PC Game Freezes After Strat

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by MrBond96, May 19, 2023.

1. MrBond96

MrBond96 New Member

I have a problem. I used TSW this mornig without any problems. Evening game not running. I see the intro, main menu. After all freezes. I hear music. There aren't any errors, but i can't do anything. It come literally through 1 min after start. Verify integrity of game files Steam was done.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

i have the same problem

i did a reinstall and had to login and got dovetail life offline error

3. MrBond96

MrBond96 New Member

Yes, now i read another thread witch same problem...

4. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

5. DTG JD

As a temporary workaround, you can manually delete your old Dovetail Live Authorisation Session, allowing you to play TSW3 (without Dovetail Live services whilst we perform the maintenance), by following the steps below:
    1. Exit the game
    2. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the following: C:\Users\[User]\Documents\My Games\TrainSimWorld3\Saved\SaveGames
    3. Delete 'dovetaillive.sav'
    4. Restart your game - it should start as normal (minus DTL services temporarily).
    Doing this will not delete your Mastery Progress or uploaded Railfan Shots.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2023
  6. MrBond96

MrBond96 New Member

Thanks! I really hope this helps me. I'm happy you are trying to resolve the issue quickly.

7. peterchambers

peterchambers Active Member

Is there no way you can inform us of this IN ADVANCE by email or notice on the loading screen - or something - in future. I have spent all night trying to fix the crashes thinking it was my fault and have re-installed the whole installation a couple of times since last night.

Last edited: May 20, 2023
  8. MrBond96

MrBond96 New Member

I faced the same problem last evening, and also thought that is problem in my computer. I even remove a couple of the latest mods. But I saw thread with analog problem and I didn’t do anything about it. Especially since it was late at night. I’m really sad that you had to do this due to the irresponsibility of DGT.

In fairness, it should be said that the method proposed by JD helped temporarily solve the problem and I was able to play this morning. But that doesn't change their unprofessionalism.

9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

What’s worse is it’s not just a game breaking bug, it also locks the hardware up requiring a hard reboot of the PC. Not very computer friendly.

• Like Like x 6
  10. peterchambers

CTRL-Alt-Delete and then task manager to close program worked on all occasions through the night for me.

People are still being taken by surprise. Should not DTG be emailing all customers or putting a notice on Steam, or somewhere, to let people know before they start spending time re-installing etc. ?

Last edited: May 20, 2023
  11. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

How was they supposed to know any of this were to happen?

12. peterchambers

Now that I know more, I understand they could not have anticipated the problem but they could have sent an email out, as they did yesterday in the hope I would buy some more of their stuff. There were still people this morning getting caught out.

13. OldVern

Well I'm guessing the $64k question to ask now is, is it fixed? Don't want to submit my PC to yet another hard reboot.

Also seems strange this only affects TSW as I have Dovetail Live enabled on TSC and that ran without issue.

14. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

For anyone who gets this crash, I found that you can click STOP in Steam to get TSW3 to shut down without having to reboot your machine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OldVern

The problem is my PC/screen was completely frozen on both occasions. Couldn’t even Alt Tab out of it or get Task Manager to appear. Total hardware lock. I will now not touch TSW until I know this is fixed.

16. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's a bad crash, but following the workaround was successful for me. Been playing with no issues since.

17. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

This work around has not worked for me!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. stewartforgie

stewartforgie Well-Known Member

If you are on windows10, then holding down the Windows key and d key should get you back to desktop.
    If you are on Windows 10 then holding down the windows key and the d key will (or should) get you back to desk top.

19. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

I’m not totally clear on the chain of events. But it seems like shutting off Dovetail Live for the weekend was the cause of the problem, not the solution.

In that case, they definitely should have known that this would happen.

20. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

If you can handle being without your trains for a day or two, just wait until DTL comes back on line on Monday.

Everything should return to normal then I would imagine.

Perhaps this " maintenance " is related to AOM for PC. Just a thought.

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  21. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Then try a Tele, or maybe a Les Paul.

• Like Like x 1
  22. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

I don't have an issues and i'm on PC Steam 0 issue from me

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. seancrabtree2003

seancrabtree2003 Active Member

Tried that didn't work almost broke my PC as so mad with it and only find this after thinking it was my computer maybe this should be communicated to us via other social as this is the worse thing dtg have done to date and hope lesson will and have to be learnt

• Like Like x 1
  24. Crosstie

All is copacetic on my installation. Don't know what all the fuss was about kiddoes.

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  25. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Same here. I received the patch and everything worked fine for me all weekend, including Dovetail Live. So, whatever the problem is, it is not affecting everyone.

26. OldVern

Great to hear some people had no issues however, I will be looking for some sort of announcement that everything is back in order before chancing the game again - not really happy about subjecting my PC to yet another instance of this potentially hardware crushing bug.

Presumably there will be a nice little loot box or voucher too, to make up for the inconvenience the outage has caused… ;)

27. DTG JD

This wasn't a planned change. To clarify:
    • We saw players struggling to access the game at around 7.30pm Friday night (we're still diagnosing the issue, but as far as we know no game update was pushed)
    • We believed it had something to do with Dovetail Live
    • After trying many options, our only option left available was to switch DTL off over the weekend (around 10pm)
    • For those who logged in between the time where the issue was first seen and when we shut off DTL, the workaround above should help them get back into game
    • This meant that we were unable to post out an article with the details - as DTL is on the same system - we put out a PSA announcement on the forums, and included an article in the Support Centre
    I don't have news as of this morning, but will aim to get an update as soon as we know what our next steps are.

EDIT: We believe this may have been to do with a Google infrastructure update, which happened around 6pm on Friday evening. We're working on a solution, but it might be most of the day/tomorrow before it is resolved.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  28. DTG JD

No, DTL was shut off to solve the issue, as a last option. The maintenance wasn't planned.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I have been playing all weekend and the game was telling me I was connected to Dovetail Live. Im not sure if DTL was not really offline or if the game was telling me I was connected when I really wasnt.

Also might be interesting that after installing the patch the game reinstalled the Steam Commons component before letting me play the game.

30. Crosstie

Exactly mirrors my own experience.
    I was a little concerned when I saw that Steam reinstall, but it didn't affect the game.
    You have to wonder why it was so disastrous for some people and yet others were entirely unaffected.

Sorry if my earlier post was a bit facetious. More serious than I thought for some I guess.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1