Reasons Why Linke Rheinstrecke: Mainz-koblenz Needs A Complementary Modern Timetable Too

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cloudyskies21, Feb 9, 2023.

1. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

With the recent reveal of another new German route for TSW - Linke Rheinstrecke: Mainz-Koblenz - its time period of 1997 will make it very unique compared with previous German routes from the game. Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with that and I know many are pleased to see such a route in that era, and particularly with the 103 - and that's great.

But, forgetting the debate of old vs modern timeframes for a moment. What has made previous German routes the absolute pinnacle of TSW is the amount of different content such as rolling stock choice (high-speed, commuter and freight) which can be included across nearly every route previous and thus feels like an actual network as well as providing a wide variety of busy services to a timetable.

Moreover, while some will argue nearly every previous route has been modern, it's important to point out that despite this, the joy of German routes has been having locos from all different eras, old and new, with many services operated by the likes of older, excellent locos such as the 155 and 143 to complement more modern types.

However, with the 1990s-themed Mainz-Koblenz route, my main concern is how the actual timetable will be. Basically, how busy, how much variation, any freight, how much long-term playability etc. It's certainly seems that it will be a lot different to the other TSW German routes, especially timetable-wise - and that worries me.

Obviously, the route will come with the 110 and n-Wagens (with appropriate changes for the period such as being in Mint Green livery) alongside the 103. But, I assume it's not going to be realistic that hardly, if any, extra existing German locos/content can be updated to the same standard suitable for the time period due major factors such as time and deadlines. Obviously, nearly all German rolling stock in TSW is adorned with DB Traffic Red livery.

Meanwhile, even such suitable locos that would have existed around that time in real-life may not actually be great for this route either from an immersion perspective as many may have been given more modern upgrades since 1997. The current ICE 1 iteration in TSW is a great example of such and wouldn't feel right within the older-period Mainz-Koblenz route; I do agree with those who are fans of older content who wish for authenticity. As a compromise, if the ICE 1 was not included due to authenticity reasons, then give the route an alternate, modern timetable so we can actually have this train - as well as all the other plethora of existing German locos such as the 101, dostos etc - instead of none at all!

Referring back to DTG Matt in the Spring Summit preview, he stated the Mainz-Koblenz route doesn't change much throughout time due to being historical and added that modern trains wouldn't feel out of place. Again, I'd argue this absolutely means an alternate modern timetable should be considered in which we can use all our remaining content, especially those in DB Traffic Red liveries, instead of using scenario planner which is time consuming and offers no where near the same level of joy or immersion to an actual timetable. Just to add, while the screenshots are a work in progress, I noted that nearly all the cars in the background are modern and certainly don't look like 1997 - again, another reason for a modern timetable for the route if such cars already exist here.

Basically, to conclude, I'd be very happy with an alternate modern timetable so we can use our whole collection of existing German TSW content for an epic timetable - which is why TSW is brilliant - instead of potentially just having two locos (103/110) at bare minimum actually suitable to the time period.

IMG_20191015_104611.jpg
    The current ICE 1 iteration in TSW may feel out of place in a 1997-era Mainz-Koblenz route in regards to authenticity and immersion as the train has been upgraded since. If it wasn't included in the new route's timetable due to such factors, then this would be a real shame. So, then at least have an alternate, modern timetable (and no, scenario planner is not an acceptable excuse) for its inclusion to please everyone, as well as for other trains like the 101 and other existing rolling stock in TSW adorned in DB Traffic Red livery etc Picture taken by myself

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good points and this needs to factor in the 182 running the sleeper train through here 23:45 Koblenz 00:39 Mainz Hbf

• Like Like x 1
  3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I agree a modern timetable as an alternative would be a great addition.

The main attraction for me, however is (apart from the route itself) the more historic content, so as long as that isn't compromised. Especially as it seems any UK routes from this period are unlikely to appear.

I don't know much about German trains but they reskinned the class 155 which is an older loco for the BRO route so I don't see why they can't reskin it again for this route, although I do believe some modifications were made for it. I don't know how hard it would be to backdate it completely. The 112 from Hamburg I believe dates from the 80's so would that be suitable in a different livery?

Presumably there will be some freight involved on the route.

It might be that they do plan more for the route but haven't announced anything yet apart from the basic details we have so far.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

+1
    There needs to be a modern timetable dlc. Judging from previous „historic“ routes, the scenery will probably not need any modifications, and there is plenty of rolling stock to use, maybe do one new train and a modern timetable. If that were available, that would be a purchase, otherwise I’ll probably skip this one for now, not so interested in this period.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trainzrule

Trainzrule Member

I'm not sure I really want a modern timetable on this route without at least a SÜWEX FLIRT loco DLC or a Desiro ML, which have been running on it for quite a few years now. Having a modern timetable with only generic Talent 2s and 425s would feel premature and would probably prevent such loco DLC from happening in the future.
    I am more in favor of actually upgrading more existing rolling stock to better fit this route.
    This would first and foremost mean an orient red/DR liveried 155 for freight services as well as a 401 with the older two-tone stripe. You can leave the interior unchanged, similarly to the Köln 423, it isn't really that immersion breaking when you aren't driving it.
    As far as passenger services go, you can very well get by with only a 110 and a 103. For the sake of variety, you could however add a blue/beige 110 and an orient red 103 in a further DLC, bundled with interregio coaches which can run with either loco, especially the 103. Other than that, there aren't really that many low hanging fruit. That's where you get into the territory of fully fledged loco DLC, stuff like a 151. But you can get a fairly good representation of the timetable purely with the above mentioned.

• Like Like x 3
  6. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t hold out much hope for this, DTG want to see how well Historic German content sells, Bremen was a first step in that it was sat in the early 2000’s but still had modern stock - this new DLC will be testing that the content sells without a dependency on the current ICE & TRAXX stock.

7. theorganist

I do like the old German trains, I love the liveries, they remind me of my fathers Fleischmann catalogue from the late 70's I still have. I think it is good to have a variety of periods and I hope it sells well as it might encourage more of the same and maybe they will try a BR period route again.

There are so many modern German trains so I can't imagine it won't be long for another modern German route to be released anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Personally I would not care for a modern timetable, but I do agree that it could be a nice addition for those who might enjoy it. Could be a gameplay pack like Diesel Legends.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think it needs one. The approach to satisfy the playerbase that want older rolling stock is, in my eyes, more important than to satisfy the people that already have plenty of content to enjoy. The next route might be modern again, an then, just like the UK content, threads like this will pop up claiming the opposite.

But I am not against the idea of a modern timetable. I think both sides should be happy. Things like IOW2022 should be the norm. Maybe third party, maybe a special projects team, that takes a route post release and dates them back a few years or forward and throws in some reskinned old locos.

I think that would please everyone.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Plenty of Modern German routes already so maybe not for a good while. Get this one out then some DLCs with older stock would be better course of action.

• Like Like x 5
  11. theorganist

Yes I am sure there is plenty of potential DLC which would suit this route and this time period. This will be the second more historic German route so I suspect the one after will be modern again anyway.

12. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Yes there are plenty of modern DB routes for those who like driving Traxx locos or nearly silent red cab cars.

• Like Like x 1
  13. theorganist

Wasn't someone at some point going to build an old German diesel? I seem to remember a thread about it, a Ludmilla or something?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

That would be a dream of many Germans here, I guess. Including me. And made by TSG, it would be possibly my first day-one purchase.
    DB BR232, the former DR BR 132 was a legend in East Germany.
    Unfortunately I think TSG has postponed its launch due to a 3D redesign.

But a West-German BR218 would be as much exciting.

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/db-br-232-ludmilla-confirmed-in-prod-new-g6-teaser.31664/

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. theorganist

Yes that was the one, I would love to see it one day. Of course it would have been TSG.

Oh yes loking at the BR218, I would love to see one in the sim.

16. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Trust me, as a musician you don´t want so much to see her (although she´s beautiful), as you want to LISTEN. Now, that´s what I call a diesel loco sound.

Starting at 0:50 for the impatient:

• Like Like x 1
  17. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

If be happy for a "diesels of the great western" style DLC for this route (just in reverse) offered a few months after release. Which I feel is the best chance we've got

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Would have thought the 218 would be the most useful as they still get about. 232 a little less these days although both very welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  19. theorganist

Yes she makes a glorious sound.

• Like Like x 1
  20. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

TSG's 232 is (sadly) probably very far away. After Niddertalbahn, the 420 is the next DLC, which - i hope - will release in the first half of 2023. And even then, TSG works as 2nd party for DTG. So it can take a long time, before we see the 232. Or the 218.

21. theorganist

I am looking forword to the 420 very much. Would that have run on this route?

22. matinakbary

No, the 420 in the iteration TSG is building never ran on that route. Also other iterations of the 420 did not.

• Like Like x 1
  23. theorganist

Okay thank you for that. I am new to German trains and am interested in knowing where trains old and new ran and what duties they performed.

• Like Like x 2
  24. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say its interesting to read valid arguments from both sides of the debate. Though I do feel, as already mentioned in the thread, that DTG should consider a diesel legends approach with an alternate timetable for the new route. Why you ask? Well, while I'd normally just accept if a certain route had been chosen to be an older period, and that's completely fine under normal circumstances. But, because previous German content has been the strongest overall in TSW, primarily thanks to the likes of a plethora of loco choice, service-type variety, AI traffic etc, I'd argue a modern alternate timetable may be needed. Especially, if the route is going to be very different to the norm, whether that will be a good or a bad thing for its popularity in the long-term who knows.

Indeed, I wholeheartedly agree that historic content should be authentic with only the relevant locos and liveries present. Considering DTG are effectively starting from scratch with older German content, they have opportunity to keep such entirely separate timetable-wise from the existing modern content, thus seems a logical approach for the latter to have its own alternate timetable for those who want to use their existing locos without the hassle of scenario planner.

Yeah I can understand such strategy, which is fair enough, and will actually be very interesting to see how popular the new route - as well as Niddertalbahn being around the same era - will be to the overall playerbase considering how different they will be to existing German content.

• Like Like x 3
  25. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Although several locos of the period are missing (120, 139/40/41/50, 151, 111 and of course the ubiquitous 215/16/18 diesel), nonetheless there are existing locos which could fill out the route reasonably well, including the 101, 143 and 155. (The 112 was in service in the west also, but apparently not on this section of track).

26. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

How about a DB Baureihe 150 Einheitselok 141 Knallfrosch for their prototypes DB Baureihe 141 Darmstadt Eisenbahnmuseum DB Baureihe 150 Koblenz Lützel Green and Red. The former Koblenz Lützel has a working DB Baureihe 120.

27. theorganist

It would be good to see them added in although I believe the 155 would need some adjusting in the cab to make it more realistic for the period.

It would be a pity if there were only the two loco's included when you compare it to the other German routes. However the scope for DLC is great so hopefully some of the other interesting German trains which were present in 1997 will come along.

• Like Like x 1
  28. matinakbary

I think this route offers a huge variety of possible loco DLCs. I hope this potential will be used, as we might have again more loco DLCs in future. They're inevitable when it comes to variety. The "vanilla" trains with a route are nice, but normally just one of them is completely new. And so is the 103. So I hope we might get something in future for Koblenz-Mainz.

• Like Like x 1