Tsw: Whistle While You Work

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, May 21, 2019.

1. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

IMHO if you like british stuff generally you should like it all like i do. Love the old traction not just the modern stuff

• Like Like x 1
  2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Fair enough if you don't own TS1, but these two routes are making quite a change for those who like the 80's. I wouldn't be surprised if the next UK route is more modern so I am sure you won't have to wait too long!

• Like Like x 1
  3. theorganist

Well yes that route recreated on TSW would be a boon, probably for me the climate of TSW. I can imagine watching countless holiday expresses passing along the Dawlish sea wall, you could really recreate train spotting from the 50's if you had something near the variety of loco's which ran on the route. Plus the variety of trains and services to drive from auto coaches on the Brixham branch, pick up goods, stopping trains, expresses going to all parts of the country. All that in service mode would be great. It is certainly my joint favourite route in TS1 and I quite enjoy making scenarios for it despite the despatcher!

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Unfortunately if DTG hadn't done what they have and made similar era routes and stock you would have one loco or consist per route, and maybe five routes where all you can do is go up, and back. No variety, no other units on the lines.
    One of the things that they should be applauded for is the subsitution system and that additional DLC can be swapped in without major work on the scenario or service itself. That's something that isn't possible in TSx, but will be the norm for TSW

Yes, we are waiting for US routes, waiting for modern british, waiting for steam...
    IN TSx we don't have every major rail terminal in London modelled, let alone cross-era. So it will take time, and it will likely take more than just DTG, but I would put money on that it WILL come.

• Like Like x 6
  5. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Any chance that there'll be a Class 40 dolled up in green as D200?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

I expect exactly that. Modern multiple units are expensive and time-consuming to make, so I wouldn't expect much more than one new type being included in a modern route.Just look at RT, LIRR or MSB. Rest will come later as loco DLC most likely.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  7. theorganist

There could be a twin green class 40 pack D200 and 40106. 40106 was withdrawn in BR green in 1983 and was never painted in BR blue. In fact when it was overhauled in the late 70's it was repainted into green by Crewe works.

8. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

In reference to the HST. Whilst they were rare on the trans pennine, they were on there, (specials or emergency cover) I wouldnt expect them in player service mode. Apart from AI slots at Leeds, and maybe a scenario or 2 being part of the pack.
    Ie if you have NTP but no HST pack either a 47 passenger covers or no train at all(whichevers easier). Same on TVL at Darlington on the ECML platforms.
    With regards to using them. It would be more of a cross route DLC over any specific one. So a standalone HST pack. Carrying every livery that DTG can get hold of. So from 1978-2006 pre MTU. Not only could we see them in AI traffic on current routes, but by the time its released, the editor may be in full swing. This would give creators something to work with.

9. Rail Master

Rail Master Active Member

So, we won’t pay class 08, only class 40, right?

10. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

7CD51806-DF3D-4C3F-B4B8-ABFCB4FD56AC.jpeg All as one pack 08, 40 and freight so wouldn't think so.
    Is NTP van the same type seen in pic of WSR stock?

11. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Source, or is this just based off of those routes?

Personally I don't see why they'd be any harder to make than an electric loco and a coach, or a DMU of any era, both of which we've seen alongside other rolling stock.

12. Shukiii

"MattPeddlesden 02/14/2019 timescales mostly. a new loco is quite expensive to build, a multiple unit very expensive. with th level of fidelity in them now, there are noshort cuts, so the team have to get manuals, go on reference trips, learn how it works and then spend ages recreating it - not just the model, but all the systems."

"MattPeddlesden 03/14/2019 something like the ice 4 is a huge amount of work to be honest. particularly in tsw - it's not just an end and a bunch of the same coach - i think it's probably at least 5 different coaches, and when you're modelling interiors too they become a lot more substantial to make."

• Like Like x 3
  13. raildan

Huh. That second quote is probably just referring to how to model the ICE 4 in particular you would have to model a bunch of different coaches separately, which wouldn't be a problem for more most emu's where there are only one or two unique variants.

The first quote though... interesting. He doesn't really explain why, either. Could be that it's just the research effort of a loco and a coach combined, but still interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shukiii

I'm just drawing my own conclusions based on these statements. DTG haven't said anything of that sort, but the DLCs that we already got don't make me hopeful that we'll get much more at $29.99/£24.99/29,99€ .

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Not to mention having to work with the train operating companies. Although TSW’s been seemingly quite successful with DB.

16. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

Yeah the issue of licensing has begun to rear its head - don't draw any conclusions obviously but I do think people will begin to question if they're struggling to get any soon. The lack of any real UK TOCs aside from GWR (who's TS license expires this year) makes you wonder sometimes If TOCs just aren't bothered about working with DTG

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cheesypuff2

if thats the case its a shame but it is what is i, DTG cant force TOCs to agree, they may just have to do unbranded things instead

18. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

DTG and PC can build the routes scenarios and stock. Repaints and logos for all platforms. It can be done via USB and a detailed edit interface.

19. Shukiii

Indeed. For German content you do not necessarily need more than a DB license and historic British stuff is unproblematic as well. America and the modern UK are very different in that regard though.

The editor PC users will get is just a (heavily) modified UE4 editor, DTG won't actually implement anything ingame. Something like this would have to be created from scratch.

20. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Next time, please start your own thread.

• Like Like x 1
  21. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Good news indeed -- like many others, I've been waiting for this announcement since freight service was promised when the route debuted. The announcement includes, "The BR Class 08 was the ‘go to’ locomotive for general purpose duties, with almost any shunting required in yards and at stations carried out by a ‘Gronk’ (again, named for their noise). Over a ten-year period from 1952, almost 1,000 models were built at British Railways’ Derby, Crewe, Darlington, Doncaster and Horwich Works, making it the most numerous of all BR classes" (my emphasis). Does this indicate that some shunting scenarios or services will be included? For that matter, does this route include any yards?

• Like Like x 1
  22. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

NTP contains the red hill area, Newton heath, a yard near Huddersfield and a yard at Leeds too, so 4 potential areas.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

From Wikipaedia -
    "The Class 700/0 units are formed of DMCO-PTSO-MSO-TSO-TSO-MSO-PTSO-DMCO"
    "Class 700/1 units are formed of DMCO-PTSO-MSO-MSO-TSO-TSO-TSO-TSO-MSO-MSO-PTSO-DMCO"

So each consist has four different car types, and if each has the same internal layout and exterior paintwork you would still need to create four units and join them up in the right order. It could be up to 9 different cars for whatever reason, so it's not just a case of one or two unique variants, there could be quite a few more

24. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Music to my ears that the 40 will sub for the 47/45 on occasion. One of the big plus points of Service mode is that you can leave the driving to the computer. Sit back in the front coach or get camera 3 to a heads out behind the loco and enjoy the thrash with a cold beer or some pizza or both! To me personally there's a whole lot more to the railway than driving and this simulation opens up that extra element of simply being on the platform or the train. I do of course enjoy the driving elements and without them it wouldn't sell but if NTP got a further multiple unit type or two and a couple more loco types such as 37/0 and 25 or a 56 then it's set for pretty much being completely as it was in the early 80s.

What's looking good is the cross use of units/locos from other DLC the 101 and 08 which can cover years of operations.

What I like is the more random stuff generated by the AI as opposed to it being in a scenario which is hand built and if you have created it yourself then you already know what's happening.....

• Like Like x 3
  25. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

You going to have a flail?! There's an idea. AI bashers and spotters with a flail sim add on. A "Gricer" pack.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  26. theorganist

Yes I totally agree with this. With a few more items of DLC you really could get lost in the past, trainspotting in the early 80'a. I like driving but find I spend nearly as much time riding and train spotting.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Indeed! The sim has so much potential, I mean, imagine in the future being able to do guard duties, being able to walk into a signal box and taking over control of the signals.....

I really do hope they do implement PIS on station monitors with station and on board announcements in the near future and able to have it on our current routes too

The sim is really starting to come on now, hopefully the steam fans will get their kettle in the not too distant future!

• Like Like x 2
  28. raildan

https://twitter.com/railsimulator/status/1135556500137676800?s=09

Totally called it!

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Hopefully, this DLC will be the best thing to happen to TSW yet. Yes, well done raildan, although probably digging a bit too hard though tbh...

• Like Like x 3
  30. raildan

Yeah, probably. Believe it or not, I like "digging deep" into that kind of thing, and do it all the time when I'm bored. Yes, I know I'm crazy, lol.

31. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Any ideas on the price?

32. raildan

No, not really. We haven't really seen a pack like this before in TSW. Maybe it will be the same price as a loco pack, maybe a bit higher. IDK

33. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Nice call raildan

Looking fwd to this, just hope its not only so much as 'carry cars from Leeds to Manc or carry cars from Manc to Leeds'

34. raildan

Well, there's an 08 in the pack, so I'm assuming there's at least some switching...

35. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

I am guessing somewhere between 11.99 - 14.99 as mentioned earlier.
    I wonder how many scenarios and services will be included?

36. Pensfanvw

Pensfanvw Member

Can't wait for this. Excellent news! Looking forward to some shunting!

Alan

37. claire.brown1604

claire.brown1604 New Member

6th June it releases

38. Ninetofive925

Ninetofive925 Well-Known Member

Released on D-Day then.

D-Day meaning Diesel-day of course

• Like Like x 4
  39. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it, was hoping it would pop out last week as my shifts were better, never mind shall have a dabble anyhow on Thursday.

40. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

Raildan dig up some US info lol

• Like Like x 1
  41. raildan

I wish, lol

42. Cheesypuff2

£11.99 according to a reply on the twitter post

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. raildan

• Like Like x 2
  44. Cheesypuff2

• Like Like x 2
  45. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Its stag do season. So yes great price!

46. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Is this the uk price or usa price?

47. raildan

UK, US is $19.99

• Like Like x 1
  48. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

Awesome. Will be deffo picking this up

49. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

why are they announcing releases on twitter they also did this with TVL. are the forums not good enough now for letting us know when they are releasing stuff. for information i do not have or use twitter.

• Like Like x 7
  50. Pensfanvw

Pensfanvw Member

I agree 100% with you Dave. This is their forum. Why not announce their releases here to?

Alan

• Like Like x 5