Xbox This Is Officially My Last Ever Tsw Purchase!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ExcelsiorGamingYT, Jan 31, 2023.

1. ExcelsiorGamingYT

ExcelsiorGamingYT Well-Known Member

Sorry to say it but the new "Edinburgh to Glasgow" route will be my last ever purchase to do with Train Sim World. When TSW was first announced all those years ago I was so excited for a train simulator to finally be coming to consoles, but every release to date has had something wrong with it. They are either broken in someway, unplayable or just a half arsed cash grab, I used to have so much faith in dovetail but the last few years that faith has been chipped away at. This whole release something and fix it later culture the gaming industry has turned into has got beyond out-of control just once can dovetail release something that actually bloody works, they have increased to prices of routes by £5 just for them to be as broken as all the routes before it. I think the only route I've ever been over 50% satisfied with was BCC. But this new one by rivet has completely taken the piss.... do they actually test these dlcs before release or not because how they can miss all these issues is beyond me.

Stations in pitch black darkness at nighttime to the point you need a torch!!

Insanely loud cabin noise.

Brakes that couldn't even stop a prius in time!

TMS that is impossible with a controller.

Door beeps that could wake the dead.

Signals that don't light up.

Stop markers for a 4 car train when driving an 8 car.

And the list goes on and on and on......

There's a definitive bug list someone has put together for Glasgow and so far it's at 49!!!! Yes 49!!!

Until Dovetail get the goddamn act together and stop releasing half-assed content, I'm done I won't be lining there pockets when they cannot be bothered to make an actual good game...

Sorry for the rant and my language but I'm beyond pissed off at the point!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 26
  2. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

I'd suggest you have grounds to complain directly to DTG if should wish. While posting on here is therapeutic and does get seen, complaining formally (email will do) usually gets the message across better. It might be worth pointing out to them that PC users have the advantage of being able to download unofficial fixes. A guy called Rubio is releasing one for your route shortly and it fixes many of the bugs.

From the outside it appears to me at least that the management structure is placing unrealistic targets for the release of DLC. Modern managers are all about pushing everyone harder, mines the same, keep pushing quality down and staff morale out of the window. I'm not blaming the creators, this is on DTG's Executives.

• Like Like x 14
  3. mgbgt

mgbgt Well-Known Member

Your loss then mate! I think it’s a fairly decent route! At least none of the bugs are stopping the game from being played!

Also the brakes on the 385 are fine!

Finally this is a Rivet Games route not a DTG route so it might be best to email them rather than DTG!

• Like Like x 5
  4. andyscotland

andyscotland Well-Known Member

I downloaded it today on PS4, the TMS is an absolute ballache with a controller i agree, the brakes are also pretty poor. As for sound, I play on a full dolby digital setup and whilst I wouldn't say that the cab is excessively.loud if you switch to external view it sounds like you're in the middle of a hurricane!! I get where you're coming from when you say about a half arsed cash grab because I'd rather wait longer for content that just works and frankly its.more than a little insulting to pay a not inconsiderable sum of money by DLC terms to have something that doesn't work properly, also worthy of note is the latest trend of charging £30 for DLC and only getting ONE loco with.it, that's just unacceptable, if you're gonna charge more for DLC then at least add something for the extra outlay.

• Like Like x 7
  5. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

How about this?
    Instead of spending 30 quid on a buggy DLC at launch, give it a few months. Price will come down, bugs will be fixed.

• Like Like x 8
  6. andyscotland

Thay would be ok if the bugs got fixed, not always the case though

• Like Like x 7
  7. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

True. Let me fix my previous statement:

• Like Like x 1
  8. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

DTG are the publishers though. They ultimately allowed the route to be released in that condition. EA get a lot of criticism even though they mostly publish titles

• Like Like x 2
  9. KCRCRailway

KCRCRailway Active Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

There are so many still broken DLCs... not brought to shape ever... This one will have its own indyvidual flaw forever, knowing DTG.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

At least with DTG we would have the slightest change of it ever getting fixed. But with Rivet, I am afraid not. They make stuff that has great potential, but never go back to fix the issues.

Personally still "waiting" for the Luzern-Sursee route and the LU '38 stock to get fixed so I could buy them, but I have accepted that it will probably never happen. Well, two DLCs worth of money that stays in my pocket, I suppose.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Yeah, gotta second the earlier explanation that the brakes are by no means a problem with this DLC. By all accounts they work as they do IRL, and I have had zero problems stopping a train.

The TMS on consoles is a mess. Especially as the sway in the cab means that even zoomed in, you need to line the reticule up where it will pass over the button and wait for it to be mid-pass to click. It takes some experience with leading shots in first person shooters. Not a skill that should be expected in a train sim.

The sound balance is the absolute worst, and totally out of whack, the doors of the train on the opposite platform should not be louder than my own train's.

I wouldn't know about the stop markers as I have those UI elements off, but it sounds messy.

• Like Like x 5
  13. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

If I had a hot meal for every time I saw someone on these forums saying they were done with TSW3, we could cure world hunger. Bit dramatic no?

I'm having a lot of fun with the route. It's not perfect, and it's got some problems but it's still fun to play.

• Like Like x 9
  14. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

Im staying wit TSW3 because I have no alternative on XBOX, and I like just SIMULATE driving trains (dont care about achievements, Christmas roads, collectibles etc). I have 90% of dlc and there are few of them without serious flaws.. and thats the sad true. I would even pay them for a special update process for old dlcs which are more valuable and interesting in terms of railroad heritage, than these new ones in my opinion oc.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  15. andyscotland

The thing is, we get how it can't be easy to write the software needed for.kne of these routes but it would be so refreshing for DTG or RIVET, or any other dev to say "you know what, WE are not happy releasing this in the state its in and will therefore delay for a couple of weeks until.its right" and I reckon 99% of us would be totally on board with that but to release sonething they consider 'just good enough' isn't acceptable is it really and does make it a 'half arsed cash grab' and we should show them our irritation by not voting with our pockets tbh. Yeah bugs will crop up during gameplay and that would be ok IF the dev resolved to put a team on it to get it fixed instead of thinking, well we've had the money now and 99% of people won't read these forums anyway so we'll probably get away with it because the people who read these forums are the people who will buy a route on day one no matter what and that deserves loyalty surely?

• Like Like x 3
  16. Class156

Class156 Well-Known Member

If I was DTG, I'd be having serious words with Rivet, along the lines of "we won't publish anything else until you get it together". Having said all that, the "special projects team" seem to work alongside the third parties closely so I think they need to take some heat. Ultimately the problems are clearly with the studio Execs who seem happy to run a business in this way.

• Like Like x 5
  17. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Unless you have been hiding under a rock surely you would be aware of all these problems before purchase unless you purchased it straight away I suppose? This is the reason I haven't purchased it yet, I was ready to until the stream. Although it seems the brakes aren't an issue, yet it seems to still be parroted around as if it was, which was the main reason I didn't purchase it. However I will now wait for the sound to be fixed before I purchase it.

Overall though this is one route out of many, of course most have bugs some serious some irritating but overall I am getting much enjoyment out of TSW. I am just more cautious when purchasing content now.

CCL had some bugs but for me it didn't and doesn't spoil the enjoyment of it and the lovely patches from the community enhanced it more. I am sure the same will be said of the Edinburgh to Glasgow route in the future.

• Like Like x 3
  18. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

This is an interesting point, as potentially future trains look to add more functionality to screens this problem is only going to get worse.

One improvement is the needed refinement for fine controls of the joysticks however that doesn't solve the underlying problem of sway.

One thought I had was to dial sway right down if you zoom in perhaps - but then people who sit zoomed in on the window would lose the sway there too.

Interested in thoughts on how to improve this if you have them, because I agree, it's really fiddly atm - even with the sensitivity dialed right back.

Matt.

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. Scott295

Scott295 Well-Known Member

How about a separate screen for it like we have in some trains for some control panels when you hold down right stick and pad left or right. I don't think they are affected by sway either.

• Like Like x 4
  20. teide

teide Member

It’s more than just fiddly, it’s pretty much impossible on a console to keep the sequence of announcements going that one would expect to hear whilst simultaneously driving given each needs to be selected and started manually whilst zoomed into a small trigger area. Perhaps there should be an automatic option?

• Like Like x 4
  21. andyscotland

Maybe even an option to set up a list of announcements, so you set up your list, press announce and the system then discounts that announcement so that the next time you press it it automatically does the next one?

22. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I think solving the fine controls is what needs to be done first, then the impact of sway can be addressed.

Currently the sway is only an issue because you have to push the stick half a mile before you get any input, by which point the input is intense - the sway is exaggerating that.

What needs to happen is a drastic reduction of the analog dead zones, and a slider in the settings so players can adjust it.

Edit: Mouse support for consoles too, but please don’t just add this in order to get around the controller issue.

• Like Like x 4
  23. andyscotland

Sensitivity for console players is definitely an issue that should be looked into as when you go onto the 2d screen to change points etc it's very often an issue trying to do that aswell.

• Like Like x 5
  24. james64

It's undoubtedly fiddly, but I'd still rather have it than not. It's doing wonders for immersion.

• Like Like x 2
  25. james64

I have to disagree with that. I've done two full services and managed to do the full sequence of announcements in the appropriate places, and I'm on PS5. If I can use snipers in Goldeneye N64 this is nothing to me! It does need some sort of solution though.

• Like Like x 2
  26. teide

teide Member

Perhaps I should spend more time practicing on Call of Duty! I imagine life would be much easier with mouse support on console (I’m on Xbox X)

27. teide

teide Member

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great concept just not well executed. I actually quite enjoy this route despite the empty expanse of Waverley etc …

28. cspencer553.cs

cspencer553.cs Member

Im having a great time on Edinburgh to Glasgow yeah theres a few bugs but nothing game breaking,on xbox,

• Like Like x 1
  29. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

Dual sensitivity controls for when operating controls/when zoomed in, or both. I have sway at 100% on PS5 and its never been an issue even for the tiniest buttons. The global sensitivity however, is a severe problem as its setup for camera flying or panning in first-person, not detail work

30. james64

Perhaps a solution could be to click in to the TMS, and then you could navigate through menus with the D- pad, select what you want and then exit by pressing Triangle or Y.

• Like Like x 10
  31. andyscotland

That seems like a pretty good workaround admittedly.

• Like Like x 2
  32. Loco Dave

Loco Dave Member

If you could make areas 'sticky' akin to changing points in map view.
    I don't own the route but this problem occurs elsewhere with fiddly controls.

33. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Firstly please copy/paste this on the Rivet forum.

In my opinion Rivet should not be route building, they should stick to issuing locomotives. Although I like this route, they have done nothing to rectify their appalling recreation of what is supposed to be West Cornwall.

I also think paying £30 for new routes is a bit steep, especially as there are so many bugs. I think there should be a 25% discount for pre-order on all platforms, not just steam, as this would be acceptable for all the initial problems, those who pay the asking price receive. Many of the problems have been sorted by the time it’s in the sale. I think players should wait until the sales before investing in something that has not been tried until it is successful.

I am not one to say I won’t buy another route, but there is an ongoing problem which DTG are aware of and hopefully will be resolved.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

See you in a few months.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  35. allen#2820

allen#2820 New Member

Quite agree - joystick sensitivity on that sceen is way too high, and while you can adjust the sensitivity for first person and camera views, it has no effect on the route map.

• Like Like x 1
  36. robert.miller

robert.miller Member

I agree with the TMS issue. I'm on Xbox and stopped using it, just switch it on and register and hoping it can progress to an automated announcement in the future. As for the brakes, once I stopped using them as a traditional 3 step brake and started using the percentage application I find them easy and effective to use. I think the route runs a whole lot smoother than the other TSW3 routes and I am enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

• Like Like x 2
  37. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Perhaps the solution is to have simulated the announcements properly in the first place. If that had been done, and they were automated as they should be, there would be no need for the player to be ‘heads down’ messing around trying to click something on the TMS screen when what they should be doing is concentrating on driving the train.

Not being a driver I don’t know this 100%, but I’d hazard a guess that whilst braking for a station, or indeed almost anytime they’re moving, they’re not looking down and playing with the TMS.

The problem therefore isn’t with the sway, it’s in the incorrect implementation of announcements. Surely there’s a danger here that you start trying to fix a problem that doesn’t really exist.

• Like Like x 8
  38. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Funnily enough I was thinking that myself while perusing the thread. Last thing a driver would be doing when slowing for a station is anything that could be a distraction, especially if the real 385 brakes are that quirky.

• Like Like x 2
  39. FredElliott

Having TMS function in this manner is better than not having it at all. For all we know there simply aren't mechanisms in the core (yet) that can be used to trigger announcements

Also, if the game were restricted to how things work exactly in real life, then we wouldn't have flying cameras, switching points from a map, or the abiility open slam doors remotely

• Like Like x 3
  40. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not decrying the need for trigger points so announcements could be automated but from my memory of being on a train a few weeks back the announcements are more like this
    • 1 mile out - we will shortly be arriving at
    • on arrival - this is "station name, alight here for..."
    • on departure - this is the "x train to x..."
    So IRL there wouldn't BE announcements in the actual braking zone, but a while before that

Either way, please DTG get announcement trigger points put into the core track marker scheme so these things can be added in future

• Like Like x 3
  41. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Doesn't Xbox have mouse support? Or does it depend on game? I know there is an official mouse and keyboard even for Xbox.

42. DTG Matt

Imagine, if you will, that neutral sections yellow balises are triggers that tell the train to do something... and how that could be applied... already.

*shrug*

I don't think we have anything needed in the core here.

Matt.

43. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Depends on the game that have oppted in mouse & keyboard. And while TSW can do keyboad on Xbox, it's not 100% supported (last time I've checked).

44. DTG Matt

Weren't people literally using a mouse when it came out because it solved the problem of the TMS not being usable? :)

45. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

I’m guessing you can’t comment on this, but if you can and given the triggers already exist what made Rivet go with this methodology?

If you can’t comment on that specifically, please say that adding this announcement system isn’t an attempt to generate ‘game play’ over realistic simulation. The only reason I ask is that ’generating game play’ has been referred to somewhere since the initial stream.

Announcements are a massive tick, the way they’ve been implemented is certainly not.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

This was my thought. Let us focus the TMS panel the way we can the fiddly, hard to see from the seat electrical switches and suchlike in other locos.
    Right now it takes a keyboard shortcut as far as I know, but a simple button combo to do it like in my favourite space sim Elite: Dangerous would suffice, where X+Dpad Left brings up a zoomed in, stationary, and focused version of the left console panel.

47. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

That literally would literally depend on your literal definition of what it literally means to literally be using a mouse.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  48. FredElliott

upload_2023-2-1_18-5-10.jpeg

49. andyscotland

I love the lifts being added, thats genius, only found one so far, yet to find a working escalator though

50. DTG Matt

So I know I said in my post that it would not be operational, but that's because I didn't know at that point and I wanted to set expectations to minimum.

When I got the chance to try it for myself on my retail kit, I found it worked just fine - and I'm sure i saw some others here posting about it.

Good point, i'll ask if they can put in an internal camera pointing to the TMS then you can use Camera Shift and one of the dpad left/right (cant remember which one!) to get to it.

Question for Rivet i'm afraid! there may well be technical reasons it doesn't work in this instance - my comment above is just from my high level position - i'm not part of the development for the project.

Matt.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 3