Game Crash(changing Between Different Routes)!

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by pantherz, Feb 13, 2019.

1. pantherz

pantherz Active Member

Hi!

If I change between different routes/missions(5-6) the game crashes.
    Why is it doing like that?
    I have no workshops installed at all.
    Deleted those I had before because I had lot of problems with the game(Could not start the game.It crashed).
    Sometimes I had to reinstall the whole game(My saved missions got deleted too).

Today I also had to reinstall teh whole game because everytime when I wanted to start first mission of Big Boy it crashed after it was saved but now it seems to work well.

Why do I have such problem with Train Simulator?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Submit a ticket to DTG, get the logging system and DXDIAG done ahead of time to speed things up

3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

What are your system's spec's? I noticed similar problems on the laptop I've been using recently while my usual system is at the vets. I put it down to it being only just capable of running TS its biggest failing being a lack of memory.

4. ARuscoe

Another possibility is that TS doesn't properly UNLOAD the route and consists when you exit the scenario, which would mean that eventually your computer would run out of memory. You can check this by having task manager running and watch the process memory usage for TS

5. pantherz

pantherz Active Member

Should this computer not be enough for Train Simulator?

• Windows 10 Home 64
    • Intel® Core™ i7-8700K (3,7 GHz basfrekvens, upp till 4,7 GHz med Intel® Turbo Boost-teknik, 12 MB cache, 6 kärnor)
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 (8 GB dedikerat GDDR5X) med NVIDIA® Pascal™-arkitektur
    • 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD och 2 TB 7200 rpm SATA
    • 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)

6. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Unless there's a pretty improbable amount of background business going on hoovering up RAM and clock cycles my suggestion is irrelevant. Now that you've posted your spec's though someone may have some ideas.

7. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Do you play scenarios back-to-back without leaving the game? If so, and I'm guessing, but that could be the problem, running out of memory.

8. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Your specs are more than sufficient for TS2019 - and also for TSW. However, the older TS2019 game engine will be unable to take full advantage of these specs. It may be necessary to exit the game after a few scenarios and then restart the game, in order to clear the cache fully - and as Cat suggests.

Give it a try and see if it helps.

Gordon

9. ARuscoe

I don't think you're getting what we're saying. Think of your PC memory like a glass of water. Each scenario might take up a quarter of the glass, but what if when you finish the scenario not all of the water empties? You start another scenario (which again fails to empty) and eventually your glass is full. Only by shutting down TS will the glass empty again

10. pantherz

pantherz Active Member

So you mean that I have to leave the game everytime I change route?
    That is not a good way to build a game like that.
    First thought it had to do with that I was playing 32-bit and not 64.
    Have started to play 64-bit now.
    When I play I do not finish 1 scenario(Career) because some are 2-4 hours long and to play that long is boring.

I already have enough hours when I work(Yes I work as a traindriver) so I know how it is to just sit 4-8 hours driving without take a break.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ARuscoe

If there was a memory hole, 32 bit would make it worse so switching to 64 will alleviate this somewhat

12. ChooChooKeith

ChooChooKeith Active Member

After running long scenarios especially. Clear the cache and restart. That also goes for the being in the editor.

13. First of all it's not the game at fault here! Yes, you may think that you have all the ram in the world to run games free of any issues but the truth is we don't

I have noticed this issue when I loaded TS2019 and a few driving a few scenarios "if you can get in a few" on the same route and then you want to drive on another route your computer has ran out or memory it's that simple! Windows 10 eats rams like a child eating lollies so after playing with TS2019 before loading up another route allow your computer to cool down and let it gain it's memory back by exiting TS2019 or TS20XX and you'd be surprised how much long you can drive for before you exit the game again

If you have other applications running in the background disabling the background use would also help reduce the use of ram
    if you have Cortana running disable it completely it uses over 50 megabites of ram as an example

Optional you can purchase ram to add to your computer but be warned about cheap ram products
    make sure you buy excellent quality ram or manufacture recommended ram products

14. ARuscoe

You start by saying windows 10 is the issue and continue by saying the issue is with TSx.
    In this case windows 10 is NOT the issue, and the issue is with TSx not offloading assets properly when you exit a route, so loading more assets eats up the memory. Totally a TSx issue and NOT a windows one

But the rest is true. If you have LOVE running in the background that you don't need right at that moment then turn it off

• Like Like x 1
  15. No, I disagree with you! I am not saying that the problem is with TS2019! If you read my post correctly, what I am saying is that the problem is with Windows 10 using too much ram, 8GB's doesn't really last long if you do the calculation especially when background applications are running on Windows 10, as I said! Windows 10 eats ram like a child eats lollies is the best way to explain it!

If you open Task Manager, no matter what you open a folder, file, run any application or even when your on the internet the ram is used! If you think for a second it's the hard drive that makes the folders, files, applications or connect to the internet then you are wrong it's all ram related - without ram on a computer obviously the folders, files and applications will try opening but then you will get a message saying OUT OF MEMORY

16. ARuscoe

I've been a computer engineer for about 25 years... So no I don't think that. I also know that the issue with TSx offloading assets from memory goes back to issues with DX9 from windows way before WinX... although I agree with you that WinX has a lot of bloatware as standard. Of course much of those "standard" things can be turned off or uninstalled without penalty for the most part

• Like Like x 1