Question Thread - Edinburgh-glasgow Preview - Tues 24th Jan, 19:00 Gmt

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DTG JD, Jan 20, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hello folks!

Here's your chance to ask us and Rivet any questions you have about the upcoming ScotRail Express: Edinburgh-Glasgow route, which we'll be previewing on Tuesday 24th January, at 19:00 GMT on Twitch and YouTube

Here's the (timestamped) preview for you to watch:

Useful links to read before asking questions:

We'll do our best to answer what we can in the stream, so put your questions in below!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mikeypl

mikeypl New Member

Are the in train announcements automatic or do you have to set it up each time you want it to say something? I.e. When you are approaching a station will it say "we are now approaching x" or do you need to push a button to make it say that?

• Like Like x 2
  3. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

DTG JD, there is already a question thread in Suggestions set up by Alex, just in case you didn't know ;)

4. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

1. Will the tech Rivet used for the announcements and TMS be used by the Dovetail team in the future?
    2. Do the 3 & 4 car variants have their own stopping pattern? Or do they both do express runs?

• Like Like x 4
  5. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

For some reason this is appearing in the TSC General Discussion forum. I was wondering as we already have an Edinburgh to Glasgow route!

6. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

In West Cornwall Local, passengers don’t exit the train at stations but rather disappear from the train. Will they correctly disembark on this route?

7. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Did you not read the title of the thread?

8. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Why have Rivet chosen to go with the older, more basic OLE, rather than the newer improved versions from SEHS & BCCL?

• Like Like x 2
  9. SteveRail

I did indeed, what’s your point? I’m asking if an issue from a previous Rivet route has been resolved for this route.

• Like Like x 7
  10. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

Has Rivet figured out how to build a TSW3 route that doesn't stutter and micro pause? If so, will your findings be shared with DTG?

• Like Like x 6
  11. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

Are there any plans to automate the station announcements in the future? It seems like you will have to manually click to activate the announcements, and I can't imagine that would be very convenient for controller players who don't have the freedom of movement a mouse can provide.

• Like Like x 2
  12. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

According to one of their dev blogs, you can put the announcement you want in continuous mode so if you enable it, it keeps on repeating it at certain intervals. Didn't really go into more detail though.

13. phil.elliott

phil.elliott Well-Known Member

Can you talk about the layers for the DLC please?
    Also, how have the team approached night lighting (outside stations)?

• Like Like x 2
  14. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

There is already an official question thread with nearly 100 comments in the suggestion forum, but I’m reposting my questions from the first thread below just in case, with additional ones added at the end:

I have a few questions, tried to ask about things I haven’t seen anywhere else on the forums yet: :)
    • Are different units able to couple/uncouple in timetable mode, like the Electrostars on London Commuter for example?
    • I’ve heard that the services from Edinburgh to Glasgow don’t stop at Edinburgh Park station. Is this stop still completely modeled and supported in Scenario Planner? Do other trains from layers stop there, perhaps?
    • Can you tell us more about the Edinburgh tram? Is it a system based on the road traffic feature like the Schwebebahn in Rhein-Ruhr Osten, or a completely bespoke creation by Rivet? Are the trams random or based on the actual timetable and stopping patterns? Do they light up at night?
    • Is there a possibility the Special Projects team might be able to introduce Class 385 substitutions to Cathcart Circle in the future? The 3-car 385 variant has the same amount of carriages as the Class 314, so it would theoretically be doable.
    • Manuel Junction - a stop on the Bo’ness and Kinneil Heritage Line - is directly adjacent and connected to the mainline west of Linlithgow. Have you modeled this small halt and made it available in scenario planner?
    • I watched your walk-around preview of the 385, and all the blinds in the 1st class section seemed to be completely shut. As this appears to be quite unrealistic, would you be able to make the positions of the blinds more random?
    • You seem very interested in returning to your existing routes and giving them more content, like we’ve seen with the RHB anniversary pack, the PIS update on West Cornwall Local and so on. Have you built this new route with future expansions in mind as well?

Additional questions based on Rivet’s recent videos and screenshots:
    • Does the tram have lights? It looked very dark in the screenshot you published.
    • WIll there be next station announcements in AI-driven services as well, or just more generic messages? This was left kind of unclear in the dev video you posted on YouTube.
    • Can you detail the layers? What is the backstory behind the very nice Class 314 appearance?
    • Why are there no railtours involving classic steam/diesel locos like on East Coastway, Cathcart Circle and Southeastern Highspeed?
    • I noticed that the trams are part of the layer/service list you posed. Does this mean they’ve essentially been developed like rudimentary proper trains, just without giving the player the ability to drive them?
    • Do the trams adhere to speed limits and service patterns, and can we use the tracks they’re driving on in Scenario Planner?
    • There is a shared train/tram station at Edinburgh Park. Can we walk right up to the trams on their platforms?
    Thanks in advance for considering my questions. Looking forward to the stream! :D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  15. rennekton#1349

Layers are mentioned in the most recent article. The 314 (2 playable, 2 ai), and the rhtt (1 playable, 2ai), and the ai tram services (78)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

DTG JD Some people have already asked I think but where are the heritage services?

17. rennekton#1349

Don't tag dtg since they aren't the ones who made this route. Tag Jasper although idk that his name is on here

18. michael hunts123

michael hunts123 New Member

[removed by Protagonist - issue is being dealt with elsewhere]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2023
  19. rennekton#1349

You've already posted this same exact issue like 4 times already. This is not the appropriate forum page for your issue. Please read the title before posting

20. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

I am getting the new route, but I have one question
    Why have they chosen the drary Scotland, there much better looking place in England than Scotland to see
    Scotland is so end-of-time looking, and the people always look so glum (then again the people at station, no matter what route always look glum)

• Like Like x 1
  21. mortal1234

mortal1234 Well-Known Member

2/10 troll attempt. There are only 2 Scottish routes in TSW currently. Literally All the rest of the UK routes we have are set in England.

Q: Can we expect to hear the 1 o clock gun fire from the castle at 1 o clock ???. Serious lol.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  22. rennekton#1349

Cathcart circle is the only other scottish route. And rivet are based on scotland and this is right in their backyard and very popular. We could have easily just got some southern uk electrostar route and people would have complained why aren't their routes in this region or that region.

• Like Like x 1
  23. stevenwalker1985

stevenwalker1985 Well-Known Member

The trams are real here in edinburgh. Am glad they put semi real ones in the game, the shape of them is real for sure, no logos of course

• Like Like x 1
  24. stevenwalker1985

stevenwalker1985 Well-Known Member

We could say the same about englands landscape and people. Be nice. Scotland has some gid train routes.

• Like Like x 1
  25. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

On a similar note, I wonder if they will have included fireworks nightly during the Edinburgh Festival and St Andrews Day?

• Like Like x 3
  26. hiromaru

hiromaru Active Member

Don't the passengers freeze up?

27. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

How come the timings are auto-generated/calculated?

It massively takes away from the realism, when it’s been proved in other routes, that timings can be 00 and 30 etc.

Is it just the fact that it’s quicker?

If there’s one thing I’d love to see changed already it’s this, the rest of the route I can’t wait!

• Like Like x 2
  28. monstamash#2327

monstamash#2327 Member

We need an option for a smaller HUD. The small option isn't small enough. You put all the time and effort to make a beautiful game and ruin it with this giant HUD. The option to totally remove it isn't feasible as there is some helpful information. i.e. grade slope for freight.

• Like Like x 3
  29. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

It's not a serious question, but I hope it gets answered in the stream lol

Do you get a free can of irnbru if you purchase this route.

• Like Like x 2
  30. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

There’s probably lots of girders so you could make your own

• Like Like x 1
  31. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Is the timetable accurate to life or based on computer generated AI runs? Is there enough time to set up the train before you have to leave? These are two of Rivet’s biggest weaknesses and they’ve had lots of feedback about them, so I hope they’ve taken this onboard.

32. willisthebest2006

willisthebest2006 New Member

I noticed that the PIS on the class 385 appears to be the wrong colour, and the placement of some PIS screens is wrong (e.g. the first class PIS screen should be on the dividing wall). Is this likely to be fixed?

33. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I see what you mean! Examples below:

Real Life

upload_2023-1-22_15-49-30.jpeg

TSW3
    upload_2023-1-22_15-49-30.jpeg

34. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Had already mentioned this first question in the other thread:

1. With this being its "longest route to date", has Rivet had any direct input/help from DTG regarding the creation of the timetable? Or has Rivet created their own timetable with the occasional asking of feedback/advice from DTG? I ask as the DTG team have a lot of experience with busy routes (such as London Commuter etc) and, thus, have created some brilliant timetables.

I have a new question too:

2. On the subject of timetables, why hasn't more UK rolling stock that already exists in TSW, like some of the older diesels as a prime example, for the likes of rail tours not been utilised to layer into the timetable, thus resulting in more diverse gameplay (like that with the German routes) if you're going to have one-loco routes. The same can be said for the RHTT 66, why just the single playable service (as well as just two for AI) when SEHS Extended had a whole lot more?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

If you're on PC, you can tweak the HUD size using Engine.ini:

[/Script/Engine.UserInterfaceSettings]
    ApplicationScale=0.500 (or whatever suits you)

The only slight drawback is that on training sessions, the arrows that indicate which control to use next are no longer accurate.

36. davidjamesgoodfellow

davidjamesgoodfellow Member

Is the class 314 extra layers for ps4 p5 xbox one xbox series x and s and pc or is it for new gen only and pc

And how does the tms and pis announcements work when you are driving along

37. rjeeves#3580

rjeeves#3580 Active Member

This isn't really a question but I just wanted to say thank you to Jasper_Rivet and the rest of the team for the video blogs (and teasers) in the weeks running up to the release. (DTG take note for future releases). For the first time in a long while I'm seriously considering a day 1 purchase.

• Like Like x 2
  38. monstamash#2327

monstamash#2327 Member

This is not an option for PS5.

39. rennekton#1349

I'm pretty sure it is for everyone. Otherwise the article would have said so

40. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

My questions per the other thread...
    Why did you go with ultra modern and the 385 with the narrow forward view rather than pre electrification when you could have used the 158, 170 or even gone back to push pull days with the 47's or 27's?

Are the sound and physics on the 385 going to show improvement on the poor quality traction you have released to date?

Is revenue from this route going to be ploughed back into updating and fixing your less than sterling previous content, the route errors on WCL, the still abysmal Class 150 or the 1938 stock silent when coasting and braking?

• Like Like x 2
  41. PAFC47760

PAFC47760 Member

Will scotrail hsts services be added, seeing as the hsts are next through the relivery process

42. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

There are more differences than just the livery, like the new doors. Best bet is that we see it as part of a enhancement pack in the future. I’ve seen some comments stating the next stop of the HSTs out of Edinburgh (Dunblane) isn’t even part of the route, so who knows if adding them would be feasible at all.

43. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Going to Edinburgh in Spring... and I've just learned about this... thanks to your comment :D Not sure what it would look like if I didn't know about it.

• Like Like x 1
  44. SteveRail

Next stop is Stirling from Edinburgh & Glasgow for the HSTs. However they are maintained at the Haymarket depot just outside Haymarket station, so in theory there could be empty stock moves from depot to both Waverley & Glasgow but seems a bit much work for so little return.

Like you say fingers crossed they may do a DLC extension to Stirling at some point, which would give the traffic increase

• Like Like x 1
  45. DTG JD

Can jump on this one right away and say: I wish we could, but sadly no.

• Like Like x 3
  46. DTG JD

47. DTG JD

Here's the (timestamped) preview for you to watch:

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.