Are You Giving Up On Tsw2 Now?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Aug 13, 2022.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I was sat here yesterday and having ordered tsw3 I thought to myself, what’s the point in doing any more?
    With progress likely being reset to zero I’ve thought there’s no point now.

What are other peoples thoughts?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I have had the same thoughts at is the point why play anymore in TSW2 when everything carries over into TSW3 and your progress of everything will be reset to zero.

3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I did uninstall it the other night, but currently putting it back on. I want to test the theory someone postulated about the save game working better if you physically stop your train and use the E key to get up and go out on the platform, or climb down on the ballast then save. If that does indeed lead to things coming back better it strengthens the case for keeping the existing save mechanism in the game (your Honour). It’s also still unclear what exactly will transfer over in terms of Journey mode, it would be a shame to lose progress if your Journey history does come across.

• Like Like x 2
  4. shamanspark

shamanspark Member

Progress and achievements are important to me.
    Start from zero i would hate, thats why i am hoping for new Steam achievements, so i can do
    progress in 2 AND in 3

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Never bothered by progress as I switch around different platforms a lot. So still playing TSW2 though not as much due to a general boredom with video games and better things to do outdoors while the weather is nice.

• Like Like x 2
  6. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

I don't really care about progress so i will play TSW2 until 2.9.

7. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I dont see it really that black and white only. When i want to enjoy the sw1000, i also go back to tsw1.

Tsw is time consuming, means there is less time available than i want to spend in the sim. Thats why for me enjoying the experience matters in the end. If tees valley isnt available in tsw3, ill play it in tsw2.

8. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Have found myself doing less and less and give up on scenarios completely (what is the point when we are going to have to redo them) but still doing the odd service, but nothing like the volume I was prior to announcement.
    Roll on September

• Like Like x 1
  9. Progress and achievements have no relevance to me. Did a nice 465 sub from Vic to Gatwick then lovers walk earlier. I'll delete tsw2 when 3 goes live.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

i'll not be getting TSW3 for various reasons, and i have kind of given up on even playing TSW2 now... i was really hoping TSW3 would bring with it at least better raildriver stuff, like the ability to remap the buttons to our liking, and access al the working switches on the trains, or the holy grail, direct input / joystick support,

So i've stalled on my 'euro raildriver' build waiting for ways to actually use it in the game better than having half of it as a keyboard emulator.

i've decided to play a few others games for hte PS5 i've had for a while and never opened... halfway through watchdogs legion atm, and have farcry 6 to play next... and then i will get Stray and play through that before i think of coming back to the train sims.

• Like Like x 3
  11. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Since TSW3 doesn't yet offer anything I want that TSW2 does, I'll stick with TSW2 until the base game is on sale (I'm not paying for something I don't want simply to get the UK routes for free) or if some compelling DLC is released that is TSW3 exclusive (assuming the former base game is a reasonable price to be able to play it in the first place).

• Like Like x 6
  12. £40 seems fair to me, considering everytime one of the kids wants a ps or xbox game they are double that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

TSW 3 is offering revolutionary new features like dynamic weather, thunderstorms that were added to tsw 2 via a mod, sparks that were in IOW and new snow effects that totally didn't look terrible on the roadmap stream. It is totally worth starting from zero again, right?

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  14. gazz292

i've never spent more than £30 on any playstation game,

i specifically got the disc version of the PS5 as that enables me to buy the games much cheaper than the digital downloads go for.

But also, i don't find the need to have a game the second it's released.

But there's the problem with digital only games, when you've played it to death and are bored of it, you just forget about it and write the cost off,

At least with the disc version you can sell that to someone else who was able to wait a little while before buying the game.

• Like Like x 3
  15. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I'm not playing much at the moment, not because I'm tired with the game, but because it's too damned hot.
    Not worth frying the video card.
    As it is I'm sticking to the Mac which is silent. The PC currently sounds like a low flying aircraft :(

• Like Like x 2
  16. gazz292

I started TSW2 on my PS5 just now, and sure enough the fans went to full speed and stayed there... not just in the menu, but when driving along the line (i didn't think to stop the train and get out, and let it be driven away by AI to see if the fans would slow down... maybe next time i'll try that)

But the heat blasting out was not nice, and not welcome in this weather... i live 3 miles from the sea, so it's always cooler here than inland, but its still like 23 degrees C ambient right now, i could have used the heat from the PS5 to pop corn i bet (not sure i'll try that next time i fire up TSW2)

I exited TSW2, and started up watchdogs legion straight after... with the fans still running at full tilt to reduce the heat of the system,

About 3 minutes later the fans reduced in speed, and are now running at what i'd call normal speed when playing a game... be it watchdogs, hitman, red dead 2, dishonoured, thief etc,

I.e. i can not really hear them over the sounds of the game from the speakers,

When i got my PS5 at xmyth, first game i put on it was TSW2... and my GF commented that PS5's are damn loud, and no way she's get one as her PS4 is much quieter... but it was only loud due to the game being played it seems.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Blartthaniel42

Blartthaniel42 Well-Known Member

I preordered tsw3 the day after it was available on steam. But I’ll probably play tsw2 until launch. I originally got tsw2020 on Xbox, then tsw2 on Xbox, then finally tsw2 on pc. So I’m no stranger to redoing journeys and scenarios. (I know I’ve done both LIRR and Ruhr Sieg-Nord journeys to completion 3 times). It was mentioned in the q&a that they were working to see if progress can carry over. If does, that’s great. If not, the oh well. Besides, for me at least, it’s a lot more about enjoying and driving the trains than completion.

• Like Like x 1
  18. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

And this is why we need a save game feature (that works)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Same. I’ve deleted TSW 2 and my save game file. No point progressing with it any further IMO.

20. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

That's a good question. I have almost all the DLC for TSW2, but never completed any of them and just enjoy taking train A on route B, etc. But I recently started to complete each route, one by one, except timetable of course. With two routes completed now, and TSW3 on the horizon, I did indeed stop doing anything and wait and see.

21. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

22. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I'll keep playing it until I'm ready to buy TSW3, which will be 1) after the remaining pres. crew updates are released for TSW2 and that obnoxious derail bug is fixed for good; 2) any game-breaking TSW3 launch bugs are fixed; and 3) complete TSW2 DLC compatibility is assured in practice rather than in theory.

I like the new stuff enough to happily buy the Standard Pack (don't really care about steam) at full price if and when all of the above happens. Otherwise, there's still thousands of potential hours of fun in TSW2, so I could go without TSW3 entirely if necessary and still enjoy what I've got for a very long time.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

achievements and progress are important to me too
    but I rather start with all new achievements and no achievements from tsw2 at all

24. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Really hope they can find a way to keep my progress. I don't really want to start again for a third time.

• Like Like x 6
  25. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

As of now I got no intention of getting TSW3. After fixing what they promised with TSW2 they would seriously have to impress with TSW3 to me look seriously at it.

• Like Like x 7
  26. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t play for progress I play for the content, so nothing has changed for me. The only thing I do differently now since TSW3 was announced is spend longer on the forum.

I’ll be starting from zero on TSW3 anyway (it’ll be my fourth time) so no need to halt playing in TSW2. I’m going to make a written (or typed) list of what services I’ve done on London Commuter to avoid repetition as I have been aiming to play all of them eventually but that’s the only progress I’m interested in keeping.

I currently have progress in TSW2020 on PS4, progress in TSW2 on PS4, progress in TSW2 on PS5 (since Rush Hour), and I’ll start afresh for TSW3 on PS5, all starting at zero. I am actually at roughly the same level on TSW2 on PS5 after a year of play as I was on TSW2020 after one year of play in the build up to TSW2, so the amount I play has remained quite constant, at between 550 to 600 player levels per year. If progress had carried over from when I started in TSW2020 I’d be on about level 1600 by now I reckon. Not bad in three years, not that I’m counting.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

There's no reason I can see to keep playing TSW2 once all content transfers over to TSW3, other than on PS5 maybe until the DLC limit is fixed keeping a few routes available on TSW2 whilst up to the limit in 3. But I can't see myself bothering as the BR 401 and refreshed SEHS are going tol keep me occupied for long enough.

28. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I haven’t played TSW 2 properly in several months. Probably almost a year because of various bug issues across DLCs and routes, however, the main thing which threw me off was the awful, inconsistent lighting. Just dull, flat and washed out looking most of the time. Night runs were a straight write off which I probably don’t need to explain why.

Hopefully TSW 3 has fixed these issues but I won’t get my hopes up.

• Like Like x 6
  29. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Think I feel the same although I think they could of waited a bit longer to release TSW3 just for getting a few more fixes out for TSW2.

30. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

No, I'll still be playing TSW2, I don't plan to get TSW3 anytime soon. Basically for the same reasons as Calidore266 I mean some of the dlc routes I've got I've only completed the introduction and training sessions, I haven't even started on the service mode or scenarios so I've still got plenty of stuff to do. I'm certainly not bothered about the training centre or the new visual effects of TSW3 let alone the "new" routes. So in theory it will give DTG enough time to fix bugs etc or even release TSW4 next summer lol

• Like Like x 3
  31. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. I'm on the fence with TSW3 right now, and considering the issues I found with the GEVO on Cajon, and the other issues that came to light on Thursday's stream, that are unlikely to get fixed, TSW3 previews will really have to WOW me at this point to do a pre-order or day 1 purchase. Otherwise I'll wait and see what the feedback is in September and go from there.

I keep thinking about this kind of thing. I'm wondering what the experience in TSW3 will be like where we have the new routes with the new lighting and cloud system juxtaposed with the majority of content still using the old systems. Considering it takes 6-9 months to build DLC, it will take some time to build up a good TSW3 library of content using the new stuff. Will this end up being a deterrent to some people? I know for me, large changes/differences can make things unplayable; like I stopped with TSW1 as soon as TSW2 came out because the physics and UI/HUD changes were too just too much to comfortably switch between.

• Like Like x 1
  32. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

For me it is less meaningful to play now, since everything will be on TSW3 but with the added dynamic weather. However, I am 97% to the 10k mile achievement, and although I don't necessarily get all the achievements, since I'm so close I figure I'll probably try to get that one, kind of closing out TSW2.

I'm also thinking of not even "bringing over" some of my less-used DLCs, such as SPG. The thought process is, why introduce something into "quick play" that I would probably just skip over anyway? Maybe it's time for a little TSW house cleaning as well. Cheers

33. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

How do you all know that progress will be reset to zero? I though JD said they were looking into profile transfer?

34. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

I was enjoying SoS. I am captivated by another title right now, which has beautiful dynamic lighting; I haven't wanted to play anything else.

It's the platforms policy that DTG have to agree to. So I don't think you can count on any progress being transferred. Achievements definitely won't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

I preordered tsw3 the day after it was available on steam.i very like TSW3
    I’ve deleted TSW 2

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  36. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

But JD also said they cannot promise anything, so in my mind that means you will be starting all over again.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Forgetting progress, levels, achievements. Surely the single most important reason to keep playing is the mostly overall enjoyment and experience of just driving trains on TSW?

• Like Like x 3
  38. RizGE777

RizGE777 Member

In my opinion, it would have been better if DTG developed TSW 3 on the UE5 engine once they had the expertise, and continue fixing the issues with TSW 2, in the meantime.

This approach, would have made it worth upgrading to TSW 3 for me.

• Like Like x 5
  39. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

For me it is. It doesn't make sense to uninstall unless I really need the space and am not playing it. But I think the things you mention are added to allow other types of players to gain enjoyment.

Some are quite driven by achievements and sense of unlocking/progress so I understand why they would want to stop playing TSW2 now.

40. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

I guess I’ll start what stujoy is doing. I have completed some chapters in Journey Mode on few routes but there are some others that haven’t been touched yet. It’s really time consuming to redo them again, especially freight. The ones that I am in the middle of doing, I’m going to stop until I reach to the end of the chapter and start the next chapter on TSW 3.

• Like Like x 1
  41. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Of course, I totally understand that, and obviously I would hate to lose all my progress too - for instance, TSW 2 is my most played game. But, at the end of the day, we all play this game because we enjoying driving trains on TSW. Regardless, with TSW 3 coming shortly, I will still enjoy playing TSW 2 until then because I still gain enjoyment from the game.

• Like Like x 1
  42. heliq

heliq Active Member

In tsw 3, I probably won't even install DLC from TSW 2.
    What's the point if nothing changes there, played enough.

43. JBVector

JBVector New Member

I do not see TSW3 as a rip-off and I think the 3 routes alone make it completely worth it.... if you are interested in brand new routes. For me, it's less about the routes, and more about the graphics, which is why I was hoping they would add UE5 to the game. There just aren't enough new graphical features that I'm interested in atm. The 3d clouds and updated lighting system look excellent, but the difference is not big enough for me. Ray tracing would have been really cool to have in the game, and UE4.26 does support it, and again I was hoping something like that would be added. I have no doubt the TSW team worked hard to make TSW3, it's just that the features they decided to work on were not what I personally would have been interested in.

• Like Like x 3
  44. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I'm getting in as many achievements as I can. I'll be waiting and seeing how TSW3 turns out before deciding if I am getting it or if this is my stop and I'll be getting off.

• Like Like x 1
  45. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

No - I've got no interest in progress tracking or achievements. There's absolutely no way I'd have time to do them all anyway (I think I own around 75% of the available DLC).

So I'm going to keep playing TSW2 until TSW3, which I'm planning to buy at launch (mostly for the expanded SEHS but also because the German route will be interesting, and I really like all of the new features).

• Like Like x 1
  46. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I have already given up for now, but not because of progress and achievements, but because of bugs and other issues. I have been waiting for preservation crew updates for routes like Peninsula Corridor for like what, 2 years now? Honestly with all the issues the game is having, I'm not interested in it now.

If the new TSW3 routes are good quality and enjoyable, I might get them. But I'm not buying any new TSW content anymore until they are in a good state, as I'm tired of getting broken content that remains broken for years.

• Like Like x 2
  47. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Never cared about progress, levels and achievments. Never understood why i should, because it makes no difference at all. It's not like you learn some kind of skill or something. But that's probably, because I play TSW rather as a Sim and not as a game.

• Like Like x 2
  48. phil.elliott

phil.elliott Well-Known Member

I'm not bothered about achievements, but all those services I've ticked off in various routes... those I would REALLY want to transfer.
    For now, without knowing what's happening with transferring of completed services/progression, I have no motivation to play TSW2.
    I'm seriously hoping that even if it's a case of moving a save file or something over from TSW2 folder to TSW3, it can be possible...

• Like Like x 3
  49. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Achievements? This games has achievements? - Seriously, I do not understand this concept of “giving up” on a simulation or a game because a new title is being released. I still make runs in TSC and revisit scenarios I ran years ago because they were enjoyable. I even have FSX and FSW still installed and occasionally do a spin in my A2A cub in FSX or fire up FSW just because I can. I reinstalled the original Baldur’s Gate because I wanted to revisit the lore while playing Baldur’s Gate 3.

Since I own the software, I can enjoy it as I see fit. Will I run TSW2 as much as TSW3… that remains to be seen, but if all the routes migrate to the TSW3 engine as is, then probably not since I run scenarios or timetable runs for the enjoyment of driving the train. I have completed some collectibles, but that was more for the enjoyment of walking the route to see the impressive amount of detail placed even in areas few ever slow down enough to see.

My point is, this is entertainment, why so many people get wrapped around the axle and display such anger is beyond me.

• Like Like x 6
  50. phil.elliott

phil.elliott Well-Known Member

For me, I enjoy completing games, it brings an element of challenge and fun. So that's me "enjoy[ing] it as I see fit".
    So I completely agree with your point, although with you having made that point, I'm baffled why you can't understand why others enjoy in different ways and therefore have emotions about what they've already invested in the franchise (time and/or money).

• Like Like x 2