A Question About Tilting Trains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chiguiroclaudio99, Sep 29, 2019.

1. chiguiroclaudio99

chiguiroclaudio99 New Member

Hello forum,

I have a question anout tilting trains and especially tilting trains in Germany/Austria (ICE-T), in Switzerland (ICN) or US (Acela).

So tilting trains are meant to tilt because they can take corners quicker than non-tilting trains, much like how professional Moto GP riders drive around corners. But in Train Simulator it doesn't matter what train you're driving, you always have to comply to line speed limit, and I'm espcially thinking about the Munich to Garmisch line with the ICE-T. What's the point of having a tilting train if it's just going to drive at the same line speed as a similar non-tilting train around corners ?

In the UK they have clearly not done this, since the APT or the Pendolino comply to different line speed limits. Then why do the SBB, DB or Amtrak develop high-speed tilting trains if they're still limited by the line speed ? Or is it one of the many problems that exist within Train Sim that Dovetail Games didn't bother to model into their game ?

Cheers

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Just because a train can tilt does not mean it can tilt everywhere.
    On the WCML in the UK the Pendolino and Voyager trains can only tilt in locations that have been cleared.
    In other locations the trains have to run at line speed.

And the reason to tilt is not always to go faster but to have a more comfortable journey.
    A professional Moto GP rider can take a corner at the same speed as a normal car but he is not pushed outwards doing so.
    I suspect the real Garmisch does not have Speed Differentials for the ICE-T

Peter