Dell Inspirion 3670 Train Simulator Compatibility

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 410nick, Mar 21, 2019.

1. 410nick

410nick Member

Gotta question. I just purchased my first PC for about $800 bucks from the dell site just now and I hope it can do the job. I copied the specs from the page and want you guys to take a look at it. Are these specs good enough? If not what type of hardware or software can I add on to it to ensure I can play TS18 or 19. I have train sim world xbox one but I want a little more realism. Thanks in advance.

Inspiron Desktop 3670 (Intel®)

Processor: 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5+8400 processor (9MB Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64bit English

Video Card: Intel® UHD Graphics 630

Memory: 24GB Memory: 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 DRAM + 16GB Intel® Optane™ Memory

Hard Drive: 3.5" 1TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

Processor Branding: Intel® Core™ i5 Processor Label for Optane SSD/memory

Driver: Dell SRV Software 1707 Driver

• Like Like x 1
  2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

The bad news is that the lack of a discrete GPU will throttle TS on this system which, otherwise, should be more than adequate (the UHD Graphics mentioned is integrated with the CPU and shares main memory- suitable for playing videos and running presentations but not meant for games). It's not clear if the system has slots for a graphics card but others in the same range do. TS, as has been mentioned elsewhere, is a fairly old program now and doesn't take best advantage of new hardware so even a fairly basic GPU will make a big difference for it. If you want to play other newer games you will want to raise your sites.

This doesn't mean you have no choice but to get a graphics card BTW- I've had TS running (well... walking) on laptops with only integrated chipsets and it does work. You would need to turn down the graphics settings and can expect slow downs where the scenery gets dense and less than stellar frame rates at the best of times but it's better than nothing.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 410nick

410nick Member

I appreciate that man. I'm not picky when it comes to graphics. As long as I get to play it on this system even if it's at 30fps I will still be satisfied. Just needed a break from console gaming for awhile. I can at least say I will be apart of the PC community now. Thank you

4. JJTimothy

You're very welcome.

It's worth mentioning that the best of the laptops I mentioned is a few years old now and an i3. Your i5 will be a few generations further along the development road and should perform that bit better. That said I tend to stick to older less demanding routes and you'll be lucky to get 30fps unless you like driving through open countryside a lot- and you will have to dial down the graphics settings. Personally I dislike it when scenery pops into existence in the middle distance or when things are obviously missing so I have Scenery Density and Distance at maximum and everything else on the peg. You can forget about anti-aliasing.

I can find a new graphics card for £50- not a great one but TS can't get much out of a great GPU so a cheap new or second hand card will make a lot of difference. (Someone came up with a very nice analogy in the Steam forums the other day- aircraft designers could only make biplanes that went so fast no matter how much the engines improved. A fundamental rethink introduced monoplanes and saw speeds increase again. In coding terms TS is a biplane- still airworthy but there's no point in fitting a jet engine to one.). If you've got the expansion slot it would be worth putting something in it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. 410nick

410nick Member

So my desktop finally arrived and set up. I must say I am beyond shocked at this system. I'm playing TS19 64 bit with high settings and I'm achieving some decent framerates. The game is awesome and I'm still in the academy since it's my first time. I will still purchase a Gtx 1050 ti graphics card a few weeks from now so I can play some higher end games. Until then I'm satisfied. I can even play OMSI 2 Chicago with a high traffic and pedestrian setting and the framerates only skip every once in awhile. I'm glad I didn't regret my decision. Thanks again man!

6. JJTimothy

Well you're very welcome of course but, from what you say, it seems I may have led you to expect too little from the integrated chipset. Sounds like Intel's come up with something quite useful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

• Like Like x 1