Other Derailment / Buffer Block

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Oct 3, 2022.

1. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

Magic!! Next........DTG will pull a rabbit out of a hat? Thanks for the very descriptive video, it's above my pay grade to take video.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  2. YASUKE

YASUKE Active Member

For German Loco it happens most of the time with the AFB on

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. thisnamebetterworks

thisnamebetterworks Active Member

I just ask myself one thing: Does everyone has different effects of this glitch? Or are they rare (but not rare enaugh to ignore them), so we just "see" different glitches. I myself didn't noticed any problems, exept the horrific and gamebreaking fact, that I get the "random mission (/service) failed" while using the Jubilee (on different tracks).
    Before this topic was known, I already suspected the buffers - a kind of "invisible derailment".

The older version had steam locomotives that were more difficult to brake, but for the most part it worked without any problems.
    One step back could be a solution, if as step forward isn't possible ... or would make things even worse. (What a nightmare if deeper instability were to take root here! [no joke])
    Also it is still possible to take the older version as base and start a second try, a parallel version that would replace the damaged/glitched datas/version.

... in all honesty: For me, the sword of Damocles of the random "mission/service failed" (or other type of crash) feels much worse than the deadly annoying sound bug from back then (in TSW 2 on the XBox).

~

DTG can be glad that they are not among my employees/ team members. (Okay, of course I'm trying to push DTG now without mercy - in the interest of the product ... and thus also in their own interest. But I have like 5 min / week to do that. ... I fear that is not enaugh :( )

The easter egg in the new Training-Center (map), tells us, that this strange headphones might be important for Mr. Peddlesden. We should grab them ... and only return them when all issues have been fixed. (And hope that he does not have several, identical.)
    This would create some more pressure >;p

Alternatively, we could continue to help DTG by sharing all the information we find, ... and push them forward with constructive, but ice-coldly merciless, pressure :)

"If you ask your team [/fans] and no one upsets you with feedback, then they are either paid by the competition or work for free for them." So, I only mean well with my Klingon mentality. :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  4. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

This bug and the performance/stuttering should be #1 priority for DTG.
    It basically ruins the game

I wonder how many new DLCs will be released before this is fixed

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I haven't been back on NTP despite it being my favourite UK route since the derailment approaching Leeds. Really don't want to spend an hour driving from Manchester to have the run terminate in that fashion.

6. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

We have some improvements coming.

Today for PC/Xbox players (next week for PS) there's the first of the derailment fixes - in my tests i've not had a single derailment, so i'm keen to see how that plays out for everyone here. Once this is on your system, I would very much appreciate as many people giving their "favourite" derailments a try and let me know what improvements you see.

Following that, there's another derailment fix which is just going into testing now hopefully in the next update and i'm hoping that the combination of these two should eliminate almost all causes of derailment-while-moving. Derailments that happen instantly at the start of a service are a different issue usually not physics related and needs more of a spot-fix.

Alongside that, we also have a candidate fix (again just going into testing now) for the mass stuttering you get when you first load in and turn the camera - will still do it the *first* time you load a route ever, but subsequently after that should be perfect every time... will see how testing goes.

As always, work continues.

... and don't take my headphones away! (but yes I do have two of them, sorry :) )

Matt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. OldVern

If that downloads later I will give the NTP run another spin, thanks Matt.

8. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Sounds good, Matt. I suppose the fix is for TSW2 as well as for TSW3, correct?
    My "favourite" issue is not even the umpteenths derailment, but the coupler distances that rendered the automatic coupler of the BR363 useless. (Video is up in this thread)
    Will it be addressed?

9. DTG Matt

I'll find out whree we are on the coupler distance one - we know what it is, just need to see where they got to on fixing it.

Fixes currently only for TSW3, if they prove good then we can look at backporting to TSW2.

Matt.

10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You should rephrase that to “We will backport them to TSW2” - anything else is really not acceptable. TSW2 routes used to work fine until they were all broken to some degree by an update for one route, SoS. Leaving the whole game with a huge issue because of that can’t be excused just because you have moved on to a new title. There are many players who still have TSW2 and at present it is the only place where I can have all my old routes in one place at the same time.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Hmmm, this, on the other hand, does NOT sound good, Matt.

What stujoy says: There can be no doubt left that said bug fixing MUST be applied on TSW2.

And I´ll add: If you dream to use a presumed "TSW3 Only" - bug fixing policy as a sort of a commercial leverage to get more TSW3 copies sold, dream again because it won´t work. At least not with me. There will be no TSW3 on my console if this is not settled on TSW2. And you will have to live with a credibility problem. As far as you care, of course...

• Like Like x 4
  12. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Perfectly said.

• Like Like x 2
  13. vincentnicholas202

vincentnicholas202 Member

14. OldVern

Update incoming now, so will finish up a run on another route and teleport across to NTP, get going towards Leeds.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OldVern

DTG Matt - Can confirm I re-ran "Manchester Victoria to Leeds Express" with the Class 45 and arrived without incident across the throat at Leeds. Caveat I did keep the speed strictly under 10 MPH this time and I have to say that second slip (I think) you encounter crossing over does have a bit of a nasty wiggle in it.

Anyhow good excuse to thrash a Peak over the hills once more!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. grumypop51

Could not agree more. You took the words right out of my mind and put them down for me! Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. grumypop51

Read what stujoy wrote above please, and I quote: 'You should rephrase that to “We will backport them to TSW2” - anything else is really not acceptable.' Could not agree more, DTG broke it, DTG needs to fix it. Not one penny more from me (and I don't possess ALL DLC for TSW2 yet), unless my game is fixed.

18. grumypop51

Well said!

19. DTG Matt

OldVern (and others) please do give it a darn good thrashing, dont be gentle with it - assume you're a new user not aware of old troubles and see if it now behaves. I want to be able to say firmly "definitely" behind us.

As far as TSW2, still absolutely want to put it in there, that's not the debate. I don't know if this fix can be backported as is to TSW2 or any one of a number of other challenges - so let's take this one step at a time. Prove the fix works, then I can find out from the team about what's involved in backporting, if it's easy it'll get done asap and if it's not then i'll get someone looking at what the "variant" of the fix is for TSW2. In short, I can't make guarantees other than we want to put it in TSW2 but let's cross one bridge at a time and I'll keep you all up to date as we go. I realise that's not what you want to hear you want a cast iron guarantee - but I can't give that, beyond what i've said, in all honesty.

We've all been really clear internally from the outset that "fix bugs in tsw3 to make people buy it" would be stupid, nobody argues that point, and it's not what we're doing nor would we dream of it.

All fixes will go into TSW3 first because its the active codebase, and used by more players - that's all.

Matt.

• Like Like x 2
  20. grumypop51

Well, quite frankly Matt, I find that last statement, 'All fixes will go into TSW3 first because its the active codebase, and used by more players - that's all....' to be simply, outrageous! This problem with SPG derailments goes back to at least June 26, 2022 when most, nay ALL players had never heard of TSW3, let alone used it. On July 12th 2022, DTG JD acknowledged the problem here in the forums and nothing happened. Then, on September 26th, JD posted again, with the advent of TSW3, 'Hey - I believe this is mentioned as one of the fixes coming with the next patch: https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/player-update-tsw3-week-2'
    So, four months and most of us I suspect, left this route alone, then it happens in week 2 of TSW3 and suddenly it gets attention. I'm not so much green, as cabbage looking. I.E. wrinkly and older.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

There was actually a TSW2 patch for the derail problem on August 2. Unfortunately, it turned out to be only a partial fix. At that point, TSW3 was only a month away from release, so I daresay there was a lot else going on. But they did try to fix it before TSW3's release.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Fair enough, Matt!
    I get your point. :cool:

23. OldVern

Okay will do another run on NTP later, also as mentioned above SPG has the problem will throw that in the mix too.

Edit: Was there any particular run or scenario on SPG where the issue manifested? Probably best to focus on that as a testing ground. The next one up in my Journey is I think a switching scenario which normally would be me argh, but in this case might prove a good one to try.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. DTG Matt

For spg the general experience was about coming down the hill basically. Powering America part 2 was quoted a few t8mes as a guaranteed derail around mance unless being mega careful others report derailing near the end when stopping.

Basically abuse the heck out of dynamics and put the train under some stress around corners etc and see if any issues.

Thanks, cautiously optimistic from current reports at least :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. OldVern

Okie dokie, Powering America Part 2 it is. Will be later on this evening, though.

• Like Like x 1
  26. DTG Matt

Thanks Vern appreciate the time spent and feedback!

27. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Just had a derail on Harlem while I was at a stop.
    • Issue Summary: Driving train 664, an M3 service from North White Plains to GCT. about 1 mile from the 125th Street stop something, think it was ACT but not sure, had pulled me down to a stop. Was attempting to get the train moving again. The brakes would not release even going into emergency and back, hit 'esc' a number of time also. Then without warning got the train derailed dump.
    • Platform: PC
    • Game Mode: Timetable
    • Route Name: Harlem
    • Loco Name: M3a
    • Service/Scenario Name + Start Time: train 664
    • Step-by-Step Instructions: see above, was using dynamic weather with light rain to begin and was at this point in heavy rain.

28. DTG Matt

Hmm odd. Can anyone else try and repro rhat one ?

29. Sharon E

Matt, will run it again later and see if it happens again. It was strange anyway since I did not get an indication from ATC of reduced signals and was just about at where the 35 mph begins.

30. OldVern

Re Powering America Part 2, can confirm completed without incident. That included a fair bit of speeding (though not excessive) and rough handling so it looks as if that is sorted. May stay on SPG for a couple of days and attempt a few more runs, see what happens.

Can't help with Harlem I'm afraid as haven't bought the route yet. Was going to pick it up in the next sale, which didn't materialise for Halloween, unfortunately. However I'll also try and get a couple more NTP runs in at some stage, especially across the throat at Leeds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. grumypop51

Okay, I take your point. However, I did submit a ticket on this on 12 July this year, I then went through the rigmarole of "check your computer, uninstall and reinstall game, send copies of files" etc. etc. and this was finally accepted as a bug on 25 July this year. Again, before TSW3 and so, as you say a fix issued in haste that didn't fix the issue. Still not good enough in my book. Especially the amount of dough a lot of us have invested in the game.

32. thisnamebetterworks

• Issue Summary: Possible (invisible) derail with Jubilee Steam Loco (happened like 4 -5 times now) in TSW 3.
    • Platform: XBox (XSX / XBox Series X)
    • Game Mode: Self Made Scenario (with only one [the players] train) [relaxing, you know ;]
    • Route Name: multiple with nearly identic issue: 3 times on the Crewe Track, 2 times on different English tracks ... Don't have the details now; didn't have the time to document everything, sry.
    • Loco Name: Jubilee
    • Service/Scenario Name + Start Time: self made Scenarios, with good weather or max. a few small clouds; no other trains on the track
    • Step-by-Step Instructions: Like 4 times it happened during driving (fast, but not high speed: like 50 - max. 80 km/h ... but not sure); one time during leaving a station on the Crewe Track; was normal accelerating (so maybe a bit to gentle for timetable mode) and it said "Service Failed) ... strangly every time the loco continued driving normal during the fade out. It happened like 5 times randomly in TSW 3; was not possible to drive a complete track. In TSW 2 there seems to be no problems; one time it was possible for me to test it.
    • P. S. if I played around with the Buckeye Coupler during driving the train (free cam), the buffers seem to float in air (like 5-6 m away of the wagon), then they appear in normal positions. Never saw that. That was why I thought, it might be some kind of "invisible derail" triggered by the buffers; it was some time before this topic was opened officially.
    Just posted this to put my notice in official channels.
    (https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tsw-3-jubilee-gets-a-mission-failed-without-reason.58932/ could be closed then.)

I would help more, but I have sadly other problems. Like: Last Friday it seems, that we have a conspiracy theorist in one of our teams. Talking strange things over CoViD an the financial system to the people we should help. So, sry, no real time to help here (now). But I keep my fingers crossed that everything will be fixed quickly. Of course, also in my own interest. :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  33. Sharon E

OK, went back today and reran Harlem line train 664 and was unable to repeat the derail. I do have a thought on this, when I stopped at Fordum, I went outside and looked around and there was an AI train right behind me waiting to get to the platform. When whatever stopped me short of 125th Street and I was trying to get restarted, wonder if that AI ran into the back of me?

34. DTG Matt

Is the train behind coming into the same platform as you? or going into the adjacent one? If the latter, maybe its possible the track section releases too quickly and lets the other train think it can proceed. If it's the former - then it should be protected from that as AI drivers drive on-sight for the train on the same trains (but in the case of the latter scenario, they're no longer on the same tracks and thus can't see them anymore).

Matt.

35. Sharon E

As noted, that AI was directly behind me on the same track waiting to get up to the same platform I was at.

36. Fear-Factor

Fear-Factor Well-Known Member

I found today a AI derailment which blocked my way and it was not possible to finish the scenario.

Issue Summary:
    AI derailment in Loco DLC DB BR204 / Shimmns-Güterlieferung

Platform:
    Steam

Game Mode:
    Scenario

Route Name:
    Main-Spessart Bahn with Loco DLC DB BR 204

Loco Name:
    DB BR 204

Service/Scenario Name + Start Time:
    Shimmns-Güterlieferung / 7:20 (ger version, see screenshot)

Step-by-Step Instructions:
    Solved several tasks and was on the way behind to drive through marker at Aschaffenburg-Süd Bahnsteig 2.
    Then approx 7:49 i was forced to stop on red signal.
    Checked the map and saw a AI train in Aschaffenburg standing on my path.
    Ive jumped to the place via external cam and saw a derailed AI train.
    This causes a red sign on my route.
    Few bogeys were missing/deplaced.
    I dont have an activated save funtion!
    Dont know if this will happen again because attm i am not in the mood to replay this scenario today anymore.

Screenshots
    1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

EDIT
    Replayed today this scenario and was able to finish it.
    The AI-derailment didnt appear and solved it.

Reached 8207AP (7500AP were necessary for gold)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  37. thisnamebetterworks

For a few seconds, I got another "Service(/Mission) Failed" without any visible reason (!) - and yes, I have the latest patch atm.

• Issue Summary: Possible (invisible) derail/crash with Jubilee / Crewe Track. No red light, no visible crash; but a (random) Service Failded during driving (... again).
    • Platform: XBox (XSX / XBox Series X)
    • Game Mode: Self Made Scenario (with only one [the players] train)
    • Route Name: Happened on the Crewe Track (again)
    • Loco Name: Jubilee
    • Service/Scenario Name + Start Time: self made Scenario, with good weather and no other trains
    • Step-by-Step Instructions: I was slightly breaking this time, like 60 km/h (like 2,7 km ahead is a max 32 km/h speed limit part). Without any warning: Boom! Service Failed!
    • P. S. Downloaded this night (yesterday-today) the latest patch with the crash fixes. It seems to have no effect.
    • P. P. S. I also noticed (again), that the buffers (last wagon) float in air when changing the buckeye coupler in free cam.
    • This is 100% frustrating, especailly because no one can confirm, that this "Sercive Failed" I randomly hint (which comes out of nowhere) has something to do with the other crashes/derailments.Plus: I have no idea when or how this bug is triggered. But It destroys a lot of my time; it happens while playing, so after some time.
    • As said above: It wasn't possible for me to drive the whole Crewe Track with the Jubilee just only ONE TIME. The random "Service Failed" appears EVERY TIME - but in other situations (driving, breaking, leaving a station). Fade Out (Train still driving normal): Service Failed. >:/

38. DTG Matt

Is your custom content available for me to run via creators club ? Also if you can supply a shot of what you're seeing re floating buffers that would be great so I can confirm reproducing the issue. These reports sound unrelated to the fix or the next fix tbh so will repro them and pass them on

• Like Like x 1
  39. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

Out of interest, are you driving with manual fireman? There was an update at some point which changed the steam pressure and since then I have had the same issue in manual firing.

Maybe change fireman to auto and give it a spin?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. thisnamebetterworks

Just uploaded it: I just named it "Jubilee Test Track" and added a screenshot with the floating buffers. (The floating buffers happen only in TSW 3, didn't happened in TSW 2. ... but I didn't updated TSW 2 now for some time). Driving faster means more distance for the floating buffers. Doesn't appear if the train stops.
    But - as said - I have no idea if the floating buffers have a connection to the "Service Failed"-issue.
    The scenario is uploaded there now, too. Only one train, a few stops ... nothing more.

XBox Live Account: ScarpiaDeLaRoma (... it's the guy from the opera tosca, I don't speak italian ... just if someones is asking now)

I always used the manual mode for steam locos, in TSW 2 and TSW 3. I know how to control the general pressure. The Service Failed issues happened in different situations with different pressures ( ... I also hate the active safety valve, so no overpressure or something like that.)
    I noticed, that the pressure had a changed dynamic in TSW 3 ... so:
    I will test it with automatic fire setting for steam locos.

Would be like test #7 or something. :/

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  41. thisnamebetterworks

UPDATE: Tested the Jubilee with automatic fire mode for steam locos. (Had like 1 hour left, because I forget to set the clocks on winter time today ><)
    Luckily it worked.
    Will test it again, to be sure. At least one time the "Service Failed" appeared only like 8km before Crewe (so the final station). I hope it is not just a coincidence, and the automatic fire mode overrides the issue.

I like to controll the steam loco, but as long as it work, my slave can do the pressure thing.

Will give a feedback after I tested it again, maybe it is not an "invisible crash", just something related to the firemans work. ("after I tested it again" might be in 1 or 2 weeks)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  42. thisnamebetterworks

... hey just noticed: I thought I was the only one going to work on Sunday evening. Mr. Peddlesden from DTG is already working ...

43. DTG Matt

I'm always here :)

Thanks for the upload - I'll take a look :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. Fear-Factor

Fear-Factor Well-Known Member

Updated my post #89. Was able to finish the scenario, no AI-derailment appeared

45. thisnamebetterworks

Update:

Had time this weekend to test the Jubilee "Service Failed" thing again. (Okay, this might be a little bit off-topic now, because it seems the (floating) buffers has nothing to do with it.)

I 've driven the track 3 times (two times to Crewe, one time to Liverpool with the Jubilee): One time the whole game closed like 800m before reachign Liverpool. This was the second time, but luckily it seems rare. (Just bad, because it ruined one of the tests.)

The other two journeys over the whole track were succesful without any "Service / Mission Failed".
    Thanks to Mr. Peddlesden and the user phillip.good it seems that the mentioned issue isn't more present. (Well, I hope ...)

I changed the Fire Mode for the Steam Locos to "automatic" (as phillip.good suggested). It looks like this was the trick.
    Now I ask myself: Why did it (hopefully) work?

I got a theory, that sounds a little bit weird:
    But is it possible, that a steam loco can run out of coal? It would make sense that this is already simulated (for the Manual Fireman that is under construction?).
    In my self made scenario (to relax) the fireman does not load. Now I ask myself: Means opening the firebox the same as adding coal, even if there is no visible fireman?

I never opened the firebox in the "lonely" secenario, because there was no fireman. Now - on "automatic" - the (invisible) fireman seems to add coal and - maybe - this helped.

Never tested yet, if it would help to open the firebox without a visible fireman with the setting: "manual" fire more setting.

Hmhh.

I just wonder, that there is no indicator or warning (yet) that it is acutally possible to run out of coal ... ... if this theory is right ...

I am happy, that this issue seems to have this over-ride, even if I like to control the whole loco, including pressure and the fire itself. I like to do both jobs ... ... ... ... WELL, in a game/simulation of course. :)
    But it is more realistic if you have an active fireman. ... so, I am happy with this.

I also wonder, if I am one of a very few ppl who hit this thing (?) ...

P. S. @all, stealing Mr. Peddlesden headphones was just >>a joke<<
    *sigh*
    I watched (a few interessting parts, like the Auto-Tester) in the 2022 November Road Map video yesterday as record (on youtube). I saw what you done: Now they have to meet in an office/ small studio ...
    You should realy give the headphones back ... at least one of them. ;)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  46. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

• Issue Summary: Derailment while sitting still / coupling to coal wagons
    • Game Mode: Service Timetable
    • Route Name: Spirit of Steam
    • Loco Name: Stanier 8F
    • Service/Scenario Name + Start Time: Edge Hill Sheds - Edge Hill Yards + 8:00
    • Step-by-Step Instructions: Coupling to coal wagons, coupling manually and no credit given. After several uncoupling/coupling attempts to pass the checkpoint, loco derails from standing position

47. bobert#1678

bobert#1678 New Member

I would like to partially confirm that downhill services on Sand Patch Grade have been improved. I performed a downhill service (Not Powering America Part 2) with 2x AC4400CW and 2x C40-8W. Dynamic braking and keeping the consist around 25MPH with very little issues besides a slight "bump" once or twice. So far this derail fix is very good and will eventually try to revisit Powering America Part 2.

48. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I can confirm I have once been derailed by an AI train behind me rear ending me on Harlem. This was months back so I don't have footage or anything and cannot remember the service it was on, but replicating it would probably also require replicating the red light bug I experienced prior to it, so might be difficult.

I'd got stuck behind a train stuck at a bugged red light and waited a bunch of time to see if it was indeed bugged or if it cleared. Suddenly I derailed. Reloaded the save to see what happened and on the map saw the train behind me approaching up the track. went to external cams and was able to see it run right into me.

49. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

50. caiafra#2089

caiafra#2089 New Member

• Issue Summary: Derailment
    • Game Mode: Timetable
    • Route Name: Edge Hill Sheds - Edge Hill Yards
    • Loco Name: LMS Stanier 8F
    • Service/Scenario Name + Start Time: Edge Hill Sheds - Edge Hill Yards Start @ 00:40
    • Step-by-Step Instructions: Arrive at Edge Hill Yards and couple the wagons. As soon as you couple them it will give a Service Failure: Train Derailed
    • +Screenshots
    • +Video Links

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022