Unreal Suggest Dlss Can Be Added To A Game In Less Than A Day

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Oct 15, 2022.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  2. Interesting. I read that Cyberpunk 2077 running max settings at 4k rt on was around 40fps on the new 4090 with dlss 3.0 it was around 160 fps.

Seeing as dlss 3.0 is now available for older rtx cards it would add a big performance boost to a lot of pc owners.

Why dtg continue to ignore any mention of dlss is beyond me. Is it a no news is good news approach.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. chieflongshin

This is what is a bit frustrating. It’s the ostrich approach we seem to see. I’d like to,use DLSS to,have the game on ultra and let the technology work it out.

4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Presumably, they don't want to give PC/Nvidia owners an advantage over the other platforms, which doesn't make much sense when the PC settings menu is already more comprehensive than that for consoles.

5. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

Game rendering bottlenecks coming from baked lightning, DLCs with a different level of attention given to lighting in general, the shadow rendering that was discussed in a different thread recently, all these can be the reason why DLSS is not and can not be a thing in this title.

Maybe the lack of DLSS proves or confirms that the core lighting is messed up and it would be impossible for AI to predict correctly the frames in order to benefit from this technology.

On the other hand, DLSS is known to bring blurry images depending on the setting. It´s subjective if it does a better job than AA technologies out there, plus many people play this game with motion blur on for the speed sensation in which case DLSS side effects would be negated.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. zhexuan_li

zhexuan_li New Member

DLSS is only available for Nvidia RTX series. Version 3 contains Optical Multi Frame Generation which boosts the performance by inserting frames generated by AI. As far as I know this feature will be RTX40xx exclusively. Don't expect too much.

7. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

change RTX 4090

8. chieflongshin

fanta1682002 anything more interesting to add to the forum than your graphics card history or wishlist.

upload_2022-10-16_11-38-15.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  9. I was wondering if he is a nvidia rep.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fanta1682002

no

11. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Sorry wasn't conciously ignoring the question, just dont recall seeing it.

DLSS and other exciting tech is something I want the team to investigate but they're just busy with other issues, mostly those bugs that need fixing :)

As far as "can be implemented in a day" - i've yet to see a claim like that be even remotely true for a 5 year old codebase that's bent and twisted unreal in a million ways down to the depths of its core code to do what we need, so pleased don't set your hopes on that :)

Definitely NOT a consipiracy to hold back nVidia owners, or, well, any other kind of conspiracy either.

Matt.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  12. chieflongshin

Thank you Matt. I did think it was a too good to be true article. :)

13. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

and what about FSR 2.0?, is a plug-in and actually doesn't take much time to implement it and it boost big time performance.

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/fidelityfx-super-resolution-2

is not as complicated as DLSS to implement and a big win for everyone

14. DTG Matt

Yep, that's on the list to look at too. Not making any promises, but certainly on the list to look at.

I don't believe any claims of "it's easy to do" because in my experience, not a single "easy" thing has actually been easy :)

Matt.

• Like Like x 9
  15. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Matt

What about native DX12 support? It’s undeniable that the game runs significantly better under that API than under DX11. DX12 and DLSS or FSR is surely a way to gain some serious performance headroom which in turn might allow some of these graphic options to be let loose.

From the players side it looks like DTG are reluctant to embrace these sorts of technologies. Is that fair, or are there other reasons?

The implementation has brought significant benefits to FS2020 (including all but banishing shimmer, something TSW suffers really badly with). It just seems crazy to leave that sort of performance in the locker for TSW.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  16. DTG Matt

DX12, FSR and DLSS are, as it happens, all together in the same box on a list to be looked at when there's time, yes. :)

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. fanta1682002

DLSS 3.0?

18. chieflongshin

Because of the 4090 ? ;)

• Like Like x 3
  19. fanta1682002

yes

20. 30 series just got dlss 3.0

21. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

You probably won't want to use it on older GPUs anyway. The latency hit will be far too high and feel unnatural. Arguably it already feels wrong even with the 40 series' much faster tensor cores.

Cheers

22. JetWash

Really pleased to hear it. For what it’s worth, this is the sort of thing I would like to see on a roadmap. Even if it’s nothing more than ‘this something we intend to look at’, knowing it’s on the radar is great news. Asobo (them again!) are signalling intentions for a couple of years down the line, is there any reason DTG can’t do that? There does seem to be a reluctance for some reason.

23. DTG Matt

People read roadmaps as much more close to really happening - and the above is still on the list to get to, so it might not happen for i dont know how long - that's why it wont appear there for the time being.

24. I try not to use dlss at all. Tbh I don't really see the difference. If I'm playing Cyberpunk @2160 with dlss it don't look any better than 1440. With rt on the fps gain isn't great either.

25. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

Tech that help and improve performance and is easy to implement such as FSR and DLSS should have top priority on implementing since both tech help greatly with game performance and potentially bring even more customers.

this "still on the list to get to" sounds like it will never be implemented, i asked for FSR 1.0 https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/hello-again-dtg-do-you-plan-on.42202/ when it came out in july 2021 and we are still in "to do in the list" , more than a year

again when TSW3 launched was a good chance to implement the new version of FSR 2.1 and i asked for it https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/fsr-2-1-come-on-dtg-make-it-happens.59033/

they are so many games that are in EA or heavy development and they just implement the tech and done with it, i sound like a used vinyl disk that jumps over and over the same track when i say this but i asked to kunos ( Devs of Assetto corsa competizione ) when FSR 1.0 was released and they just implemented in the next patch that was no more that a week and kunos is a much smaller dev team that also works on UE4 and not only implemented FRS but also DLSS and Gen 5 TAA

is just implement the tech and done with it

• Like Like x 1
  26. JetWash

Ok. How people read the roadmaps is up to them though…if DTG make it clear it’s a list of thing’s to come in the future it’s not then on you if people take it differently. People seem to cope with the FS2020 roadmaps ok.

Just re DX12, DLSS, FSR etc, surely implementing this tech is something that should be done before you start doing work on increasing graphical fidelity. Won’t it just end up needing more work in the long run to do it the other way around?

Thanks for taking the time to respond, either way it’s good to know this stuff is at least forming part of your thinking going forward.

27. DTG Matt

I leave the technical stuff to the engineering team - whether it's easier or not in any particular order, you have to also remember there's lots of other stuff going on and then the testing required to make sure all is good in all weathers, all lighting, through glass, etc etc is not a 5 minute job either.

It'll get done when it's done - I can't promise when that is, but I just wanted to express that it's something i've raised specifically recently and am looking to drive through when there's opportunity. Right now they're focusing on bugs, crashes etc, which feels more important.

Matt.

• Like Like x 5
  28. JetWash

Thanks again. I’ll leave you alone now :)