Calder Valley Line Manchester Victoria To Leeds Via Bradford Present Day: The Real Ntp

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by driverwoods#1787, Jul 24, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

86.3%
  2. On Sale

11.3%
  3. No

6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Hi, it’s Driverwoods 1787 and I present to you the Calder Valley Line Manchester Victoria to Leeds City via Bradford and Halifax set in 2021. For those that want a 1983 version of the route check finntd#7891 ‘s Suggestion of Calder Valley Line.

Contents
    • Map
    • Description
    • Rolling stock
      • DLC
      • Layered From Other Routes
    • Service Pattern
    • Pictures
    • Videos
    • Final Thoughts
    Map
    [​IMG]
    Description
    The Calder Valley Line runs for 49.75 between Manchester Victoria to Leeds City via Newton Heath Rochdale Littleborough Summit Tunnel Todmorden Halifax & Bradford. The Major Transpennine Tunnel on the route is the Summit Tunnel 1.613 miles (2.597 km) in length shorter by 1.42 miles than the NTP Standedge Tunnel 3 miles in length. Safety systems are AWS TPWS DSD like Brighton Main Line GWML Paddington Station SEHS CML and North Kent Line Sections. Rolling Stock is maintained in Newton Heath Depot Class 150,195 & 158 DMUs while Leeds Hollbeck Road has Class 170 DMUs and the train operating company is Northern Rail.
    Rolling Stock
    The standard for the route and also provide layers on future Northern Rail Routes. Note if made for TSW2 as originally planned Class 158 170 & 195 tutorial Level is Leeds to Low Moor or New Pudsey to Low Moor which will cover the reversal move at Bradford Interchange. If added to TSW 3 all tutorials take place at Training Centre including DLC trains mentioned below
    Class 158
    [​IMG]
    These are express sprinters and on CVL they run Halifax Leeds and Leeds to York services or do Chester to Leeds Services together with Class 195s. Fleet is maintained at Newton Heath TMD alongside class 150,156 & 195 DMUs used on Calder Valley Services.

Class 170
    [​IMG]
    operate the Halifax to Hull services via Leeds and is maintained at Holbeck Depot or Neville Hill Leeds. Built from 1998-2005. Can couple to Class 172 if used in Scenario Planner if an associated route with Class 172 is featured. The example being Birmingham Cross City line if made due to both having BSI Couplers.

Class 195
    [​IMG]
    The latest DMU found on the Northern Rail Fleet replaced Pacer DMUs which replaced NTP and TVL Class 101 DMUs in the mid to late 1980s due to their age issue and not able to meet the 2010 RVAR requirements. Built from 2017-2020 and fleet is based out of Newton Heath TMD familiar to NTP owners as to where Class 101 DMUs come out.
    DLC
    Can be purchased for this route and layer to other Northern Rail Routes. Tutorial is from Leeds to New Pudsey section or Manchester Victoria to Mills Hill.
    Class 150

[​IMG]
    Used by Northern Rail on local services along the Calder Valley Line including longer runs to Chester Blackpool. Shares the same depot as Class 195 Newton Heath. For Game purposes, the West Cornwall Class 150 made by rivet games can serve as the base model for CVL Class 150 in Northern Rail Paint. Built from 1984-1987. Can be sold as a bundle with Classes 155 & 156 as the CVL Sprinter Pack.
    Class 156
    [​IMG]
    Built by Metro-Cammell in the years 1987-1989. Comes as a two-car train comprising DMSL Driving Motor Standard Lavatory and DMS Driving Motor Standard with spaces for Disabled users and Bikes. The coupling system is a BSI type like Class 150 Sprinter DMU Pacers Class 141,142 & 144 Furthermore it can couple to the Class 170 family DMUs due to BSI Couplers.
    Class 155
    [​IMG]
    Built by Leyland National in the years 1987-1988 using some Leyland national bus components. As part of Super Sprinter DMU Programme to replace ageing 1st Generation DMUs like the Class 101 found on Huddersfield Line the NTP and TVL. Class 110 & 120 on Calder Valley Line the Summit Tunnel and Bradford Route to Manchester Victoria from Leeds City. It is composed of the same DSML and DSM as Class 156 made by Metro-Cammell. Shares Neville Hill TMD with Class 170.
    Layered From Other Routes
    Class 66

The standard TSW Freight Locomotives for ECW and GWML London Paddington Station will do freight services between Manchester Victoria and Leeds or Wakefield to Manchester Victoria by using the Sowerby Bridge Junction from the NTP Huddersfield-Dewsbury section if a modern NTP where to be made by DTG. If made for Train Sim World 3 then Class 66 is layered from SEHS Extended and RHTT in addition to East Coastway & GWML London Paddington to reading [​IMG]

Service Patterns
    On the Calder Valley Line Northern Rail Operates Leeds to Chester via Manchester Victoria Bradford and Hebden Bridge where the York/Leeds-Bradford-Blackpool Colne services split off from the Leeds to Chester Services. The Other two patterns are Leeds to Manchester Victoria via Bradford Interchange/Brighouse where they use NTP Huddersfield station as a reversal point and Halifax-Bradford-Leeds-York/Hull services. Service patterns are taken from current Northern Rail Schedules May 16th 2021-December 11 2021. Travel time from Leeds City to Manchester Victoria via Calder Valley Line Takes 1hr 16 min to 1hr 45 min. For Hebden Bridge to Leeds Trips, they take 48 minutes for trains that start at Blackpool & Colne. 2022 Timetable Northern Rail Website has those service patterns as Timetables N35-N37 Blackpool Calder Valley Line trips is Timetable N9
    Pictures
    [​IMG]
    Leeds City Station Terminus of the Calder Valley Line. Platforms 12-17 were built in 2002 as part of a building plan. These platforms will be missing in finntd#7891’s suggestion of 1983 CVL since that member is using NTP Huddersfield Line setup.
    [​IMG]
    Bradford Interchange a reversing station for Services to Blackpool Chester and Manchester Victoria via Halifax. Also served by Grand Central Trains to London King’s Cross St Pancras via ECML. 2nd major station CVL after Leeds City. Station was opened in the 1960s

[​IMG]

Summit Tunnel is the major tunnel on the route between Littleborough and Walsden Railway stations. Acts as the Calder Valley Line equivalent to the Standedge Tunnel. That tunnel is found on the Huddersfield Line present in TSW 2 & TSW 2020 as the Northern TransPennine. Was the site of the 1984 Summit Tunnel Fire to which a class 47 BR Blue Locomotive with TEA Wagons derailed at the tunnel as the cause of the fire.

[​IMG]

Halifax Station 3rd major Station after Bradford Interchange Leeds City and Western Terminus of the Calder Valley Line Manchester Victoria. Shown here is Platform 1 towards Leeds City via Bradford Interchange. Serves a junction of Calder Valley Line and NTP connection Huddersfield Bridgehouse.

[​IMG]

Manchester Victoria 4th major station in the CVL route after Bradford Interchange Halifax and Leeds City. Acts as the Western End of CVL and some CVL services continue onwards to Chester from Leeds. The picture here is the New Roof part of the Northern Hub Project. Platforms present on NTP were demolished to make way for Manchester Arena. Manchester Arena is on top platforms 5-6.

Videos
    Notes both Calder Valley Line Videos are from Don Coffey. The first one uses the Bradley Wood Junction to merge with the Huddersfield Line the Northern Transpennine Bradley Chord to the Huddersfield section.

2nd video is a Class 66 Freight service from Wakefield to Knowsley via Manchester Victoria.

3rd is from
    Transport Journeys around UK.

4th video is the 1984 Summit Tunnel Fire BBC News Report uploaded by LittleboroughLocal

Final Thoughts
    Calder Valley Line is a line that must be added into TSW 2 an alternative Diesel-powered Transpennine route which is Leeds to Manchester Victoria via Halifax and Bradford. This route features another part of West Yorkshire, the Calder Valley cities of Halifax and Leeds. Instead of straight-up the Pennines on the Huddersfield Standedge Tunnel Route present in-game as the 1983 Northern TransPennine Route. In terms of gameplay, this will transition from the Urban areas of Manchester Rochdale then the rural Calder valley and finally the West Yorkshire urban areas of Leeds Halifax and Bradford. Furthermore, West Cornwall owners are bored of playing Class 150 on Cornish Countryside then the Calder Valley Line can offer Class 150 DMU Cornwall players a route of varying landscapes. To conclude CVL will offer players the chance to play the Late 1980s-2020 Diesel Multiple Units ranging from Sprinters all the way to the Class 195 DMU including Class 170 Turbostar. Provided DTG gets the proper licences from Northern Rail and Train manufacturers like CAF for the Class 195. If bored of playing my 2021 era CVL then finntd#7891’s suggestion set in 1983 can offer a different playstyle without AWS TPWS and DSD train protection systems present in the 2021 CVL route. Another thing that Calder Valley Line offers is the ability to unlock class 150/2 WCL achievements since the game will treat the Calder Valley Line version and WCL version as a single train. An example is the 65 mph fastest pasty in the West this can be done from Manchester Victoria to Hebden Bridge using the improved Class 150/2. This is seen on Sand Patch Grade GP38-2 being counted for Horseshoe Curve GP38-2 SD40-2 for SHH Cane Creek and AC4400CW CSX paint being tracked for the UP Paint 500 miles. Additional benefit of the route if made is that provided you do not own the Midland main line the latest Skyhook games route you can still get achievements for the class 158 using this route since the game will treat it the same as that one. If chosen for TSW 4 as its base UK route Calder Valley Line in return Germany/Netherlands gets the Duisburg Utrecht route and US gets the Raritan Valley Line. Deluxe Edition owners ÖBB SFS Salzburg-Wien Westbahn. With the Advent of Preston Blackpool if the rumours are correct CVL will supply that route with diesels. If one has the Woodhead line Manchester Piccadilly to Glossop and Hadfield Calder Valley Line will supply diesel locomotives there.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 18
  2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I admit, I'd like to see this route come to TSW2 and even TS21.
    The thing that puzzles me about calling it the CVL though is that a lot of it (excluding the Manchester side) doesn't actually run through the Calder valley.
    Surely the real Calder valley line should run from Castleford and Normanton via Wakefield Kirkgate through to Mirfield and then up to Hebden Bridge etc. After all, that is the route the River Calder follows until it merges with the River Aire.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

I'd like to see this route and would also prefer it in more modern times.

The route also sees many railtours :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. driverwoods#1787

For Railtours you mean WSR TVL and NTP locomotives going on Calder Valley Line. My Suggestion is the 2021 version and if you're looking for 1983 then finntd#7891's version is for you. However DTG isn't going to add Class 195 with a face mask special livery. because it's going to mirror actual 2021. On the other hand they can add this special Class 195 with NHS Heroes painted on the side for CVL Dovetail Games abbreviation for Calder Valley Line.

5. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

I mean in real life, many railtours use this route in the modern day. So they can be represented in game.

• Like Like x 2
  6. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

Aye nice to see it up finally i did edit my side to say “if you want a modern variant see this one”

• Like Like x 2
  7. driverwoods#1787

That should solve the problem of mixing up 1983 with 2021 versions of NTP which has UK Standard safety systems like TVL SEHS Chatham Main Line Segment. For the first post, Mirfield is part of the NTP by feeding the Wakefield Kirkgate Line to the NTP at Mirfield then the Bridgehouse Junction to Join the CVL

8. Shawn Dalla-vecchia

Shawn Dalla-vecchia Member

Id like to see this route come with some TPE nova services

• Like Like x 1
  9. driverwoods#1787

Those TPE Novas use Northern Trans-Pennine route via Standege Tunnel & Huddersfield. Calder Valley Line is Northern Rail.

10. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

There were 13 TPE moves across the Calder Valley today...

• Like Like x 1
  11. driverwoods#1787

Ok then and for that DTG will need to do a modern NTP Pack to link the two routes at Brighouse Junction and Newton Heath

12. TicoXotaR

TicoXotaR New Member

Now I myself have proposed this route along with the Colne Valley and Ribble Valley Lines and I'm 100% on board with your proposal!

This route would be an Excellent edition for Train Enthusiasts from this part of the UK, It will provide many custom Scenarios for both Passenger, Freight and Charter Services!

Perhaps the Lines to Blackburn and Preston via Bolton could be added later as an additional DLC?? As well as the Ribble Valley Line!

I for one would love to Drive MJW's 150/0 Sprinter in the Northern livery!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  13. driverwoods#1787

OK, then and what is the difference from 150/0 to 150/2? 150/2 Calder Valley Line version will have better Physics than its west Cornwall Local version in the 1990s Regional Paint if this route were to be made. For the Blackpool, via Blackburn trips, they can separate from the Preston via Bolton and Manchester Victoria trips at Hebden Bridge.
    This is currently in game Creators Club for the West Cornwall Local. Can only be used for the Huddersfield Line services the NTP. CVL version can be used to compare the Cornwall version

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  14. TicoXotaR

TicoXotaR New Member

Oh sorry I thought you meant Train Simulator 2022 not Train Sim World 2.

15. driverwoods#1787

It's for Train Sim World 2 and it can merge with NTP Huddersfield Line if DTG wants it modernized. Meaning Newton Heath Depot access have Calder Valley Trains wait for NTP Huddersfield Standege Tunnel Trains to go then their turn

16. TicoXotaR

TicoXotaR New Member

Sounds Awesome!

17. lewisgcrossley

lewisgcrossley New Member

The 170 and 156 barely touch this line. I’d like to see them in the game but it would be unrealistic for me and would ruin it slightly. I have seen it done with the 170, but it is extremely rare, I think it was when they were making the 195’s and there was a shortage of stock (no pacers). The 156’s used to run before 158’s came in but that was many years ago. If it’s based on present day, then the 195’s run on the Leeds - Chester/Manchester and the York - Blackpool North routes. Then I think the extension to Brighouse and Huddersfield should be included, with the Bradford - Huddersfield route being operated by the 155. Although the 150 also operates this, it already exits on the game so you could just do it through scenario planner if you own WCL. This would give Dovetail the chance to include the 155. This could even be a DLC, with the 158 operating this part to start with if the player doesn’t buy the DLC, as Dovetail tend to include 2 passenger locos and 1 freight one - with an extra passenger loco being a DLC. The DLC could be any of the 3 to be honest. Then the 158 operates the Leeds to Wigan North Western route (starting at Brighouse on the game of course, if you are thinking about size and the fact that the rest of that line already exists on the game) and the Halifax to Hull service. I think that Leeds should be one end of the route, then Huddersfield being the next terminus. I think the route should finish at the other end at Manchester and Somewhere between Burnley and Blackburn. Chester could be possible if the size is okay or extending the Blackpool part to Preston or something like that. Or, you could extend the other end for the York and Hull services - York seems the best option for that (again depending on size) as the Hull service would finish for the player at Micklefield. This is if it normally stops there as some services tend not do but I don’t know which. So for the Leeds - Wigan service the player just operates it between Brighouse and Manchester Victoria. I don’t know if it would be right adding layers of the NTP route into Leeds and Huddersfield but I guess if they have you a choice to do so that would be good. So the more realistic player could turn them off and then the player who just wants to see more trains and is not bothered because it’s not a local line to them or whatever could have them on. This is all just my opinion obviously but it seems the most ‘Dovetail realistic’ based on how they usually make routes. Let me know what you think.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  18. driverwoods#1787

Let me see are you trying to join this to the Huddersfield Line the Northern Trans Pennine Route via the Sowerby Bridge connector from Calder Valley Line to NTP. By the way are you from Leeds Bradford Halifax area? You seem to know Northern Rail trains on the route. The reason to why I included a class 150/2 DLC train here is that it should have updated physics than the original Rivet Games version since the Cornwall Class 150/2 plays as a DMU with EMU physics. Instead of Class 150/2 156 155 DLC should I make it class 150/1 153 that can combine with Class 158.
    Here's the combined Class 158 153 set

This route ends at Manchester Victoria via Halifax and Bradford from Leeds City instead of Blackburn via Burnley. NTP Huddersfield Line owners get railtour trips here.

19. lewisgcrossley

lewisgcrossley New Member

I get you about the class 150, well the Blackpool service would have to terminate at Hebden Bridge if you didn’t go to Burnley. Yes I’ve seen that done with combing the different sets so it would be nice to do that because it could be a new feature to the new TSW3

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. driverwoods#1787

Thanks and for the Blackpool trips are they Combined with a Manchester Victoria Liverpool Train via Halifax Bradford or on their own? If combined the 158 156 155 split off with the 158 towards Manchester 156 155 to Blackpool at Hebden Bridge. for TSW 3 Class 156 158 155 spawns in at the Training Centre if this were to be made for TSW3

21. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

with TSW 3's announcement and the now giga long routes maybe this route with the Blackburn part could be possible.

22. driverwoods#1787

So you mean Calder Valley Line Manchester Victoria/Blackburn to Leeds City via Halifax Bradford. Fun Part is actually running a combined 158 The Blackburn Train to a 156 155 150/2 Improved version under dynamic weather runs TSW3. Since we have a training center one can compare Calder Valley Line 150/2 to West Cornwall 150/2 in TSW3.

23. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I don't think the 155s operate west of Leeds these days

24. driverwoods#1787

Which one of these Calder Valley Line trains run west of Leeds City 150/2 156 158 195 & 170? The reason why I had a Class 155 is that I wanted a different Sprinter DMU that is in Northern Rail fleet.

25. Yorkshirelad

Yorkshirelad Active Member

Class 170s don't run from Manchester through Halifax to Leeds, the 170s are used on the East Coast section of Northern rail

26. driverwoods#1787

27. Yorkshirelad

Yorkshirelad Active Member

195, 158 run on calder Valley route, occasionally a 150

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

I hope dtg sees this.

29. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for the answer and for 158 it can run with class 150 which is useful for Leeds City to Chester/Liverpool Lime Street services with Class 150 being the Leeds City to Blackpool via Preston. You are going to separate the two at Hebden Bridge so that the Class 150 can run to Blackpool via Preston and Burnley Class 158 to Manchester Victoria for Chester and Liverpool Lime Street

• Like Like x 1
  30. coolpgaming#7175

coolpgaming#7175 Member

would also possibly like to see an lner 225 as well tho

• Like Like x 1
  31. driverwoods#1787

That is not feasible on this route because it's operated by diesel trains like the 150 158 156 195

32. coolpgaming#7175

coolpgaming#7175 Member

my mistake i was thinking to forster square

33. driverwoods#1787

Calder Valley uses Bradford Interchange

• Like Like x 1
  34. sam#2862

sam#2862 Well-Known Member

good suggestion much more in depth than mine and I'm a local but one thing i must say is the 170 doesn't actually run on this line and the156/155 doesn't run on it often enough to be worth including

• Like Like x 1
  35. driverwoods#1787

Which train does Northern Run over the Calder Valley Line? I had to include classes 155-156 because in rare situations both Holbeck Road TMD and Newton Heath TMD Send them over the route. Furthermore I went with all Northern Rail DMU because I don't know which trains exactly run here

36. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Class 195, Class 150 and Class 158

37. driverwoods#1787

Thanks for telling me about that. For DLC which Sprinters is it a 156 155 or 153 suited here? I had to use all Northern Rail DMU fleet

• Like Like x 1
  38. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

I would say Class 155 after a bit of research, it's the only one that operated on the cvl

39. driverwoods#1787

Thanks and I have it here as a DLC train with the 156

• Like Like x 1
  40. sam#2862

I would say 195/1, 150/1 or /2 but they mainly run trains between cvl and ntp and the 158. the 170 only really does the Scarborough-Sheffield or York and the 155's only operate in the east too the 156 does come around here very rarely

• Like Like x 2
  41. driverwoods#1787

What would the DLC train be if 195/1 150/1 150/2 with properly implemented AP sounds? For me the 153 if Northern Rail had them

42. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

I would say 150/1

43. sam#2862

well we don't have 153's anymore I don't think I believe TFW has them all so probably 156 but I imagine that would release with a scotrail route or Cumbrian coastline

44. sam#2862

150/1 would come with the route they are talking about an addon dlc

45. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

nvm

46. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

The class 180 operates on the calder valley line a tiny so maybe the class 180

47. driverwoods#1787

Which section of the route then? I'm guessing Manchester Victoria to Sowerby Bridge Junction since it links Calder Valley Line with the Huddersfield Line known to the community as the Northern Trans Pennine Route NTP

48. sam#2862

get CVL and modern NTP merge them incl the lines imbetween e.g at brighouse and then make a dlc grand central route from bradford interchange to Doncaster and you get a small discount for owning CVL and or NTP you pay even less if you have both as you are only getting Ravensthorpe-doncaster and then use ECML for the rest

• Like Like x 1
  49. driverwoods#1787

Do You mean the Bundle Train Sim World 3 Manchester Victoria/London Road the original name for Manchester Piccadilly to Leeds City via Halifax for Calder Valley but NTP uses Huddersfield. Layers 1983 Huddersfield Line railtour on both Calder Valley and NTP 2022. Freight SEHS & RHTT

50. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

It usually does runs from Bradford interchange to London kings cross, on the cvl it stops at Low moor and Halifax. Also twice a day there is an ecs which goes from Bradford interchange to crofton depot. On this route you'll finish at holbeck depot

• Helpful Helpful x 1