Tsw: Thornaby Thrash

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, May 7, 2019.

1. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Ah, ok. Very informative. Still no sign of 3 car units, and it seems a lot easier to find pictures of the 143 on the route, suggesting that while the 101's were still in service, they weren't all that common.

Thanks for the info!

• Like Like x 2
  2. raildan

Guys- just made an interesting discovery. I just discovered two additional imagesa that were not included in the article. I noticed that, in the file names of the images, "0007" was skipped. So I went to the direct address of the image (right click -> open image in new tab) and changed the number at the end to 0007. Lo and behold, some more 37's:
    [​IMG]
    But that wasn't all- out of curiosity, I also tried "0009" and yes, I did get a result:
    [​IMG]

So, why are these two pictures hidden? I don't know, they don't really contain any extra information as far as I can tell. It's entirely likely they just thought it was too many images for the article or just forgot about them. The last one could have been left out to avoid any confusion that this route might have gone up to Bishop Auckland. Am I completely convinced? Of course not. I would analyze the heck out of these, but I don't have the time right now, so oh well. Maybe picture 7 is on the other side of the river? It would be interesting if they included that area, kind of like MSB.

• Like Like x 7
  3. raildan

Oh, I almost forgot- here are some downloaded copies of the files in case they take them down.
    TVL_0007.jpg TVL_0009.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  4. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have delved into my 1989 Ian Allan Platform 5 book which would be correct to the end of 1988.

Pacerwise Heaton had all the 143's including a few in Tyne and Wear metro yellow livery as well as those in Provincial two tone blue and a few 142's in WR Chocolate and Cream which would have been the batch banished from Devon and Cornwall due to the wheel flange wear (and noise IIRC) on the branchlines around there.

On the first generation DMU front it states the only the class 108 twin sets retained fixed formations. However whilst there are some class 101 driving motor vehicles allocated to Heaton I cannot see one trailer vehicle (centre carriage) in fact by then many centre carriages were being withdrawn, especially in areas where first generation DMU's were running along side second generation stock to help them maintain the timings of the new stock. In the West Midlands we still had three and four coach DMU's into the early 90's the latter were very slow climbing Old Hill bank and I remember a driver saying to me you definitely knew when you had a set with one engine not functioning!

So really DTG do have it the wrong way round. In 1983 on NTP three carriage sets would have been more common (alongside two carriage sets) but in 1989 it appears you would not have seen a three carriage class 101 on the TVL but probably Pacers alongside class 101's and presumably class 108's (nudge nudge wink wink DTG)!

Hopefully one day (for those of us who like to be as accurate as possible) we can address this in the editor unless DTG do so themselves.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  5. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

I personal just find some of there choices around LODs & Tree usage on MSB for example when compared with RSN to be going backwards, its more that they become noticeable enough when driving that i look at it and go wow those trees are bad. That for me is just a bit immersion breaking.
    Totally agree however the routes are well detailed for the most part however stations i would have thought to be as much a hero piece as the locos them selves and that pic .. sure work in progress and all that, but Darlington just looks flat and very basic on the left hand side to me especially where the roof join is, Or if you compare the tower ? sorry not sure what its called..to any reference picture the in-game representation is just a pyramid ..

Example:
    CaptureDarlington_ingame.PNG CaptureDarlington1.PNG

Yes i am nit picking :P

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Picture 7 looks like Thornaby yard because of that giant light pole that isn't anywhere else. Picture 9 looks like their attempt to add trains with destinations that are not on the map to make things seem more alive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

A massive thanks for the "Spoiler" cover up. Is that an option with images only?

8. raildan

Nope- text also. Just didn't occur to me before that people might actually view these things as spoilers until you mentioned it a bit earlier.

• Like Like x 1
  9. raildan

Well, like I said, I can see the problems with Darlington Station... and with MSB vs. earlier routes, I feel like quality hasn't gone down, per se, just shifted from the trees to the trackside detail. But IDK about that.

10. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

There were some hidden screenshots of the Class 52 which weren't used in it's article too. We usually just post these hidden ones in the news section on discord regardless.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

May well make a new thread on not spoiling new DTG content..would be really nice.

12. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

your definition of spoilers is ridiculous

• Like Like x 1
  13. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

No, it's more the fact that "Spoiler" was on the images, excellent...and not even my doing...so the DTG server being ridiculous!

14. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Hello, do you have the full size, non zoomed version of this image? Thanks.

15. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Darlington_railway_station_MMB_26.jpg Darlington_railway_station_MMB_28_220023.jpg

16. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Probably nothing more than a sunday service to the seaside. "ice cream sundae" and "sunday" making the pun

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

agreed thats a 101 scenario pretty sure

18. ARuscoe

19. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Oh ok

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  20. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Would have been nice to just know the release date. That would have been a nice start to the weekend

• Like Like x 2
  21. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

Lets be honest that's hardly going to be the problem with TSW at the moment is it, you will either have the dependencies or you don't, as there is not that much available at the moment also to avoid having to search for stuff you dont have you can of course make your own scenarios anyway. ;)

22. ARuscoe

If you pay for something and it comes with scenarios I kind of want them to work... Everyone shouts at DTG for the constant money flywheel but not the others who do exactly the same

• Like Like x 1
  23. davejc64

Who mentioned having to pay for scenarios all I meant was the editor being available would give new/existing routes and loco dlc extra value in a sense since people could make more use of them.

• Like Like x 1
  24. ARuscoe

Me.
    But as usual this is a huge derail

25. davejc64

Indeed.

26. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

I hope there will be delivery action like in the aggregate industries scenario on GWE. (And hopefully not only one scenario).

It will be so nice to deliver the coal to the steel plants and to drive heavy loaded steel products trains away from the steel plants.

And the humming noise from the diesel engine of the class 37 I will like so much.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I hope the unloading/loading aspects are part of service mode instead of any scenario to be honest. It would be great to shunt, load, drive, unload and return continuously.

• Like Like x 4
  28. theorganist

Yes that is what I am wondering. Hope the freight services in service mode aren't literally just pick up a engine and wagons in the siding and take them to the other end of the line. I am very interested to see what part the 08 shunter will play in service mode.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  29. Crochunter1970

Crochunter1970 Active Member

Are we looking at the next week or two for this to be released?

30. ARuscoe

No release date that I have seen as yet

31. LTEcactus

LTEcactus Active Member

I imagine soon, but probably not this week.
    Probably a week on Thursday

32. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Looks like there will be something for everyone: freight hauling, shunting, and passenger service. How long do I have to save up some dough ofr this promising gem?

• Like Like x 4
  33. Irascible_SAP

Irascible_SAP Member

As a native of Darlington, I really hope that the "3 Spires" of Darlington (Banktop Station clock, St Cuthbert's Church, & Darlington's famous Victorian Market Clock) are going to be depicted. They have not been depicted on any route containing D/ton in TS2019 which is disappointing because those 3 spires plus the horrible eyesore 1970's skyscraper on Northgate roundabout, are the first things you see/recognise IRL as you approach Darlington on the train, especially from the south. So it would be a really lovely surprise to see them depicted in this route :)

I also am disappointed that the pacer will not be included, as the class 101 was long gone from the Bishop Auckland - Saltburn service by the time 1989 rolled around.
    I'm no expert, but to my own personal memory, 2 car pacer units (142's) had been serving that diagram for years at that point I don't ever remember seeing a 101 when we used to go to Redcar for the day.
    However I can easily be appeased by someone official saying "we do plan on giving you a class 142, but its not ready so here's the 101 to tide you over in the meantime..." ;)

But please, do the 3 spires! (pretty please? cherry on top?)

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  34. theorganist

I don't know Darlington but I certainly hope those three landmarks are there. There does appear to be some photographic evidence to suggest it wasn't impossible to see a class 101 on that route in 1989 albeit likely very rarely, maybe on a Pacer substitution.

I remember a article (Motive Power Monthly or Rail magaine) from around then entitled "Rusty but Trusty" it was an article about how BR's 30 year old DMU fleet was getting BR Provincial sector out of trouble when the second generation Pacers and Sprinters were having reliability problems.

• Like Like x 1
  35. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Exactly
    But I think the route will still be good

36. rhysdabeast0011

rhysdabeast0011 Member

Wouldn't be surprised if they add the 142 as another dlc.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Rail Master

Rail Master Active Member

Paid Loco, until release the game? We have a reused class 101 and a modified 09 by SimuGraph and finally a new class 37? Please, we need a Pacer in the base route with 43 km!

38. LastTrainToClarksville

The original route, CSX, includes two working loaders, but only one of them appeared in a scenario; we can hope for loading/unloading possibilities and also some shunting (ahem! TSW creators!); otherwise, we'll have to wait for the editor to come along. I fully agree that activities such as shunting and loading far outstrip simple passenger or freight, even those freight activities that begin or end with a coupling maneuver. Fingers crossed!!!

• Like Like x 1
  39. LastTrainToClarksville

Clever pun or typo? I'm guessing the latter, since a month's ides fall on the 15th.

40. LastTrainToClarksville

Prefer away, but eventually users propose; Dovetail disposes.

41. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

just start telling DTG we'd like historic routes - theyll start pumping out the modern content in no time

• Like Like x 2
  42. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

Actually laughed out loud at this for some reason

• Like Like x 1