New York Penn Tunnel Bug

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DB628, Aug 16, 2019.

1. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

This Bug happen always at the same Place when you’re driving near New York Penn on LIRR and NEC since 1 year D3EC07F7-AED7-4969-BD42-DBC1747A5321.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  2. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Oh still doing it? Haven’t tried again since the update but I’m sure I saw that was fixed in the release notes

• Like Like x 2
  3. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

I’ve tried it just after the update, and it’s still available as Bug, so it’s not fixed

• Like Like x 2
  4. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

Yep, unfortunately the bug persists. At the exact same spot (2 spots btw)
    It's not something happening randomly or hard to be fixed

• Like Like x 2
  5. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

I confirm. Still there. Please, fix it!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

That's disappointing. It was listed as fixed in the patch notes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dagrynn

Dagrynn Member

Yep, still there. *sigh*

• Like Like x 1
  8. ildario77

Did anybody submit a ticket for this? I just submitted one. I love this game, but is not acceptable that such a big issue is still unfixed after months. It totally kills the experience. That's why I put LIRR and NEC on hold, despite my love for urban sceneries...

• Like Like x 3
  9. dac634

dac634 New Member

Saw this today as well...

• Like Like x 1
  10. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Matt TrainSim-Dmitri please fix this Bug in the Next weeks, it’s disappointed to see a One Year Bug still included, it makes no fun to play in the New York Tunnel, because there two parts, the second is when you drive on NEC New York in Destination to Newark.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ren007nix

ren007nix New Member

I also have this bug. Everytime at the same spot.

12. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

do the services to and from Atlantic Terminal.

• Like Like x 2
  13. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

True but I want to do it from penn too

14. ildario77

I completed the scenario Maintenance Maneuver last night and everything was fine. Maybe the tunnel disappears just in timetable mode...

15. Crochunter1970

Crochunter1970 Active Member

Yep, it still happens on the xbox version. Sadly, its not fixed as tge patch notes promised.

16. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Oh wow..... I had just posted...waxing lyrical about how wonderful TSW is on the PS4:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/lirr-jamaica-journey-fails-at-start.17742/#post-93051

Then I thought I would test out this Penn Tunnel issue - expecting to have no problem. But there is a problem here. If you head down the tunnel at over 50mph, the sim can't draw the wall textures fast enough. Even if you are pinned to the driver's seat. This is weird, because the sim design for the tunnel could have been done with quite few resources - the wall textures are mostly duplicated, so they can be ready in memory for recall and display, faster than the swish of a cat's tail (and even faster....).

So I stopped the train and had a look at the build, expecting to see outrageously high definition wall textures. Nope - actually, they are really low definition. Poor quality even (and this is not a big problem for me - as they don't really need to be high quality). These textures really should not be lagging when loading. Especially since outside the tunnel there is absolutely nothing to draw to soak up resources.

Then I saw the construction of the prims. Oh wow. This was done in some hurry, in a totally slap-dash way. The concrete blocks actually massively overlap each other, which would make drawing them over and over again extremely resource intensive (the structure becomes overly complex to render).

To fix this issue the entire tunnel would need to be rebuilt, from scratch, by someone capable of building and joining prims with some precision, without overlaps or misaligned seams. It would probably take about ten to fifteen hours, maybe a bit more to clean up the ends. Then you could upgrade the textures and also have a really nice looking wall, that didn't lag.

The thing that disappointed me the most, however, is that the tunnel doesn't have a floor, or a continuous floor. (Yes, you fall into the nether world....). It's really incredibly bad design - because it is possible to stop the LIRR train, open the front door, and drop down to the tracks. This is foreseeable. It might even be desirable. So - the world, in the tunnel, must be designed with a physical floor. It isn't. Truly shocking.

EDITED TO NOTE: In this post I said "outside the tunnel there is absolutely nothing to draw to soak up resources". This is potentially incorrect. After the "Change at Jamaica" scenario was fixed, I realised that Long Island City (LIC) is built above these tunnels, and these LIC artefacts are being drawn (but hidden from normal view), while you are in the tunnel, soaking up processing resources - I will revisit this. There is a problem with just one of the four tunnels - so this is fixable.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

The other tunnels stream correctly, I don't think it's a memory issue or something like this. So basically they forgot to render this particular tunnel correctly IMO.

18. ildario77

I beg you: apply for a job at DTG :D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019