PC Tsw Northern Trans-pennine Br Class 101 Missing Brake Sounds,

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by angrywhopper1993, Jun 8, 2019.

1. angrywhopper1993

angrywhopper1993 New Member

Heyy fellow trainsimmers!

I just love to drive the BR class 101 from Manchester to Leeds and back! there is just 1 annoying thing going on, the air flowing sounds for the brakes are gone :(
    When i 1st bought the DLC back in December 2018 the sounds where there but after a few updates they where gone.

anyone else having this issue? is there a fix to this?

thanks for your help!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. hightower

hightower Guest

I find they come and go and I believe that unfortunately it’s a current limitation of the UE4 sound engine. It’s not just on NTP.

When the game is demanding a lot of the engine, it seems to shed some sounds and sadly this is one of them. DTG will fix it I’m sure, but I suspect it will only be when there is a major upgrade to the game engine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rhysdabeast0011

rhysdabeast0011 Member

Ntp has had a-lot of bugs recently to do with sounds so i'm hoping a patch will be released soon to fix them

• Like Like x 1
  4. angrywhopper1993

too bad, it's really weird to operate it without these crucial sounds.
    now i get confused of what the brake tap is doing haha :D

5. angrywhopper1993

before this post i did another run with the BR class 101 from Leeds to Manchester,
    this time everything worked fine and all the sounds where there. indeed UE4 limitations. :)
    [​IMG]

6. rhysdabeast0011

rhysdabeast0011 Member

Ah might just happen occasionally then.

7. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

If you feel confident messing with Ini files you could try editing the line AudioQualityLevel=0 or 1 or 2. The default is 1. I saw a YouTube video explaining the options. If DTG have set it up then you can have =0 as a low number of sound channels, say 16 channels, =1 is medium say 24 channels and 2 = high for 32 channels. The more channels the more sounds can play at once. The AudioQualityLevel setting is found in the GameUserSettings.ini in the Mygames/TS2Prototype/Saved/Config/WindowsNoEditor
    Try setting to 0 see if it helps sounds not cut out. I set mine to 2 and noticed I could hear the ambient sounds such as the ambulance siren and the sound of the class 40 together at Manchester Victoria station. Where as before I could not hear the ambient sounds And the class 40. Always make a backup of the ini file first. And your mileage may vary.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
  8. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

KMAN - thanks for sharing that little tid-bit. With all the tweaks I have used, somehow I had missed the AudioQualityLevel value. When I checked on my GameUserSetting.ini it was set to "0" - switched it to "2" and what a noticeable difference.

9. Pensfanvw

Pensfanvw Member

Thanks Kman, I set it from 0 to 2 and it made a noticeable difference.

10. angrywhopper1993

Thanks KMAN

what a (train sim) world of difference indeed! :)

11. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys I am glad it helped.

12. Darthtool

Darthtool Member

this is interesting, my setting was already set to 3?.. i will test 2 and report back on any changes.

no changes on either setting, i still get sound bugging out.

"Driving Rain" scenario the exterior soundscape still follows into the cab right from the start.

sounds bug out more when using Rain/blizzard conditions because of the extra sound sources in use.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  13. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

You could try a very low setting like =0 it will reduce the number of sound channels. But the sounds are a known bug area. I only get sound issues on the GWE. Not noticed any issues with TVL, NTP or WSR (Rarely play)

14. Darthtool

Darthtool Member

setting audioqualitylevel=2 actually causes sounds to dissapear on Tvl class 37, use the 08:00 scunthorpe service to test with the class 37 and you'll likely notice the diesel engine sound is missing.

going back to level =1 brings it back again.

the Engine just cannot handle more than a few channels it seems, pretty bad.. cant say ive ever had this problem with any Unreal based game before.

(note: the Quality steps are determined by the options that Dovetail selected in the Ue4 editor, so setting 1 may well be the only one that actually has correct channels assigned to it.)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  15. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

I can confirm the same effect. But no difference to the Class 101 or Gronk. Only the sounds for the 37. There may only be single setting for the quality of the 37 sounds. The sound level quality seems asset dependent. I get a better sound quality on NTP when set to 2. Better Ambient + Class 40 sounds. If I set to 1 the ambient sounds don't seem to play at the same time for me.

16. Pensfanvw

Pensfanvw Member

I noticed this issue to. Setting audio quality to one solved it. I'll just keep it at one. Originally it was set to zero.

17. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

I will vary mine depending on the routes and locos I will use.

18. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Noticed this happen to the 45s horn with freight wagons. I also find this particular issue prevalent on the GWE route. Lots of sounds going on Im guessing. Causing some loco sounds to be inconsistent.

19. angrywhopper1993

the class 166 on GWE sometimes sounds like a F-16 jet fighter, barging through the sound barrier when passing under a bridge :o

• Like Like x 1
  20. Darthtool

Darthtool Member

If you open the train window during the F-16 like reverb overload the sound engine bugs out entirely and your stuck with the loud exterior sounds..

does it in a few tunnels on the NTP route.