A Few Things I've Noriced While Driving Cane Creek

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Aug 14, 2021.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

First and foremost, I've learned how to open the hatches on the covered hoppers: a real adventure that has its ups and downs. This doesn't occur in every one of the scenarios/services that involve loading covered hoppers, by the way -- why not? and why isn't this daring activity mentioned in the user's manual?

Skyhook hasn't decided which door should be used to enter the AC4400CW. The tutorial forces you to use the cab's back door (located on the right side behind the engineer's seat) and will not proceed until you have used that specific door. However, in at least one activity, you must use the engine's front door and cannot proceed until you do so.

In the activity that forces front door entry, you learn how to set up leading and trailing engines, which requires a lot of walking.

The LDP-46 Part 2 scenario is the only one I've encountered so far that involves a "conversation" with the dispatcher, but this takes place only in the form of written exchanges. Since instructions are frequently spoken in tutorial sessions, wouldn't it have been interesting to have the dispatcher's and engineer's voices heard in this conversation?

2. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

can you not just use ctrl and - instead of having to walk to the trailing locos?

3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

How did you open the hatches? Did you use the "8" camera or walk and climb up?

4. LastTrainToClarksville

Walked and climbed up and down, etc. In this scenario, only the last 3 cars of the long train need to be loaded (a credible explanation for this is given). I'm not lazy enough to use the 8 key -- pardon my sense of immersion: I must be a method simmer.

5. LastTrainToClarksville

See my comment to Crosstie in the post just above this one.

6. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

But in reality you as the driver wouldn’t be doing all that stuff. The conductor, yard worker or other person would do it whilst you sit in your seat and wait so for me using ctrl and - or the 8 key isn’t immersion breaking in any way at all as it’s doing things that aren’t the driver’s responsibility.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

My reluctance to walk and climb is not laziness, it's age related. :).
    (at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it )

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1