Impossible To Derail A Train?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ethan TX, Mar 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ethan TX

Ethan TX New Member

Hi;
    I wanted to experiment with the new Hudson Line on TS19. Specifically, I was curious about how fast a southbound train could take the Spuyten Duyvil curve. The speed limit is 30 mph. I am sure you are all aware of the horrific crash that occurred there in December 2013 when a train hit the curve going 80 mph.
    So I wanted to find out how realistic TS2019 is in regards to physics.
    In order to accomplish my experiment, I needed to disable ATC (Ctrl-D).
    Well, after my experiments, it looks like it is impossible to derail a train in this sim - at least by overspeed.
    I hit the curve going 90 mph and the train did not leave the rails.

What gives here?
    ET

2. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Ethan, attempting to derail / crash a train is not encouraged. Licenses for loco / train branding are issued to train sim developers on the understanding that the owner or operators' branded stock will not be abused or misrepresented. The real life train operators do not approve of their brand liveried trains - represented in train sim - being used in crash scenarios, as they consider this may shed a negative light on their real train safety or security.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I've dumped a class 33 in the Swale on the Sheerness extension by doing 90MPH round a shallow banked curve just before the bridge.
    Derailing is definitely possible, though maybe not how it would be in real life

4. Ethan TX

Ethan TX New Member

Interesting. I seem to recall asking a similar question over in the Trainz forum several years ago, and received a similar answer, although nothing as specific as licensing that you stated.
    I understand, and respect that, but it was never my intention to create an arcade type scenario from TS19 (or T:ANE or whatever sim). I have been very curious ever since that tragic morning in December 2013, especially since I am a frequent (but not regular) rider of that line.

So, I guess if I really want to do crash sims, I need to get a job with the NTSB and run it on their software. Actually, that would be a pretty interesting job, but I don't have any of the qualifications for that type of work.

BTW: I do have a question about the real-life Hudson Line.
    The speed limits. Does the speed really drop from 75 to 45 (running south) at CP12, then go back up to 75 for the short distance to the 30 mph curve at Spuyten Duyvil? Before they installed PTC, it would seem a recipe for disaster.

5. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

So, they prefer to do it themselves?

6. Brutalist Ape

Brutalist Ape Well-Known Member

It is definitely possible to crash on Train Simulator. I've crashed a number of times. You have to be going extremely fast though. Typically one can expect to come off the rails at speeds of around 90mph and higher if you hit a sharp enough curve. One instance where this is possible is on the Riviera line near Dawlish and Teignmouth. There are some curves there where you will come off the track if you are going too fast.

7. ARuscoe

I derailed yesterday... Doing a HST divert scenario I hit a set of 40MPH points doing about 80... managed the first curve fine, second curve tipped it over.

8. Brutalist Ape

Brutalist Ape Well-Known Member

This happened when I entered the platform at Falmouth too fast (I was going about 60mph when I hit the end of the line)

20170917151114_1.jpg

9. ARuscoe

I see a possible "picture of the week" theme in our future :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

You can derail in this simulation - In most cases you get a pop up message stating the fact you have derailed then the scenario ends.

11. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Very quickly -- probably to prevent taking a screenshot.

12. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

I think I saw in the developer documents that changing the center of mass to a negative value will make it impossible for a train to derail by going around a curve too fast. Maybe the engine in question has a negative center of mass?

13. devdd960

devdd960 New Member

Which parameter is that?? How to Change the Centre of Mass to negative value??? Any brief explanation...or can you pls tell which section of developer docs its given???

14. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Investigate the following trains:
    • DB ICE 1 - This is designed to run around Hagen-Siegen at really high speeds
    • Alco RS-11 PRR - I managed to topple it during a Johnstown-Altoona quick drive which involves an unmarked switch
    Old trains in general were tolerant to all that, including the entire BR fleet, as the original (2007) routes (and later like Horseshoe) have a lot of very tight turns and switches, often not marked, and of course no superelevation (track tilting). There are also issues with pathing which can randomly take your train into a siding, on Hagen-Siegen at Kreuztal northbound, on the ECML at Durham southbound, on the GWML somewhere past Reading towards London. And then many designers decided to remain compatible.

Also, while I didn't derail them, loaded coal cars (and old double stacks) have a tendency to tilt. Both the Kuju ones and DTM.
    In comparison, the Canadian Mountain Passes ones do so a lot less.

There are no spectacular derail physics anyway. Point of the above, investigate the config of these trains to see how they behave.

15. Spikee1975

Spikee1975 Well-Known Member

I think I've found the reason why the Kuju\RailSimulatorUS doublestacks tend to tilt and derail quickly.

Their bogie blueprints are missing the suspension stiffness and damping parameters (that's why they're not tilting to the center again, the only force acting on them is the g force, no suspension present to counteract). Should be easy to fix :) So like most of the time, it's not an issue with the game but with how content was made. (Though it may well be the blueprint definition got expanded later, after Cajon Pass was done for RailSimulator.)

I'll upload a pack to trainsimcommunity.com that fixes all bogies in the Kuju US Asset pack.

Basically it's adding these two lines to each bogie blueprint
    2023-12-29 15_32_03-.png

So to add to the topic - the physics in TSC are good - if the rolling stock is set up with correct data.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I was bored one day and ran a Voyager on the Pacific Surfliner: Los Angeles - San Diego. The Class 221 tilts and I wanted to see how fast I could run it but there is a sharp curve just before San Clemente going south and it tipped over when I was looking at the map.

17. devdd960

devdd960 New Member

Can you give any idea how to make derailments impossible for a particular rolling stock??? I really want to enjoy high speeds w/o worrying about any derailments

18. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you want to drive fast pick a fast route
    Munich - Augsburg allows up to 280kmh.
    And LGV Rhone Alps allows up to 330 kmh - do a Quick Drive and you won't see a red signal

19. Spikee1975

Spikee1975 Well-Known Member

Not supporting the idea of turning a sim into an arcade racer - but it's your game and you're free to do what you want with it.

You would need to edit each loco/wagon blueprint of your consists and lower the <EaseOfDerailment> value to zero, which is below the coupler pivot matrices in the files.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024