PC Fsr 2.1, Come On Dtg Make It Happens

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Arpadiam, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

https://gpuopen.com/meet-fidelityfx-super-resolution-2-1/

This tech is easy to implement and have huge performance gain and could help much more too ppl with modest pc

already asked FSR 1.0 when TSW2 came and got dismissed, now with this new iteration of TSW3 DLSS and FSR are tech that are essential for gaming nowadays and could have huge benefits for TSW3, TSW2 didn't have any cool feature and now is time to push beyond that and implement this 2 tech into TSW3 it will bring only big performance boost to everyone

come on DTG now is time

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 11
  2. dxltagxmma

dxltagxmma Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 5
  3. TKessel

TKessel Well-Known Member

Yeah I wish for that too! It is super easy to implement, the package is ready, free and open source. Basically not a lot to do besides put it in your project and go!

It would be a huge benefit for PC and consoles (PS5 and Xbox S / X) as well.

FSR 2.0 is very good quality wise, and as it is not HW limited like DLSS nearly everyone on PC would have a benefit from it. Either if you have a high end machine and want to safe some energy or if you have a low budget build and want more FPS.

• Like Like x 2
  4. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

FSR 2.0 may be a noticeable improvement for some users, likely for those with powerful GPUs and 4k monitors, but it can also introduce artefacts or blur for others. And it would apparently need DX12. Regarding Vulkan, there is no guarantee FSR 2.0 will play nicely with Vulkan, since I have seen some developers specifically state no Vulkan, not to mention that, for TSW3 to make full use of it, a major modification of the core engine might be necessary. And does Sony support Vulkan - not being a console user, I don't know.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

100% will never happen (for TSW 3)...you heard it here first

• Like Like x 1
  6. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

Up, 2023 and still no FSR or DLSS, DTG when? really
    this should have been implemented long ago...............................

• Like Like x 2
  7. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

It's not a priority. Other more pressing issues. It also may seem simple to implement but it still requires work for it to work properly. But like I said, not a priority

8. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

i'm done with tsw, maybe i consider comming back when this 2 things are implemented,
    this thread can be closed

bye, was a nice ride.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

11. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

Is needed, there is no excuse

• Like Like x 7
  12. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

That's just your opinion, I and I'm sure many others here would agree that there are far more pressing issues to deal with.

13. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

What exactly would this add to TSW that would bring in enough revenue to make it worth spending the time and money to implement it?

• Like Like x 1
  14. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

Can someone translate this for a console user lmao

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

The OP answered your question.
    To explain in a bit more detail FSR (and DLSS for that matter) take lower resolutions, and then upscales them with AI. The result is a game that runs better due to technically running at a lower resolution, but the upscaling gets you a image which is pretty close to how it would look running at higher resolution.

You could use the resulting performance benefit in one of two ways.

Scenario 1: You could push for more assets in routes, like say more foliage, meaning you can make the game look considerably better without needing to up your minimum specs.

Scenario 2: Keep the game at current graphical fidelity, and allow you to lower the minimum specs for the game.

In either case it has massive benefits, there's a reason it's becoming common place, even the very dated Nintendo Switch at this point has games which use FSR.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  16. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Your post (and several of the above posts) has considerably more info than the OP. Other posts question the necessity.

Just as a new route suggestion consisting of a couple of sentences is useless, the same goes for a new core technology suggestion. As with a route, new tech needs to be sold, with research and examples showing a clear benefit to both DTG and the players that's worth the development time and cost.

Just my opinion, of course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Would its introduction require changing every texture of every asset in the game to a lower resolution and then testing all the content to make sure there aren’t any inevitable oddities and artefacts introduced by the AI? It may be of benefit for something made from scratch but not for a game with so much legacy content. It seems like too much trouble with potentially little benefit for our little game if that’s the case. Or had all of the one (maybe two or three) people calling for it not considered this?

18. jack#9468

jack#9468 Well-Known Member

In regards to that first question, yes.

19. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Would it hell! What on earth are you talking about?!! Talk about not understanding what it does.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidi...Fabled-Woods-as-latest-examples.528158.0.html

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/nvidia-dlss-2-0-a-big-leap-in-ai-rendering/

This is DLSS 2.0, not even 3.0 with the Frame Generation that comes with the 40xx series cards. FSR, DLSS and native DX12 support should be a given in every game released these days and it’s a bit ridiculous that TSW doesn’t utilise that tech. Aside from buying a tonne of performance, in my opinion the AA that DLSS offers is better than TAA, particularly when it comes to shimmering, which TSW would benefit from hugely. That in itself should be reason enough to go with it. We can’t even use Nvidia game filters with TSW, it really is beginning to get left behind.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  20. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Maybe for games being released yes but not on those with lots of legacy content. I’d need to see examples of it (by which I mean all the different systems for all the different GPUs and by extension all the game consoles) working with a lot of old content to be convinced, rather than one or two people insisting it will just work and perform miracles with TSW. I think it would be wrong to just assume everything would be fine.

21. JetWash

No. Existing games too. Wanna see a game that didn’t have it then did? MSFS. When they added the feature (which wasn’t an already built in plug-in to their engine) there was VASTLY more content for that game (by a factor of at least 1000) than there is for TSW. Of course DLSS doesn’t require you to go through and lower the resolution of every single texture in a game any more than changing your screen resolution through the menu does.

I’m not making any assumptions btw, and I’m not being funny but stop being such a luddite! DLSS is not something new, and it’s widely utilised in many different games. I think that fundamentally you don’t understand what DLSS / FSR is or what it does if you think that’s what needs to be done to implement it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  22. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m always willing to accept that my worries are unfounded or if I misunderstand how something works but I am very wary of anything that could impact the whole game. I’m also wary of any ‘this game has this so TSW should have it’ arguments. Maybe DTG have tried it out or if they haven’t they should try it out in the next iteration of the game, the much talked about TSW4.

• Like Like x 1
  23. JetWash

I think due to the unique way DTG do business they only ever get to do this stuff once a year at best. I believe MP has already said he wants it in the game but can’t say when. Sucks really, because it’s free performance just left on the table. DX12 & DLSS would give them a load of headroom to do so many other things with the graphics.

• Like Like x 2
  24. JetWash

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Given that we have a thread here going on at the same time as this about continuing to support TSW on lower end consoles, and plenty historical ones about scaling the 9th gen version of the game to Series S, I imagine it should be obvious.

DTG want to keep the game available to as many people as possible.
    DTG want to support people with less beefy hardware.

On PC, FSR 2.1 is a good way of doing that, so that you don't need a high end graphics card*, and it means support for people's existing PCs lasts longer, same as their philosophy around older consoles. Meanwhile on console it makes it easier to handle maintaining the necessary feature parity between Series X and S. This means you have a broader base of potential players, and thus more revenue.

*for example, when PotatoOfDoom first released the CP77 FSR2 mod, I was able to get 60FPS in the game on an old RX 580 laptop from 2017!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  26. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

there is no much to add when FSR and DLSS been around for the past 3 years now and is used on almost any new AAA to the point that some AAA game devs skip optimization and throw that DLSS/FSR is doing the work for then which is a terrible idea

NO, there is no need to change anything or Re-Do anything, Is a plug in that it can be put into the current UE4 game Like TSW3 and that it, Is an upscaling technique, It only gives you more Framerates and lower GPU usage while maintaining your current resolution, MAGIC RIGHT?, why not have in TSW3 and soon TSW4?

FSR and DLSS doesnt affect absolutely nothing, it gives extra option in the video settings to increase performance without lowering your reso or graphic options

The only impact that affects the game by FSR and DLSS is increase in performanace, imagine you are playing at 1080p with all setttings on high and you are struggling to get 60fps, Use FSR/DLSS and it will boost your performance from a base 30% ( ultra quality ) to around 100%+ with ultra performance

that nices right?, you could or push even further game graphics or reach your desired stable framerate all in one simple option

is know that TSW optimization in general is mediocre and been asking for FSR/DLSS since the day it came out 2 years ago
    i understand that the first itineration for both upscaler were a bit time consuming to implement but nowadays as is said in the twitter i posted above, the implementation of both upscaler is trivial and doesn't take more that 30m or less for a seasoned UE4 dev to implement it

There is no downside to it, is the other way around it will increase performance and as i said before could help ppl with modest setup to run waaaaay better TSW3 and for those who have decent pcs could help to increase even further visual fidelity by pushing even more tsw3 graphic option through .ini edit

is a win win situation that Dovetail been ignoring since the day i requested it

let's see if they listen and put FRS/DLSS on TSW4 which apparently will launch soon

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  27. Princess Entrapta

Indeed, it's always a problem when something that's meant to be an additional way of ensuring performance stays above a certain threshold is assumed as part of that baseline, and thus ends up unable to salvage poor performance on a game with little internal optimisation.

Yep, it simply bolts on to UE4, and then acts to basically make it so that effectively, whatever resolution you pick, it's rendering at 50-77% of that and then "filling in the blanks" to extrapolate the rest. It's completely agnostic to any of the game's content and merely acts at the level of the rendering resolution you set the game to.

I'll push back on that. I know some folks in the TSW community don't like the TAA artifacts that become visible when you disable motion blur (Personally I find they look more like actual blur IRL looks when I am moving at speed in a vehicle and trying to keep track of the landscape outside but YMMV.) FSR introduces a bit more artifacting around the edges of objects in motion, and a "fizzling" that can be present on things like foliage textures as they move in the wind. I personally find that a fine tradeoff for a smooth 60FPS, but some might not. The key is though that FSR is an OPTIONAL toggle.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

The AA artifactic with FSR 2.1 is minimal and ppl who is struggling with performance will ignore it in favor of having higher and smoother framerate, agree is a small tradeoff

as for myself, I choose performance over quality, nobody likes game that runs bad even if have the AAAAA graphics
    ppl nowadays is used to lower settings to get stable framerate unless you have top of the line hardware, games are being shipped with terrible to no optimization at all and TSW have been suffering of lacking optimization since TSW1

We need FSR/DLSS on TSW and the benefit is none other that huge performance boost

• Like Like x 2
  29. Princess Entrapta

Oh no, don't use ME, use NT 5.0/2000 ;P

• Like Like x 1
  30. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Don't worry I am right with you on the need for FSR/DLSS - but I don't have a timeframe for getting it in the game i'm afraid.

Matt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  31. Princess Entrapta

I'd imagine then, that implementation of it would be something we'd be most likely to see in either a TSW4 or a mid-TSW3 refresh along the lines of the UE4.26 update to TSW2?

32. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

the same response i got the first time 2 years ago and this is why i dont play it anymore

something so trivial to impleme.... why do i waste time
    good bye

• Like Like x 3
  33. jack#9468

jack#9468 Well-Known Member

If you goy that same response two years ago then maybe it is too difficult for them to do at present. Not everything can be done at the click of a button.

34. Princess Entrapta

It's definitely more than "A click of a button", and would require assigning one or more staff to working on it full time for a period. As I have said before, where enthusiasts have modded it into games, it's a lot faster to add FSR to ones with existing DLSS support, that is a trivial afternoon's work, but implementing the official UE4 plugin for it from scratch is probably a bit more of a task, and those modders doing it in their own time for some games will often be dedicating more hours to it than the shifts DTG staff will be working.

35. TKessel

TKessel Well-Known Member

At least for FSR it is exactly that easy. The only possibility would be if DTG would have massively changed the UE 4 Engine.
    https://gpuopen.com/learn/ue-fsr2/

It would take you a few minutes with UE Editor if you would have access to the project.

• Like Like x 2
  36. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

3 years ago implementing FSR would take a whole day for a UE4 game dev
    now in 2023 is a plugin that can be add with 2 clicks, yes is that easy now. only takes less that 15minutes and the benefits it brings are huge

but hey, since TSW been asking for FRS and here we are, dtg dont care about the customers otherwise FRS would have been implemented long ago

a FREE tech that increase performance and they refuse to use it

• Like Like x 4
  37. meMC83

meMC83 Well-Known Member

I’d think anything so easy to implement and which can improve performance would be a no brainer. If it’s not included within TSW 4, I assume it’s more complicated to implement than just switching something on. I don’t know how it works though in all honesty.

38. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'd sure like to see DLSS support and i assume FSR is similar.

I have to say wouldn't the launch of a new numbered entry in the game be the time to introduce these features?

There was time for photo mode, which i like btw, but it really is the definition of a nice extra, rather than a core upgrade.

• Like Like x 2
  39. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

DLSS comes with TSW 5 as 19,99 € DLC
    (but it s a secret, please do not tell this to anybody)

• Like Like x 7
  40. DTG-Chris

DTG-Chris Staff Member

While we would like to see FSR/DLSS integration, you may not see the expected performance gains. These technologies are designed to lighten the load on the GPU, but as a simulator, TSW is often CPU limited. This means they are unlikely to improve your frame rate in demanding areas.

However, until we have the development time to integrate these technologies, we won't know what the potential benefits are. It could help very low end GPUs achieve acceptable frame rates if coupled with a decent CPU.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. maxipolo12

Dlss improved by all my games the fps. That's a reality.
    On all simulation games like assetto Corsa, Microsoft flight simulator competition etc.
    That's why eagle dynamics (DCS) goes in this direct too.
    On fps the gain is real too.
    Dlss will surely be a better option than the TA of TSW.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. DTG-Chris

DTG-Chris Staff Member

Visually, DLSS should provide a cleaner image than TAA, FSR not always. There's also potential for getting higher resolutions on mid-range GPUs. We will continue to push for their inclusion in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  43. maxipolo12

Thank you Chris.
    It's not a joke, look MSFS 2020 videos on YouTubeand comparison with / Without dlss

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. JetWash

It’s not just FSR / DLSS. It’s DX12 being natively supported as well, because I’m sure you appreciate a good chunk of the purpose of DX12 is to lift a decent weight off the CPU and put it on to the GPU. Add the two together and hey presto, better fps and better anti-aliasing. Also, having DX12 allows you to implement DLSS 3.0 which gives the option of frame generation for capable cards too.

These things are pretty standard in most games these days, why they don’t exist in TSW when they are built in to the engine itself is a bit odd. I got the Uncharted 4 bundle as a free gift when I got my CPU and even that has DLSS, DX12 etc and that is a pretty old game (2016).

Edited to add, it’s also part of the problem that natively TSW doesn’t push decent GPU’s hard enough. The visuals aren’t as good as they can be and the game suffers because the CPU/GPU balance is out of whack. Ultra should mean Ultra, yet in TSW’s case Ultra means Medium/High. Scenery pop-in should not be a thing on Ultra settings.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  45. karlack26

karlack26 Well-Known Member

ah DTG always explaining away why their games lack basic stuff like that's becoming standard across the industry like FSR, DLSS, DX12, or even generic controller input support like Direct Input. Direct input is a 20 year old controller standard that is also built into Unreal Engine. Keep on reaching DTG keep on reaching.

• Like Like x 4
  46. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the next time (next year?) decide to put out a new version number they could implement version number worthy upgrades like the ones described in this thread. Performance degradation is the sole reason I have shied away from TSW3 and now TSW4.

47. Arpadiam

Arpadiam Active Member

Even if TSW is cpu bottlenecked the tech should be implemented regardless, this is not an excuse to not implement it, how many games on UE4 came alongise TSW2/3 till now that have the same issues with cpu or gpu bottlenecking and they still put those tech there to help anyone that needs, Jedi survivor, hogwarts legacy to name 2 recent exampless

But i understand, you simply dont care and wont gonna do it
    been fighting to get FSR since TSW1 back in 2017, that's SIX YEARS NOW, this is why stopped playing and buying dtg content...

• Like Like x 6
  48. Dewedin

Dewedin New Member

While DLSS / FSR would be much better, I manually set r.TemporalAA.Upsampling=1 a while ago. (Not sure if TSW has this by default now, I'm going to guess not)
    Using that in Unreal Engine 4 with TAA enabled you get the benefits of Temporal Upsampling too when screen percentage < 100, it's noticeably cleaner than the default scaler and helps me play at 4K on an RTX 2060.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  49. Omnicitywife

Omnicitywife Well-Known Member

Sounds good, TSW is the only game that turn my 2080Ti into a pizzaoven...

• Like Like x 3
  50. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

Was this you coming out of the computer room after playing TSW?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5