Exeter St David's To Paignton

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by seanpward, Jul 26, 2022.

1. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

(I am aware of tsw3 so this could possibly come at a later date)

This is a idea I have had since I had recently completed the route myself in real life.

Starting off at Exeter St David's.

Exeter St David's is a ideal place to start as it has a depot along side and it is a starting and finishing point for some routes. Exeter ST-D has 6 platforms. For this route, the trains don't usually venture into platforms 5 and 6 as they are usually for the high speed trains. The line splits at the western side of the station. Alot of trains to paignton usually reverse at Exeter St David's to go off on the split line to Exmouth. Alongside the station is a dmu depot currently for gwr's dmu's and sprinters (cl150, 158, 165/166). Some of these trains can form part of the Paignton service.

The next stations follow:

Exeter St Thomas.
    Starcross.
    Dawlish Warren.
    Dawlish.
    Teignmouth.
    Newton Abbot.
    Torre.
    Torquay.
    Paignton.

Running along the beautiful stretch of track between dawlish warren and teignmouth, it would be awsome to see this portrayed in game. You then arrive into newton abbot. This is where the mainline splits. There is opportunity, if the era us set right to have high speed trains running through from outside Exeter ST-D to newton abbot, then going off the map again. This adds a bit more of a realistic state to the route in general.

Then we move through Torre, Torquay and then onto Paignton. There are two platforms at Paignton. At the time of visiting, only one was in use. The reason this would be a good stopping point is that this is where most mainline trains stop. Further along at the end of the station is some sidings that the mainline units use if they are being taken out of service and not being used until later orln in the day. This would also be a good place to add a rail tour in. Whalst I was in Paignton, quite by accident, a rail tour with a steam engine had come out of these sidings whlith a class 47 on the rear. Along side Paignton is a heritage railway that runs alongside and further down to the west of Paignton. This could be a good place to add static locos and trains.

Loco Add ons:

I desperately want the class 158 in the game, like many. I recon with the addition of the dmu/sprinter depot would give this the perfect place to add this into the game. We already have the class 166 and the class 150 in game to it would be a randomizer that selects what trains go where.

Maybe a class 800/802 would be good but the part between Exeter and newton abbot I would expect wouldn't be substantial enough as it wouldn't take long to go from those two stations.

Alot of the locos on this route would be subbed in from other routes, leaving just the one loco and the route to be made.

I know this route is probbaly too large but it would make perfect sense as it has all the makings of a tsw2 route. As I have already mentioned, I am aware of tsw3 although I don't quite understand the need for it... So that could come on that.

I know that was alot to take in but please let me know what you think. :)

These photos came off of Google by screenshot. I dont have the time to take these on my own XD

Screenshot_20220726-214614.png Screenshot_20220726-214115.png Screenshot_20220726-214318.png Screenshot_20220726-214347.png Screenshot_20220726-214646.png

• Like Like x 8
  2. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd love to see this. Because so much could be brought in from GWE and others, maybe a Voyager or earlier XC train would be appropriate.

• Like Like x 2
  3. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

158s don't really run on the Rivera/Avocet services - the passenger churn is too high and the narrow doors mean they lose time.
    You'll find 158s on the Exeter Central to Barnstaple services, as most passengers are end to end.

• Like Like x 1
  4. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

I was thinking a voyager but this still runs between newton abbot and Exeter St D

5. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

I thought this as well as I couldn't find many photos of the 158 in Paignton but maybe having the line from Exeter to Barnstaple as a separate branch... I know this probbaly wouldn't happen as this would take way longer to complete and would require more time and effort, let alone the lag, but even if they moved on from their 1 HR basis and maybe made a bigger dlc that would cost like 2 or 3 more pounds (or wherever you are from), this would be a cool idea.

6. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I made my own suggestion for this a while back, and think it would make an amazing addition to the game, with layering oppertunities from GWE, and also a lot of room for DLC that would all be crowdpleasers! I am however convince that the route would greatly profit from also including the mainline from Newton Abbot to Plymouth.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Early 70’s when Westerns and Warships still dominated the WR internal services. Class 118, 119 and 120 DMU’s on the locals. However I would also settle for late 90’s/early 00’s when you had a good variety of more modern trains.

Of course the big cheese would be a Riviera style route set in the 50’s as the next steam offering including going through to Kingswear.

• Like Like x 2
  8. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

I was trying to choose either this route or the one between Cardiff and Southampton.(starting at Westbury)

9. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

This would be cool but I think the modern era would be better, but if they did add the part to kingswear, they could maybe add it as the heritage line so having two different lines effectively... I would imagine this would be rather difficult for a group to make but it would be a good baseplate