Upcoming Release Train Sim World 3 - Brand New Loco Bundle: Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG JD, Sep 27, 2022.

1. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

Following the Livestream tonight I am more impressed than I expected to be about the RHTT...

But the spray is near none existent and also not very loud (as in real life) - why? I'm making this judgement based upon being on an adjacent station platform when a RHTT has passed through. If DTG had made this more realistic it would have resolved my doubts from the previously presented screenshots (which I took on the basis of "Work In Progress").

However, there could be potential for other routes and motive power? Not only has the Class 66 been used on RHTT diagrams but also Class 20 and Class 37.

The video in the link shows the level of spray from an RHTT in operation

• Like Like x 1
  2. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Honestly after watching the stream tonight Ive gone from wanting this on day 1 to I wont be buying at full price and it would need a big sale in order for me to pick it up, if at all.

The F7 looks really good does look good and it adds different paths to CJP which I like but it would really need some passenger services to tempt to buy day 1.
    RHTT - if a modder could change to a GBRf liveried train I might be tempted to purchase.
    BR182 - The fact that this has updated physics actually turns me off this completely simply because the idea of driving this and then going back to the original 182 on HLL & RT would probably ruin my enjoyment of these routes, perhaps once I finish the journey mode on these routes it wont matter so much as Im guessing I would be able to driver the displok version on the services(?) But really if you update physics on one then you need to update them all. Plus what does it really add to the route? The only new services would be light locos if Im understanding this correctly?

One thing I did love was the mirror effects on the F7, hopefully this means that on future routes we'll get mirrors on platforms etc (and why wasnt the opportunity taken to add working mirrors to the 182?? That might have been enough to tempt me).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. djcwey

djcwey Well-Known Member

In TSW3 you've only got to look at the train selection page now and it can be confusing! 3 versions of the Class 66 - which is which: GWE, ECW and SEHS? And a similar number of versions of the DB BR185 (not sure if it's entirely a different version for each route)?

4. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Well I will be purchasing after tonight's stream. On the ps4 only as there isn't enough room on the PS5 for any more dlc. I had to take the 1938 stock off and wcl and ham lubeck just to get ECW and GWE in.

I do agree that the spray on the mpv should be more along with the sound.

Regards
    Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  5. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

In terms of the f7 doing passenger services, it would require the right passenger cars which requires dtg to fly to the us to get reference material which they couldn't so there won't be passenger runs until that ever happens

Probably since reflections on mirrors can be performance heavy unless they spend a lot of time optimizing the performance. I've seen games where reflections on mirrors cut the performance to half so it would need a lot of work to keep performance the same.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good point and for Class 68 it can be given Scotrail paint then run a Peak Cathcart Circle trip. Class 88 Cathcart Circle using both Electric and diesel mode. On BML ECW Diesel mode

7. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Correct and when it comes to Achievements these better count for Sherman Hill/Cane Creek versions even though they are in BNSF paint. The Sand Patch grade AC4400CW counts towards Cane Creek achievement 500 miles. BNSF version if made you need 5 runs to get the 500 miles needed.

8. redrev1917

I'm failing to see DTG logic when it comes to the F7.

We don't have any suitable era coaching stock to go behind it so we are going to use incorrect era Freight wagons instead. A rake of Amtrak coaches behind the F7 would have been just as wrong as the current set up but actually would have given a far better experience IMO.

• Like Like x 9
  9. Suomen surkein junakuski

Suomen surkein junakuski Well-Known Member

Does anyone know whether the Dispolok 182 will substitute on any other German routes? As it can go 200km/h, I think it would be interesting to have it substituting in some IC and DB Regio services. It's a leasing loco after all.

10. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

it will sub on every route but as an freight loco not an IC loco

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

For that matter it seems odd that for the US they apparently picked the F7 for the sake of variety. Yet for the UK and Germany they pick stock which is pretty much the same old stuff we're used to. Ok, fair enough for German, there really isn't a large variety of old stock to pick from. But the UK has tons, could've picked the Class 20 or 37 easily. Hell, they wouldn't be completely out of place either, there are (or at least were till recently) 20's & 37's which are used for rail treatment.

I don't get why with the US they felt the need to go exotic with their loco choice, but are perfectly fine with more era appropriate choices for the UK & Germany.

• Like Like x 3
  12. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

FYI - live stream preview is here:

Feat. Matt having fun with German safety systems, Scenario Planner options, and all the locos in the pack.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Especially since this pack is supposed to cater to new players, but if those new players are possibly hardcore railfans, them looking at the F7 may end up turning them away.

Of course, the casual player probably wont care, but they may not be as long invested as the harder core playerbase.

• Like Like x 5
  14. fabienlimp95

fabienlimp95 Well-Known Member

I looked forward to this dlc and watching yesterday's stream it's even a bigger letdown than I did expect. From a German players perspective, paying money just for a livery isn't really attractive, especially for players that already own the 182. Not even the sound was touched, a long known critic of this loco. Some other tweaks were done which is good, but in a whole it feels a bit half hearted.

Same goes for the F7, yeah it's one super iconic Livery and the livery itself looked absolutely gorgeous , but reading what the american players saying about it I'm not sure it'll be popular there as well.

What i think is a pretty good offer is the British side of the Pack imo. You get new wagons wich are not just normal freight wagons, you get some infrastructure type of wagons. Nice.
    That may be my biggest critic point of this pack: the value differs a lot between the single parts of it.

So for me it's a not buy. That's of course my personal opinion, if you like it good :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Not for me for reasons already mentioned. A « real » loco bundle pack with as yet unseen classes would have been a much better proposition. As a company DTG are seemingly doing very well financially, yet once again they give us recycled models à la Diesel Legends. SoS is crying out for additional loco classes and stock. The RHTT is the interesting exception in the pack but would have been far more interesting with tractors or choppers. As it is the audio and spray effects let this one down, sadly.

• Like Like x 3
  16. darrentee01

darrentee01 Member

The F7 in Santa Fe livery is nice but it's crying out for the rake of passenger coaches and a daily rail tour on canjon pass ,reskin is a bit of a cash grab ,sorry..

• Like Like x 1
  17. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

This bundle -frankly speaking-, is only worth it, for the Santa Fe F7!
    Which fortunately you can bought separately.

The RHTT, is is something different, so could be OK.

The main issue here is the BR 182 in the simple colors of Dispolok, with very small logos.
    At least if a new German freight car be added - like it happened with the DB BR 363 for Ruhr-Sieg Nord route -, it will have more sense.

• Like Like x 2
  18. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

I love the F-unit and was hoping that they'd expand on the work of the F7 from Clinchfield and bring in new variants/routes with it... but yeah for me personally the idea of taking the vintage loco and plopping it on a modern route pulling modern freight trains is not super appealing. I'm sure there are people out there that will like it anyway but it wouldn't have been my first choice. I think there are players out there who don't so much care about period accuracy in the game and think of it more of like a fantasy sandbox or a virtual model railroad where its fun to have any loco combined with whatever rolling stock and route not worrying about any kind of real world accuracy. That is ok, it is a video game at the end of the day, but just not my cup of tea.

I really hope in the future they do another NA 60s-70s route that uses the F unit in an accurate time period like CRR, but lets you get it up to some speeds and runs we don't really see in on that route. More of a mainline setting. Even something like what they did with Island Line 2022, take Horseshoe Curve and give it a facelift/adjust the scenery to 60s-70s as a PRR or Penn Central route. F units were in main line service from the 40s to like the 90s in some places so there's lots of options. Also I hope for any future vintage NA stuff they put some work into giving it a "feel" of the era... that's something they did well on SoS and the 80s British stuff like TVL and NTP... but CRR to me doesn't have anything that makes it "feel" like the 70s outside of the car traffic on the roads being mostly older looking vehicles.

The RHTT is what I am most interested in with this DLC... it has a new feature to the game (we've never had maintenance trains before) and its realistic/fits the route. That makes it worth it to me even if it is a re-used loco with small changes.

19. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It's just screen-space reflections like the game has always had and utilised, nothing new.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

It's pretty simple really.

A: How do we sell our new game TSW3 to new customers?
    B: Put a warbonnet F7 in it. Everybody knows them.

Having said that, don't think I'll be able to resist the ATSF F7, despite how unprototypical its implementation is.

21. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

”Brand new loco bundle”, which contains actually 3 repaints of already existing locos…

• Like Like x 7
  22. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

If you had watched the stream last night you would have seen that the 66 and the F7 are different models than the Clinchfield and SEHS Class 66. So no they are not just reskins.

• Like Like x 2
  23. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I’m in on this. I do hope they have added a gauge light dimmer to the 182. Driving HUDless at night in the current 182 can be difficult because the gauges are too bright to read.

I also hope they kept the double click on the throttle train length counter function.

• Like Like x 1
  24. redrev1917

That depends on your definition of a new loco tbh if a new head light or a remote control added to the console constitutes a new loco to you then fair enough, but for me it's the same loco just with some bells and whistles.

And if the 182 has had its physics redone then all that says to me is that they think the original one is naff,so it should be corrected, consigned to the bargain bin or removed from sale. Anything else just tells me DTG are happy selling substandard DLC.

• Like Like x 6
  25. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

For some odd reason I find this to be a deal-breaker for buying this on release. I really like the idea of my train collection all sitting around a yard. I thought that was a major selling point for the Training Center. Scenario Planner is so limited and difficult to use that it's not a good substitute for me.

It seems like such a small issue, but it's important for me, so I guess I won't buy it.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

It's not a deal-breaker for me but i do think it's kinda disappointing. I thought it would randomly populate the training center each time you load it up.

• Like Like x 1
  27. dosto762

dosto762 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a cash grab to me, Although the last Expansion Pack was worse (it bought nothing new). I only bought that because of the extended SKA timetable. This does not come with any extra additions.

• Like Like x 5
  28. Blacknred81

Shh, you can't say those 2 words...

• Like Like x 4
  29. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Saying the word cash grab will trigger the fanboys. (Even though it is a cash grab)

The stream left me unimpressed and it seems they just did a half baked job. The effect of water spray coming out of the RHTT is just not realistic. It would be a larger effect in reality similar to what we see when passing through snow. The 182 and F7 just have minor changes but are ultimately the same trains we have seen before

• Like Like x 5
  30. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Reading the further feedback, glad I spent my money on TSC instead (and at least some of that will go back to a third party, too).

• Like Like x 3
  31. danielemerson78

danielemerson78 Member

I dont understand this 'cash grab' theory...if you don't want it don't buy it...I'm excited for the RHTT train..that could be quite cool..and let's be honest.. £12 is hardly a fortune..I bet you lads spend more then that a day on vapes and cans of monster

• Like Like x 3
  32. tallboy7648

I don't vape. Im not trying to kill my lungs nor do I drink monster.

People can call it a cash grab all they like

• Like Like x 6
  33. Blacknred81

More work could of went into this pack to make it better, but it seems some corners were cut for reasons. There were formations for the ATSF F7s with boxcars that were found on TSW3s release, they obviously didn't make the cut. Seems like instead of take the time to make this DLC decent to everyone, they instead made it a quick release for new players.
    Screenshot_20220930-152739_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  34. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

You can call it whatever you wish, including a " cash grab ". But the more that phrase is used, the more predictable and cliched it becomes. Eventually, it's just a banality that people ignore.

Even a casual reading of my posts will tell you that I can hardly be called a " fanboy ", another bromide that tends to put me to sleep.

I'll bet my shiny new boots that this little pack will sell a bundle. And that's all the justification that DTG or any developer needs.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  35. tallboy7648

In your opinion because there are some that don't see it that way.

• Like Like x 5
  36. Crosstie

upload_2022-9-30_18-19-14.png
    ( posted by Blacknred81 )

Goodness me! A commercial company selling a product for profit!

Whatever will they think of next?

Deary me, what's the free world coming to?

• Like Like x 6
  37. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I had a lovely time taking my fake Amtrak over the pass. Wrong locos and wrong coaches but it’s great fun.

The F7 with coaches would be a dream.

If not could we at least get a passenger train path for scenario planner?

509CFA55-001D-41C8-A0E8-763D37156F26.jpeg B831196D-02F5-492A-A055-F5026A70B204.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  38. Blacknred81

They need to fix the pathing for scenario planner on Cajon Pass 1st, since every train in each direction uses Track 3 on the Pass.

Also, your train isn't THAT unrealistic, the Desert Wind did end up with some Amfleets back in the day.
    Desert Winds meet at Lugo, California, February 1981.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  39. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Aw nice - thanks for sharing the pic

• Like Like x 1
  40. Crosstie

Looks good!

What would be really neat is a '50's heritage passenger consist, something like the " Broadway Limited " in TSC's HSC. UP and BNSF ( ATSF ) have them, I've seen them running out West, most recently a UP train across Nebraska/Wyoming. Such a consist would look perfect on Cahon Pass.

• Like Like x 2
  41. Blacknred81

Those are OCS trains, or Office Car Specials. Usually each class 1 retains a handful of passenger coaches, so that the executives and higher ups can travel around their system.
    e59617381920d63c5fbfdca001d2a58b.jpg img_tr_jb_4_l.jpg

BNSF also has their track inspection train, which has a special modified gallery car which also tours the system.
    rt-geo_car_inspection-desert_bend_2-story.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  42. Crosstie

Interesting, thanks for sharing the pics.

The second shot does look like the rake I saw not too long ago, but I think it had an older loco up at the head end, like an FP series, maybe? And it might have been paired with a Gevo.

43. tallboy7648

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/cash_grab#:~:text=cash grab (plural cash grabs,the purpose of generating revenue.

There are actually 5 definitions. The 3rd definition applies to this dlc.

"An activity engaged in with the intention of making money quickly"

This product was definitely a quick way to make a buck since not much was changed with the trains and with there not being too many services

• Like Like x 2
  44. Blacknred81

Union Pacifc used to have their E-Units, as well as 6936 pull some of these, but they've since stopped doing it, I have no clue what's with the UP E-units, but they are currently not assigned to OCS duty and are just sitting in Cheyenne.
    7be05b257632df1ae3df9c9f070ec805.jpg up_6936_t68.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  45. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I will say this about the live stream and the features the pack has to offer.

“Look at this special light the F7 has” followed by a light effect that nobody can see
    “Look at this RHTT spraying its special fluid” followed by a spray effect that nobody can see
    “Look how fast this 182 goes” followed by a slow 182 because a secret setup needs to be done first and wasn’t.

In order to sell these packs that aren’t really stacked with the content many train enthusiasts like, more of an effort is required to make sure the limited special features they do contain are good enough to possibly sell them to them anyway, and if those can’t be seen in the promotional stream then those players will not be persuaded. It also puts off players who looked at the content and thought about buying it but saw a poor experience there on the screen and change their minds.

Anyone seeing the content in action will see that it isn’t an example of that dictionary definition in a post above because if it was it would be better. Making a poor product is not conducive to making a big profit. Consider the CG theory totally debunked. DTG have made both sides of that argument for this pack unite together in their opinion that it isn’t really good enough.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Crosstie

upload_2022-9-30_19-3-43.png
    ( posted by Blacknred81 )

Majestic!

• Like Like x 2
  47. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Honestly it really feels like with these rolling stock packs like this and GWR Legends that they make them without thinking about what their target audience is or wants. On the one hand they claim their meant to get beginners into the sim by offering exciting content for cheap. But then they make decisions that frankly don't make a ton of sense if that were the case.

With GWR Legends they wanted it as a easy way to grab 80's era content for new players. They aren't targeting those old players because there's no new locos or stock in the pack to try and appeal to them. Yet they then go in and add services which require the other 80's pack, which is something you'd only expect of a older player, who you aren't expecting to buy this pack.

With this new pack the F7 definitely isn't aiming for the core, it's a very unrealistic implementation of it no matter how you put it. On the other hand the rail treatment train as a train nut I find neat, but I'd question its appeal to newcomers. It's using only a slightly modified 66, which considering it's already included on SEHS makes it a hard sell to new players. And as neat as the cars are it's not like you'd really see them, you're spending most of the time in the cab. Really I fail see how it's different from how you'd drive any freight service on the route. Only the bigger TSW fans I think would truly appreciate something like that, not the new crowd they're apparently targeting.

• Like Like x 5
  48. Crosstie

The only way to know if you're right is to see the sales figures for both packs, which we'll never have, I guess.

49. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Well we do know that at least in terms of popularity Clinchfield was one of the least popular TSW2 addons. Sherman Hill had already surpassed it when DTG showed the rankings, and it had only just released, where as Clinchfield had several months to gain popularity. That's not sales data per say, but I highly doubt that you'd see some poor selling route end up being one of the most played routes, or vise versa.

Also I don't need sales to know that some of these decisions are contradictory. Why bundle the borderline fictional implementation of the F7 of the more sensible 66 & 182? There's a lot of diesels that could've been included which would work a lot more with Cajon. Conversely if we think the F7 isn't a bad idea why not go even wilder for the German and UK side of things? Why not rework the TGV and add it to the one of the routes? It's easily just as iconic as the ATSF F7, I'd argue probably moreso! Or how about making a fictional what if timetable for SEHS with the stock from Spirit of Steam! Imagine how much fun a casual player could have blasting down the line at 100+ miles an hour!

You see what I mean? Either care about realism and make the whole lot of content plausible. Or just make a pack for casuals who want dumb fun and just come up with some completely wild combinations.

• Like Like x 3
  50. Blacknred81

I wonder why that would be? Lots of players, as least from what I've seen would prefer older US content to modern stuff. People seem to like the F7 with Clinchfield due to how different it was. Maybe because the Clinchfield Railroad isn't a well known fallen flag? Most people know about the Union Pacific, and to an extent, Sherman Hill. Or maybe some nostalgia for SH from TSC?