1960s Motorail Ads Uk Netherlands West Germany France And Belgium. Includes Possible Reactivation

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by driverwoods#1787, Mar 24, 2022.

1. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Hi guys it's me Driverwoods#1787 and I found retours.eu website which had a section dedicated for Motorail trains DB Autoreisezug British Railway Motorail SNCB SNCF Trains Auto Couchette Dutch language NMBS NS Dutch Railway Autoslaaptrein. Those ads date back to the 1960s during their golden age. One of the interesting aspects was that Amsterdam had a motorail dock at Amsterdam Amstel station. While SNCB/NMBS started theirs in 1956 with the Oostende Munchen Ost for use by UK travellers. SNCF had the unique Bristol Freighter plane to bring British Drivers their motorail services My question is this should the motorail docks mentioned in the website be reactivated or not? If reactivated Amsterdam Amstel and SNCB NMBS Brussels Schaarbeek will have OBB Autoreisezug to Innsbruck Hbf & Wien Hbf EN420/421 via Duisburg Dusseldorf. While the Brussels Schaarbeek EN424/425 gets them to Innsbruck Hbf with both motorail trains being combined at Koln Hbf since EN424/425 uses the entire SKA route. SNCF will benefit from the UK driver network using Calais & Boulogne motorail docks if reactivated. The UK towards Scottish Highlands and Cornwall from London. Cornwall motorail dock is seen at West Cornwall Local Penzance station.
    Overall these are the reasons why they should be reactivated in my opinion

2. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

Nice vintage ads, thanks for sharing. Really feels like we've lost that slight sense of magic about travel, privatized companies just don't have room to make these sort of lifestyle adverts and flights mean we don't take Awaydays and Weekenders any more.

Disagree that the services should be restarted though - they faded away for a reason, or several. We have high speed trains now, much better rail network integration across Europe and we should be getting away from car infrastructure where possible. It just isn't as necessary to take your car wherever you go. Mail trains, however...

3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good point but I wonder why is OBB still running the Innsbruck Hamburg Wien Spit/Livorno services and so is CD ZSSK Prague to Kosice EN 442/443