Great Western Railway Full Route

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by connorburn1, Sep 2, 2018.

?

would you like to see this in the game

Poll closed Apr 2, 2019.
  1. Yes

88.9%
  2. No

11.1%
  1. connorburn1

connorburn1 Member

CFA73159-C41B-493B-B0CF-8BC6D6F1B71F.png I would like to see the full route done for the great western railway

• Like Like x 16
  2. Karl456

Karl456 Member

Unfortunately, the map you posted doesn't let me know what you mean saying "the full route". Actually, I see a network of routes and not a single route on the map. So I assume that the Great Western Mainline begins at London Paddington - but where does it end? In Swansea, Bristol, Penzance or Exeter? I'm not from the UK so I don't know too much about GWR...:|

• Like Like x 2
  3. connorburn1

connorburn1 Member

CF7306C5-1C21-440E-A688-83ABA9C7C740.png This any better zoom in if you can

• Like Like x 1
  4. Karl456

Karl456 Member

Ah okay, thanks for these useful information and the map. If you really mean Great Western Mainline from Paddington to Bristol then this route would be approximately double the length of the current route. That would be quite acceptable for DTG I think and seems realistic as the work effort is not too immense. Personally I'd love to see some branch lines to drive on, so it wouldn't be so boring as it is at the moment when we just ride from Paddington to Reading and back to Paddington. Services to Bristol might bring some more variety to the game, that's true. But if we had branch lines, the amount of possible scenarios and services would increase enormously. Just imagine: We could drive tourists to Windsor Castle and back to Slough where they change for a train to London or Reading or Bristol. Or they get out at Didcot Parkway where they take the branch line to Banbury. And furthermore we could deliver some goods to regional industries which adds tons of new shunting opportunities. So a branch line extension also supports "freight lovers".
    But ideally we get both: A route extension and also a branch line add-on. And me, too, would be one of the first to buy this as I really love the scenery and the route. It's just a little boring at the moment as I described above.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  5. connorburn1

connorburn1 Member

Mate I agree with everything you have said this why I’m trying to reach the developers to please work on the main line and other because people know that you are not done

6. [UK] Alien Baltan

[UK] Alien Baltan Active Member

I live just a few miles away from Maidenhead (in fact, Taplow station is right on my doorstep), and the Marlow Branch is a very pretty little line that could be quite fun to operate in TSW. Start at Maidenhead, go out through the suburbs and over to Cookham, then into the station at Bourne End to reverse before coming out and then running the Marlow Donkey along the River Thames to Marlow and back again. It's a short branch, but it's got 5 stations and is operated solely by Networker Turbos (which will eventually be replaced by Electrostars), so it should be well within DT's reach to implement somehow.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aquantis

Aquantis Active Member

I think the full route might be a bit much, but an extension to Didcot, Swindon, or Oxford might be cool

• Like Like x 1
  8. [UK] Alien Baltan

[UK] Alien Baltan Active Member

The original GWML route that's existed since the RailWorks era runs all the way down to Oxford too - it's strange that DTG didn't include that bit of the route when making the Great Western Express DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

The reason the route was only the section from London to Reading is that DTG only has limited time to create routes. As DTG was new to the tools when GWE was created there was only enough time to create the route as far as Reading. As DTG's experience with the tools improves, longer routes will be created.

In my opinion some sort of extension probably will happen for GWE either by DTG or a third party at some point in the future. An extension to Oxford would be good allowing for longer services with the HST which isn't as good operating short services and also more variety in class 166 and class 66 services.

• Like Like x 3
  10. DANNYBOY2487

DANNYBOY2487 Active Member

to me the GWE Route should get a modern update to look like what it is today and release a class 800 and 387 and extend it to Oxford cause then you drive on diesel to reading then swap to electric and continue to Paddington.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DANNYBOY2487

DANNYBOY2487 Active Member

following on from my last post i reckon Just Trains will do a TSW version of their Western Mainlines one day

12. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I am not sure if the devs see this or content builders but this is a must let me say why as well.

Dawlish, imagine with UE4 the scenic routes and railtours you could do if you added a Class 52/50 to the mix.

Plymouth with Laira Depot to navigate round, the Freight run from Avonmouth to Bristol. The severn tunnel we could walk the length of (just because you can)

The fact you can walk around makes for such lovely stations and scenery. The Class 800 and all its functions. Full ATP support for speed limits, braking.

With the advanced graphical engine stablility no other game has been this exciting in a long time.

Sorry if these have been mentioned already (I've seen the magic of TSW)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

An extension to Oxford is quite plausible but to be able to create a network that goes even as far as Bristol would require a top quality PC to even get past 15fps constantly

• Like Like x 2
  14. Keiron Bartlett

Keiron Bartlett New Member

I think this is a great idea, I’m waiting for DTG to create this at some point, Paddington desperately needs an update to modern day as more HSTs are replaced by the Hitachi Class 800/802 and the limited number of Class 166 now replaced by Class 387.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jjsmvt

jjsmvt New Member

I would like to see this too!

• Like Like x 1
  16. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I keep hearing they'll never go back to this. Not from DTGs own team mind so I'm still optimistic.

• Like Like x 1
  17. davieas

davieas New Member

Apologies for the late response:

Just Trains already have their Western mainlines, which essentially IS the full route. You can drive a train from Padd to Penzance in one go (if you so wish).

Even if DTG were to do it all you would need a VERY powerful computer as there would be so many assets that they would need to include and it would take ages to load up.

Superalbs (superalbs.weebly.com) released a GWR 387, a HC 360, a GWR 800 and a GWR 166, so you have it all there

Finally I guy called Thomas released the GWML but electrified, so you have an updated option. I hope to edit this further, extending it to Newbury, tidying up reading and redoing North Pole and OOC. (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1707329091)

• Like Like x 1
  18. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Oxford want a first step to make it longer

• Like Like x 1
  19. cooltoyn

cooltoyn Member

At the moment i have the just trains version of the western mainline's set between 2013-2015. The new name sounds better great western railway. And where the section of the the line goes round to Bristol parkway there is another new deport which doesn't appear in the just trains version of the western mainline. However if this does appear for train simulator 2022 it would be a fantastic opportunity to see today's version of the great western railway.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

best discuss stuff for train simulator classic in the respective forums as this was a suggestion for it to be in the tsw games back in 2018 haha

21. darkwarrior#2896

darkwarrior#2896 Well-Known Member

Me too and I would like to see the complete network of Brighton main line along with Great Western railway southwestern railway Thameslink East Coast way West Coast way London overground and Southeastern main line

22. Knightfire1964

as much as that would be nice we all know that won't happen gen 8 would be out of the question

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. cooltoyn

cooltoyn Member

i would love to see this in train simulator 2022 at the moment i have the just trains's version of the western mainlines which is set in the years between 2013 and 2015 and think we need the brand new 2022 version with the new series 1 OHLE along with brand new deport's at reading 'Bristol Parkway and North Pole depot and the new Stockley Flyover which takes the new Elizabeth line trains to heathrow.

24. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Unfortunately to play longer routes means winding your pc back 5 years into TS

• Like Like x 1
  25. euaningarfill

euaningarfill Active Member

Western Mainlines needs a full redo in 2022 standards for ts again 3rd party freeware likes of ontrack simulation have a fantastic Western Mainline route but tsw will never get that due to dtg locking the game down and tsw would not be able to handle a full route lol
    Everyone keeps saying dtg are still learning the tools but 5 years down the line is stupid

• Like Like x 1
  26. The Angry Gamer

The Angry Gamer New Member

DTG only made the route to Reading as that's all they was going to do for the GWR route it's like they said about the tools for TSW witch can not be delivered for us to use without having to charge as they are not free short sections of routes means they can make more money

27. Knightfire1964

I mean it was great route to start of with seeing it was only the 2nd one they had made and was the first time they were sorting out passenger services so was right to start small. i mean just looking at it and to what we have now its a big difference

28. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

The branch lines are LONG OVERDUE on GWE. I cannot understand why they were omitted in the first place. Various service types such us out and back shuttles, reversals and freight/shunting duties. I have listed the branches between Paddington and Reading on various occasions and really hope that one day we get to experience them in TSW3 or beyond. Also I find the chosen period of 2015 a little bit misplaced as it would probably have been better to do the early 1990s with Diesel only operation or present day with full electrification to Reading.

29. darkwarrior#2896

darkwarrior#2896 Well-Known Member

I think he means Great Western mainline expansion Paddington to Bristol all the branch lines within with conclusion of Heathrow Express and the Elizabeth line and the modern GWR locomotive

30. mrmoonwalker#2671

mrmoonwalker#2671 New Member

If we got a new version of the GWML I'd like to see the main route (Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads) so we can change to diesel on the 800/802s between Swindon and Chippenham and possibly Paddington to Swansea maybe controlled up until Bristol Parkway if its too far, then we could have the branch with the 166s and 158s going from Bristol Parkway to temple meads etc. Another option is something like reading to Taunton in addition with the London to Bristol TM route. Then with that we could have the branches going from Westbury etc with services to Bristol TM, some reversing to go further north, Swindon etc. Closer to London we would have possibly the class 800 service to Oxford with the 166 shuttle from Didcot. Additionally also the 387 service from Paddington to Didcot would be nice. I think there could be a lot of scope for this and it would be one of if not the best DLCs if this was ever considered.