Trains In Other Games

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by d_stevanov, Aug 8, 2019.

1. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

I play world of tanks a lot, and I've noticed that in most maps there is at least one train. The game itself has nothing to do with trains, they are merely a decoration, but looks like so much attention was put into modelling trains and rail. Sometimes I ignore the game and drive around the trains to look at them.
    I was wondering are there other games like this, that have nothing to do with trains, but have trains in them, just for fun, and trains are rally nicely modeled or maybe even interactive in some way.

2. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

Red Dead Redemption 2 barely has a focus on them, but they're nicely done and you can even drive them!

• Like Like x 2
  3. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

Cool. Still waiting for pc version.

4. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

DCS world has some really nice trains. The game does not focus on them at all.

6. Canon772

Canon772 Active Member

Assassin's Creed Syndicate contains steam trains. In fact, one of the trains is the assassins hideout.

7. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow had one of my favourite missions in the game where you move on top of, though, around and under a moving train.

James Bond 007: Everything Or Nothing had a mission where Bond must fight his way along a Train, finishing in a fight with Jaws. Not only that, but the mission before has you having to chase the train and board it before you run out of road.

8. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

(Final Station) Train sim with zombies, looks like a perfect game for the current situation

9. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Ooooh - what a fabulous idea for a thread.....! Well, I have seen quite a few... honourable mentions of the games that I have played include:

Current games:
    GT Sport - including metro services and Shinkansen in Tokyo (plus earlier version of Gran Turismo)
    Fallout 76 - hyperloops and nuclear powered trains... all broken though, including the DB BR 155....although it was after the war.... !
    Everybody's Gone To The Rapture - railway station with some MkIIs and the signalman's house has a working model trainset....

A short while ago...:
    LA Noire
    - murder scene in a 1940s Los Angeles rail yard (beautiful modelling for the time)
    DIRT 4 - has a few South Eastern EMUs passing by one of the event areas
    DriveClub - Scottish track includes a viaduct with steam trains passing over...

Old school stuff...:
    Halflife 2 - lots and lots of train yards to get through, and the game starts off with you pulling into a station (if I remember correctly)
    GTA V - almost bordering on a train sim, if you have the mods to run Chinese bullet trains...
    Bioshock 2 - underwater tube shuttle network...
    The Getaway Black Monday - London Underground tube station, and I think this is the one with the tube scrapyard as well

• Like Like x 1
  10. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Gears of War anyone?
    Gears of War 1 final Act and boss wave takes place on a train.
    A few of the multiplayer maps feature trains or train station such as Tyro Station in Gears of War 1, Depths in Gears of War 3 and Asylum in Gears 5.

11. TheCadManFan

I don't know if anyone else remembers it, but there was a PS1 game called Chase The Express. It was an action thriller set entriely on a train overtaken by terrorists. Kinda like Resident Evil, replacing the zombies for terroroists, talking of which...

Resident Evil 0 was also set largely on a train if I remember right. There was also the Mission: Impossible game, which at least on the N64, had a level on a train.

12. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Some other cowboy FPS games like Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and the 1997 classic Outlaws have train levels.

13. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter has both a drivable "loco" and a powered mine trolley. Lovely Unreal 3 graphics (but perhaps not great train physics :)).

One of my favourites. Not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed it. Whatever it was about. The game mentioned above is quite similar in many ways.

14. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. I had an eye on the Ethan game... but following what you said, it is now certainly on my list for purchase. ;-)

I do buy a lot of these indy games - it's really important to support these smaller developers, and they tend to come out with amazing ideas. I still have strange dreams about Dear Esther....no trains in the Outer Hebrides, of course. But to make a game like Dear Esther is brave, and so very worthwhile.

15. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Ah yes Dear Esther, another haunting "game". Same studio. Lovely music in both of them.
    Another one in the same vain I can recommend is What Remains of Edith Finch. And indeed Firewatch if you haven't tried that out. No trains in either though. :)

16. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Second level in "Human Fall Flat" on PS4 (currently on sale as part of "Instant Indie Volume 5" for £3.29 for three games)....... has a train theme.... LOL... sort of....

Total genius of a puzzle game... ;-)

17. HamioSamio098

HamioSamio098 Well-Known Member

Lego Marvel Super Heroes has a NY subway train that you can ride in the free roam hub.

18. TheCadManFan

Forza Horizon 4 features the Flying Scotsman, that very nearly flattened me yesterday. My little 60's Mini Cooper S just made it over the crossing. Talk about squeaky bum time.

• Like Like x 1