Why This Mess With Start Options For 64-bit?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rogge, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Rogge

Rogge Member

I wonder why it requires so many steps to launch TS2019 64-bit by default? I do from now on never run the 32-bit version so i don´t really get why the end user has so little control over what version that is launched by default.
    1. If i let Steam create a shortcut on the Desktop only the 32-bit version launches.
    2. Since Steam cannot make a shortcut for either the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version i am forced to first launch Steam and then go to Games > View Games Library and then right click on Train Simulator and then click "Play Train Simulator 64-edition".
    3. Or, manually create a shortcut to RailWorks64.exe that is buried somewhere in the Steam folder and at the same time find out how to set the Launch Options.
    I except to have some kind of option, let´s say a screen that let me choose my default preference when i launch TS2019. Yes, i can rename the RailWorks64.exe to RailWorks.exe but it will be corrected when i run the Verify Integrity of Game Files.

What was the thinking behind this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. jdk2

jdk2 New Member

Right click the the shortcut, click on properties, change the target from ...steamapps\common\\RailWorks\RailWorks.exe to ...steamapps\common\Railworks\Railworks64.exe. Problem solved :)

3. Rogge

Rogge Member

Yes, thats a way to solve it, as a wrote earlier. :)

What i don´t get is why DTG promote TS2019 64-bit so hard totally but fails to make it easy to launch.

• Like Like x 1
  4. VION

VION Active Member

Probably because DTG let the choice between 32 and 64 bit for the players, and by first attempt to run in 32 bit mode.

5. Rogge

Rogge Member

I never got that option to choose on first launch. In the FAQ (or on a link) it stood that the dialog for 32-bit or 64-bit should pop up if i launched TS2019 from within Steam but since i just used the shortcut on the desktop it failed.

6. SD40Australia-Daniel

SD40Australia-Daniel Member

That is the thinking.

Start from within Steam and you get the choice. Easy.

SD40Australia

• Like Like x 1
  7. ez_aviator

ez_aviator New Member

I also had problems with getting the 64 bit version to start as my shortcut only has a web address in the start program option, and trying to start with the railworks64.exe on it's own would not work.
    Since yesterday I have discovered a new workaround.
    Rename your railworks.exe to railworks32.exe
    Copy railworks64.exe and rename the copy as railworks.exe.
    Every time I now start or restart train simulator it always starts the 64bit version.
    ...until Dovetail update the exe :)

• Like Like x 2