Ts19: Rails Along The Hudson!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Mar 4, 2019.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Written by: Gary Dolzall.

One of America’s most famous, busy, and scenic routes – the Hudson Line – is coming soon to Train Simulator!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 17
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The first time in a long time that I want a TS route. This would be awesome in TSW too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

Damn for a route just to Croton-Harmon, this looks awesome! I hope it is out soon as the article stated, because I’m gonna be all over this route!

• Like Like x 5
  4. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

You know.. I was JUST playing the New York to New Haven route last night.. And said "When is DTG ever going to give us the Hudson?!"

I cannot tell you how pleased I am to finally see something of this line being done.. Way overdue!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I am very happy to see this has been done, FINALLY. I cannot help but feel that those, like myself, who have looked forward to this route for so long, feel cheated by the length. Though, I do remain unsurprised, as having been quite observant of the practices within the last few years, concerning route building, and offerings. While the terminal point is to an extent, say more sensible than the laughable choice of length and endpoints in TSW's NEC Route (which I consider a paid demo), I still think this could have benefited from being taken all the way to Poughkeepsie. Otherwise. You don't get much value out of the diesel locos. Other than the empire connection. So, I seriously hope an extension to Poughkeepsie is a very real possibility. Possibly even to Albany. Where both Amtrak and MNCR P32's will serve their full purpose.

Also... Please tell me that older Shoreliner coaches and cab cars are going to be supplied somewhere down the line. Because it's quite upsetting to be given the same model in every version of DLC's where they are used. That even includes the NJT comet coach equipment. Because if we're being honest here, they're really all just repaints or slightly modified versions of one another. I think it would be best if that in the effort of providing a variety in our collections, that those come in the form of a possible free update like that was given with the MLV's for NJT. OR... Or... When, and IF an extension is done to this line, that those cars will also finally see the light in TS.

As for Future DLC for this route, and for New Haven... For the love of all that is good and holy, earlier M-series EMU's.. PLEASE. M2/4's, M3A's.. All very similar, and if you ask me, should be done as a heritage package. Come on DTG... PLEASE!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  5. USRailFan007

USRailFan007 Well-Known Member

This is just unbelievable... Freaking speechless! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  6. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Okay, so the community has been begging for this route for a while now and thankfully they're making it in TS. But they still managed to screw it up. So if the 64 bit version of TS can give us bigger routes (such as the Marseille to Lyon TGV route), why the actual $#&@ is this route only going as far as Croton Harmon. Really? I mean yeah, it could be worse. We could get a release on TS and have it only go as far as like Yonkers or Spuyten Duivil, but 60 miles is all we get? TS 32 bit could handle much longer routes with just as much detail. I really really really hope an extension to Poughkeepsie will come out for this route soon, because otherwise DTG is really missing this route's potential.

(Bring on the downvotes! XD)

• Like Like x 4
  7. NJT Railfan

NJT Railfan Well-Known Member

Thank you DTG! Take my money! I'm am so hyped!!

• Like Like x 4
  8. John Murphy

I really do feel cheated by the short length. The Croton Harmon-Poughkeepsie section has some of the best scenery on the entire route and they skip out on it. Yeah, I should have known DTG would find a way to screw it up. They should either take the extra time to extend the route to Poughkeepsie before release (which won't happen because DTG is too greedy to even wait for bug testing, let alone extend the route) or we should get an extension VERY soon after the base route is released that should come half price or less to people who already own the base route. There is so much wasted potential in this route by only taking it to Croton Harmon, both from a scenic and operational standpoint.

• Like Like x 3
  9. b4ucmenow

b4ucmenow New Member

Repost from rare_common_sense

Quote "As for Future DLC for this route, and for New Haven... For the love of all that is good and holy, earlier M-series EMU's.. PLEASE. M2/4's, M3A's.. All very similar, and if you ask me, should be done as a heritage package. Come on DTG... PLEASE!" ..

These EMU's are the real heritage of the line and should be built as well. This will make our northern commuter rail network complete. Please take into consideration as "WE" are you true customers that appreciate your products. Thank you.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  10. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

I am hyped!!! I can't wait!!!

• Like Like x 4
  11. BrodytheG4m3r

BrodytheG4m3r New Member

I Am So Hype! DTG Take my 42.35 dollars cause i need this route!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Amboy69

Amboy69 New Member

Can we get the older shoreliners and M3A locomotives?

• Like Like x 1
  13. P. Maneiro

P. Maneiro New Member

Thanks DTG for this!!! But we need the M3A to go with this also!! Hopefully a future add on along with a route add on all the way to Albany for the Empire Service on Amtrak! Greatly looking forward to this otherwise.

• Like Like x 5
  14. johnnym1139

johnnym1139 New Member

Gotta give us the early M3 railcars you can’t drop this route without those trains. There too iconic not to have. We were hype with New York to new haven hoping y’all would drop a dlc. Then with Lirr via tsw still no early budd rail cars. Now this route and we only get m7s? Dtg don’t screw this up seriously just listen to us we need m3 and m2 rail cars.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rare_common_sense

Well, they are going to release it without them. Just have to wait for them to hopefully do them soon as a paid DLC.

• Like Like x 3
  16. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

Awesome. Soon can't come soon enough!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

They might not be able to get reference material for the older equipment.

18. wnyp636

wnyp636 New Member

We want Poughkeepsie! How can you do the Hudson Line without Oscawanna Tunnel, Peekskill/Roa Hook, the Highlands, the Bear Mountain Bridge, West Point, Breakneck Ridge, Bannerman's Castle, and Beacon? Hopefully this is offered as an extension down the line. Mind you, the New Haven Line is the same length as the line to Poughkeepsie, so there's no reason they can't.

• Like Like x 4
  19. John Murphy

I personally think they're doing it as cost cutting and also to shorten the time to release so they can rake in cash quicker. Even though they'd win over a lot more people if the line went all the way to Poughkeepsie.

• Like Like x 4
  20. rare_common_sense

I certainly agree, 100%..
    Let's also not forget they recently released an extension to the French Highspeed route, making it 3x longer than it was originally, So maybe even Albany could be a thing as well.

I could see if this was an extension to the New Haven Route.. But its a standalone. Which will more than likely get merged upon release.

• Like Like x 2
  21. rare_common_sense

That is a very likely assumption. I can understand it to some extent. But it is still a bit disappointing on that front.

• Like Like x 2
  22. John Murphy

After all the requests this route got to go to Poughkeepsie and Albany and since the game is more than capable of doing so now, I believe DTG owes us an extension. The route should be going to these places in the first place.

• Like Like x 4
  23. R62A1973

R62A1973 Active Member

Can’t wait lol and will Hudson line come to tsw as well?

24. USRailFan007

USRailFan007 Well-Known Member

One can only hope so. However, not anytime soon, with the announcement of the route, for TS1.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. rare_common_sense

It should, I agree. Though to an extent, I understand partially why they have adopted the practice. Because the longer the route, the longer it takes to release, thus also taking away the amount of time given to other projects. In case, seeing as they appear to cave in when enough of the demand is in.. they will extend it. And also providing something new along with it as a consolation.

• Like Like x 2
  26. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

One word to say... Hallelujah? Seriously, the punctuation I chose is intentional. The word is accurate to my reaction about this route. I have always wanted this route in Dovetail Games' Train Simulator and I'm glad that it's finally coming. I rode the entirety of this route in the real world (and the entirety of the Water Level Route, all the way to Chicago) and it's a route you have to put on your bucket list for epic train trips in the real world, I recommend it!

However, now, this explains the question mark in that one magic word I said. What the heck is the logic in ending the route at Croton-Harmon? Having only the electrified part of the route for a standalone route? That's a worse mistake than the Morristown Line, at least the Morristown Line was an extension for the North Jersey Coast Line, so that's understandable, but not recommended. Dovetail Games' version of the Hudson Line should've gone to at least Poughkeepsie (so we could have all of the Metro-North territory) if it was going to be a standalone route. Glad though that Dovetail Games chose to do the most important part from New York City to Croton-Harmon instead of Croton-Harmon to Poughkeepsie, that would've been worse.

The only logic I see by having it end at Croton-Harmon is that you can have complete runs with Metro-North EMU Cars and a few Metro-North Diesel-hauled Services ONLY. Which brings me to my next point. The Metro-North Bombardier M7A EMU cars should've been a train set DLC for this route. For them to be included in the route dictates the excuse of the route being shorter than what the majority of the market who wants this route wanted out of it. The Metro-North GE Genesis and Shoreliners should've been the featured Metro-North train set in this DLC. That makes more sense since the route could've been extended to at least Poughkeepsie and the Amtrak version of the P32AC-DM Genesis is included anyway. How hard could it be to include a repaint of a locomotive in the same route if you have permission to use it's paint scheme?

I hope this gets extended soon and very soon. Maybe in Train Simulator Legacy (yes, I hope it's called that and not "Train Simulator 2020", to imply that Dovetail Games will concentrate on Train Sim World or an all-new Train Simulation game when it comes to new content from the company by then), this will be the featured default American route with an extended version to Poughkeepsie (or better yet, Albany). In the extended version to hopefully Albany, the route would be complete for all the trains that run on this route and also the West Shore Line/River Sub Division could be included from Albany and Selkirk to Jersey City since it runs parallel to the Hudson Line.

There you have it.

• Like Like x 5
  27. rare_common_sense

If you probably remember in either of the Hudson proposals for TS/W about a year ago or so.. I did state that they would more than likely terminate the route at Croton-Harmon if they ever decided to make it, based on their offerings within the last few years. But, I did call it. Still nonetheless a little disappointing that I was right. But if their extensions as of late are any indication, if enough people advocate and pester then for the extension, they more than likey will don't, if they haven't already set provisions for it to be done.

I had to reread the second paragraph. I was almost a bit lost. But I totally got it. I think they still can just go and extend it despite having all the included equipment. What can be done, should they decide to extend the route in the future and add equipment. Is do so, in the form of older Shoreliner coaches and cab cars. But while that may be in the works somewhere down the line, all of the older M series EMU’s sorely needed and done as heritage units for both the Hudson and New Haven Lines.

They could charge 24.99 for the offering, as we would get variations of the EMU’s as well as scenarios for their respective routes. Which I don't think is such a bad idea from a consumer or merchants standpoint. As it would be tedious to offer such in the form of multiple dlcs, which all looks and operates in very similar fashion.

• Like Like x 4
  28. GG1 4935

GG1 4935 New Member

Great News! This is a great addition to the great TS New York-New Haven route.
    Now we can run Metro North Trains on the other half of their routes,
    Grand Central up the Hudson line to Croton-Harmon.

Also the Amtrak’s Empire connection via Penn Station goes thru the heart of the Westside of
    Manhattan thru many tunnels and open cuts will be a very interesting route to drive.
    Looking forward to this Route!
    Image 1.jpg

heart of the city, on its way up to the Spuyten Duyvil draw bridge. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  29. rare_common_sense

I do have some Questions:

Will GCT get some sort of a facelift? It's too dark. Looks like it's giving the mood of a candle lit dinner vibes.. Better lighting is certainly something it needs.. Amongst some other cosmetic upgrades.

What of the Park Ave Viaduct? Has that been improved on.. There's no gradient changes whatsoever. While it may seem like it's all leveled.. It's not.

As I can see the Trestle housing the 125th street section is still the same. As the barriers are a bit too high.. From a sitting passenger viewpoint.. You can sit in your seat and still see the the street level below.

And speaking of the streets. For an area that is mostly aligned.. How are the grids off. Even when you enter 125th train station. You can't tell which road it is.. Because it's cut off, or the alignment isn't correct.

I mean.. Google map implementation has been a thing for years now. Even before NYNH was released nearly 5yrs ago. What's up?!

I'd like to know that if this is a standalone has there been any notable improvements?

• Like Like x 1
  30. JoeTransit

JoeTransit Member

Amazing news! Can't wait to play, despite my shared disappointment that only Croton-Harmon will be implemented. I mean, an extension to Poughkeepsie would only allow for even more realistic express (both Amtrak and Metro-North) services that stop more between Poughkeepsie & Croton-Harmon and less between the latter and GCT. Nevertheless, I am sure I will be completely stuck on this route for a loooooooooooooong while :) lol

• Like Like x 3
  31. StevenJam

StevenJam Member

Can someone at DTG confirm or deny if this route has the same origin as New York to New Haven? It could be interesting to have a merged route on workshop or something.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

This route looks pretty solid just from the screenshots! Can't wait for this route to drop!

• Like Like x 1
  33. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I am really looking forward to the release of this route

• Like Like x 1
  34. E.j.

E.j. Member

I second that motion. I would an awesome addition to the New Haven and the Hudson line. Then maybe we could get that extension to Poughkeepsie, NY. I'm definitely adding this to my collection. My collection would be more complete with some of the older stock.

35. BVERailer

BVERailer Member

For those who want an extension to Poughkeepsie, I have good news for you;
    A friend of mine (experienced route builder, creator of the Metro-North/Conrail Beacon Line), says he plans to build an extension to Poughkeepsie. So we’ll get it eventually.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. John Murphy

That's really cool and I wish him the best of luck. But frankly I believe that this is something DTG needs to do. They've cheated us out of stuff like this many times before and they need to make it up to us. I personally don't think the route is worth $40 if they don't give us Poughkeepsie. That would be like if they only gave us the New Haven Line as far as Stamford. At least they didn't do it for TSW. If that were the case, it only would have gone as far as Yonkers or something. 1 Amtrak train to Penn Station and maybe 2 MN trains to GCT per hour in service mode.

• Like Like x 1
  37. BVERailer

BVERailer Member

Totally agree. However, since it is unlikely DTG will make an extension anytime soon, this may be our only option.

38. rare_common_sense

To a small degree. I agree with what you’re saying. But I think you tend to exaggerate your claims and conclusions. If this was in fact done in TSW. It would have been the same length. Although they say 60miles. That’s only because because of the branches. Otherwise it’s really only about somewhere in the mid 30’s in mileage.

But, rumor has it. They’re allegedly short-staffed and allocating their resources more towards TSW. I’m guessing when they manage to get around completing more the route, that they will also finally supply some older versions of the shoreline coaches and cabs for MNCR.

And hopefully somewhere in between that time. They’ll also supply the more iconic pieces of equipment M1/2/3/4/6’s for the Hudson, New Haven, and if dare also give us some sufficient mileage on the Harlem line as well.

39. BVERailer

BVERailer Member

Hoping that the George Washington Bridge and the Tappan Zee (I’ll always call it the Tappan Zee) will be made somewhat accurate

• Like Like x 3
  40. NJT Railfan

That is one of the biggest things I am looking foward to on this route! I wonder if the route will have the new or old Tappan Zee Bridge.

• Like Like x 1
  41. John Murphy

Hey, if he puts in on Workshop and it's free, I'll gladly get it.

42. John Murphy

No excuse and no mercy. DTG needs a good kick in the rear after all the crap they've put us through. You charge me ridiculous prices for this stuff, I want the best and the most I can get. Otherwise, I'm not interested and I'll put my money towards other things.

Just the sheer fact that they're cutting the route at Croton Harmon when this game is capable of going to Poughkeepsie or even all the way to Albany just proves that they're being cheap, cost cutting, and trying to rush production of the route purely out of laziness and greediness. I don't care if it's just 1 person. I'm not paying $40 for a short route when this game can handle so much more. Even 32 bit could handle Poughkeepsie, so nobody even try making the excuse that they're just trying to make a route for both 64 and 32 bit.

• Like Like x 1
  43. NJT Railfan

The George Washington looks amazing and the Tappan Zee looks decent other than the bridge supports.

• Like Like x 1
  44. horrido

horrido New Member

I'm disappointed that this DLC, having so much of previous released content in it, has not been released under the "complete your collection" scheme with a substantial discount. I already own the CSX SD40-2, the CSX Genset, and both the MCNR P32 AC-DM and shoreliners; a part of the line is already in the NEC NY-NH route... I can't feel other than having to pay twice for lot of the content.
    Furthermore, the line is too short, and should have been prolonged to Albany or at least Poughskeepie. Seeing how it went for previous routes releases by Dovetail, the line will probably be lengthened to the length it should originaly have been in the future via an extension to rake more sales.
    I'll then have to wait till this route is extended up to Poughskeepie, and is sold at a 75 % discount to eventually buy it, as I don't feel like I want to buy twice the Genesis, SD40-2 and Genset a second time at full price.

• Like Like x 2
  45. rare_common_sense

I agree on the length. That is THE biggest drawback about the route. However, "Complete My Collection" wouldn't have worked. Also, They're not going to supply you with the same locos in the extension on top of what is already in the first version, if all they're going to do is extend the route. Now they may provide other coaches, liveries or possibly a new loco, but of course, they will offer the price based on what is offered in the extension.

Take the Holyhead route for Example. That extension is only $12USD. And the reason being is because all they did, was extend the route, No locos came with it, but one still needs to have the original route for it to work. You guys love making ill-conceived assumptions, and not pay enough attention to their business model.

• Like Like x 1
  46. JACKattack320

JACKattack320 New Member

This is so exciting!!! Been waiting for this route for SO LONG. However, like many fellow members have been saying, it’s a little disappointing that the line only extends to Croton-Harmon. That’s a mere 30-40 minutes out of the city on the express. I’ve been commuting between Garrison and Harlem 125th/ GCT for several years and some of the most beautiful sections of this line have been ignored. I think we’d all love to see things like the Bear Mtn. Bridge and that stunning view of West Point between Garrison and Cold Spring!! Please please please make an extension to Poughkeepsie soon!

• Like Like x 1
  47. John Murphy

Yeah, they did it purely out of cost cutting and greed. There is no reason why this route shouldn't have gone to Poughkeepsie. I feel as though now they owe us an extension. And forget Poughkeepsie. At this rate, they owe us ALBANY!

• Like Like x 3