PlayStation Thoughts On Tsw After Two Months From Purchase.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by 52hahgz, May 6, 2019.

1. 52hahgz

52hahgz New Member

Hello

I'm new to the community. I'm going to write some random thoughts about TSW, after two month of usage. I purchased most extra content; the only one I did't buy is the West Somerset because trains are definitively too slow.
    This is a great game and the people at Dovetail deserve a big thank you! Nevertheless I found some sizeable bugs and issues maybe some of you guys already wrote about or maybe not; unfortunately I do not have enough time to go through the whole forum. Anyway, here is what I noticed:

"General" issues:
    1) lack of basic tutorials on safety systems, let alone thorough ones. The only tutorial users can get is "this is the brake, this is the accelerator, these are the lights. Enjoy!". Some of these systems are "intuitive", others (like the german one) are not. Although I'm a train enthusiast, I'm a not a train engineer. I had to look for manuals and feedbacks on the web myself. Not a big issue, but a little more help from Dovetail would have been appreciated. Moreover, a basic tutorial on signalling would have been appreciated as well.

2) too dark at night. I don't understand how the "world" in TSW can be so dark at night. No lights whatsoever. No streetlights, not a single window lit, all stations in total darkness. How can it be? People at Dovetail forgot about it? Is it going to be fixed in a future release?

3) Lack of voice announcements and working electronic boards in stations.

4) people standing on platform waiting for trains without umbrellas under heavy rain or wearing just a light sweater during a snow storm.

"Specific" issues:

5) tight schedules on the train-pennine. When driving uphill I'm constantly at 100% throttle (locos and dmu) but I'm struggling. Not falling behind the schedule is really hard. Was it so in the real world back in the days?

6) lack of timetable for passenger services on the Main-Spessart bahn. Come on! How is it possible? What's the point in running a passenger service without a timetable?

7) Long Island: the speed limit for getting in and out of the Atlantic terminal is just 5 mph. Is it so in real life too?

I hope you guys can answer these question.

Poeple at Dovetail: keep up with the good job!

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

That is a greatly written post. As someone who also bought TSW a few months back and who has spent a lot of time with it, I can agree with a lot of these things. I’m glad your enjoying and welcome to the forums!

• Like Like x 1
  3. thom_heg

thom_heg New Member

You are pinpointing all the things I have been thinking of. Great post!

4. Crochunter1970

Crochunter1970 Active Member

Good points. The darkness at night is a good point. Would like to see brighter house lights at least. Still, love this game. Love to see it develop.

5. richard cooper

richard cooper Active Member

I agree excellent post. As he says it is far to dark at night, also when did you see so many stars, all of the same brilliance, have the developers never heard of light pollution

6. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Is that a joke?

7. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I found this post searching for the exact same question. Turns out, yeah, the speed limit really is 5mph. What's more, seems like 10mph is a really reckless speed to take through that dull station approach! - https://www.longislandpress.com/201...ooklyn-crash-traveled-double-the-speed-limit/ :o

8. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Signalling and Safety systems are incredibly complex and really don't work in in-game tutorials because of the need to react quickly and handle what happens if the player then doesn't react properly - the "positive" path (if the player does everything right) of the tutorial would be challenging, but handling all the "negative" paths (i.e. if the player does anything wrong) would be a real problem. What we're looking at here is a series of video tutorials that talk through each signalling system and then how the relevant safety systems work together with them. You can't really talk about one without the other. Video also means it can be a lot more condensed, jumping right to the next signal aspect to describe it.

You will however find fairly extensive documentation on signalling systems in the various manuals for add-ons, as well as safety systems, particularly for the German routes, that should help you get to grips with them fairly easily.

Matt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Bamz2317

Bamz2317 Member

Im not sure why theres mo time table for msb, it might have something to do with the amount of services.
    Atlantic terminals speed limit is correct i think. Jamaica station has a 5mph limit too.
    Ntp has very steep grades so you have to constantly speed up and down. British rail was run down in 1983 not sure if there trains ran on time but no many trains do unless your in Japan etc.
    Msb and rsn have station announcements