Shadows Transition Distance

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by geloxo, May 26, 2019.

1. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Hi,

This effect is driving me crazy since the game release, but now it´s extremely ugly in flat routes such as the new Tees Valley. Basically default settings turn off shadows casting on terrain at around 200m ahead of train… Same happens to fog as well. It appears as if you were inside a bubble with shadows active only inside it. How can I increase the shadow distance in engine.ini so that shadows in terrain are seen from far away? I have all ingame settings to max now.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. WiSchmo

WiSchmo Active Member

3. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Thanks. I already checked it yesterday. The tweaks are not working. You can reduce the viewdistance but not increase it. Seems as if the x2 distance proposed in the thread had been now included in the new patch as new default value for the game.

There is something else that is capping the trees shadow rendering distance and the overall shadows distance I would say, and it's not trees LOD setting nor shadows resolution as far as I have tested. That mistery setting is the one thar creates the bubble effect around you, which caps the trees shadows and therefore reproduces the ugly effect seen on the picture where shadows suddenly disappear with even no transition at all between the dark and illuminated areas.

Can any developer please guide us in the right direction please? I really think it's a pitty that we can not simply increase the value to another 200m or 300m just to get rid of the uggly effect. It ruins the whole scene...

Cheers

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

I recall on Discord that someone said the shadow distance is the max it can possibly go on this build of Unreal Engine. To increase it would require porting things over to a newer build of UE, and this is something that DTG do not have the resources to do at this time. In summary, this is as good as it'll get for now until they decide to port.

5. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Not good news, but that makes sense according to the test results.

Thanks for sharing it.