PC A New German Route? The Niddertalbahn

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Cash, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I agree. Personally I always prefer trains with front skirts over without one. Bit of a shame the Niddertalbahn version doesn't have one. Did DB never put skirt on them?

2. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Very smart

3. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

They did on the DB red ones. I think they are 628.2 or so, later models. But I didn't like the 425 for the same reason, visually, and while I'm typing this I'm in one and it kinda grew on me over the years. So I'll see !

I'll still mod it a skirt tho at release :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Omnicitywife

Omnicitywife Well-Known Member

nobody said anything about the "swastika", the locomotive is the interesting part here.

BF did not have that either, case in point...

Besides, I'm pretty sure murdering people as a Nazi in a video game should be worse than showing a swastika in a video game.

You aren't sure what you arguing about here, you just want to argue, isn't it? Anyway, it's not worth, let's end it here.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Prototypical or not, I would install a front skirt mod in a heartbeat, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

This thread is very close to swaying off topic completely, if conversation doesn't remain to focus around Niddertalbahn from this point forward then I will have to lock the thread.

Politcal debating is best kept out of the discussions and is highly off-topic.

• Like Like x 18
  7. Kangaroo Conductor

Same ! I'm currently trying myself on scenery mods so far, but if there is a reason to start to learn how to mod trains, it's that ! Not that the content in the DLC is in any way bad without it - it's just that I learned to love that unit with it's skirt, and kinda miss it here.

8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Absolutely spot on and for the destination sign on the train it will end up using the German name Schluckenau for Šluknov. Pretty much a legacy of the old Austria-Hungary since the Czech Republic was part of it. If you play around with the destination sign on DB Baureihe 628 Niddertalbahn. Key reason for it is that the original language name is very hard to pronounce for a German speaker that's why they tend to use the old German names for cities in Poland and Czech Republic that were under Germany or Austrian control 100-200 years ago. Interestingly DB Baureihe 628 might display Stettin Prag Brünn Aussig Bodenbach Bad Schandau & Dresden Neustadt if present. The last two are actually programmable on Doppelstockwagen 767.2 766.2 780 785 Nahverkehr Dresden destination signs

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  9. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

In order not to let the thread digress and to focus on the Niddertalbahn again, I found something interesting about steam operation here! The steamer from the poster in the Training Center would fit perfectly, in combination with some original silver looking n-wagons. In the north-eastern terminus of the route: Glauburg-Stockheim it's time for to change the direction of the locomotive and to fill up with water before the return journey. So you could place a corresponding scenario here. Unless I'm totally wrong the first German steam locomotive for TSW should thus be carved in stone, as it also goes well with the railway museum in Chemnitz-Hilbersdorf. ;)

Niddertalbahn BR52.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  10. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say carved in stone, as both the if and how of German steam are still very undetermined. DTG doesn't show too much enthousiasm for steam outside the UK (possibilly in part due to the fact that the physics and stuff aren't quite right yet), so whether steam will come isn't a certain matter yet. That is further compounded by the fact that there seems to be a bit less interest in steam from German players judging on DTG's comments and forum activity. And then the question of how arises. Will they add it in a railtour/museum form (in which case the BR 52 is a very logical choice), or will they add a dedicated period route (shameless self plug here: Moselstrecke Koblenz-Wittlich(-Trier) in the 1970s) for German steam, in which case the BR 52 isn't too certain.

In any case, to not stray from the topic too much, I do think a steam layer on Niddertalbahn would be really nice. It has a very calm pace, and would probably be a good fit for it. DCZ has other charms (like the two museums on the line) that make it a good fit aswell. Steam will stay a very hypothetical thing for Germany though.

• Like Like x 2
  11. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Unless you're talking about a railtour, steam was long gone from German rails by 1991; the 52 was retired in 1962. DTG aren't going to develop a new loco just for a railtour. (Also, DB used the war-built 2-10-0s almost exclusively for freight, preferring prewar Einheits Pacifics for passenger service).

While it is probable that some n-Wagen might still have remained unpainted by 1991, I expect that most were mint-green by then.

12. driverwoods#1787

There are two versions of the locomotive which one would fit this route Deutsche Bundesbahn 052 or Deutsche Reichsbahn Rekolok 52.80? Perhaps the development team should look at old Deutsche Bundesbahn Bahndirektion Frankfurt am Main documents on which steam locomotive was actually used on Niddertalbahn Bad Vilbel Stockheim. For those documents steam locomotive is written as Dampflok. Another possibility are DB Baureihe 065 & 082 locomotives since Bundesbahndirektion Frankfurt am Main should have them in their depots which would have covered Bahnstrecke Bad Vilbel Stockheim Niddertalbahn.

• Like Like x 1
  13. solicitr

In 1991 the DB and DR were still separate railways

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. driverwoods#1787

Correct and for DR they still had steam locomotives at this point here's one from 1992
    Bahnstrecke Frankfurt am Main/Glauburg-Stockheim Gelnhausen Fulda Bebra Gerstungen Eisenach Erfurt Leipzig Riesa Dresden Hauptbahnhof

Video 2
    Plandampf Pößneck

Niddertalbahn under Bundesbahndirektion Frankfurt am Main would have operated DB Baureihe 044 052 for Plandampf in the same era 1991.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

So it looks like I'm the only supporter for German steam locomotives in TSW at the moment? I think there is always silence in the forest when something is planned. Since developers like to have the element of surprise on their side, i.e. this year's summer surprise is still pending. But also US steam locomotives would be a great addition to TSW in general. Not because Sherman Hill has recently been optically upgraded and it's the home of US steamers like Big Boy & Co. That's why I'm not giving up hope so easily on this topic. Only steam operation in the UK and not in the other two major sales markets would be too monotonous in the long run. Furthermore it took so long from the development side to program steam locomotives correctly in the UE4 and only diesel and electric do not reflect the entire fascination of the railway. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Certainly not the only one, but it might still be a minority. DTG never did much steam traction for TSC either.

Nopes, but they could perhaps combine it with a heritage railway. DTG did the Wutachtalbahn for TSC, so there might be some hope for German steam traction.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...there is a saying never say never. I don't think it makes sense at the moment to develop a historical steam route like SOS for Germany, but rail tours are simply a must have. In addition, there is a suitable route with DCZ, which Matt rated as suitable for steam locomotives in the preview stream. With the Niddertalbahn there is another candidate and maybe you could also let a historic steam train run on the Linke Rheinstrecke with all the castles in the background.

• Like Like x 2
  18. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

They still haven’t managed to do UK steam engines properly. Still no control over the fire so instead of the excellent sounds they recorded we get to listen to the safety valves constantly.

• Like Like x 2
  19. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Even when the safety valves aren’t blowing off, at anything above 30 MPH the sound on the Jubilee and 8F simply becomes a muffled roar with frequent sound dropouts.

• Like Like x 1
  20. solicitr

Props to TSG for doing the 365 instead of just cloning the 363 (didn't exist until 1997) yet again. They're subtly different beyond the era-appropriate cab layout: the 365 had the original Maybach engine, whereas the 363s are those re-engined with Caterpillar diesels , so the sound should be different as well.

(This does point up a criticism I have always had of the blue 363: no 363 ever wore Ocean Blue in DB service, because they didn't exist before the Traffic Red era. The model for the one DTG uses is a museum loco in an anachronistic heritage livery)

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

That is quite interesting, I was sure some of the re-engined 365s kept the blue paint. I may very well be wrong, though. I always assumed so, never crossed my mind that it could be different, I must admit. Which is the blue museum 363, do you know?

22. solicitr

Even by the time of the re-engining, it had been ten years since the change from blue to Orient red. Besides, if a loco goes into the works for something as major as an engine change, it's going to get a new coat of paint before it leaves. And certainly as of 2019 no DB locomotive of any class was still blue!*

This one:
    [​IMG]

It's in Aachen, owned by AIXrail, an interesting hybrid of leasing company/working heritage railroad. Notice that its actual private ownership and registration number are discreetly painted on the frame; the old DB logo and serial are there for historicity.

Here it is in DB red:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. solicitr

Interestingly, the Köln-Aachen route is home to no fewer than three ocean-blue V 60s in private hands: this one, and a 261 and 365 operated by the Aggerbahn based in Wiehl.

• Like Like x 2
  24. driverwoods#1787

You are correct but when it comes to German Steam tractions you would be stuck with two types of locomotive Deutsche Reichsbahn Rekolok 52.80 Neubaulok 65.10 99 Deutsche Bundesbahn 086 052 044 082 085 095 010 005. The last two are German Spirit of Steam high speed steam locomotives 010 005. While 044 is equipped for Hollandstrecke Duisburg Oberhausen Arnhem ATB EG pre 1966 electrification on the international section Arnhem Zevenaar Emmerich am Rhein Oberhausen Duisburg Hbf. That was before 110.3 103 went up to the Border Station Emmerich am Rhein 15kv 1.5kv DC

25. driverwoods#1787

Spot on and Niddertalbahn needs the ability to load sugar onto the freight cars here's how it's done in real life the video is in German language

• Like Like x 4
  26. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

Well it does have that according to TSGs Interview in the roadmap. Probably the first time of actually loading German freight cars.

• Like Like x 2
  27. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Just because it was hardly ever mentioned anywhere: Really appreciate to have a little 2-axle freight car. That's a first for german freight!

• Like Like x 7
  28. lux#4689

lux#4689 Well-Known Member

yes, the surprise BR 365 (with I60, not PZB90) and the Es050 is way underrated.

• Like Like x 3
  29. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am as excited for the 365 and the freight workings as I am for the DMU.

I am sure I had a HO gauge model of a shunter like that when I was a child.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  30. e.leerentveld

e.leerentveld Member

The only 044 I know of that's equipped for ATB is the 044 1593-1: that's a museum loco with the Veluwsche Stoomtrein Maatschappij in the Netherlands. ATB was retrofitted on it (in a simplified version) so it can legally run on mainline sections.

Back in 1977, when the last 044's ran in service with DB, ATB wasn't mandatory for foreign loco's (in fact, a lot of the Dutch loco's at the time didn't even have ATB yet as the roll out wasn't yet completed).

• Like Like x 1
  31. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Love that. Finally older Indusi and not just PZB 90.

• Like Like x 1
  32. driverwoods#1787

This will open the possibility of loading Falns 183 coal wagon if an appropriate route with a Coal loading facility is built and Eas Eaos open wagons down the road.

33. driverwoods#1787

Get it now but for Niddertalbahn owners I can only see the 628 & 365 being restricted to the German side of these international routes Bad Bentheim for Bremen Hengelo line Emmerich am Rhein Duisburg (HRR) to Utrecht Centraal route and Bad Nieuweschans on the Wunderline Bremen Oldenburg Groningen. I wonder if Niddertalbahn can give Bremen Oldenburg trains

34. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

So Lukas had apparently uploaded some Niddertalbahn screenshots to his website to show them to a friend, and he didn’t know the public could see them… so that’s how we ended up with some beautiful new screenshots, although they were taken a few weeks ago and don’t show newer changes like the updated BR 628 exterior. Lukas removed the screenshots within minutes, so I’m not going to post them here, but you know the Discord has it all.

There’s also a nice new screenshot which Lukas posted as a “compensation” for deleting the older ones he had accidentally published:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 20
  35. solicitr

Dang, that looks gorgeous

• Like Like x 1
  36. Suomen surkein junakuski

Suomen surkein junakuski Well-Known Member

The colors! :love:

I have a feeling, that this will be the best looking German route in TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  37. traindori

traindori Well-Known Member

The anticipation is rising. Nice branch line feeling of the "good old days".

38. OldVern

Looking like Day One… only proviso being the 628 has correct sounds and not recycled from the 612.

39. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

WOW! Picturesque, transpiring peace and coziness. TSG always walks the extra-mile.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

This is Glauburg-Stockheim, the north-eastern terminus of the route. In 1992 there must have been a roundhouse at the top end, complete with a turntable. But it is hard to see in this screenshot.

BTW: the scenery looks very nice!

41. fabienlimp95

fabienlimp95 Well-Known Member

Certainly not ! I cant just imagine they putting a poster of whats clearly a BR 52 steamer on the Training Center just not to bring it into the Game. The 52 is one of the most build Locos ever and there are so many around today. So its 'easy' to get references aswell for this.... Im just waiting till it's happening. :)

42. lux#4689

lux#4689 Well-Known Member

That poster was already a collectible on Dresden-Chemnitz. And we did not yet get a 52 ...

43. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...as they say in Germany: wait and drink tea. I do believe that the poster is an Easteregg. Since steam locomotives are now possible in TSW and neither a German nor an American steam locomotive has been announced so far, it is certainly already being tinkered with in the background. Let's wait and see if we know more after the annual summer surprise. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  44. Kangaroo Conductor

Mat and JD in the roadmap stream litterally said they are doing these routes to "do small steps towards the past", as doing routes with only little era differences allowes them to use more existing assets, rather than doing everything new for an old route. So it's just a matter of times until we have a german steam route. Since we are slowly moving towards the 70s here

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
  45. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Preview scheduled for next Thursday 16th therefore the release the following week 23rd?

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  46. OldVern

I just want to relive sitting on those hard plastic seats in the UIC express coaches...

BM232.jpg

or the original Silberlinge...

Silber.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  47. solicitr

Gotta admit, the old Umbaus were way more comfortable.

48. driverwoods#1787

If you are wondering what version fits here it has to be Deutsche Bundesbahn Bahndirektion Frankfurt am Main Baureihe 052. since there are two versions of that locomotive existing in the 1990s Nahverkehr Dresden Tharandter Rampe Reichsbahndirektion Dresden 52.80 & Bahnstrecke Wuppertal Steinbeck Hagen Hbf Rhein Ruhr Osten Ruhr-Sieg Strecke Hagen Finnentrop Siegen 052 this is under the jurisdiction of Bahndirektion Köln

49. driverwoods#1787

For the picture on the top it will simply run past the route Bad Vilbel & Nidderau due to them being electrified stations the bottom will actually run here although missing the matching locomotive DB Baureihe 218 & DB 212-214 V100 the West German answer to DB Baureihe 204 DR V100. For DLC 212-214 with original Silberlinge another version will have to be duo-headed iron ore Bremen Oldenburg

• Like Like x 1
  50. driverwoods#1787

Good story and if you are into model railroading you are looking for Märklin group which includes Trix for these trains DB Baureihe 628 365 Eas Eanos freight cars. That way you can actually create a model Niddertalbahn Bad Vilbel Glauburg-Stockheim using Märklin group model railroad. The same manufacturer also makes Linke Rheinstrecke Koblenz Bingen Mainz Frankfurt am Main Hbf DB Baureihe 103 110.3 N-wagen IC Carriages on this route they are simply passing traffic at both Bad Vilbel & Nidderau due them having 15kv 16.7hz AC OHLE

• Like Like x 1