24.99 and I wouldn't be better off just buying the Jubilee and 8F for TSC. Guess I'll make a final decision based on this week's stream and if the questions I raised are answered satisfactorily, or at all...

• Like Like x 1
  26. PBrogaard

PBrogaard Active Member

Long shot but will ask it here nevertheless. Will it be possible to interact with the parts of the locomotive - accessible of course - that need lubrication? We have the battery knife for diesels, R P G brake settings on freight cars, coupling locks and so on. Being able to interact when refuelling isn't that far from being able to add some oil to various points on the valve gear? I am not asking if this will be a fitters' simulator, but as a driver you take care of some oiling no doubt. Would definately add some immersion :)

(note this engine is not an 8F, I know)

27. Gswales

Gswales Member

Is it possible in planning scenarios for other routes that the 8f is avaliable in the list with coaches instead of goods waggons?

28. Dr. Viking

Dr. Viking Member

3. I for one, would like to see the semaphore animation.

Looking forward to tonight's stream. Even though I won't be able to watch it live (damn my early work hours). I'll just have to watch the vod later. But I probably won't rewatch it 9 times this time.

• Like Like x 1
  29. PAFC47760

PAFC47760 Member

Can the 8f be used on passenger or is it strictly freight only

30. OldVern

No reason why not, though probably doesn't have any steam heating apparatus fitted. They were certainly used as carriage pilots in some areas, notably Willesden to Euston.

Which reminds me from the previous stream, there was no evidence from the video clip that steam heat effects have been implemented on the coaching stock or if there's even a function on the Jubilee to switch on or off.

• Like Like x 1
  31. manu#1874

manu#1874 New Member

I want to watch the stream too but I am not United Kingdom

32. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

Streams start in the US at 3 pm eastern time

33. OldVern

With so many SoS threads kicking around getting a bit confusing where to post about what.

Anyhow can anyone who watched last night’s stream state if there was any evidence of the track sounds or whether this was mentioned at all during the commentary?

• Like Like x 1
  34. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

See here:

35. OldVern

Thanks Lamplight, that is most - well - not encouraging at all. This DLC has major issues and it seem still being frantically worked on yet they plan to release anyway! Really not convinced it will be a good investment of £25 at this stage, FSW all over again.

• Like Like x 1
  36. james64

Not at all surprised Matt completely downplayed the safety valves, parroting "it's not so bad once you get going". How he thinks it's acceptable is beyond me. I've never been interested in shunting, and last night's stream, combined with the safetys constantly screaming has done nothing to change my mind.

I'm still overall optimistic for this release. The lack of track joints is disappointing but I can live without it until a fix is brought out.

37. Bertil Persson

Bertil Persson Active Member

I would like a a whistle code instruction or manual.

38. PBrogaard

PBrogaard Active Member

I’m starting to think the summer period of no new releases/taking a step back approach is in fact going to be spent entirely on cleaning up the SoS threads ^^

• Like Like x 1
  39. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

A decent moderator would merge the threads.

• Like Like x 1
  40. lancpudn

lancpudn Active Member

Standard 4 tanks yes please, They would fit in really well :love: I had a misspent youth around Bolton Wigan branch lines goods yards in the 60's were the standard 4 tanks were aplenty, Great memories of those hard working engines.:love:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.