PC New User (who Read Manuals And Watched Videos) Questions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Dakota, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Dakota

Dakota Member

Hi All -- After my first few Service sessions with CSX Heavy Haul and the AC4400CW loco on Win 10, I have a few questions and issues: If it's not good to combine all of these into one thread, I'm happy to split it into separate ones.
    • How do you get the AI to operate your service without waiting for "a long time" and walk around all over, then have it ask you if you want to give up control?
    • I went back to the second/trail unit and then gave up control to the AI engineer after being asked. I wanted to see the DPU/MU settings (and they were right short hood trail). But then I tried to return to the lead loco and nothing I could do would let me jump back across. The gamepad Y never showed, and E key was non-functional. I opened and closed the chains on both units several times. Is it possible that you cannot cross when you are underway?
    • Why is it that sometimes I have a hard time going up and down the steps along the side of the 4400? Sometime I just can't even get up them. I try the Y key on the game pad and the E key. I run hard, I stop and try, it's hit or miss. It doesn't seem to be related to whether I am next to the rail or the hood. The Y never shows as an option like it does elsewhere.
    • I also had a hell of a time getting into the lead loco cab while underway under AI control. What am I doing wrong? Once it looked like I "squeaked" in there a bit at a time, another time I made a run for it and ended up in the engineer's lap.
    • If I do give up control in a service, sit in the second man seat, then use one of the external cameras, when I press 1 to come back inside (a) The locator dot is gone forever and CTRL-8 will not breing it back and (b) the sound suddenly switches back to outside sound after a few seconds. If you open and close the engineer's window, the external sounds disappear maybe for a while then come back. This never happens if you sit in second man seat and do not use external cameras.
    • I have 4K monitor and GeForce 1070. 1920x1080 looks awful. The IFDs are unreadable from the seat, and other placards are unreadable except close up. So it's 4K 3840x2160 for me, and it looks great. Adjusting the display prefs and advanced stuff to make it look OK or fabulous... it doesn't seem to matter... either way it's running at 30-35fps. Is that good or bad or ??? At 1920x1080 it sits at 60fps regardless. Snow makes it worse. I know this is a universally chronic topic (why won't my $200 used notebook run this game etc.?) so just let me know if I am way off with this setup to expect over 30 fps. I'll take it from there.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  2. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

To your first point: I too anticipate a menu point to just give up control of a train, but till now, there is just the option to wait...
    And to the last point: I have played on a GTX1070 and a 4K monitor till a few weeks ago, i got close to 60fps on maxed settings. Do you play on a desktop card or a laptop? Laptop graphics cards are way less capable than their desktop equivalent.

3. Dakota

Dakota Member

Thank you Sintbert ... Yes it's a desktop tower with SSD and fast memory. Are you running 3840x2160? I wonder what the difference in our systems is?

MyRig.PNG

4. Sintbert

It was a GTX 1070, current driver version and a I7-6600K with 16GB RAM. The game run in the same 3840*2160 @60hz resolution.
    Now i have upgraded to a RTX 2080TI and I9 9900k with 32GB RAM. That has not given me much more fps but less drops below 60fps.

5. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I’m no expert but one would think TSW has some optimisation issues? And by optimisation, I don’t mean by removing scenery but the way things have been coded and designed to run aka the stuff ‘under the hood’.

Even on recommended specs the FPS can tank in places, particularly large areas with lots of tracks and AI. It’s not even like TSW has that of amazing graphics, they’re average at best.

If anything, I think the game is more CPU intensive then it is GPU. Though the game needs to take advantage of extra cores and power. If it isn’t, then upgrading your specs will have little or no impact on the game.

6. Dakota

Dakota Member

Sintbert I just don't understand what the difference might be, but thank you for letting me know that my system is somehow compromised and that I need to look into it.

7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Regarding FPS improvement, have you tried running Windows 10's game mode? When the TSW start screen appears (or any time while TSW is running) press the Windows Key + G.

8. Dakota

Dakota Member

LastTrainToClarksville No, I had no idea!!!

Sintbert - Might I have a look at your TSW settings (incl'g advanced) and your nVidia settings for the game? We (used) to have the same setup (apparently) yet our results are totally different. Something is not the same!! I'll be OK with the nVidia settings for your new video adapter.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  9. Sintbert

[/Script/TS2Prototype.TS2GameUserSettings]
    MouseSensitivity=0.100000
    DisableJunctionDerail=False
    ScreenShotQuality=1
    Measurement=Imperial
    ShowObjectiveMarker=False
    ShowSpeedLimitMarker=False
    ShowNextSignalMarker=False
    ShowNextSignalAspectMarker=False
    ShowSpeedLimitScreen=True
    ShowNextSignalScreen=True
    ShowScenarioMarker=False
    UsingController=False
    InvertedYAxis=False
    QuickWalk=True
    ForceFeedback=False
    QualityLevel=0
    TemporaryColorPalette=Palette1
    MasterSoundVolume=1.000000
    MusicSoundVolume=1.000000
    SFXSoundVolume=1.000000
    AmbienceSoundVolume=1.000000
    DialogueSoundVolume=1.000000
    ExternalAlertVolume=1.000000
    MenuSFXVolume=1.000000
    WindowFocus=True
    Subtitles=True
    KeyboardCulture=00000807
    PreferredFullscreenMode=1
    AudioQualityLevel=0
    FrameRateLimit=0.000000
    LastRecommendedScreenWidth=-1.000000
    LastRecommendedScreenHeight=-1.000000
    LastCPUBenchmarkResult=-1.000000
    LastGPUBenchmarkResult=-1.000000
    LastGPUBenchmarkMultiplier=1.000000
    CameraSpeed=3.000000
    TextureQuality=3
    ViewDistanceQuality=3
    OverallQualityLevel=3
    PostProcessQuality=3
    EffectsQuality=3
    CursorType=Off
    MaxFPS=0.000000
    GradeUnit=Percentage
    TemperatureUnit=Celsius
    ShowObjectiveStopAtMarker=True
    ShowCompass=True
    ShowScore=True
    UsingKeyboard=False
    bUseHDRDisplayOutput=False
    HDRDisplayOutputNits=1000
    ResolutionSizeX=3840
    ResolutionSizeY=2160
    LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeX=3840
    LastUserConfirmedResolutionSizeY=2160
    DesiredScreenWidth=3072
    DesiredScreenHeight=1728
    FullscreenMode=1
    LastConfirmedFullscreenMode=1
    FoliageQuality=3
    ShadowQuality=3
    ScreenPercentage=100.923782

[/Script/Engine.GameUserSettings]
    bUseDesiredScreenHeight=False

[ScalabilityGroups]
    sg.ViewDistanceQuality=3
    sg.AntiAliasingQuality=3
    sg.TextureQuality=3
    sg.PostProcessQuality=3
    sg.EffectsQuality=3
    sg.ShadowQuality=3
    sg.FoliageQuality=3

[Core.System]
    Paths=../../../Engine/Content
    Paths=%GAMEDIR%Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/2D/Paper2D/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/GundersonHuskyStack/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/CSXDOT117TankCar/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/CSX5201CuFtCoveredHopper/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/CSX_GP38-2/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/CSX50ftBoxCar/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/BiLevelAutorack/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/CoalHopperBethogonII/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/AC4400CW_YN3b/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/SD40-2_YN3b/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/DLC/SandPatchGrade/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/TSWArtCommonLibrary/Content
    Paths=../../../TS2Prototype/Plugins/GenericDiorama/Content

[SystemSettings]
    r.ViewDistanceScale=4
    r.Color.Mid=0.4
    r.MaterialQualityLevel=0
    r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
    r.MipMapLodBias=-1
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=3

All Nvidia settings are unchanged standard

For a test, you can simply copy away your *.ini files and insert my values.

10. Dakota

Dakota Member

Thank you! I will try over the weekend.

11. Dakota

Dakota Member

PS Where do these go? I found DefaultEngine.ini in common\Train Sim World\WindowsNoEditor but what about the other one? And do I put the engine.ini into common\Train Sim World\WindowsNoEditor next to t he DefaultEngine.ini?

12. Dakota

Dakota Member

Never mind ... I tried the NE Corridor Amtrak and was getting a solid 60fps. It is the CSX that hurts my speed. Thanks for your help. I have saved your files to try when I find where to put them.

13. Sintbert

They are in C:\Users\<YOU>\Documents\My Games\TS2Prototype\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

14. Dakota

Dakota Member

Thank you I'll try them later today. I do appreciate the help. I think the dense foliage in CSX is the problem.

15. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

What is your Screen percentage set to? That one has a HUGE impact on FPS. At 4k you ought to be able to leave it at 100% and still have a great picture. If you set it to 200%, you're basically rendering an image twice as wide, twice as tall and then squashing it back down to 4K - which will look spectacular, but will be a big performance hit.

16. DTG Matt

and ... related ... are you using DSR? If so, turn that off too - at 4K you just don't need that kind of extra processing going on IMHO.

17. Sintbert

I still use TAA, because without it, all the fences, bushes and bridges are a flickering mess as soon as you stand still.

18. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

19. DTG Matt

TAA is fine, there's no noticeable performance hit on TAA.

DSR is a setting on your nvidia drivers, the "screen percentage" thing is very similar to DSR but done by the game and controller in-game settings.

20. Dakota

Dakota Member

DSR... i will look for this in nVidia when I return from my trip. TrainSim-Matt thanks so much for engaging here! It is most appreciated. Perhaps you missed it but my rates improved greatly outside of the CSX route. On NEC Im getting 50+ except in yards etc. I believe the vegetation and mountains in CXS were taxing my system.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  21. Dakota

Dakota Member

Rudolf your guide is most excellent! I have it on my iPad in GoodReader as a basic tool. Thank you very much!!

• Like Like x 3
  22. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Thanks for your kind comments!

23. Dakota

Dakota Member

Too bad most of the other questions in my OP didn't get addressed. The FPS thing, though last, seems to have been the magnet for discussion. It always is. But those other issues...???

24. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

I hope I'm not answering an already answered question:
    Regarding the sound thing: it's simply a bug, quite a significant one IMHO. However, it will stay with us for probably a while. Matt pointed out that this is cause by the enging and is not at all easy to fix.
    Could you maybe summarize the yet unanswered questions?
    Makes it easier to find those that still need a bit of attention

• Like Like x 1
  25. DTG Matt

• How do you get the AI to operate your service without waiting for "a long time" and walk around all over, then have it ask you if you want to give up control?
    You can't at the moment unfortunately. You can only give up a service by waiting 2 minutes, or by taking over another one which will trigger the release message immediately.
    • I went back to the second/trail unit and then gave up control to the AI engineer after being asked. I wanted to see the DPU/MU settings (and they were right short hood trail). But then I tried to return to the lead loco and nothing I could do would let me jump back across. The gamepad Y never showed, and E key was non-functional. I opened and closed the chains on both units several times. Is it possible that you cannot cross when you are underway?
    You certainly can on the GP and SD but I must admit I haven't tried it on the AC in a while, if it doesn't let you that's a bug. I'll try and take a look soon and raise it if it doesn't work.
    • Why is it that sometimes I have a hard time going up and down the steps along the side of the 4400? Sometime I just can't even get up them. I try the Y key on the game pad and the E key. I run hard, I stop and try, it's hit or miss. It doesn't seem to be related to whether I am next to the rail or the hood. The Y never shows as an option like it does elsewhere.
    We have identified an issue relating to climbing "ramps" (which is what most steps are implemented as) when the ramp is twisted (as it would be on a super elevated curve). If you're not on an elevated curve then it should work ok but on an elevated curve the internal maths starts making the ramp look too steep and hence it doesn't work.
    • I also had a hell of a time getting into the lead loco cab while underway under AI control. What am I doing wrong? Once it looked like I "squeaked" in there a bit at a time, another time I made a run for it and ended up in the engineer's lap.
    Same issue with ramps I suspect.
    • If I do give up control in a service, sit in the second man seat, then use one of the external cameras, when I press 1 to come back inside (a) The locator dot is gone forever and CTRL-8 will not breing it back and (b) the sound suddenly switches back to outside sound after a few seconds. If you open and close the engineer's window, the external sounds disappear maybe for a while then come back. This never happens if you sit in second man seat and do not use external cameras.
    Interesting note about the locator dot, i'll have to look at that myself as it's not an issue i've seen. Occlusion issues on sound are a known issue, I don't have anything to report yet on potential fixes for it.
    • I have 4K monitor and GeForce 1070. 1920x1080 looks awful. The IFDs are unreadable from the seat, and other placards are unreadable except close up. So it's 4K 3840x2160 for me, and it looks great. Adjusting the display prefs and advanced stuff to make it look OK or fabulous... it doesn't seem to matter... either way it's running at 30-35fps. Is that good or bad or ??? At 1920x1080 it sits at 60fps regardless. Snow makes it worse. I know this is a universally chronic topic (why won't my $200 used notebook run this game etc.?) so just let me know if I am way off with this setup to expect over 30 fps. I'll take it from there.
    I have no experience of running the game at 4k personally, I know one of the guys here runs it at 4k with settings turned up and sits around the 30fps mark but i'm not sure what his hardware is or what others see with 4k.

Matt.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. Dakota

Dakota Member

Hey guys, especially TrainSim-Matt thanks for taking the time to respond! I understand now, and also now I know that the issues are known to the dev team. Can't ask for more than that!! Matt - just wait till you run with a high-grade 55" or larger 4K monitor and good speakers. It changes everything. Not a game any more. I tried a few types of VR goggles with X-Plane, bletch, low res, weird optics like a cheap arcade game, etc.

Anyway I can see that TSW is the result of a monumental amount of work, and it's really showing. I'm hoping for the "new US route" to be somewhere in the West. I know how tough it is to do routes in urban areas.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1